Author Topic: Session Skate  (Read 44819 times)

OrangeVHStapes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 84
Re: Session Skate
« Reply #150 on: January 31, 2022, 10:27:14 AM »
Big new update drops sometime in February... It says it will address the "flow" of the skater amongst lots of other things. I love the game, been playing it since day one on xbox... Wish I had a gaming PC or something to play some of the moded maps I've seen but it's still great and far superior to skater XL un-moded in my opinion...

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CXmHIThlqil/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

This is a little recent edit I made. 

Space Cowboy

• Rep: 69
« Reply #151 on: January 31, 2022, 02:07:14 PM »
Big new update drops sometime in February... It says it will address the "flow" of the skater amongst lots of other things. I love the game, been playing it since day one on xbox... Wish I had a gaming PC or something to play some of the moded maps I've seen but it's still great and far superior to skater XL un-moded in my opinion...

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CXmHIThlqil/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

This is a little recent edit I made.

Hyped to hear about this update, I also strongly prefer Session over Skater XL

Palm

• Rep: 0
    • Palm Discord avatar image
« Reply #152 on: February 02, 2022, 06:01:39 AM »
Haha that’s the beauty of playing a pre alpha game.
Skater animations has always been in placeholder.

From the recent roadmap, next February update will be still a pre alpha build for the public. And the June update would a jump to Beta, before the fall V1

The June update should have a significant skater animations update.

I mean I've been playing since day 1 and got pretty used to it, but every time there's an update it looks worse for me. Like my character actually looks like they're wearing a diaper when they push lol.
Session mods available on our discord
http://bit.ly/PalmApparel

Ambient Johnny

• Rep: -14
« Reply #153 on: February 02, 2022, 08:47:36 AM »

It was quite literally posted on the previous page dude...

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #154 on: February 02, 2022, 03:52:12 PM »
I really hope they do improve the flow and feel of the skater.  I know the little glitches will all be fixed, but the fundemental feeling & weighting of the character sucks.  Let me lean into a turn & use my weight to go into a powerslide.  Use this mechanic to do slappies, wallies & wall rides.  Make it a battle of physics to do high ledge slappies.  Just open up the physics of the game to make it possible to push your skater do to shit rather than just flips & grinds.  Lemme grab a rail and do a layback on a bank & grind the top.  Just wanna fang around feelin' cool.

Prinzy

• Rep: 178
« Reply #155 on: February 02, 2022, 09:59:10 PM »
was bored, made this

now i wanna make another

spongebob is lit and if i see any spongebob slander i'm pulling up to your house and beating your ass

Ambient Johnny

« Reply #156 on: February 08, 2022, 07:53:06 AM »

Space Cowboy

• Rep: 69
« Reply #157 on: February 08, 2022, 11:09:53 AM »
Update is finally dropping next week.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/861650/view/3085531126955650833

Super hyped on them continuing to add locations, also they keep smoothing out the gameplay, lots of integrity from Crea-ture and that is why i love smaller game studios

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #158 on: February 08, 2022, 12:31:55 PM »
How's the state of this on PC? I've primarily been a console gamer but I just got my hands on a 3080 TI graphics card and my pc should be done in a few days. I've played Skater XL on console extensively but am curious to which of these games is better with mods.

ssbsminotti

• Rep: -8
« Reply #159 on: February 09, 2022, 04:08:38 AM »
How's the state of this on PC? I've primarily been a console gamer but I just got my hands on a 3080 TI graphics card and my pc should be done in a few days. I've played Skater XL on console extensively but am curious to which of these games is better with mods.

Right now, Skater XL is better on pc with mods. But they are two very different games in my opinion, I play both regularly.

krookedjuice

• Rep: 31
« Reply #160 on: February 09, 2022, 09:40:13 AM »
Expand Quote

Super hyped on them continuing to add locations, also they keep smoothing out the gameplay, lots of integrity from Crea-ture and that is why i love smaller game studios

I hope this keeps up after full release.

i remember when it first released on xbox i really did not like anything besides how it looked and now, while it still has issues, is such a fun game. looking forward to the gameplay update the most.

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #161 on: February 09, 2022, 01:27:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Right now, Skater XL is better on pc with mods. But they are two very different games in my opinion, I play both regularly.

What would you say they do differently? I like Skater XL's controls a fair bit in comparison to Skate but a lot of the vanilla levels are lackluster... too small, objects that are the wrong proportion to skate properly, etc. Also wish I could do stuff like wallrides and that.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 02:50:20 PM by Theme For A Jackal »

goddamnyou

• Rep: 11
« Reply #162 on: February 10, 2022, 05:35:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

What would you say they do differently? I like Skater XL's controls a fair bit in comparison to Skate but a lot of the vanilla levels are lackluster... too small, objects that are the wrong proportion to skate properly, etc. Also wish I could do stuff like wallrides and that.

Skater XL is definitely not as good IMO. Basically for the reasons you listed above, and also the controls in Session are much much more granular/customizable, you can customize how you rotate, how you flick, how you pop, how you catch... I haven't played session in a few months, and when I did they had just started adding manual tricks, and there was no balance mechanism in the manuals yet, so you just automatically manualled perfectly. 

Aside from the controls, the levels in Session are a lot better, and the devs are better. The skaterXL people are kind of shady. I regret buying skaterXL on playstation, it's definitely still an early access game in how it feels/plays but they just made it 1.0 to get it into these console stores.

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #163 on: February 10, 2022, 06:01:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Skater XL is definitely not as good IMO. Basically for the reasons you listed above, and also the controls in Session are much much more granular/customizable, you can customize how you rotate, how you flick, how you pop, how you catch... I haven't played session in a few months, and when I did they had just started adding manual tricks, and there was no balance mechanism in the manuals yet, so you just automatically manualled perfectly. 

Aside from the controls, the levels in Session are a lot better, and the devs are better. The skaterXL people are kind of shady. I regret buying skaterXL on playstation, it's definitely still an early access game in how it feels/plays but they just made it 1.0 to get it into these console stores.

I'm pretty happy with Skater XL on Playstation for the most part though I definitely think it should've been closer to the $20 price point instead of $40. Easyday seems legit to me though I understand they don't communicate with the community as much as people like.

I'll probably try Sessions on PC first just because it's cheaper and I haven't played it at all though really it sounds like mods change these games completely anyways. The customization of Sessions sounds awesome.

Palm

« Reply #164 on: February 10, 2022, 06:21:59 AM »
The problem with XL, is that it made think the community that you need mods to enjoy a game. And unfortunately the first question of new players on Session is « what mods I need to play Session ».

When you don’t need any mods, the game is already good vanilla. Right now mods are only to customs your T-shirt and decks or playing some community maps. But ultimately console players can enjoy Session like PC player.

The only thing tho, that I would recommend if you have access to it. Is to play Session on a 4K Monitor/TV (at 4K resolution obviously) for better immersion, into the very high level of details in the graphics.

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #165 on: February 12, 2022, 10:12:50 AM »
Picked up Session and it’s definitely going to be an adjustment. I could do very technical tricks in vanilla Skater XL but I’m playing Session on Hardcore and I’m struggling to even catch flick tricks lol

Palm

« Reply #166 on: February 12, 2022, 11:06:59 AM »
Picked up Session and it’s definitely going to be an adjustment. I could do very technical tricks in vanilla Skater XL but I’m playing Session on Hardcore and I’m struggling to even catch flick tricks lol

hardcore setting is not even the hardest, when you try to play with loosen trucks and grind alignement to zero, wheelbite on, its here the real challenge is beginning.

Also, keep in mind, your set up has physics, small decks will flip faster than wide decks, large truck makes grinds to lock easier, big wheels goes faster, but you will wheelbite more etc etc..

Palm

« Reply #167 on: February 12, 2022, 11:10:14 AM »
The rumor is saying that the update should be Wednesday or Thursday.
until then, here some stuff to watch'n'read.

- A documentary about Crea-ture devs made a few years ago, for the launch of their V 0.0.0.5 build.
its interesting to watch to know them better and see/understand their vision for the game

- a community skate mag about Session, Issue 1 from last year. I recommend to read it from a computer instead of a phone
https://issuu.com/primosessionmagazine/docs/primo01

skate_bored

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #168 on: February 13, 2022, 12:05:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

hardcore setting is not even the hardest, when you try to play with loosen trucks and grind alignement to zero, wheelbite on, its here the real challenge is beginning.

Also, keep in mind, your set up has physics, small decks will flip faster than wide decks, large truck makes grinds to lock easier, big wheels goes faster, but you will wheelbite more etc etc..

i came from skaterXL and when i got session i found a youtube video where the guy showed the most "realistic" settings. aka the hardest. i have been playing since november and i still suck so bad but its so much fun. finally getting to the point where i was on day one of skaterxl. its so sick.

alraunen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 244
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #169 on: February 14, 2022, 08:14:13 AM »
The new update is coming on Thursday, confirmed on their Instagram

OrangeVHStapes

• Rep: 84
« Reply #170 on: February 14, 2022, 08:14:49 AM »
Update is this Thursday the 17th…

Also I made this because I enjoy wasting my time apparently.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CZ9h1FflU9V/?utm_medium=copy_link

doyle

• Rep: 213
« Reply #171 on: February 14, 2022, 10:30:38 AM »
I've been a "Skater XL is way better than Session" guy forever (console and PC player), but this weekend decided to actually sit down and force myself to play Session for more than 10 minutes before the big update and found it surprisingly fun. I still think that a lot of the Session animations look worse than Skater XL's, but I finally think I understand the SXL haters' point of view.

It's cool how the controls are somewhat similar (right foot/left foot on the sticks) but so different to SXL at the same time. Both feel very intuitive in their own way and it's kind of fun to have the challenge of learning new controls again. Console Skater XL is obviously the worst, but I still find modded SXL and console Session both super fun for different reasons. I think if SXL could get the best of the mods added to the console version (mostly just the realism aspects) there would be a lot less Skater XL vs. Session talk and more people enjoying both.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #172 on: February 15, 2022, 12:09:35 AM »
I've been a "Skater XL is way better than Session" guy forever (console and PC player), but this weekend decided to actually sit down and force myself to play Session for more than 10 minutes before the big update and found it surprisingly fun. I still think that a lot of the Session animations look worse than Skater XL's, but I finally think I understand the SXL haters' point of view.

It's cool how the controls are somewhat similar (right foot/left foot on the sticks) but so different to SXL at the same time. Both feel very intuitive in their own way and it's kind of fun to have the challenge of learning new controls again. Console Skater XL is obviously the worst, but I still find modded SXL and console Session both super fun for different reasons. I think if SXL could get the best of the mods added to the console version (mostly just the realism aspects) there would be a lot less Skater XL vs. Session talk and more people enjoying both.

Has there been any talk of this happening? I know it took crazy long time before something as big as Skyrim mods got integrated into the console version. Would be sick though. SXL right now is a "have 25 minutes to kill" kinda game, but I'd love to be able to dig into the mods.

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #173 on: February 15, 2022, 06:57:29 AM »

I gotta be honest, I'm playing vanilla Sessions on PC and I think I prefer console SXL but I'm trying to give it a fair shot, unlearn my SXL habits and see what Sessions does that's unique

doyle

• Rep: 213
« Reply #174 on: February 15, 2022, 11:14:32 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Has there been any talk of this happening? I know it took crazy long time before something as big as Skyrim mods got integrated into the console version. Would be sick though. SXL right now is a "have 25 minutes to kill" kinda game, but I'd love to be able to dig into the mods.

Not that I'm aware of, and I can't see it ever happening at this point.

Playing Session now gives me the same feeling as when I first started SXL (or even Skate way back in the day), where you could focus on trying one trick for like 10 minutes. Things like trying to line a grind up correctly is still hard enough that it's rewarding when things work right. Tough to say what it'll feel like once it becomes more second nature the way Skate and SXL are though.

Ambient Johnny

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #176 on: February 17, 2022, 02:30:21 PM »
You counts copped the new update?

Kick flips are so fast you can barely see em. You need to barely flick to get them looking half good

Turning and pushing is way better but you still can’t lean into a turn. OG Skate still rules for that shit.

The rotation system is way better but takes some getting used to

Feels way better to skate ledges etc. 

All over more solid but still got those spaghetti ankles

CanadianBacon

• Rep: -70
« Reply #177 on: February 17, 2022, 02:35:01 PM »
You counts copped the new update?

Kick flips are so fast you can barely see em. You need to barely flick to get them looking half good

Turning and pushing is way better but you still can’t lean into a turn. OG Skate still rules for that shit.

The rotation system is way better but takes some getting used to

Feels way better to skate ledges etc. 

All over more solid but still got those spaghetti ankles

Loving it so far.  Make sure you turn your animations on in experimental.   It's just the first sample of animations but they're really crisp.  The update is always a bit buggy at first, but they will send out a patch soon most likely.  Now, if we could just get some shoes besides Fallen and Es, we'd be set.    You can also slow down your kickflips snd scoop tricks in advanced settings fyi.   I slow down my rotation speed too. 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 03:11:09 PM by CanadianBacon »

alraunen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 244
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #178 on: February 17, 2022, 03:21:59 PM »
Played for a few hours and overall feels much better, the gameplay now flows more and it's easier to do lines.

Missions are nothing special, they need to work on the user interface to make them more attractive and easy to track.

I had lots of framerate issues playing on my Xbox One, but changed the map and suddenly worked perfectly after that.

slappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1213
« Reply #179 on: February 17, 2022, 03:33:32 PM »
Update is good, but a little underwhelming. It seems odd to make the biggest new map FDR when the game absolutely does not have transition skating figured out yet.
CRACK RAIDER RAZOR