Author Topic: HOT LITTLE TAKES  (Read 30056 times)

mooraga

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
Re: HOT LITTLE TAKES
« Reply #120 on: January 18, 2023, 11:03:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Buying a different model of shoe every time seems crazy to me, how do you guys ever get anything done
[close]
I buy different variations on slip ons. They’re not that different. If I bought D3s one month and then half cabs the next that might be an issue.

I was always trying new models, vulc or cup, even slip ons, but at somepoint around 2013 I moved to one of the biggest cities in my country: spots everywhere, better weather, a huge local scene, a LOT of skating. I had to stop using vulc cause my feet would hurt daily after so much pushing out there with the dudes. VANS got forever erased from my shoe option list quickly.
Since then this is my method: Of any shoe I like the way skates/feels I'd try to get as much colors of it to skate (or the same one i dont care really) I'll even buy them on sale months even before actually skating them. I liked to skate the same shoe/board always, if possible.
Its been mostly corpo shoes and some DC'S since then, some memorable ones: NB#868: 7 pairs, Adidas sheltoe: 6 pairs, Nike Project BA: 4 Pairs, Adidas copa nationale: 4 pairs, Adidas Busenitz: 5 pairs, DC Kalis s 4 Pairs.
In between these periods without an stable model I've fallen in the struggle of skating a lot of shoes I finally dont like, whatever long gone and discontinued "core" brands model I'll find in the thrift store and some other non-skate shoes. Isn't an easy task to find a good model nowadays.

On the funny side, last year became a dad and now have a 3 month newborn, which meant my current skate shoes are the longest in use in my whole adult life, these ishods are still holding since april 2022 ;D and stopped buying the same 8.125 american-brand board cause prices are too damn high and our diapers never get discounts  ;D

« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 11:19:48 AM by mooraga »

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #121 on: January 18, 2023, 11:06:16 AM »
AH is the epitome of one type of skateboarding. Frog, Primitive and There (among others) epitomize other kinds. They’re all valid as far as I’m concerned.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #122 on: January 18, 2023, 11:07:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anti hero is the most insufferable brand in the industry
[close]
Most of Slap thinks this it seems. 
My hot little take is Anti-Hero is consistently the purest representation of skating and the people who hate it ride 7.75 boards are scared to drop in and mostly skate driveway flatbars and talk about "progression."
[close]

-Average anti hero enjoyer
[close]
It's so true.  I'm old, like to travel, skate crust & DIY every chance i get, and I do not party-shame.  I also give people a yeeww when they do something rad.  All boxes checked.
[close]

Its actually not about any of that. Its because their marketing brainwashes their fans into thinking they are the end all be all to "true skateboarding".

Well how are they not?

The team skates everything -  street, diy spots, old parks, new parks, hills etc, and they've always done this. They're not too good to put skate park footy in their vids or any shit like that, even if it's a street obstacle at a skatepark, which definitely makes them 'true skateboarding'.

They build sick DIY parks in their local communities and don't seem to gatekeep it from anybody (everyone i've talked to who has been to lower bobs has said that it was chill).

They take road trips with the crew which as far as I'm concerned is the sickest shit about skating and they do it on a budget, sleeping at skateparks like hobos.

A lot of the crew has held down full time jobs which is sick as fuck because they're not out there living a pampered 'pro-skater' life, they're working 40 hours a week and still ripping.

They put their homies in their vids and even give them boards, like the albino board.

They basically still have the skate ethics of your homie's company but they're actually one of the biggest skate brands in the USA. I don't care if some of the people in the crew have done some non-PC shit, they're just normal dudes.
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #123 on: January 18, 2023, 11:20:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Buying a different model of shoe every time seems crazy to me, how do you guys ever get anything done
[close]
I buy different variations on slip ons. They’re not that different. If I bought D3s one month and then half cabs the next that might be an issue.
[close]

I was always trying new models, vulc or cup, even slip ons, but at somepoint around 2013 I moved to one of the biggest cities in my country: spots everywhere, better weather, a huge local scene, a LOT of skating. I had to  stop using vulc cause my feet would hurt daily after so much pushing out there with the dudes. VANS got forever erased from my shoe option list quickly.
Since then this is my method: Of any cupsole shoe I like the way skates/feels I'd try to get as much colors of it (or the same one i dont care really) I'll even buy them on sale months even before actually skating them. I liked to skate the same shoe/board always, if possible.
Its been mostly corpo shoes and some DC'S the last 5-6 years: NB#868: 7 pairs, Adidas sheltoe: 6 pairs, Nike Project BA: 4 Pairs, Adidas copa nationale: 4 pairs, Adidas Busenitz: 5 pairs, DC Kalis s 4 Pairs.

On the funny side, last year became a dad and now have a 3 month newborn, which meant my current skate shoes are the longest in use in my whole adult life, these ishods are still holding since april 2022 ;D and stopped buying the same 8.125 american-brand board cause prices are too damn high and our diapers never get discounts  ;D
I probably should try cupsoles (just learned what that meant), but I don’t do a ton of high impact anymore. Congrats on becoming a dad!

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
« Reply #124 on: January 20, 2023, 12:20:31 AM »
This isn't a hot take or popular opinion but I just bumped the other thread with a lame story so I'll post this shit here to not make another pointless thread...

What's with California skaters always talking about getting Starbucks? Are people getting paid for this? Do they have a team?  It seems like every story or behind-the-scenes clip starts out with getting Starbucks... Can't they just say getting coffee? It sounds so obnoxious or elitist or just fucking stupid to me. I don't know why but it really bothers me.

IpathCats

« Reply #125 on: January 20, 2023, 06:27:50 AM »
We all know it already but people dont like to say it.

Rodney has horrible style.

dannyprovolone

« Reply #126 on: January 20, 2023, 06:28:21 AM »
What's with California skaters always talking about getting Starbucks? Are people getting paid for this? Do they have a team?  It seems like every story or behind-the-scenes clip starts out with getting Starbucks... Can't they just say getting coffee? It sounds so obnoxious or elitist or just fucking stupid to me. I don't know why but it really bothers me.

the quality is probably on par with mcdonalds

always found it funny that they thrive in wealthy areas

appearance is really everything

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -512
« Reply #127 on: January 20, 2023, 06:39:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I am not a Starbucks fan boy, and drink plenty of 1$ McDonald’s coffee, but they are not remotely the same quality beans.  They have buying power and consistency for really good coffee, but I agree, as bad as McDonald’s in every other way.  Our guys are getting americanos, but these hefty ladies getting the 1000+ calorie melted milkshakes is disturbing.

dannyprovolone

« Reply #128 on: January 20, 2023, 06:48:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I am not a Starbucks fan boy, and drink plenty of 1$ McDonald’s coffee, but they are not remotely the same quality beans.  They have buying power and consistency for really good coffee, but I agree, as bad as McDonald’s in every other way.  Our guys are getting americanos, but these hefty ladies getting the 1000+ calorie melted milkshakes is disturbing.

true. its not gas station coffee but its also 6 times the price. the food is also terrible. 

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -213
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #129 on: January 20, 2023, 06:59:46 AM »
Dick Rizzo should be in the Brophy “GANG!” Hall of fame for what he wrote to Richie Jackson on IG.

Very tryhard and cringeworthy.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

borats cat

• Rep: -20
« Reply #130 on: January 20, 2023, 07:01:48 AM »
Dick Rizzo should be in the Brophy “GANG!” Hall of fame for what he wrote to Richie Jackson on IG.

what did he say?

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -213
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #131 on: January 20, 2023, 07:04:55 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

what did he say?

“Crawl back to that muskrat hole you came from you doo doo funk bell bottom having ass.”

And

“I’ll smack the Richie out your name.”
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

my bad cuh

« Reply #132 on: January 20, 2023, 08:14:06 AM »
“Crawl back to that muskrat hole you came from you doo doo funk bell bottom having ass.”

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 294
« Reply #133 on: January 20, 2023, 08:32:34 AM »
working for dime marketing must be mad easy, all their ads are like "what if somebody did something epic and for the win?"
really one of the most reddit companies in skateboarding

kook1234

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
« Reply #134 on: January 20, 2023, 08:47:54 AM »
Brian peacock skates like he should be on sk8 mafia

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #135 on: January 20, 2023, 11:11:00 AM »
This isn't a hot take or popular opinion but I just bumped the other thread with a lame story so I'll post this shit here to not make another pointless thread...

I think it’s because it’s everywhere. Like you can miles in the OC without seeing any other option besides maybe gas stations or fast food. I think it’s the opposite of elitist- people who want you to know they’re coffee snobs will talk about some place no one has heard of.

Which while I’m on the subject if anyone is in SD hit up Zumbar, that place is so good.

my bad cuh

« Reply #136 on: January 20, 2023, 11:33:14 AM »
working for dime marketing must be mad easy, all their ads are like "what if somebody did something epic and for the win?"
i dont even know what dime is anymore
borderline hypebeast lifestyle brand?
cool guy ironic skate brand? man idk i havent personally seen any dime ads in 4+ years

Stu Pickles

• Rep: 111
« Reply #137 on: January 20, 2023, 11:45:19 AM »

no greater feeling than an early morning sesh with some timmy hos

kookdusoleil

• Rep: 46
  • Have fun out there
« Reply #138 on: January 20, 2023, 11:51:40 AM »
The 2005-2009 crailslide-on-a-bank era was the darkest period in skateboarding

winecrab

• Rep: -176
« Reply #139 on: January 20, 2023, 01:39:18 PM »
Ryan Decenzo is the shit.

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 294
« Reply #140 on: January 20, 2023, 01:47:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
cool guy ironic skate brand? man idk i havent personally seen any dime ads in 4+ years
yeah, full on lifestyle/streetwear brand at this point, maybe not necessarily "hypebeast" because i don't know how hyped their stuff is, i never see anyone wearing it. but i also don't leave the house. actually i think their merrell collab was pretty hyped though. i'm a sucker for parody tees/logo flips and they usually have some funny ones.
i'm referring to ads like this

this kind of stuff just comes across so lazy/corny, like the surfing on owl ad especially has such big "abraham lincoln on a t-rex xD" energy

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -457
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #141 on: January 20, 2023, 03:36:50 PM »
Antonio durao and Corey Kennedy I preferred more when they skated more “normal” conventional etc

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

my bad cuh

« Reply #142 on: January 20, 2023, 05:52:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
yeah, full on lifestyle/streetwear brand at this point, maybe not necessarily "hypebeast" because i don't know how hyped their stuff is, i never see anyone wearing it. but i also don't leave the house. actually i think their merrell collab was pretty hyped though. i'm a sucker for parody tees/logo flips and they usually have some funny ones.
i'm referring to ads like this

this kind of stuff just comes across so lazy/corny, like the surfing on owl ad especially has such big "abraham lincoln on a t-rex xD" energy
second post looks like one of those crazy ass designer ads

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #143 on: January 20, 2023, 06:19:30 PM »
I like the phrase “I’d rather watch Gino push”

But

I don’t think Gino has a push that deserves that saying.

IpathCats

« Reply #144 on: January 20, 2023, 08:59:21 PM »

Tireeedd

• Rep: 86
« Reply #145 on: January 20, 2023, 10:14:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Thissss

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #146 on: January 20, 2023, 11:41:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anti hero is the most insufferable brand in the industry
[close]
Most of Slap thinks this it seems. 
My hot little take is Anti-Hero is consistently the purest representation of skating and the people who hate it ride 7.75 boards are scared to drop in and mostly skate driveway flatbars and talk about "progression."
[close]

Pretty much

Only time anti hero has ever come close to fucking up would be when they did that supreme collab

but by being into anti hero you join the venn diagram with the most insufferable fuckwits possible. your advocacy proves my point.

Sizzla

• Rep: 223
  • I luv I jah
« Reply #147 on: January 21, 2023, 04:39:01 AM »
roots reggae ah bumboclaat, gimme I dancehall
I an I haff nah white god

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
« Reply #148 on: January 21, 2023, 04:47:05 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I think it’s because it’s everywhere. Like you can miles in the OC without seeing any other option besides maybe gas stations or fast food. I think it’s the opposite of elitist- people who want you to know they’re coffee snobs will talk about some place no one has heard of.

Which while I’m on the subject if anyone is in SD hit up Zumbar, that place is so good.

That makes sense. I live in a small town with 2 McDonald's, 3 Tim Horton's and 1 Starbucks.

I once waited in a 12-car drive-through line for 30 minutes to get my girlfriend some stupid fancy overpriced thing to surprise her at work with. Never again....

WorldsbestWeedsm0ker

• Rep: -158
« Reply #149 on: January 21, 2023, 09:53:19 AM »

waved and warped
RIP fugluk (Tristan)