Author Topic: HOT LITTLE TAKES  (Read 30060 times)

Bakers Bark

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 5
Re: HOT LITTLE TAKES
« Reply #240 on: April 06, 2023, 03:04:30 PM »
The next big trend in skateboarding is going to be black kids dressing like the libertines.

I haven’t heard that name in years

Bakers Bark

« Reply #241 on: April 06, 2023, 03:15:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
This isn't a hot take or popular opinion but I just bumped the other thread with a lame story so I'll post this shit here to not make another pointless thread...

What's with California skaters always talking about getting Starbucks? Are people getting paid for this? Do they have a team?  It seems like every story or behind-the-scenes clip starts out with getting Starbucks... Can't they just say getting coffee? It sounds so obnoxious or elitist or just fucking stupid to me. I don't know why but it really bothers me.
[close]
I think it’s because it’s everywhere. Like you can miles in the OC without seeing any other option besides maybe gas stations or fast food. I think it’s the opposite of elitist- people who want you to know they’re coffee snobs will talk about some place no one has heard of.

Which while I’m on the subject if anyone is in SD hit up Zumbar, that place is so good.
[close]

That makes sense. I live in a small town with 2 McDonald's, 3 Tim Horton's and 1 Starbucks.

I once waited in a 12-car drive-through line for 30 minutes to get my girlfriend some stupid fancy overpriced thing to surprise her at work with. Never again....
[close]
Jesus that’s a lot of effort for one of those coffee milkshakes
[close]
Not from Cali but everyone always has expensive coffees and can only talk about how they didn't make it properly. All I can ever think is I've never had a bad can of coke

I work manufacturing and get a Trenta (30oz) cold brew black every morning at the same Starbucks and the people there be hooking me up with random extra drinks at least once a week. They have way less (early morning) staff turnover than DD, and I get hooked up.

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -486
« Reply #242 on: April 06, 2023, 03:17:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
This isn't a hot take or popular opinion but I just bumped the other thread with a lame story so I'll post this shit here to not make another pointless thread...

What's with California skaters always talking about getting Starbucks? Are people getting paid for this? Do they have a team?  It seems like every story or behind-the-scenes clip starts out with getting Starbucks... Can't they just say getting coffee? It sounds so obnoxious or elitist or just fucking stupid to me. I don't know why but it really bothers me.
[close]
I think it’s because it’s everywhere. Like you can miles in the OC without seeing any other option besides maybe gas stations or fast food. I think it’s the opposite of elitist- people who want you to know they’re coffee snobs will talk about some place no one has heard of.

Which while I’m on the subject if anyone is in SD hit up Zumbar, that place is so good.
[close]

That makes sense. I live in a small town with 2 McDonald's, 3 Tim Horton's and 1 Starbucks.

I once waited in a 12-car drive-through line for 30 minutes to get my girlfriend some stupid fancy overpriced thing to surprise her at work with. Never again....
[close]
[close]
Not from Cali but everyone always has expensive coffees and can only talk about how they didn't make it properly. All I can ever think is I've never had a bad can of coke
[close]

I work manufacturing and get a Trenta (30oz) cold brew black every morning at the same Starbucks and the people there be hooking me up with random extra drinks at least once a week. They have way less (early morning) staff turnover than DD, and I get hooked up.

Starbucks will hook you up if you’re nice and a regular . I didn’t pay for coffee for like two years. I even got them to sell me the pumpkin spice syrup to keep on hand for my girl through out the year.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

Bakers Bark

« Reply #243 on: April 06, 2023, 03:20:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

Starbucks will hook you up if you’re nice and a regular . I didn’t pay for coffee for like two years. I even got them to sell me the pumpkin spice syrup to keep on hand for my girl through out the year.

I order online before I get there but they recognize the name and order and just double print the ticket and throw it on some shit. It’s the workers and lack of turnover, which can (I am pro union) subscribe to the company or at least the culture.

work_lurker

• Rep: 81
  • I've never had a shaved head in my entire life
« Reply #244 on: April 06, 2023, 03:34:41 PM »
grown men in baggy pants…didn’t we all grew up?
It was cool in the 90s and early 2000s..and I get it when kids do it these days…but seeing someone in his 30s or older wearing these…i actually feel sorry for them

Really Sorry, or Extremely Sorry?
Hopefully not a kook, but if so, fuck it.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2209
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #245 on: April 06, 2023, 03:40:10 PM »
All that grunge talk & nobody wanna mention Mudhoney?

My take on that older shit like Doors, Beatles, etc, is: if you know, then it’s the Kinks. Otherwise, you slept.
Face to Face, Something Else, Village Green Preservation Society, the list goes on & on.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Bakers Bark

« Reply #246 on: April 06, 2023, 03:44:47 PM »

My take on that older shit like Doors, Beatles, etc, is: if you know, then it’s the Kinks. Otherwise, you slept.
Face to Face, Something Else, Village Green Preservation Society, the list goes on & on.

Why haven’t we gotten a part to The Slits!

work_lurker

• Rep: 81
  • I've never had a shaved head in my entire life
« Reply #247 on: April 06, 2023, 03:54:42 PM »

Sunny Afternoon is my go-to karaoke song. Some (much) older drunk lady told me I was really good after singing it, and it boosted my ego probably more than it should have. Not sure if I can sing well, or if she was trying to gobble my fruity pebbles.
Hopefully not a kook, but if so, fuck it.

sle_epy

• Rep: -94
« Reply #248 on: April 07, 2023, 08:43:15 AM »
I think Schmitt's professor gimmick is weird. Seems like a nice guy, but I don't get it.
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

skunty

• Rep: 73
« Reply #249 on: April 07, 2023, 11:49:58 AM »
while Heroin is cool in general, I'm fucking sick of seeing Egg graphics

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
  • Free Max B
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #250 on: April 07, 2023, 12:39:04 PM »
Nik stain is on Limo. Idk if that’s already known. A lot of people don’t like that guy and describe his skating as “go fast, do nothing.” And that’s pretty sick

FA is losing its “cool guy” factor it seems. Whatd dill say, 10 years in it would probably be corny and he’d end it. It’s been 10 years.

If FA sticks around I can’t imagine it not being ran through bakerboys and Dill being much more hands off than he is now. He and neckface used to do blow off each others dicks at max fish for zines so I’m sure they’ll all mesh well.

What the heck do I know tho free max b
FREE MAX B

Terminal

« Reply #251 on: April 08, 2023, 04:00:20 AM »
Cairo should put out some footy. Even if it's just slappies and shit, I don't care. Just want to see the style. Special request for some nollies though, he was the reason I got into them.

sle_epy

« Reply #252 on: April 08, 2023, 04:17:16 AM »
Roy on Roids is completely fuckable, even with that forehead tattoo.

Does he take the teeth out when it goes down tho.

sle_epy

« Reply #253 on: April 08, 2023, 04:29:33 AM »
I listened to Wu-Tang every day for years when I was young, wore a wu hoodie every single day my entire freshman year of hs, shit is unlistenable to me nowadays, enter the 36 chambers is one of the most overrated albums of all time, ghostface has some heaters (mighty healthy is still amazing) ob4cl2 was great (surgical gloves was great) but I can’t listen to liquid swords or anything any more it’s so fucking corny

Wu is one of the most overrated rap groups of all time, would much rather hear a chief keef song over a part than some fucking 90s rap I’m over it

I listened to 1000s of hours of boom bap, gangster etc 90s / mid 2000s rap but a few years ago I just stopped all together. Obviously can't relate to pretty much anything a bunch of 20 year olds talking shit are saying about life at my age, the content is pretty shallow at the end of the day, and when you see these guys in their 40s performing lyrics they wrote at like 18 it's just sad (mobb deep).

You can sort of see in their eyes that they know the shit they're saying is stupid and degenerate most of the time (concerning gangster rap). That said I do love groups like tribe and stuff still. They were on some other shit. Also was a big back packer in the day so exploring new emo rap without the shame now that it's mainstream is kinda nice.

fistful0dynamite

« Reply #254 on: April 08, 2023, 07:51:55 AM »
Expand Quote
I listened to Wu-Tang every day for years when I was young, wore a wu hoodie every single day my entire freshman year of hs, shit is unlistenable to me nowadays, enter the 36 chambers is one of the most overrated albums of all time, ghostface has some heaters (mighty healthy is still amazing) ob4cl2 was great (surgical gloves was great) but I can’t listen to liquid swords or anything any more it’s so fucking corny

Wu is one of the most overrated rap groups of all time, would much rather hear a chief keef song over a part than some fucking 90s rap I’m over it
[close]

I listened to 1000s of hours of boom bap, gangster etc 90s / mid 2000s rap but a few years ago I just stopped all together. Obviously can't relate to pretty much anything a bunch of 20 year olds talking shit are saying about life at my age, the content is pretty shallow at the end of the day, and when you see these guys in their 40s performing lyrics they wrote at like 18 it's just sad (mobb deep).

You can sort of see in their eyes that they know the shit they're saying is stupid and degenerate most of the time (concerning gangster rap). That said I do love groups like tribe and stuff still. They were on some other shit. Also was a big back packer in the day so exploring new emo rap without the shame now that it's mainstream is kinda nice.
Saying contemporary emo rap has deeper lyrical content than golden age hip hop is a wild take.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #255 on: April 08, 2023, 08:19:42 AM »
Christian Hosoi's style is massively underrated in the current era of skating, probably because it's been overshadowed by his personality. His contemporaries like Jeff Phillips and Neil Blender get way more attention from the core skate world.
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

sle_epy

« Reply #256 on: April 08, 2023, 08:32:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Saying contemporary emo rap has deeper lyrical content than golden age hip hop is a wild take.

That's DEFINITELY not what I said. Honestly I'd say emo rap is shallow too, but more relatable than cinematic lyrics generally. I appreciate the lyricism more than anything in 90s rap but I'm over other aspects of it I guess. Golden era was a great blend. I realize it's all more nuanced than my statement makes it out to be. I was sort of referencing mainstream rap mostly. Not underground etc that's different.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1091
« Reply #257 on: April 08, 2023, 08:46:48 AM »
I think Schmitt's professor gimmick is weird. Seems like a nice guy, but I don't get it.

He's not an engineer and he talks out his ass a lot, but yeah I still like the dude.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

devils acrobat

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 139
« Reply #258 on: April 08, 2023, 11:09:12 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

He's not an engineer and he talks out his ass a lot, but yeah I still like the dude.

Funniest part of the gimmick is that professors only wear labcoats for PR stunts in my experience.  But yeah, I am still sold on the nanotubes and properly aligning the trucks  when setting up a new board. Thanks Prof!

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1091
« Reply #259 on: April 08, 2023, 11:21:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Funniest part of the gimmick is that professors only wear labcoats for PR stunts in my experience.  But yeah, I am still sold on the nanotubes and properly aligning the trucks  when setting up a new board. Thanks Prof!

I love all the nanotube talk because he's just looking for a pseudo-scientific way to talk about grain direction, something which humans have known how to utilize for literally tens of thousands of years.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 337
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #260 on: April 08, 2023, 11:30:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

That's DEFINITELY not what I said. Honestly I'd say emo rap is shallow too, but more relatable than cinematic lyrics generally. I appreciate the lyricism more than anything in 90s rap but I'm over other aspects of it I guess. Golden era was a great blend. I realize it's all more nuanced than my statement makes it out to be. I was sort of referencing mainstream rap mostly. Not underground etc that's different.

I prefer the last 10 years of (US) underground rap over the 90's golden age boom Bap. More variation and styles and experimentation with good results.

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 61
« Reply #261 on: April 08, 2023, 11:53:13 AM »
Christian Hosoi's style is massively underrated in the current era of skating, probably because it's been overshadowed by his personality. His contemporaries like Jeff Phillips and Neil Blender get way more attention from the core skate world.

hmm, good point. But I think it's just difference of approach (if you're talking about 80's Hosoi). People back then kind of had that 80's surf-skate style that's a bit defunct now; plus not everyone does vert skating as much as something like pool ripping. He definitely looked the coolest, though. You could say that D-Gonz was someone who kept his influence out there when he was on his soty run.

I love love that part in Ed Templeton's epicly later'd where they talk about the euro contests that he swept. The most interesting to me is the generational differences between people who were more along the lines of Hosoi's era (like Oster), and his burgeoning era of street skating: @5:55

double fakie ollie grind

• Rep: 4
« Reply #262 on: April 08, 2023, 12:02:10 PM »
One of my favorite facts about the doors is that they sucked so bad that they are basically responsible for punk existing . Iggy Pop saw them live and they were so terrible that he decided that he thought hey I could do this. It’s in Please Kill Me

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
« Reply #263 on: April 08, 2023, 09:34:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

I prefer the last 10 years of (US) underground rap over the 90's golden age boom Bap. More variation and styles and experimentation with good results.

My new joint and I ain’t even kidding.

Her interview with Jello Biafra is really good

I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

doublesteveburger

« Reply #264 on: April 09, 2023, 06:59:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Unless a backyard art show in Arizona with no industry backing whatsoever is a reason to show face for PR I don’t think this is necessarily true. Full coat, middle of summer, no real reason why he’d be there. Nice dude, though.

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -486
« Reply #265 on: April 09, 2023, 12:36:04 PM »
If ASICS actually makes an effort they’d overtake con’s or adidas for that 4th spot in corpo skate footwear. I’m not a fan of the logo but both those companies have gone so bare minimum in their shoe lines with the right team it wouldn’t be hard to get skaters on board. Walker Ryan just posted in em. So if you’re scooping up the actual talent that companies are letting go to the wayside like walker and dilo you could do a lot. . I guess con’s would probably be the first to go? You don’t see new guys getting con’s flow much anymore .
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

sle_epy

« Reply #266 on: April 09, 2023, 06:16:20 PM »
If ASICS actually makes an effort they’d overtake con’s or adidas for that 4th spot in corpo skate footwear. I’m not a fan of the logo but both those companies have gone so bare minimum in their shoe lines with the right team it wouldn’t be hard to get skaters on board. Walker Ryan just posted in em. So if you’re scooping up the actual talent that companies are letting go to the wayside like walker and dilo you could do a lot. . I guess con’s would probably be the first to go? You don’t see new guys getting con’s flow much anymore .

Does puma make a dedicated skate shoe? A lot of their styles would translate and I know ppl skated them back in the day when they were just sneakers. I keep getting advertised to about an ugly puma shoe that might be a skate shoe but it's not clear to me.

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #267 on: April 09, 2023, 06:25:43 PM »
Barney Page is up there with some of the best in terms of talent but his sponsors and name hold him back from being considered as such.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 795
« Reply #268 on: April 09, 2023, 07:16:35 PM »
I’m all for this Asics skate shoe thing, but their social media presence feels a little corny and desperate at this point. 

Quantity over quality, guys.  You don’t have to repost every clip from every rando you send shoes to. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #269 on: April 09, 2023, 07:28:59 PM »
I’m all for this Asics skate shoe thing, but their social media presence feels a little corny and desperate at this point. 

Quantity over quality, guys.  You don’t have to repost every clip from every rando you send shoes to.

Someone needs to tell this to whoever runs the anti hero instagram
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?