Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 718630 times)

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 185
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #4050 on: April 07, 2022, 12:57:14 PM »
https://www.spitfirewheels.com/
Spring '22 Drop 2 Catalog is live

Wish there was more radial action

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #4051 on: April 07, 2022, 04:48:48 PM »

I'm a bit shocked to see a lack of 97a Conical Fulls. I think I might grab a backup pair just in case they are phased out. My old board still has those on, and its honestly amazing how much better they handle crusty roads even after they've been reduced to about 49-50mm. My brand new 99a 56mm Radial Fulls are almost unrideable on streets that these small 97a 50mm wheels makes feel pretty normal.

To be honest, it seems like it was a misstep for them to make Classics one of the introductory 97a shapes as its sort of a "worst of both worlds" wheel being soft and so narrow. It doesn't seem like they are selling very well the way places are putting them on clearance unlike every other F4 Spitfire shape. I could be wrong, maybe they're selling great, but personally I haven't seen any buzz about them considering how widely available they are.

If/when they bring 97a back (maybe with a gently retooled formula) they should think about abandoning the Classic 97a and replace it with Radial Full and maybe OG Classic. Wide wheels tackle crust better. If you're already sacrificing that tech, slide, and top speed with the softer wheel, then you might as well make it do its niche as well as possible, right?

I'm glad they are still running with the 56mm/58mm Radial Fulls. That graphic is really cool, especially while rolling. Hopefully (if they're producing more) this batch doesn't have as many defects as the last one.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

Paco Supreme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 543
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #4052 on: April 07, 2022, 05:28:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

How hard can it be, come on deluxe

FuzzGNU

« Reply #4053 on: April 07, 2022, 06:00:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

What do you guys think of the Radial Fulls as people who ride Radials?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1010
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4054 on: April 07, 2022, 06:03:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Wish there was more radial slim action

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 543
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #4055 on: April 07, 2022, 08:38:50 PM »

They remind me too much of mini cubics

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
« Reply #4056 on: April 08, 2022, 01:10:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

They remind me too much of mini cubics
[close]

LOL. I hope you're joking.

Just so you know mini cubics are 64mm, 57mm wide, and have offset bearings. Radial fulls are basically just 56mm Conical Fulls but radial, only 39mm wide.
i am floored by how much you can talk about radial fulls and 97a spitfires while simultaneously adding nothing to the conversation

Fooj

• Rep: 185
« Reply #4057 on: April 08, 2022, 06:44:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I usually skate 52-54mm on my daily ride, so i haven't tried the fulls yet. However, ive been slowly cooking up a tranny set up that will probably have the 56s

BoxStuffer

• Rep: 115
« Reply #4058 on: April 08, 2022, 07:10:50 AM »

Interesting.  Looks like the biggest size now for a 101a wheel is 56mm.  Either Classic or Conical Full. 
Enjoy your life.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4059 on: April 08, 2022, 05:51:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I made some for people, usually best from Conical shaped wheels, just taking the side edge off a bit and rounding the corner out and away you go.

These ones turned out pretty well.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
« Reply #4060 on: April 08, 2022, 05:55:05 PM »
I see that they just went ahead and made the Kader wheel a production item. Given how quickly these sold out and how many crusty Bowl Barneys and Kader Imitators I've seen riding them, this is a good idea.

This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 286
« Reply #4061 on: April 08, 2022, 07:37:47 PM »
The daily driver:

8.3 SlaveZ
Indy 149 w/soft red bushings
F4 Radial 53mm 99d
Swiss

Reminiscing on radials in 53mm. I loved this setup from a few years ago. A 53 radial is all I’d skate, if possible. I got some of the 55 Oski ones recently and put them on my normal 8.3 board. Ended up not liking it. Timing on my landings felt off. All grinds felt like I had less truck to work with (149s). Pinch was terrible on crooks. I took them off after 2 weeks and put on some 52 classic fulls. Now these are working great. Amazing what a difference just a couple millimeters makes. I’ll end up putting the Oski’s on one of the bigger boards in my quiver.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1156
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #4062 on: April 08, 2022, 08:41:10 PM »
Expand Quote
The daily driver:

8.3 SlaveZ
F4 Radial 53mm 99d
Swiss
[close]

Reminiscing on radials in 53mm. I loved this setup from a few years ago. A 53 radial is all I’d skate, if possible. I got some of the 55 Oski ones recently and put them on my normal 8.3 board. Ended up not liking it. Timing on my landings felt off. All grinds felt like I had less truck to work with (149s). Pinch was terrible on crooks. I took them off after 2 weeks and put on some 52 classic fulls. Now these are working great. Amazing what a difference just a couple millimeters makes. I’ll end up putting the Oski’s on one of the bigger boards in my quiver.

This is a bummer because I convinced myself the Oski 55 radials were the wheel I needed since Spitfire doesn't seem to offer a 52-53 natural color radial. I'll still probably track some down and give them a shot, especially since the new drop has basically no radials.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #4063 on: April 09, 2022, 01:32:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The daily driver:

8.3 SlaveZ
F4 Radial 53mm 99d
Swiss
[close]

[close]

This is a bummer because I convinced myself the Oski 55 radials were the wheel I needed since Spitfire doesn't seem to offer a 52-53 natural color radial. I'll still probably track some down and give them a shot, especially since the new drop has basically no radials.

I’d love some 52 or 53 mm Radials, too. Currently on 52 mm Classic Fulls and bought an extra set of 54 mm Classic Fulls that I’ll put on afterwards. Tad to big for my street setup but worn down they should be perfect.

oldfart

• Rep: 24
« Reply #4064 on: April 12, 2022, 02:04:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Got a set of OG Classics and all four wobble, one being really noticeable and is dragging the bearings. Is it worth waiting for a warranty? Just checked the 97a conicals I've had for a while and they wobble too but not as bad as the new OG's, guess I didn't notice or care when I set them up.
[close]

Had that same problem a few days ago. I put a bit of sunflower oil on a brush and smeared that inside the wheel. Then put an old bearing on my hanger and put the new bearings in the wheel. The bearings got in very easily and everything sits flush and no more wobble now.
The inside of new spitfire wheels can be a bit sticky sometimes. Oh and make sure to clean the wheels afterwards if you use some type of oil.

This just saved my day!

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #4065 on: April 14, 2022, 12:15:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Got a set of OG Classics and all four wobble, one being really noticeable and is dragging the bearings. Is it worth waiting for a warranty? Just checked the 97a conicals I've had for a while and they wobble too but not as bad as the new OG's, guess I didn't notice or care when I set them up.
[close]

Had that same problem a few days ago. I put a bit of sunflower oil on a brush and smeared that inside the wheel. Then put an old bearing on my hanger and put the new bearings in the wheel. The bearings got in very easily and everything sits flush and no more wobble now.
The inside of new spitfire wheels can be a bit sticky sometimes. Oh and make sure to clean the wheels afterwards if you use some type of oil.
[close]

This just saved my day!

Yo, that makes me happy to hear. I am glad if I can help.
IG: @flowterspace

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #4066 on: April 14, 2022, 12:40:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

+1

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1156
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #4067 on: April 17, 2022, 08:50:37 AM »
Put the Oski Formula four 55mm radials on my board, first session was good. Between the sort of “mid” size and shape, it feels like a good do it all wheel. Hit some slappies, wheels felt like they were locking in.

Really don’t understand why spitfire isn’t producing more radial options.

thanksgiving

« Reply #4068 on: April 17, 2022, 11:25:02 AM »
101 radials in 52 54 58 this fall...

black tho  :-[

lock ins 99 returning finally too

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #4069 on: April 17, 2022, 11:32:34 AM »
101 radials in 52 54 58 this fall...

black tho  :-[

lock ins 99 returning finally too

52 radials in 101, sounds ideal. I’ve been into 52 conical fulls in 101. Wider good, for me, above 54-55, bad.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
« Reply #4070 on: April 17, 2022, 12:33:52 PM »
Put the Oski Formula four 55mm radials on my board, first session was good. Between the sort of “mid” size and shape, it feels like a good do it all wheel. Hit some slappies, wheels felt like they were locking in.

Skating the same wheels right now and loving them.  I think they’re probably the best all-purpose Spitfire shape.  I’m on the road to going back to skating the classic shape after a couple years on wider wheels and these have seamlessly bridged the gap. 

IpathCats

« Reply #4071 on: April 17, 2022, 01:14:55 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Skating the same wheels right now and loving them.  I think they’re probably the best all-purpose Spitfire shape.  I’m on the road to going back to skating the classic shape after a couple years on wider wheels and these have seamlessly bridged the gap.

56 or larger, classics. 55 or smaller, radials.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4072 on: April 17, 2022, 02:45:46 PM »
Classic Fulls please. Have the 52 and 54 best all around shape.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #4073 on: April 17, 2022, 03:01:44 PM »

I’ve never seen these in person, but now, thanks to you, I wanna find these. Classics have always been my preference, and I know they’ll work. I made the mistake of trying conical fulls in 56 mm. Too beast. I’m currently stoked on 52 conical fulls. Basically a small, wide wheel is what I currently want.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4074 on: April 17, 2022, 04:16:49 PM »
They’re basically like if you broke in and wore down wheel that is 2mm bigger. So a 52 is like a worn in 54 and the 54 is a worn in 56. A bit better on rough ground than Classics.

thanksgiving

« Reply #4075 on: April 18, 2022, 12:52:28 AM »
no classic fulls scheduled for this summer or fall prebooks so far, so stock up while theres some sets of the repeaters ones floating around

diplodocus

• Rep: 156
  • long neck
« Reply #4076 on: April 18, 2022, 12:57:51 AM »
What do you guys like shape wise for transition? Not talking vert, but like mini, bowl, diy stuff. i’ve literally skated only formula 4 classic 55s for the last 3 years. i’m pretty set on the size, but interested in the benefit of a different wheel shape.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #4077 on: April 18, 2022, 01:22:03 AM »
What do you guys like shape wise for transition? Not talking vert, but like mini, bowl, diy stuff. i’ve literally skated only formula 4 classic 55s for the last 3 years. i’m pretty set on the size, but interested in the benefit of a different wheel shape.

Here’s my take from earlier in the thread:

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
What shape for 99s? I got conical fulls in 56mm/97a for the slippery indoor park and street crust but need something faster and maybe lighter on good concrete parks
[close]
There are almost too many options if people are not sure, but the rounder edge will be easier on everything and not stick so much when on coping or edges the way the Conical Full and squared shapes tend to do [...].
[close]

I feel conical/square vs. rounded on coping is the most noticeable difference between the shapes. Personally, I prefer the solid lock in of Conical Fulls over Classics when skating transition. My grinds are noticeably faster and longer with Classics, however I need to focus on locking in much more and still wipe out from time to time. Therefore my confidence to go faster in the first place is higher with Conical Fulls.

FuzzGNU

« Reply #4078 on: April 18, 2022, 02:35:49 AM »

General wisdom seems to be...

Conical:
Harder to get into grinds/stalls, harder to get out. A more secure lock, but can cause hang ups. More friction/drag during grinds that may slow you down. More stable.

Radial:
Easier to get into grinds, easier to get out. A less secure lock, that can cause slip outs. Less friction/drag during grinds that let you grind a bit further.

Radial shape should let you ride over things sideways/diagonally better than Conical due to the more gradual sides, just like how it helps you pop over coping for grinds. Conical are less likely to tip over than radial, so are seen as "more stable".

Hopefully that helps.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #4079 on: April 18, 2022, 02:53:07 AM »
Lock-ins in 99 are coming back?! Oh i hope that is true. I never came around to trying them.

I am currently on 52mm conicals. The standard conicals, but they were old stock from a shop I think.
But so far I like them. And I think 52mm is my preferred size nowadays.
IG: @flowterspace