Author Topic: Una Farrar (Lil Tubsy) & Fabiana Delfino Call Out SPoT For Unequal Prize Purses  (Read 14800 times)

bodega vape pods

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -5
  • kook me
I can’t wait for skateboarding to die out again.
never gonna happen

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
It's almost like saying females shouldn't receive a gold medal in their respective Olympic sport. They should get something lesser. Regardless if they won in their competition, because the men's version is harder because they compete at a higher level.
the womens contest had a smaller purse for their contest because it was a smaller contest. contests like park series and olympics will have a mens and womens contest that is the same amount of contestants, same amount production, same amount of time spent qualifying. At tampa they had an open womens contest. your little sister could have pulled up and competed. There was not nearly as many girls competing as the men. why should women earn the same as men for this contest for beating 50 am/pro women when the men have to beat a field of 200 pros. if the contest was tampa womens pro and they had the whole weekend of having to qualify, pass semis, and win the finals all while partying in between, then they should get an equal prize. skating a two round comp for a hour in the morning isnt quite the same thing. comps like park series have equal sized contests which warrants equal pay.

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 95
These goddam topics are so repetitive on SLAP

having a 1/4 prize for women is really fucking bad optics. I would have thought that was pretty obvious. People in this thread are on their fucking calculators trying to figure out how to pay them even less, according some weird skill/competition equation that is complete jockish kookery. Skating needs to invest in women, and all this hysteria about unequal skill/competitiveness is just some basic screeching that is completely tone deaf to the history of women being shunned in skateboarding.

10K is a spec of dust to the powers that be, anyway. 2.5K might cover the flight down there and a hotel, barely
everything else aside, would it really cost u 2.5k to go to tampa for a weekend?

straight fucking edge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170

having a 1/4 prize for women is really fucking bad optics. I would have thought that was pretty obvious. People in this thread are on their fucking calculators trying to figure out how to pay them even less, according some weird skill/competition equation that is complete jockish kookery. Skating needs to invest in women, and all this hysteria about unequal skill/competitiveness is just some basic screeching that is completely tone deaf to the history of women being shunned in skateboarding.

10K is a spec of dust to the powers that be, anyway. 2.5K might cover the flight down there and a hotel, barely

where the fuck are you flying from and staying?
i don't want to link to the channel because is promotes athiesm.

whaaaaat

• Rep: 47
Expand Quote

[close]
everything else aside, would it really cost u 2.5k to go to tampa for a weekend?

Same question.  2.5K to get to Tampa?  Not a chance.  And who are the powers that be for whom $10k is a 'spec of dust'?  An indoor skatepark? 

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427

They’re both sponsored by vans. Maybe those powers that be can foot the bill or up the prize money so a pro rider of theirs can beat out an am in an open contest with less contestants.

os89

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1182
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Would love to hear all of you explain this rational to your wives, daughters, or mothers. "See, look. Sweetie, you are a girl... You can't go as fast, or as high as a man, so you will never, ever make the same amount of money as them. It's how the world works. Deal with it. Hell even if you can, you still wont make the same, because you are a girl. Its been that way forever." Hope none of you have daughters damn.

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
Would love to hear all of you explain this rational to your wives, daughters, or mothers. "See, look. Sweetie, you are a girl... You can't go as fast, or as high as a man, so you will never, ever make the same amount of money as them. It's how the world works. Deal with it. Hell even if you can, you still wont make the same, because you are a girl. Its been that way forever." Hope none of you have daughters damn.
except that’s not what anybody said

straight fucking edge

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
[close]
except that’s objectively not what anybody said

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1500
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
SPOT could lead the way and make next year genderless like a bathroom. Everyone gets a shot. Prize purse for top goes up. What if a female won?

thebacker

Expand Quote
It's almost like saying females shouldn't receive a gold medal in their respective Olympic sport. They should get something lesser. Regardless if they won in their competition, because the men's version is harder because they compete at a higher level.
[close]
the womens contest had a smaller purse for their contest because it was a smaller contest. contests like park series and olympics will have a mens and womens contest that is the same amount of contestants, same amount production, same amount of time spent qualifying. At tampa they had an open womens contest. your little sister could have pulled up and competed. There was not nearly as many girls competing as the men. why should women earn the same as men for this contest for beating 50 am/pro women when the men have to beat a field of 200 pros. if the contest was tampa womens pro and they had the whole weekend of having to qualify, pass semis, and win the finals all while partying in between, then they should get an equal prize. skating a two round comp for a hour in the morning isnt quite the same thing. comps like park series have equal sized contests which warrants equal pay.

underrated post

hip bruise

• Rep: 11
Yeah sorry sweeties, maybe read a little Adam Smith.

Shouldnt this thread be in the men’s rights subforum?

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
i get what you are saying. encourage your women to go hard in the paint, and live life to the fullest. telling them the truth about pay inequality should be said to them. educating them on inequalities that exist might help them work to make a change in their field. I mean telling women they cant perform as well as men is not what anyone should do ever. but pointing out that they are not getting paid the same should be said so maybe they can be inspired to try and change that.

os89

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1182
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

and let's be real,  a bunch of people boardsliding a park rail and bailing nosegrinds on the ledges battling for 10k? nah

Supply and demand can be a bitch. Deal with it.

I’m fully in support of equal rights but if they want the men’s pay they should enter the men’s contest.

Explain how this line of thinking is uplifting and helping girls who want to skate? It is people saying they don't matter, move out of my own little skate world. Its not inclusive. It is the opposite type of shit skaters should be focusing on. Not giving Nyjah or Leticia more or less money, just equal fucking opportunities and not lame cool guy shit.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

underrated post

Yea this makes sense, I'm just talking about the whole situation. It can be remedied without everyone acting like girls are ruining skating just for asking for a bit more money. Like they have been trying to do for every profession for quite some time. Shalom

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
    • Fotos avatar image
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

Expand Quote
and let's be real,  a bunch of people boardsliding a park rail and bailing nosegrinds on the ledges battling for 10k? nah
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
I’m fully in support of equal rights but if they want the men’s pay they should enter the men’s contest.
[close]

Explain how this line of thinking is uplifting and helping girls who want to skate? It is people saying they don't matter, move out of my own little skate world. Its not inclusive. It is the opposite type of shit skaters should be focusing on. Not giving Nyjah or Leticia more or less money, just equal fucking opportunities and not lame cool guy shit.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

underrated post
[close]

Yea this makes sense, I'm just talking about the whole situation. It can be remedied without everyone acting like girls are ruining skating just for asking for a bit more money. Like they have been trying to do for every profession for quite some time. Shalom

There is a funny contradiction there: If girls argued they were different in their natural abilities (i.e. what is usually considered the conservative position), they would have a better point in arguing they deserve the same amount of money as the men. The arguement that women don't deserve as much money as the men, because they are not as good, would appear weaker that way.

I think ultimately they deserve the same and it would be the fair thing to try to give them the same. They are the best skaters out of all the humans skating in female bodies. Winning that contest as a male you need to be the best out of all the humans having to walk arround with testicles.

straight fucking edge

• SLAP Pal
i fail to see how you can twist my quote right there into even remotely resembling the words you are putting in our mouths.  you are delusional

fongool

• Rep: 94
some weird skill/competition equation that is complete jockish kookery

this phrase sums up every skateboarding contest though

slobplant

• Rep: -12
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

underrated post
Preach.

professional

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
I fw Una - I heard she'll be doing some cool work with women in Canada as far as promoting and encouraging skating goes.

Agnarnomous

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

underrated post
[close]

I missed the part where people claimed that their stance on this was supposed to be uplifting. I'm pretty sure these statements were just people stating the harsh reality of things. And I can't speak for anyone but myself, and I'm just some guy on SLAP who could be full of shit, but I've never been anything but supportive towards any female skaters in my area. This is an issue of moral posturing taking place over an objective reality, and you're somehow conflating how one feels about this with what message they want to send to little girls that want to skate. That's just nonsense. You do understand that there's a market that determines the value of these things right? You do understand that jobs are given to people who provide value in some way, not just to set some arbitrary moral example for how you think the world should be right? Do you think that women (or anyone for that matter) just deserve careers as professionals because they are women? That's sexism. And if it's not just because they're women, explain to me to me the other standards they must meet, then explain to me why those standards are much lower than those set for men, and then explain to me how that's not sexist.

Agnarnomous

SPOT could lead the way and make next year genderless like a bathroom. Everyone gets a shot. Prize purse for top goes up. What if a female won?

It would be sick, and people would actually give a fuck about whatever girl won. And even if a girl didn't win, it would push progression for girls immensely.

Beeda Weeda

I back this.

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2274
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
I support equal prize purses for men's and women's contests. I ain't got no kids, but my wife thinks it would be cute if we had twin girls, and I want them to be able to make as much money as the boys by the the time they're 9 and I force them to jump down 20 stairs by calling them pussies.

Kylo Send

One argument I haven't seen, if there's just as many people watching the women skate, either in person or streaming, in addition to the women's product the women skaters are selling/endorsing, they should definitely be paid equal, no question. What a fucking joke. Ability argument is narrow minded.

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
  • Did someone say sassy?
What Tubsy and Delfino fail to mention is that the women's purse literally comes in an $8,000 purse.

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
What Tubsy and Delfino fail to mention is that the women's purse literally comes in an $8,000 purse.
lol

Agnarnomous

Expand Quote

[close]

One argument I haven't seen, if there's just as many people watching the women skate, either in person or streaming, in addition to the women's product the women skaters are selling/endorsing, they should definitely be paid equal, no question. What a fucking joke. Ability argument is narrow minded.
Who do you think sells more boards, ishod or Nora? Hell, ishod or all female pros combined?

Putaslocas

• Rep: -291
  • EAT SHIT AND DIE

I guess we should be rewarding them for half assing basic tricks like 5050s on bump to ledges.

Stephens Lawyer

• Rep: 139
I support equal prize purses for men's and women's contests. I ain't got no kids, but my wife thinks it would be cute if we had twin girls, and I want them to be able to make as much money as the boys by the the time they're 9 and I force them to jump down 20 stairs by calling them pussies dickies.

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 89
Why is gender the chosen demographic to make the split? I say next year there should be an event specifically for college grads with an equal prize pool to the high school drop outs. And an event for religious people with an equal prize pool to the atheists.