Author Topic: New Balance # containment thread  (Read 792135 times)

Hubba Bo-Tep

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 43
Re: New Balance # containment thread
« Reply #4500 on: August 26, 2022, 11:16:09 AM »
Thinking of copping the 808s when they release here but am not too sure now that it's possible that the sole is even thicker than the 1010s.  I was all about the 1010s for a long time but man did they ever fuck my ankles.  I was just too high up in the shoe and any land that would tweak my ankle was exaggerated in the 1010.  I've got a pair of wheat/black that I can't bring myself to skate due to the fear of ankle destruction.  It's a bummer because the 1010s are a solid shoe.

Ride it to dust

• Rep: 54
« Reply #4501 on: August 27, 2022, 09:02:37 AM »
Rolled my ankle early july, Mrs bought me a pair of the 440 hi’s for my 40th this Wednesday just gone. Just been out for a slappy session and tied them shits tight! Feel really comfy but took a minute to get used to cupsoles again. So grippy at the beginning

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4502 on: August 27, 2022, 01:21:52 PM »
Thinking of copping the 808s when they release here but am not too sure now that it's possible that the sole is even thicker than the 1010s.  I was all about the 1010s for a long time but man did they ever fuck my ankles.  I was just too high up in the shoe and any land that would tweak my ankle was exaggerated in the 1010.  I've got a pair of wheat/black that I can't bring myself to skate due to the fear of ankle destruction.  It's a bummer because the 1010s are a solid shoe.

I saw 808 yesterday in shop and that midsole is super thick. Seems thicker by the toes too. Picked that and a new 1010 up and it's definitely a good deal stiffer. Considering the 1010 is almost too stiff for me the 808 is out. The bottom lace loops don't look great but otherwise it will look good when they do solid colorways or simpler 2 color designs

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #4503 on: August 27, 2022, 01:32:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I saw 808 yesterday in shop and that midsole is super thick. Seems thicker by the toes too. Picked that and a new 1010 up and it's definitely a good deal stiffer. Considering the 1010 is almost too stiff for me the 808 is out. The bottom lace loops don't look great but otherwise it will look good when they do solid colorways or simpler 2 color designs

thx for the write up, would you say there's less of a drop from heel to toe on the 808s?

WideFeet

• Rep: 82
« Reply #4504 on: August 27, 2022, 01:59:05 PM »
Expand Quote
:'(
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
808 looks too narrow…  :'(
[close]

It’s not. Standard width.
[close]

Just mean relative to 1010, but I could be mistaken
[close]

Don’t over think it haha
If you get a pair just get your true size in the 808
If you get some 1010’s and the toe is mesh you can go down a half size. If the toe is solid materials get your true size IMO

I tried on the 808. I have a pair of the 1010’s. 808’s are definitely more narrow. Length felt true to size though. Way too narrow for me buy, I do have a pretty wide foot though. Again, 1010’s work for me.

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4505 on: August 27, 2022, 04:29:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

the NBs jeff has on are CLEAN, 440s?
[close]

maybe 533v2? i have a black and gum pair and the bottom looks like that

It’s not the 533. I know the sole pattern of that shoe. I’ve skated about 20-25 pairs between v1 and v2. It does look like the 440 sole since it has that little square print near the toe.
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

eSK3

« Reply #4506 on: August 27, 2022, 05:00:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
:'(
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
808 looks too narrow…  :'(
[close]

It’s not. Standard width.
[close]

Just mean relative to 1010, but I could be mistaken
[close]

Don’t over think it haha
If you get a pair just get your true size in the 808
If you get some 1010’s and the toe is mesh you can go down a half size. If the toe is solid materials get your true size IMO
[close]

I tried on the 808. I have a pair of the 1010’s. 808’s are definitely more narrow. Length felt true to size though. Way too narrow for me buy, I do have a pretty wide foot though. Again, 1010’s work for me.

Name checks out when your talking about shoe fit hahaha

Thebird

• Rep: 158
« Reply #4507 on: August 27, 2022, 07:14:26 PM »
Anybody know how the Westgates fit compared to the 440?  Are they as wide?

stringsnthings

• Rep: -48
« Reply #4508 on: August 27, 2022, 10:19:19 PM »

Westgates are probably the closest comparison the the 440. I've skated both. I have a more narrow foot and the 440 fits better. The 508 has a slightly bigger/wider toe box but they broke in a little quicker for me. Overall performance is about the same IMO and both are quality and durable.

Thebird

• Rep: 158
« Reply #4509 on: August 28, 2022, 12:27:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Westgates are probably the closest comparison the the 440. I've skated both. I have a more narrow foot and the 440 fits better. The 508 has a slightly bigger/wider toe box but they broke in a little quicker for me. Overall performance is about the same IMO and both are quality and durable.

Is the waist of the westgate as narrow as the 440?

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 460
« Reply #4510 on: August 28, 2022, 02:29:38 PM »
I'm liking the Foy 306's I got in black/red. They are already wearing quite heavily from extensive flatground kickflip practice but they felt so comfortable right out of the box. I thought they would be a good shoe for a big fat guy lol...

My only complaint is that the laces were too short to go to the top metal eyelet and also they didn't come with extra laces. Not sure if someone ripped them off from the box or if shoes just don't come with spare laces anymore? But I was kinda bummed about that. Couldn't even find any flat laces around town so had to use some round nylon hiking boot laces from Walmart after I somehow broke the lace at the very top, likely from my horrible flatground fs 180's I was doing the other day.

Hubba Bo-Tep

« Reply #4511 on: August 29, 2022, 02:41:00 AM »

Thanks man!  I'll try the 808s on when I can but I reckon they won't be the shoe for me unfortunately.

stringsnthings

• Rep: -48
« Reply #4512 on: August 29, 2022, 07:31:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

About the same slightly bigger on the 508.

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #4513 on: August 29, 2022, 07:45:57 AM »

What size those wheat/black 1010’s ? If they 9.5 I’d consider taking off your hands 🫡

Hubba Bo-Tep

« Reply #4514 on: August 29, 2022, 10:07:50 AM »
What size those wheat/black 1010’s ? If they 9.5 I’d consider taking off your hands 🫡

Funny that, I wore them as chillers just yesterday and I'm thinking I'll keep 'em as chillers.  I'm in the UK so they're a US10.  If you're in the UK I might be persuaded.  Only worn them walking about for a few hours max.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4515 on: August 29, 2022, 11:40:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

thx for the write up, would you say there's less of a drop from heel to toe on the 808s?

Yo sorry I didn't try them on because the looks and stiffness were a complete no-go for me.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1010
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4516 on: August 29, 2022, 03:51:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

About the same slightly bigger on the 508.

I've not skated a westgate shoe in a hot minute (too narrow for me) so it's possible his shoe is different now, but as a 440 user, they are not narrow in the least, especially by skate shoe standards.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4517 on: August 29, 2022, 08:02:55 PM »
 :'(Westgate has a pointier toe shape that is less angular than the 440. It seems to have a less pronounced lip on the sole where it meets the upper. I haven't found anyone that has liked its durability and almost everyone seems to get heel lift in it since the heel has no cup to it. I tried them on a few times and just couldn't see why I'd want them over a 440 or 1010, the perforated leather panel is kinda weird looking to me, and most of the colorways suck.

Been skating my Tiagos finally and like em enough I got a second pair. Also got the Jake Darwin 440 and going to through Superfeet insoles in em, which NB sells a rebranded version of now for extra money.

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4518 on: August 30, 2022, 01:54:12 AM »
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

somedudefromnj

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 77
« Reply #4519 on: August 30, 2022, 07:44:15 AM »
Whats with the 22s? I know everyone is needing more protection or preferring a thicker shoe lately but im curious about these. If the number reflects the amount of tech does that mean this is a piece of cardboard with a clean upper?

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

mini greek

• Rep: 32
« Reply #4520 on: August 31, 2022, 07:14:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

the NBs jeff has on are CLEAN, 440s?
[close]

maybe 533v2? i have a black and gum pair and the bottom looks like that
[close]

It’s not the 533. I know the sole pattern of that shoe. I’ve skated about 20-25 pairs between v1 and v2. It does look like the 440 sole since it has that little square print near the toe.
Its a 440 in an upcoming team rider colorway...
Get litty.....

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
« Reply #4521 on: September 02, 2022, 10:47:29 PM »
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

streetmeat

• Rep: 169
« Reply #4522 on: September 03, 2022, 04:47:29 PM »
the marketing got me, went to the local and grabbed the 808s today

eSK3

« Reply #4523 on: September 04, 2022, 02:18:16 AM »
Mini review after skating a pair for about 10 hours:

True to size. Don’t go a half size down like the mesh toe 1010. They have good heel lock. Not as narrow as people are saying. They break in and the fit is supportive and feels solid against ankle rolling. I feel it’s more grippy right out of the box than the 1010. The outsole tread is deeper so it should last longer than the 1010. Great Flick on kickflips. Heelflips don’t rip the top lace anymore on me like the 1010.

I’ll just say: best new cupsole shoe of the year.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 257
« Reply #4524 on: September 04, 2022, 04:56:42 AM »
@rothdigga what’s the deal (if any) with Reynolds?

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #4525 on: September 04, 2022, 09:39:58 AM »
Mini review after skating a pair for about 10 hours:

True to size. Don’t go a half size down like the mesh toe 1010. They have good heel lock. Not as narrow as people are saying. They break in and the fit is supportive and feels solid against ankle rolling. I feel it’s more grippy right out of the box than the 1010. The outsole tread is deeper so it should last longer than the 1010. Great Flick on kickflips. Heelflips don’t rip the top lace anymore on me like the 1010.

I’ll just say: best new cupsole shoe of the year.

hell yeah, ty.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #4526 on: September 05, 2022, 02:38:28 AM »
I am a true 13 in pretty much every Nike and New Balance shoe that I've tried, as well as most other shoes I've tried that I can recall. But the nb 808s in a 13 were too tight on the toe, I'd definitely need like a 13.5 or something but they don't make those.

Maybe I just have a long big toe most people will be just fine but to me they fit noticeably smaller than 1010s which fit me perfect so thought it was worth mentioning

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #4527 on: September 05, 2022, 05:16:22 AM »
I have a few questions to ya NB# heads.

Are NB# vulc shoes similar to other vulc shoes? If so, I am interested in one of those cup models. I like my shoes to be snug and I have a very low volume feet shape, so I am looking for a narrow and tight shoe in the front and cushioned sidewalls around my weak ankles. So far, I like the look of the 288 and 440. I think I read a lot of people like the 440 model. The 425 also looks nice, but I am not sure I can handle only having 5 lace holes. The 272 also looks cool, but that is a vulc and I don't know if I will like the ortho insole.

Any other models I should keep an eye on?

Help. And thanks in advance pals.
IG: @flowterspace

chris.

• Rep: 184
« Reply #4528 on: September 05, 2022, 05:34:06 AM »

Are NB# vulc shoes similar to other vulc shoes? If so, I am interested in one of those cup models. I like my shoes to be snug and I have a very low volume feet shape, so I am looking for a narrow and tight shoe in the front and cushioned sidewalls around my weak ankles. So far, I like the look of the 288 and 440. I think I read a lot of people like the 440 model. The 425 also looks nice, but I am not sure I can handle only having 5 lace holes. The 272 also looks cool, but that is a vulc and I don't know if I will like the ortho insole.

“Low volume feet” is a perfect description for my feet as well. Tried on the 288 in a store one time and I’m not sure I’ve ever come across a shoe less suited for my foot. I love the 440. Skated two of the highs and they would be my favorite if the sole was a little more substantial. I’m not sure the lows would give enough cushion around the ankle.

1010 cranked to all hell with an extra lace loop added up top are still my favorite shoes I’ve skated in the past few years.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #4529 on: September 06, 2022, 06:10:20 AM »

508s are a nice cup.