Poll

Does the woodshop a brand use for their decks impact your decision on buying a board?

Yes absolutely
488 (70.6%)
Yeah I guess a bit
163 (23.6%)
Indifferent either way
16 (2.3%)
Not really
13 (1.9%)
No never
11 (1.6%)

Total Members Voted: 685

Author Topic: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2024 + misc deck and board info, help, questions, etc  (Read 167168 times)

FatGuy92

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anyone know how good/bad the birch boards are from NHS? I'm over spending $70-$80 per deck and other price point options don't come in dimensions that I like
[close]

Should be similar to the Dwindle PP boards, good for a few sessions but they'd sog out prematurely.
[close]

The last dwindle PP I had was shit. dead after one session. delamed in about 2 weeks. The price of decks has gone up there is also a glut of discount and blank decks for below $50. DGK, Primitive, Crailtap, Theories, and tons of other brands and shops, offer some form of mystery board bundle.

Expand Quote
Anyone know how good/bad the birch boards are from NHS? I'm over spending $70-$80 per deck and other price point options don't come in dimensions that I like
[close]

I think the market for all those generic Santa Cruz boards, more so than Creature, but maybe those too, was more for the beginner to intermediate skaters, but if you don't break boards that often, they should be ok.

Overall they will still skate fine, but for adults skating hard, they might not hold up as well, or as long as other more normal boards might, as Rocklobster and Twist have said above.

Some of the shapes were a bit weird when I saw them in person here in an Aussie shop, but they were steepish and stiff to stand on there.

thanks all. i'll probably pass on these then

danmasontree

• Rep: 16
Probably a dumb question… but will all BBS skate relatively the same assuming they are the same dimensions no matter the board company?

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Probably a dumb question… but will all BBS skate relatively the same assuming they are the same dimensions no matter the board company?

Ha, no nothing like that is a dumb question, but sometimes there is never just a yes or no answer.

So I think to answer this well, firstly, there are generic dimensions of the Generator boards, which is the blanks / smaller brands and even some not so small brands, that all use the same boards as skatesamples.com boards, shapes and dimensions on here somewhere and easy enough to find in the search option, then secondly, there are all the other boards of more specific and unique dimensions that the bigger brands have as their usual go tos, many of which you can't get anywhere else as they are their own specific shapes, dimensions and so on like that.

Sure there are a lot of boards of very similar dimensions, but even 1 mm here or there can make such a big difference in skateboards, that it is better to just say that they are definitely not all the same.

Also to add to that, concaves can vary greatly too, some boards being very steep like FA / Hockey, others super mellow like DLX IV press boards, all from BBS, but totally different to skate.  Those two brand houses have their own shapes / dimensions too.

Maybe the hardest thing to check is given there are always four to a press, some could be steeper and some more mellow in the same boards, same dimensions, same graphic, etc, as per a dozen or more of the exact same board I have had come through my hands in the past, more so for the shop situation, but when I have found something I liked, I bought all of them, then sold on whatever didn't work for me, in that case the steeper boards.

Now as far as the question "Will they all skate the same?" there could be a number of different answers there too, but I think I would say not counting any weird landings or issues people have with landing incorrectly, fresh board bad landings breaks or whatever, yes the same boards should all skate the same too, but even with my own riding the same board x 20, 30, 50 maybe as I never counted how many I had of the AH black eagle 8.125 size board, then the DLX 8.38 shape now for a few years, so some skated better than others, for no other reason than some just felt more comfortable.  That is why I like to stand on a board before I set it up, but I know not everyone can have the luxury of doing that.

Edit:  Adding this here as the previous skatesamples.com dimensions pic seems to have been removed.  Let's see how long this stays up then.

We're exploring doing collabs/drops with a [/ the right] partner (stay tuned), but prior, we looked into doing them ourselves; here is what they sent me (as of this month).

* Edit:

I had to do a double take on that chart, then recheck the first / old shape chart and I had not realised that there are the two new ones in there, the 8.25 and 8.5 shorter wheelbase boards - that is same nose and tails, just shorter length and wheelbase.

Now saved that new chart as well, with everything else still being the same as the old one.

Wondering how many people might not realise there are two options now for the 8.25 and 8.5 sized boards, but it makes sense, with so many more people going with shorter boards / shorter wheelbases.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 03:55:06 PM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.

Adding this here.

I am riding these:

https://firstskateshop.com/en-eu/collections/superply/products/twin-tail-blank-deck

Made in Germany, also ship bulk:

https://quarterdist.com/

Wait so Poetic is made there in Germany not by Control as listed in the Woodshop thread?

https://quarterdist.com/brands-eng/

Updated.

I was trying to find out where / when things might have changed, but I think it could have been last year, 2023 with Quarter increasing their business and taking on some local accounts, as well as Blast Skates when Gnosis woodshop closed.

That's about all I have to go on, but either way, it is always good to have the list as current as possible, as most of the brands would never provide a lot of info.

Just a small headsup but the wording on the production page makes it sound like the boards themselves are not actually constructed in house.
We source the blank decks from factories with decades of experience in production and development.

Yeah they import bulk boards from China, which is not a bad thing, given they don't try to cover it up or hide the fact that they don't make the boards themselves.

Some of those Blast Skates boards are pretty cool shapes too, which is interesting to see, but people who have skated them say they are good boards, or good enough not to worry.

:)

rikki

• Rep: 290

Short answer: no.

But a moderate "yes" regarding all DLX's BBS boards (Antihero, Krooked, Real), as they are very much similar.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

Just browsing and this brand came up.

Good buddy Skateboards.

https://www.instagram.com/goodbuddyskateboards/

Interesting stains and layer options there.

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Rep: 223

Just browsing and this brand came up.

Good buddy Skateboards.

https://www.instagram.com/goodbuddyskateboards/

Interesting stains and layer options there.

I have had probably 5 Good Buddy decks- super friendly and great guys. It’s all BBS wood.  The graphics are great and they often have flecked paint or cool stains. The screen their own tees too.
Alex Perelsons brother Brandon is part of the company. San Diego dudes that go way back.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal

Adding this here too:

Where can I get a 10" popsicle? 33" length or more

Heroins have too small a wheelbase. I want at least 15" wheelbase and 33" length, solid nose and tail.

Everything else is old school with tiny / pointy nose.

Closest i can seem to find is the Moose 10x33 blank. Concave seems good but the nose is shorter and pointier than I'd like. Is nobody making 10" popsicles anymore?

We have 10 and 10.25 popsicles made
By south central with 15 wb and measures 33 long in this graphic only
https://www.35thave.com/shop/Skate/Decks/35th/p/35th-Script-Outline-Shop-Deck-x46710530.htm

That is so good, even a 9" wide board, or 9.5" and then the 10" and 10.25" boards as you said.

Some people here in Australia are always looking for and asking about wider boards, but there are just none around like that.

Passing on details to them, but to be fair, I think it is just not worth the effort to ship boards half way round the world, no matter how many, unless it is in a wholesale order type of thing, which no one here is about to do.

The shipping usually costs more than the board and the people who often ask about it are not the most cashed up individuals at the best of times either.

BELLYFUL has 10, 11 in pops with 15wb. they’re out of western australia?

Nice.

I will pass on their info to the people who want bigger boards.

Thanks!!

https://www.instagram.com/bellyful_skateboards/

BELLYFUL_SKATES
(Anti mass productionist)
Small batch hand cut toys..
Commissions currently closed >.<
Boorloo, Western Australia

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal

Adding this here:

Expand Quote
Is there a current deck out there that has a square ish nose and tail that’s mellow? Skating a quasi and I love the square but hate how steep it feels, especially the nose on switch/nollie tricks. Preferably on an 8.5 or wider too.
[close]

AWS and Habitat offer a similar or maybe identical shape, but have often felt pretty mellow, at least compared to how to steep the FA/Hockey/Quasi blunt shape tends to be.

I had 8.5s, for reference. Not sure on their 8.6/8.75 or 9.0s, but I assume they're similar to the 8.5 on mellowness

PS Stix are well known for having more mellow tails and steeper noses.  That is the Professor's version of a multi tool.

As for other BBS versions of the Quasi / GX1000 boards, which have the same shapes, it is down to checking the boards more so than all of them, some being a bit steeper / more mellow than others.

FA / Hockey are the steepest of all, but Quasi / GX1000 can be right up there too, from some I have seen.

AWS / Habitat / Metal also use the blunt shapes, often longer boards, shorter wheelbases, very long kicks, all on BBS so again some steeper, some a bit more mellow, but more even than PS Stix in terms of both kick angles.

I would almost think that the DLX - Rreal Full SE type boards, especially marked IV, but even III can also be blunt / squared off kicks, but way more mellow than anything else, as well as feeling really good overall, eg good dimensions and come in most sizes.

A recent Real 8.5 Full SE board was very mellow that I had come through my hands, marked IV and flatter than most I have seen, so I think given they are always out there, that might be the best option.

There are others out there, but right this minute I can't think of other brands that have squared off looking kicks, without them being actual shaped boards, which I don't know if you would want?

Example:

https://www.tactics.com/real/busenitz-overlord-85-full-se-shape-skateboard-deck/orange

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

MADE IN USA sticker on top
[close]
Made in USA? wtf? now who's doing their boards??
[close]
🤔 there’s a “1” stamped on top under the sticker…

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Primitive has used Pennswood in the past so it's possible they went there again.

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 122
Primitive has used Pennswood in the past so it's possible they went there again.

Commented in the other post, the 1 under the sticker seems very likely to be Pennswood

Thebird

• Rep: 158
Anyone know the difference between the full and standard shape for Coda?  Specifically wondering if one has steeper kicks.

GumOnMyGrip

Anyone know the difference between the full and standard shape for Coda?  Specifically wondering if one has steeper kicks.

It’s the difference between the two PS Stix shapes basically, one squared nose, the other tapered. The full I had wasn’t steep like a Hockey. Just regular .

Thebird

Expand Quote
[close]

It’s the difference between the two PS Stix shapes basically, one squared nose, the other tapered. The full I had wasn’t steep like a Hockey. Just regular .

So the full has a wider nose and tail, but it is not steeper?  Not a steep nose like the Quasi?

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
For my fellow small WB skaters on here, I recently DM'd Louie about a 8.25x31.75 Jacuzzi deck with 13.75WB that Caswell was riding, and he told me it's likely gonna be in production late summer. Seems like a smaller version of the 8.75 jet ski shape that's out now.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
For my fellow small WB skaters on here, I recently DM'd Louie about a 8.25x31.75 Jacuzzi deck with 13.75WB that Caswell was riding, and he told me it's likely gonna be in production late summer. Seems like a smaller version of the 8.75 jet ski shape that's out now.

I got to see one of those the other day, the 8.75 with short wheelbase.  The guys in the shop didn't realise it was such a wide board with a short wheelbase.

There are quite a few around now it seems, maybe more so Fasttimes than anywhere else, but other places might have them too.

GumOnMyGrip

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

So the full has a wider nose and tail, but it is not steeper?  Not a steep nose like the Quasi?

Wider nose didn’t notice any difference in tail. Not a steep Quasi nose.

Thebird

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Wider nose didn’t notice any difference in tail. Not a steep Quasi nose.

Awesome.  Thanks

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279

They are also pressing “at a partner” in Mexico (&& maple, reissues:

https://www.skateone.com/powell-peralta-pro-andy-anderson-heron-7-ply-maple-skateboard-deck-9-13-x-32-8

https://www.skateone.com/powell-peralta-vallely-elephant-skateboard-deck-lime-9-85-x-30

Powell’s  “Partner in Mexico” is BBS.  Per Ben Degros factory tour video showing pressing of SP3 concave decks at 3:30.   SP3 is the concave used on their old school reissue boards.   

https://www.skateone.com/powell-peralta-steve-caballero-chinese-dragon-reissue-skateboard-deck-sage-green-10-x-30

« Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 07:34:31 AM by backinaction »

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
Probably in the list but I haven't checked thoroughly yet.

Pharmacy Boardshop decks are Clutch right now. I have two 8.5 K9 mold graphics.

I'm bummed trying to skate one right now :( The kicks are so mellow compared to my usual BBS decks, that nothing pops right for me. Are you supposed to move your feet towards the bolts more to pop when the kicks are THAT mellow? If so, that feels gross and does not seem to work for me. Moving them closer to the tips of the kicks doesn't seem to feel right either. Real soggy feeling  tail and nose.

Looks like I gripped this board to only skate it for 20 minutes since I'm setting a different new deck from my stack Saturday morning before going sskating. Gonna keep this as an emergency spare.
Super Champion Fun Zone

rikki

• Rep: 290

I'm bummed trying to skate one right now :( The kicks are so mellow compared to my usual BBS decks, that nothing pops right for me. Are you supposed to move your feet towards the bolts more to pop when the kicks are THAT mellow? If so, that feels gross and does not seem to work for me. Moving them closer to the tips of the kicks doesn't seem to feel right either. Real soggy feeling  tail and nose.

Looks like I gripped this board to only skate it for 20 minutes since I'm setting a different new deck from my stack Saturday morning before going sskating. Gonna keep this as an emergency spare.

Mellow kicks don't work for me either. They screw up my pop hella bad. I can't ride Indys on a mellow 14.25 wb deck, gots to be Ventures and even then there's something off. Been struggling on a mellow Sour deck, and just measured the steepness of the kicks on it -- they are noticeable mellower than what I prefer, which is usual the DLX/BBS snappy steepness.

fernando the skater

• Rep: 120
In case anyone missed it, PS Stix did another post with their 50 board minimum offer.

Our new minimum of 50 decks includes options for 2 graphics at 25 pcs each.
All popsicle and shaped decks from our catalog are accessible to this program in increments of 5
We still do our custom cut program with a minimum of 50 of the same shape.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
  • &#633;&#477;&#652;&#477;&#633;o&#607; llo&#7450;
All HLC boards have a 6.5 tail?
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

Pharmacy shop added to the skateshop list on the first page - thank you!

The weird thing is most Clutch boards I have had come through my hands have been steeper, or at least different to BBS, which made getting used to them not as easy as some changes.

I guess they would have some molds steeper and some not as steep, as per almost every other big woodshop, but I just haven't really heard or seen much about them, besides the shape information.

For a shop like that, if it is your local or somewhere you might go a bit, I would be curious to ask them about the board shapes and concaves, in case they do have steeper boards, or if they are all more whatever they get and that's it.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
In case anyone missed it, PS Stix did another post with their 50 board minimum offer.

Expand Quote
Our new minimum of 50 decks includes options for 2 graphics at 25 pcs each.
All popsicle and shaped decks from our catalog are accessible to this program in increments of 5
We still do our custom cut program with a minimum of 50 of the same shape.
[close]

Nothing against industry heads like Julio, but for a while there, he was pushing Clutch pretty hard for everything, so I kind of wonder what changed or happened, for him to now be working for or with PS Stix since mid 2023?  Maybe just a better deal than when he had Las Americas going through Clutch, but I don't even want to speculate there.  He was at BBS back in the day too, so I guess now he has all three on his resume.

It seems like there are often not a lot of staff in the running of the sales / calls anyway, many just being one guy doing most of the work in that regard, compared to the however many (many) workers on the woodshop floor making the boards.

https://www.instagram.com/psstix_julio/

https://www.instagram.com/lasamericas2382/

* Any which way, I just like looking at all the boards and different woodshop pics, so I just think it is cool to see when people post quite a few pics from inside, the machinery, the environment, the boards in various stages of construction, etc.

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.

I know these are clutch but im curious if this is a fuller/shovel nose or just the same one as before?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal

I know these are clutch but im curious if this is a fuller/shovel nose or just the same one as before?

I think it is probably still the same one.

Interesting from comments on that post and the previous one, Ryan ordered the 8.5 twin but they got something else.  These twins just being the 8.0 and the 8.25 boards.

Also with regard to kicks, more like a twin nose, not twin tail.

blankchecksupply

9h
they are more of a double nose. I think the nose and tail are around 7”

Then from the listings, which also show the top and bottom pics, which could have something to do with the look of the boards - top always looks more pointy, from the bottom always looks more blunt or full shaped:

https://blankchecksupply.com/products/the-symmetrical-blank-skateboard-deck-8

Dimensions:

Width: 8"      Length: 31.875"       Wheel Base: 14.25"       

Nose: 6.875"      Tail: 6.875"

https://blankchecksupply.com/products/the-symmetrical-blank-skateboard-deck-8-25

Dimensions:

Width: 8.25"      Length: 32"       Wheel Base: 14.25"       

Nose: 7"      Tail: 7"