Author Topic: How would you define “core” to a grom?  (Read 6877 times)

ChrisLambe94

Re: How would you define “core” to a grom?
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2019, 02:46:55 PM »
I would tell little G to never use the word core.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 02:51:07 PM by Christopher Lambe »

Francis Xavier

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2235
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2019, 03:15:18 PM »
Dm pros on insta like a real man, that's pro

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

FrigidSofa

• Rep: -9
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2019, 03:27:51 PM »
Socialize with others don’t isolate yourself from your community
Be yourself be true to people who hold you down
Stay away from junkies and drunks
Finish school if you can
Be in the streets and support your local shop.

Have fun and don’t expect to get anything out of it other than pain

Beef is stupid keep it moving

/thread
As someone who has an undergraduate degree in Kookonometrics, a graduate degree in Discrete Kookology, and a PhD in Kookospace Engineering...

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1332
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2019, 04:49:11 PM »
So

The neighbors kid just kinda got Ollie in both stances on the grass.
It took like a half hr tops and has all four wheels off the ground almost every try in both stances.
I consider that is significant accomplishment on your first day and a sign for my to teach him the basics. 
He’s never skated before and his parents may believe it to be “white boy shit”

How do I change that

Is the kid into it? At the end of the day, that's all that probably matters.

There's always some Stevie parts/interviews you can throw at the folks if they're doubting.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Coco Santiagos Kitten

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2019, 05:25:56 PM »
Indy Igloo coolers.

ChrisLambe94

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2019, 05:46:24 PM »
Dm pros on insta like a real man, that's pro

Dustwardprez

« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2019, 08:50:41 PM »
I would tell little G to never use the word core.

I agree. I prefer the word fun.

Dustwardprez

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2019, 09:29:28 PM »
Expand Quote
So

The neighbors kid just kinda got Ollie in both stances on the grass.
It took like a half hr tops and has all four wheels off the ground almost every try in both stances.
I consider that is significant accomplishment on your first day and a sign for my to teach him the basics. 
He’s never skated before and his parents may believe it to be “white boy shit”

How do I change that
[close]

Is the kid into it? At the end of the day, that's all that probably matters.

There's always some Stevie parts/interviews you can throw at the folks if they're doubting.

Yeah that’s what I was think but I was thinking Stevie and Josh.
I’ve chosen Robert Neal I think.

“run skate chill run skate chill” doesn’t fly in the this town. I have had the cops stop me and they were scared af before they look me up. Also
I’ve gathered his mother is really aware of where we live. The school is liberal the cops not so much. I can see “run skate chill” leading to future problems because change is not coming soon to this area.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1378
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2019, 09:42:30 PM »
Show the boy or girl an apple core with seeds. Tell them that the core is where the seeds are. Then point to them and tell them that they're the seeds, and they grow from the core. Then, show them a normal apple. Tell them that although the apple may look fresh and ripe, the apple can't exist without the core, and the "seeds" that are sheltered by the core.

Dustwardprez

« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2019, 10:00:07 PM »
Show the boy or girl an apple core with seeds. Tell them that the core is where the seeds are. Then point to them and tell them that they're the seeds, and they grow from the core. Then, show them a normal apple. Tell them that although the apple may look fresh and ripe, the apple can't exist without the core, and the "seeds" that are sheltered by the core.

Do you know who I am or something? Lol

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 653
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2019, 10:25:39 PM »
If the word core is dated/uncool... how do we describe those who are committed to skateboarding, are part of the scene, seem to understand the subculture, and know all sorts of stupid info about skateboarding?

Is there a better term? (Not a bullshit post. This is an honest question.)

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

SadandLonely

• Rep: -30
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2019, 08:46:11 AM »
Skating for me at least is the only thing that really makes me happy, after my dad died and he gave me a whole complete for Christmas so I continue to skate because 1. It’s my favorite Toy
2. It feels like I’m spending the day with my dad.

ChrisLambe94

« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2019, 08:49:40 AM »
If the word core is dated/uncool... how do we describe those who are committed to skateboarding, are part of the scene, seem to understand the subculture, and know all sorts of stupid info about skateboarding?

I’m not trolling but I would guess a skateboarder.

topblagger

« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2019, 12:51:37 PM »
It's the word that comes before "Blimey".
Usually said by Sid James just after something "saucy" happens in a Carry On film.

Dustwardprez

« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2019, 01:03:39 PM »
Skating for me at least is the only thing that really makes me happy, after my dad died and he gave me a whole complete for Christmas so I continue to skate because 1. It’s my favorite Toy

This is similar to my story. My first board came from my cousin. He was a Marblehead punk and was a celebrated drummer in the later part of the Boston hc scene. He was killed by a friend in a stolen car may 1 1986 at age 17. He was like my hero.

I’ve been obsessed with my skateboard and music since. I play like 6 legitimate instruments and can produce. Chuck Treece was an early inspiration  amongst others

SadandLonely

• Rep: -30
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2019, 01:22:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This is similar to my story. My first board came from my cousin. He was a Marblehead punk and was a celebrated drummer in the later part of the Boston hc scene. He was killed by a friend in a stolen car may 1 1986 at age 17. He was like my hero.

I’ve been obsessed with my skateboard and music since. I play like 6 legitimate instruments and can produce. Chuck Treece was an early inspiration  amongst others
you know what’s funny is that my dad hated skater and skateboarding. But he always tried to support me the best he could. He grew up in the 80’s and 90’s. My dads probably smoking weed on the beach.

Dustwardprez

« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2019, 04:36:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
you know what’s funny is that my dad hated skater and skateboarding. But he always tried to support me the best he could. He grew up in the 80’s and 90’s. My dads probably smoking weed on the beach.

Same my dad said it was for punk fuck devo faggots.

Every one of his kids became punk rockers.

Szechuan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
  • BadDreams nightmarecollective.
    • BadDreams nightmarecollective. 📺 avatar image
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2019, 04:43:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Same my dad said it was for punk fuck devo faggots.

Every one of his kids became punk rockers.
My dad was a jock from Ohio, and one of his good friends grew up with Devo. Long story short they tried making him wear the energy dome hats and he almost got in a fight with all of them. I too grew up punk rock indirectly indespite of it. Nowadays my dad has chilled out and smokes alot, so it's all good.

georgethecat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2019, 04:57:42 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

In Lithuania, there's a word for getting lost while picking mushrooms, nugrybauti. We create words for all kinds of extremely specific things, but not normally more than one. So core it is.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 05:07:17 PM by georgethecat »

ChrisLambe94

« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2019, 05:11:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

In Lithuania, there's a word for getting lost while picking mushrooms, nugrybauti. We create words for all kinds of extremely specific things, but not normally more than one. So core it is.
I'll meet you half way n go with apple.

feedmeseymour

« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2019, 05:29:57 PM »

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 707
  • Free Max B
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2019, 06:10:18 PM »
Give me 5 dollars kid.

Free max b
FREE MAX B

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 653
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2019, 10:02:57 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

If I understand what you are saying correctly, I agree with your sentiment (that they both deserve credit for getting out there and rolling around), but it seems disingenuous not to differentiate between the two. I think it is hard to say that the dude who lightly engages in skateboarding is the same as the dude whose life revolves around skateboarding.

I have a basketball in my garage, but I wouldn't claim to be a basketball player. I don't think I'm anything like the dudes who are out there 6 days a week and love the shit out of the game. I remember watching some of the guys play basketball in Venice Beach and they appreciated the game in a way I will never understand.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2019, 10:18:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

If I understand what you are saying correctly, I agree with your sentiment (that they both deserve credit for getting out there and rolling around), but it seems disingenuous not to differentiate between the two. I think it is hard to say that the dude who lightly engages in skateboarding is the same as the dude whose life revolves around skateboarding.

I have a basketball in my garage, but I wouldn't claim to be a basketball player. I don't think I'm anything like the dudes who are out there 6 days a week and love the shit out of the game. I remember watching some of the guys play basketball in Venice Beach and they appreciated the game in a way I will never understand.
Theres a line in the sand for dudes that hit skateparks on the weekends vs dudes that hit spots. I get time constraints and all that, but fuck man it's about the hunt and thrill of finding something new. The way a skater talks and goes about skateboarding shows where they draw the line as whether it's a pastime or a way of life. Your basketball (ball) analogy is a good example.

ChrisLambe94

« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2019, 10:23:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
If the word core is dated/uncool... how do we  those who are committed to skateboarding, are part of the scene, seem to understand the subculture, and know all sorts of stupid info about skateboarding?

[close]
[close]

[close]
Theres a line in the sand for dudes that hit skateparks on the weekends vs dudes that hit spots. I get time constraints and all that, but fuck man it's about the hunt and thrill of finding something new. The way a skater talks and goes about skateboarding shows where they draw the line as whether it's a pastime or a way of life. Your basketball (ball) analogy is a good example.

I was talking about people who are committed to skateboarding , are part of the scene , seem to understand the subculture and know all sorts of stupid information about skateboarding.

curbslayer

• Rep: 9
  • How dose the board stick to their feet ?
« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2019, 10:12:28 AM »
core is still a thing. dudes are still committed and don't care whether you give them props or not. dudes still go skate when no one is looking. dudes who don't care about tricks or trends. dudes who actually like to ride their boards for no reason other than they love it.  that's core

Dustwardprez

« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2019, 10:55:33 AM »
Core Ripping off people former slap/ current thrasher employees for $280 bucks

Corporate is kicking out the rungs behind you then poorly slithering back down the ladder to ask a homeless addict skaters in withdrawal to score mushrooms to entice pros to let you take their picture because you can’t make your STI payment.

Shalom ked

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2019, 12:30:26 PM »
Walking to class last night, this dude had his buddy filming him ollie a little corner of a dirt patch that was parallel to the sidewalk. It was so core,but I couldn't find it on IG to confirm.

Oh,they had matching shirts too.

expired

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2019, 06:37:48 PM »
Only core skaters start gofundmes

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1184
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2019, 07:09:12 PM »
When mommy and daddy love each other very much, sometimes they like to wrestle in bed with no clothes on and that’s how core skate companies are made.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.