Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 359109 times)

sans umbilical

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 24
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #5610 on: April 11, 2024, 06:53:22 PM »
I've been running 5.2 Lo's on DLX 8.06 decks. Would I need to go to a 5.0 Lo if I drop to a 7.75? Also, I'm on 52mm Classics if that info is any help. On the Venture chart, it says 5.2 fits 7.9 - 8.1. So, would I be hot-rodding if I stay on 5.2's?
Keep Shredding

Scottboarding

• Rep: 82
« Reply #5611 on: April 11, 2024, 07:18:04 PM »
I've been running 5.2 Lo's on DLX 8.06 decks. Would I need to go to a 5.0 Lo if I drop to a 7.75? Also, I'm on 52mm Classics if that info is any help. On the Venture chart, it says 5.2 fits 7.9 - 8.1. So, would I be hot-rodding if I stay on 5.2's?
Yeah the 5.2s have an 8 inch axle so you'll be hot-rodding with that. The 5.0s have a 7.62 inch axle so those will be slightly smaller than the deck size meaning neither will be perfect. With 52mm classics 5.2s won't be too crazy if you ask me.

https://venturetrucks.net/sizes/

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #5612 on: April 11, 2024, 07:19:33 PM »
It's 0.125" on either side, I wouldn't stress....and your wheels will be lined up with the edge of the deck.

sans umbilical

« Reply #5613 on: April 11, 2024, 08:14:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Yeah the 5.2s have an 8 inch axle so you'll be hot-rodding with that. The 5.0s have a 7.62 inch axle so those will be slightly smaller than the deck size meaning neither will be perfect. With 52mm classics 5.2s won't be too crazy if you ask me.

https://venturetrucks.net/sizes/

Thank you for the feedback.
Keep Shredding

sans umbilical

« Reply #5614 on: April 11, 2024, 08:16:39 PM »
It's 0.125" on either side, I wouldn't stress....and your wheels will be lined up with the edge of the deck.

Oh, really? That sounds almost perfect then (if I understand you correctly). Thanks!
Keep Shredding

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5615 on: April 11, 2024, 10:00:16 PM »
If you’re not married to the 7.75 size, I’d just try it.  I rode 8.125’s on 5.6’s a bunch and the axel never stuck out.  The boards tend to be a hair larger, not sure if it’s the measurement points or what…..

sans umbilical

« Reply #5616 on: April 12, 2024, 05:39:01 AM »
If you’re not married to the 7.75 size, I’d just try it.  I rode 8.125’s on 5.6’s a bunch and the axel never stuck out.  The boards tend to be a hair larger, not sure if it’s the measurement points or what…..

Nah, I’m not married to it. It’s more of an experiment. Thanks for the info.
Keep Shredding

Bongwater Mojito

• Rep: 62
« Reply #5617 on: April 19, 2024, 08:48:11 PM »
The longer days got me awake earlier, and well, who doesn't want some gear madness in spring? To address it I decided to try Ventures after over 30 years on other brands. Wanted to have a pretty typical setup, so 5.6 V-Lights and a G052 shape. After initial sessions, I kind of like it. The timing is different compared to Indys and BBS boards, but so far I feel like I can adjust to it. I like the center stability, and when tilted, the turn is adequate. When nose-/tailsliding the baseplate slide and more bodyweight on top of the ledge feels way better than with Indys. Maybe only negative thing I noticed immediately is the "correctional responsiveness", ie. when you want to quickly turn a bit to fix your off-balance. That's slower than on Indys. I guess it comes with the territory, nothing to be done? Running stock, not sure how much I want to mod them, maybe Riptide pivots. I guess flat top washer affects more to the maximum turn, not the issue I'm having? In any case, gonna keep riding these especially when skating ledges and street.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5618 on: April 19, 2024, 09:02:14 PM »
The longer days got me awake earlier, and well, who doesn't want some gear madness in spring? To address it I decided to try Ventures after over 30 years on other brands. Wanted to have a pretty typical setup, so 5.6 V-Lights and a G052 shape. After initial sessions, I kind of like it. The timing is different compared to Indys and BBS boards, but so far I feel like I can adjust to it. I like the center stability, and when tilted, the turn is adequate. When nose-/tailsliding the baseplate slide and more bodyweight on top of the ledge feels way better than with Indys. Maybe only negative thing I noticed immediately is the "correctional responsiveness", ie. when you want to quickly turn a bit to fix your off-balance. That's slower than on Indys. I guess it comes with the territory, nothing to be done? Running stock, not sure how much I want to mod them, maybe Riptide pivots. I guess flat top washer affects more to the maximum turn, not the issue I'm having? In any case, gonna keep riding these especially when skating ledges and street.

Yep, that's the downside to them; with indy/ace you have that loose swerve (if you can tame it on loose trucks) and thunder has their twitch. Ventures aren't as forgiving in that regard and how they get bagged on for 'not turning' and being a 'ledge/flatground skater's truck since they ride tight/don't need much turn.

You could try conical bottoms (bones, like yuto ;)) but be warned you will lose the magical stability they provide.

If you haven't already, swap out the top washer for a flat one (the hanger binds on the stock one if you ride loose enough) or go bones top stock bottom.

It messes with the geo just a bit as the bottoms are lower, but ACE hard LOWs are amazing in them; as is the stock bottom and a LOW HARD top if you can find one (fixes the washer binding and gets you a snappier back to center since you are doing the dual duro thing).

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #5619 on: April 19, 2024, 09:24:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yep, that's the downside to them; with indy/ace you have that loose swerve (if you can tame it on loose trucks) and thunder has their twitch. Ventures aren't as forgiving in that regard and how they get bagged on for 'not turning' and being a 'ledge/flatground skater's truck since they ride tight/don't need much turn.

You could try conical bottoms (bones, like yuto ;)) but be warned you will lose the magical stability they provide.

If you haven't already, swap out the top washer for a flat one (the hanger binds on the stock one if you ride loose enough) or go bones top stock bottom.

It messes with the geo just a bit as the bottoms are lower, but ACE hard LOWs are amazing in them; as is the stock bottom and a LOW HARD top if you can find one (fixes the washer binding and gets you a snappier back to center since you are doing the dual duro thing).

Fuck you @Xen now you got me hankering for some Ace Hard Low bushings and return to an Awakened state.

During the session today I was complaining to a homie about the Opera twin I've been riding, and he said I must really hate the board if it made me want to try Indys. I think he's right - I'm trying too make a board work.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Bongwater Mojito

« Reply #5620 on: April 19, 2024, 10:59:17 PM »

Been considering the flat washers. Do they affect the durability of the top bushings? I understood it's difficult to find replacements and so far I like the stock bushings.

rikki

• Rep: 286
« Reply #5621 on: April 20, 2024, 12:27:18 AM »
Re: the Venture turn: upon skating more street/ledges/etc. for the past year I've been loving tighter trucks and yes, Ventures (currently on 5.6 V-lights with an 8.25, stock bushings). The stability is unmatched for me. Anyway, I've recently noticed that if I loosen up the trucks a bit from the quite tight setting I've been on, the turn actually feels pretty amazing. I don't miss the turn of any other truck. It's all about what one's used to. And part of it is just in the mind. Better not buy any narratives like "Ventures don't turn" before getting to know them in depth. They can do anything any other truck can, and I'm not exaggerating here. I f*cking love them, stock bushings and all.

sadnocomply

• Rep: 138
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #5622 on: April 20, 2024, 10:02:46 AM »
Re: the Venture turn: upon skating more street/ledges/etc. for the past year I've been loving tighter trucks and yes, Ventures (currently on 5.6 V-lights with an 8.25, stock bushings). The stability is unmatched for me. Anyway, I've recently noticed that if I loosen up the trucks a bit from the quite tight setting I've been on, the turn actually feels pretty amazing. I don't miss the turn of any other truck. It's all about what one's used to. And part of it is just in the mind. Better not buy any narratives like "Ventures don't turn" before getting to know them in depth. They can do anything any other truck can, and I'm not exaggerating here. I f*cking love them, stock bushings and all.
my head - those Indy stage 4’s look tempting. My body- *adds a 5.6 to cart instead* I can never go back to anything else! I just need 10 sets of stock purp bushings and I would be set for a while

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 963
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #5623 on: April 20, 2024, 10:24:41 AM »

This what I was thinking.

For me there is a such thing as too small a grind surface. Or there was. I barely get on the front truck these days.
The smaller truck is good for crooks but not the best for staying balanced and straight. For me.
Wider trucks might piv on the block less? Could be in my head.

I do not like being crooked on top. It's a good way to catch and bang the ass bone on the block. Causing another unwanted body change
« Last Edit: April 20, 2024, 10:45:18 AM by Uncle Flea »
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5624 on: April 20, 2024, 11:52:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

For me there is a such thing as too small a grind surface. Or there was. I barely get on the front truck these days.
The smaller truck is good for crooks but not the best for staying balanced and straight. For me.

I do not like being crooked on top. It's a good way to catch and bang the ass bone on the block. Causing another unwanted body change

I flip flop thinking I need larger trucks for more room...then I think what do I need more room for, exactly? As I tend to slide around way more on larger trucks (149+) and smaller trucks lock-in better.

Expand Quote
[close]

Been considering the flat washers. Do they affect the durability of the top bushings? I understood it's difficult to find replacements and so far I like the stock bushings.

Nope, no downside to a flat top washer. Honestly the idea of washers are supposed to work seems very antiquated, especially with harder duro bushings readily available. Cupped washers are supposed to 'stop/restrict' the bushings from bottoming out. It's why I use flat washer all around. FWIW the stock bushings are fine, there are better quality bushings out there they just don't come in PURPLE!

@rocklobster Based on what you've told me, that Opera is a wash my dude. Time to move on.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2024, 12:01:19 PM by Xen »

ImmanuelCunt

• Rep: 33
« Reply #5625 on: April 20, 2024, 12:28:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I flip flop thinking I need larger trucks for more room...then I think what do I need more room for, exactly? As I tend to slide around way more on larger trucks (149+) and smaller trucks lock-in better.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Nope, no downside to a flat top washer. Honestly the idea of washers are supposed to work seems very antiquated, especially with harder duro bushings readily available. Cupped washers are supposed to 'stop/restrict' the bushings from bottoming out. It's why I use flat washer all around. FWIW the stock bushings are fine, there are better quality bushings out there they just don't come in PURPLE!

@rocklobster Based on what you've told me, that Opera is a wash my dude. Time to move on.

The only downside with flatwashers from my experience is that they might bite more aggressively on smith/feeble on rails especially on trucks like the 147s with barely any kingpin clearance.  Had deep scratches on the flatbar from the edge of the washer on trys were i stuck and felt a harsh resistant and never had that problem with cupped washers (it was the was her not the kingpin nut). Swapped them after that on the 147s. Did not have that problem that extreme on venture 5.6 on the bones washers with the bones ones but with the with the larger diameter ones from riptide it was the same. Obviously a combination of the angle, the non existent clearance, size of washer etc. Others die not have that problem or did not mind it but for me it was a dealbreaker.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5626 on: April 20, 2024, 03:07:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Ive noticed that I end up in accidental board slide a lot from crooking too hard with smaller trucks. Never a thought on the 5.8 up

Also cupped washers was an upgrade in the 80s. Memory serves correctly my Indy 4s had big flat washers up top
(A)pl(E)

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5627 on: April 20, 2024, 03:54:32 PM »
Krooks, for me, are the exception as we ALL get the 'crutch' from locking the wheel/the pinch.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #5628 on: April 20, 2024, 05:24:11 PM »
Krooks, for me, are the exception as we ALL get the 'crutch' from locking the wheel/the pinch.

i’m terrible at k-grinding. closer on larger ventures, 6.1s felt easier to lock in, the end result wasn’t that different for me.
so yes, agree wider easier for crookeds, but that line resonated with me ‘…i need larger trucks for more room….more room for what exactly….’

i probably skate better on 8” trucks, but….then wider trucks feeeeeeeel good, so there is always that conundrum looming for me

CarcassToss

• Rep: 26
« Reply #5629 on: April 20, 2024, 08:53:54 PM »
I learned to crook on 7.5 Venture lows and it's my best generic grind so I dunno if it's really about room and more about riding Ventures.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #5630 on: April 20, 2024, 11:04:25 PM »
(ahem)….7.62

wish i had good crooked grinds

Bongwater Mojito

« Reply #5631 on: April 22, 2024, 10:39:15 AM »

Read this thread back a bit. I happen to have pretty untouched Indy super soft bushings in my parts box. As the bottoms are same height, could I get the same kind of dual duro effect without losing geometry using Indy 78a bottom and stock top (90a)?

smg1138

• Rep: 40
« Reply #5632 on: April 22, 2024, 02:20:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I've been wanting to try flat washers for a while now. Where's a good place to procure some? Do they have to be specifically for truck kingpins or can you just get them at Home Depot?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5633 on: April 22, 2024, 03:51:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I've been wanting to try flat washers for a while now. Where's a good place to procure some? Do they have to be specifically for truck kingpins or can you just get them at Home Depot?

Bones washers are great (thin and fit great); home depot will have something. Just bring the bushings you are using and an existing washer to gauge the hole size.

rikki

• Rep: 286
« Reply #5634 on: April 27, 2024, 12:39:04 AM »
Tweaked my 5.6 V-Lights yesterday with 1/16 Ace Shockpads (resulting in c. 52 -> c. 53.5mm truck height). Suddenly my pop felt even better than before. Running 54mm wheels at the moment.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5635 on: April 27, 2024, 10:34:46 AM »
Tweaked my 5.6 V-Lights yesterday with 1/16 Ace Shockpads (resulting in c. 52 -> c. 53.5mm truck height). Suddenly my pop felt even better than before. Running 54mm wheels at the moment.

I find I prefer cast ventures over the forged due to height, the pop does feel better; and like what your using, allows for larger wheels which only further increases pop.

smg1138

• Rep: 40
« Reply #5636 on: April 27, 2024, 12:35:55 PM »
Does Venture still make OG Low 5.0's with the gold hardware? I was thinking about putting together a 7.5" 90's nostalgia setup just for fun and would love to get some. Everything I've come across online have forged baseplates which I don't want.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5637 on: April 27, 2024, 04:02:08 PM »
Does Venture still make OG Low 5.0's with the gold hardware? I was thinking about putting together a 7.5" 90's nostalgia setup just for fun and would love to get some. Everything I've come across online have forged baseplates which I don't want.

They might have some at orchard. Thats the last place I seen gold hardware in the flesh
(A)pl(E)

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5638 on: April 27, 2024, 04:23:16 PM »

I think apart from old stock, or some very specific versions, they have not done the gold extras on them for a while now, so it might be a little difficult to track down in the exact size and style you are after.

The funny thing is some people wanted to get rid of the gold bits on their trucks in recent years, opting for the plain silver instead, so there have been the extra gold bits floating around in some shops and I know I have a few sets somewhere, from people swapping them out before even starting to set up their boards.

If you check back through the Venture catalogs, there was one truck not too long ago that might have had them, but I don't think it was low, just the regular version as a throwback colourway.

* Funny when I checked the catalog now, two current options have the gold hardware, but none are low - the "Paid" trucks and the "Salt and Pepper II" trucks.

https://www.venturetrucks.net/spring-2024/

The Cash Only colab from the last catalog also had gold hardware, but again none in low.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5639 on: April 27, 2024, 04:38:48 PM »
I gotta order new 5.8s on the first maybe. I def gotta get another 8.75. I'm going go for VTL 5.8s. I think that product is exactly for someone like me.

I'm not big on hollow. I don't bend cast even at axles. This is prob right in the middle? I just wanna get lighter. So it can be a happy switch summer. Not a pain in the balls what am I training for? Summer.

It's for the soul.
(A)pl(E)