Author Topic: southern oregon (ashland/medford)  (Read 2334 times)

shitmeister

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -4
southern oregon (ashland/medford)
« on: June 22, 2015, 03:52:25 PM »
so late summer my girlfriend, our 2 dogs and i are driving to southern oregon from illinois in an rv to live for awhile. first destination is Ashland to visit a friend going to SOU and hangout there for awhile and try to find some sort of income. I've seen a few threads about portland and more northern oregon/washington but does anyone know how the skating is more south? looks like theres a lot of parks but seems like they all require helmets/pads which im not too into. Medford seems like a pretty decent sized city so i'd assume theres some sort of scene there. any info/help would be appreciated  :)

straight

Re: southern oregon (ashland/medford)
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 01:38:59 PM »
Go river rafting on the rogue river if ur in Medford

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 648
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 05:30:04 PM »
I took a class trip to Ashland last year and while it's a super nice small town, I saw next to no skate spots there. The university might have some, but I wouldn't expect much. Do explore the town and the nature around it and even watch a play at the Shakespeare festival (if you're into that). 

Heather Chandler

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 10:56:11 PM »
I like in Klamath Falls, which is about an hour east over the hill.  Great skatepark in KF.  Ashland park is OK, kind of getting run down, but still fun.  Jacksonville is good too, great setting and kind of quirky.  Medford is pretty big, but I don't really go there much.  White City is down the road and is actually really fun. Kind of a little street park.  About 12 miles from there is a new park in Gold Hill, which is really fun.  Think of basically the best ditch ever made with a bunch of additional perqs.  Southern Oregon as an area is overshadowed by Portland area.  It's easier to get around (i.e. less people), cost of living is lower, the coast is a few hours away, it's almost always sunny, outdoor recreation opportunities are endless, and you get a good mix of all types of people (conservative, liberal, weirdos) A lot of people want to stereotype the area as a meth haven, while there are plenty of tweakers, it's probably no greater than the same percentage in Portland.  I lived in Portland and Beaverton for a good 14+ years and I don't miss that shit at all.  A whole gaggle of uppity pricks up that way as far as I'm concerned. 

N.L.

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 12:30:24 PM »
 A whole gaggle of uppity pricks up that way as far as I'm concerned.  

Don't assume we're not reading, girlfriend.  :-*

Heather Chandler

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 11:04:13 PM »
Expand Quote
 A whole gaggle of uppity pricks up that way as far as I'm concerned.  
[close]

Don't assume we're not reading, girlfriend.  :-*

Present company excluded, of course.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 735
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 12:24:31 AM »
Bad place to stop and take a leak when you're driving weed across state lines. No doubt pretty cool on a whole bunch of other levels.

shitmeister

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 02:51:35 PM »
I like in Klamath Falls, which is about an hour east over the hill.  Great skatepark in KF.  Ashland park is OK, kind of getting run down, but still fun.  Jacksonville is good too, great setting and kind of quirky.  Medford is pretty big, but I don't really go there much.  White City is down the road and is actually really fun. Kind of a little street park.  About 12 miles from there is a new park in Gold Hill, which is really fun.  Think of basically the best ditch ever made with a bunch of additional perqs.  Southern Oregon as an area is overshadowed by Portland area.  It's easier to get around (i.e. less people), cost of living is lower, the coast is a few hours away, it's almost always sunny, outdoor recreation opportunities are endless, and you get a good mix of all types of people (conservative, liberal, weirdos) A lot of people want to stereotype the area as a meth haven, while there are plenty of tweakers, it's probably no greater than the same percentage in Portland.  I lived in Portland and Beaverton for a good 14+ years and I don't miss that shit at all.  A whole gaggle of uppity pricks up that way as far as I'm concerned. 

sick, thanks for the info man. yeah im super excited to visit/skate portland but i dont think id like living there much from what ive heard. super into camping/hiking stuff but i still wanna be able to skate a couple-a few times a week. all those parks you listed look pretty awesome. hows the weather there in the winter?

N.L.

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 03:55:58 PM »

sick, thanks for the info man. yeah im super excited to visit/skate Portland but I don't think id like living there much from what ive heard.

Comparing Portland to Southern Oregon is silly - they are two very different deals. Both amazing places to visit for different reasons.

Like anywhere, Portland is what you make of it. This city is getting a negative rep b/c of some ridiculous stereotypes that are flying around but I will say this, you can find whatever you are into here. Its an easy city to get around and generally very accepting of whatever quirk you have. Its certainly going through some gentrification and expanding population problems (much like SF and Seattle did over the last decade) and that blows for anyone trying to get a start in life but otherwise, come experience it for yourself, make your own opinion. Lots of perfect parks, and crusty street spots. Be nice and you might get an invite to one of the many private backyarders...
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 04:03:10 PM by N.L. »

shitmeister

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 02:02:37 PM »
Expand Quote

sick, thanks for the info man. yeah im super excited to visit/skate Portland but I don't think id like living there much from what ive heard.
[close]

Comparing Portland to Southern Oregon is silly - they are two very different deals. Both amazing places to visit for different reasons.

Like anywhere, Portland is what you make of it. This city is getting a negative rep b/c of some ridiculous stereotypes that are flying around but I will say this, you can find whatever you are into here. Its an easy city to get around and generally very accepting of whatever quirk you have. Its certainly going through some gentrification and expanding population problems (much like SF and Seattle did over the last decade) and that blows for anyone trying to get a start in life but otherwise, come experience it for yourself, make your own opinion. Lots of perfect parks, and crusty street spots. Be nice and you might get an invite to one of the many private backyarders...

yeah, im sure its tight. im sure ill make some weekend trips up there and whatnot. just not really trying to live in a bigger city cuz ill be living in an RV. plus i hear the weather down south is better. are there any decent shops down south? ive tried to look online but really about all i can find in medford is jacks boardshop which looks kinda like a kooky SkateAmerica wannabe.

idealhandmades

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
    • IDEAL Handmades - Skateboards avatar image
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2015, 07:20:44 PM »
Hey, I'mma be in Ashland for pretty much all of October. anybody know if they actually enforce that helmet rule at the park there?
@idealhandmades