Author Topic: What size wheels and why?  (Read 20986 times)

noileum

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 29
Re: What size wheels and why?
« Reply #120 on: September 15, 2012, 11:02:41 PM »
54 - 56 as long as they're nice and fat, can't stand skinny wheels

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #121 on: September 16, 2012, 08:28:59 AM »
53mm Spitfire F1's work the best for me.. Good for street, parks and skating on shitty ground.
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #122 on: September 16, 2012, 11:10:01 AM »
I stick around the 52-54mm range. Any 99-101A wheel will do me fine.

Jon

• Rep: -3
« Reply #123 on: September 16, 2012, 01:18:24 PM »
54s

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #124 on: September 16, 2012, 01:40:32 PM »
I usually start with 53 or 53.5's. Who know's how much I let those things dwindle down before I get new wheels though - fuckin' hate setting up new wheels for some reason. They just feel weird to me for a couple of days.

bitterbuffalo

• Rep: 4
« Reply #125 on: September 16, 2012, 05:01:38 PM »
55 and up preferably, currently on some 57 park burners... big board = big wheels.

they all wheels get worn down, especially by the rough shitty ground in rva.

I feel ripped off after skating 53's for a month or three for them to end up as bearing covers.

myles.

• Rep: 4
    • mylessk8s avatar image
« Reply #126 on: September 16, 2012, 08:22:36 PM »
53-56mm on a regular set-up. preferably spitfires
60-65mm on an oldschool/cruiser set up

NowhereInLife

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #127 on: September 16, 2012, 10:38:46 PM »
I like a fairly narrow 52 that is not above 99.  I find hardness more of a factor than size on whether I will enjoy cruising or not, so 97 to 99 is good for the streets I'm in (nyc).  I ain't really trying to skate shitty ground for long stretches, and if it's just in patches I don't mind doing that make yourself lighter thing for sec or two.  I get lots of wheels because I like to keep them pretty fresh, and I like to see wheels sitting around the house and shit.  I'm on 53 spit classics at the moment they looked big to me at first but are just fine.  I tend to stick to autobahn and spit classic.  I set up a cruiser with 70mm 78a joints on it for my girl so there was no chance of a pebble or crack ruining that gorgeous face of her's and it feels like a hoverboard and gets super fast real quick on the slightest incline, so I actually sized her down to a 63mm 83a ones so she wouldn't be like "no it's too scary" on every change in grade.  I like this thread, I'm kind of obsessed with wheels.  When I'm real bored or stoned I will clean the blackness that the hot summer asphalt will afflict them with off with alcohol.  But fall is just about here so the ground and the air are getting cooler.  Best fucking season for skating in the city.

commander jameson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #128 on: September 16, 2012, 11:46:08 PM »
52 STF.
Where I live we have a lots of marble and smooth streets to roll on so I don't  need bigger wheels.

few123456789

• Rep: -87
« Reply #129 on: September 17, 2012, 12:54:40 AM »
I used to not skate anything above 45 and I even did a lot of transition.  Times have changed.  I get 54s now.  They're big enough for speed but not too big.  I don't skate around the streets all day though.

Filip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -57
« Reply #130 on: September 17, 2012, 08:32:42 AM »
I used to skate 50mm, up until they were like 35mm. Right now, my 50 are probably 40 and I have a set of 52 sitting and waiting to be set up. I absolutely hate bigger wheels, even for bad ground, I grew up skating bearing shields, and I still cant skate big wheels. Also, 99 hardness is where its at for me, I had 101 Spitfires once, and they were horrible, at least for me, way too hard. And no skinny wheels for me, also.

midwestmiddleman

• Rep: -88
  • Pantheistprowler
« Reply #131 on: September 17, 2012, 09:04:34 AM »
I like a fairly narrow 52 that is not above 99.  I find hardness more of a factor than size on whether I will enjoy cruising or not, so 97 to 99 is good for the streets I'm in (nyc).  I ain't really trying to skate shitty ground for long stretches, and if it's just in patches I don't mind doing that make yourself lighter thing for sec or two.  I get lots of wheels because I like to keep them pretty fresh, and I like to see wheels sitting around the house and shit.  I'm on 53 spit classics at the moment they looked big to me at first but are just fine.  I tend to stick to autobahn and spit classic.  I set up a cruiser with 70mm 78a joints on it for my girl so there was no chance of a pebble or crack ruining that gorgeous face of her's and it feels like a hoverboard and gets super fast real quick on the slightest incline, so I actually sized her down to a 63mm 83a ones so she wouldn't be like "no it's too scary" on every change in grade.  I like this thread, I'm kind of obsessed with wheels.  When I'm real bored or stoned I will clean the blackness that the hot summer asphalt will afflict them with off with alcohol.  But fall is just about here so the ground and the air are getting cooler.  Best fucking season for skating in the city.
Yes i agree hardness is very crucial and  Autumn is a superb season.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
« Reply #132 on: September 17, 2012, 10:49:05 AM »
56mm, usually the thinnest ones I can find. 57mm is ideal, but it's difficult to find a wheel that big with a contemporary shape. The reason: I'm too old to get hurt on rocks/cracks. I'd rather save my slams for actual tricks.

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
« Reply #133 on: September 17, 2012, 12:33:52 PM »
50mm, small and thin. Ive always skated them like that, i usually just skate past the cracks so I have no real problem.

chowder.

• Rep: -11
  • falcon stomp your face first try...bitch
« Reply #134 on: September 17, 2012, 12:39:07 PM »
54's. Smaller wheels don't last as long. There big but that's my personal preference.
skate or whatever.

Numeral

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -20
« Reply #135 on: September 17, 2012, 06:39:24 PM »
still sticking to 54mm spitfire classics.