Author Topic: Gear madness support thread  (Read 88396 times)

typeischeap

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 106
Re: Gear madness support thread
« Reply #270 on: July 08, 2022, 05:11:56 AM »
Yeah, other than shoes I think I've stabilized. I measured my last three "favorite" decks and they are all 8.5, all 14.38, and all have the same nose and tail dimensions just a bit of variance in taper. Indys are 149/159 w/ forged plates. I've tried a lot of wheels but conical full 53mm/101a seem to be my sweet spot, the smaller harder full seems to make them less clunky than the larger sizes I've tried and they still lock in better on coping than radials and classics.

Don't get me started on shoes...madness...
Unapologetic shoes and gear nerd deep into my 3rd era of skateboarding every day.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 250
« Reply #271 on: July 08, 2022, 05:54:30 AM »
Boards I’m not mad at all. I like trying all sorts of stuff, from polarizers to 9-inch popsicles to SCRAMs to downhill boards so.

But my madness is pants. How baggy they are, how they hang, how they taper, how the look when I push, I hate how much I’m invested in it. Especially from 2000-2020 when it hard for me to find baggier stuff.

Now I’m happy with Polar 93s, 36-inch. They are pretty much ideal.
But maybe the best skate pant I ever had was a pair of Emerica brushed denim cargoes, called the ‘burnside’.

Burly yet soft and plush. And the perfect cut.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 03:09:22 PM by cucktard »
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
« Reply #272 on: July 08, 2022, 11:23:06 AM »
Boards I’m not mad at all. I like trying all sorts of stuff, from polarizers to 9-inch popsicles to SCRAMs to downhill boards so.

But my madness is pants. How baggy they are, how they hand, how they taper, how the look when I push, I hate how much I’m invested in it. Especially from 2000-2020 when it hard for me to find baggier stuff.

Now I’m happy with Polar 93s, 36-inch. They are pretty much ideal.
But maybe the best skate pant I ever had was a pair of Emerica brushed denim cargoes, called the ‘burnside’.

Burly yet soft and plush. And the perfect cut.

I was going way too hard with pants purchases for most of last year.  For the past three or four months I’ve pretty much only been skating these and they have served me well.  They’re a little thick but it doesn’t bother me cause they’re quite durable.  Not sure if anyone else has skated them and liked them…

https://www.carhartt.com/product/B11/loose-fit-washed-duck-utility-work-pant

Vintagebody

• Rep: 84
« Reply #273 on: July 09, 2022, 12:00:06 AM »
I notice that when I skate Indy's, my boards tail & nose doesnt have a as centered wear. As in I pop with the board not level. Anyone else noticed this? I guess its bcuz im not a long time indy skater, and not used to them 100% yet

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1037
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #274 on: July 09, 2022, 09:13:01 PM »
I notice that when I skate Indy's, my boards tail & nose doesnt have a as centered wear. As in I pop with the board not level. Anyone else noticed this? I guess its bcuz im not a long time indy skater, and not used to them 100% yet

I think certain tricks will always wear the tail more on the side too, compared to just straight ollies which usually wear the tail fairly straight across, or a little to toe side more than anything.

When I was doing a lot more frontside pop shovits, I would wear more off the heel side as I would put my toe right over, but that is a very limited use.

People who do pressure flips or impossibles really destroy the tail in a very diagonal wear on the toe side.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

IpathCats

« Reply #275 on: July 13, 2022, 11:32:27 AM »
welp, had a couple lame sessions on the thunders and went back to the indys. Back to the drawing board. I do feel like im getting closer though. Is this part of the madness? an illusion of progression while moving in a circle?

My biggest takeaways from the thunders were that i enjoyed the WB and stability, but i did not like the grind, and the baseplate issue bothered my blunts on rails. Nose and tailslides were manageable.

I'm itching to try a longer WB board with indy's now. I had them on an antihero 8.38 with a 14.5 wb not too long ago and they felt good. I'm not sure how many brands make boards 8.5 and smaller with a 14.5+ WB though.

And I've got a stack of 8.3 dlx twin tail slicks that i dont want to waste haha.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 552
« Reply #276 on: July 13, 2022, 12:53:29 PM »
welp, had a couple lame sessions on the thunders and went back to the indys. Back to the drawing board. I do feel like im getting closer though. Is this part of the madness? an illusion of progression while moving in a circle?

My biggest takeaways from the thunders were that i enjoyed the WB and stability, but i did not like the grind, and the baseplate issue bothered my blunts on rails. Nose and tailslides were manageable.

I'm itching to try a longer WB board with indy's now. I had them on an antihero 8.38 with a 14.5 wb not too long ago and they felt good. I'm not sure how many brands make boards 8.5 and smaller with a 14.5+ WB though.

And I've got a stack of 8.3 dlx twin tail slicks that i dont want to waste haha.

Decks I've ridden that fit that:

Quasi has some 8.5 with a 14.5 WB.
Creatures 8.6 decks (usually pro models like Russell, Martinez, Lockwood, etc.) are 8.6 with a 14.6 WB
AH18 BA was an 8.38 with a 14.6WB

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1186
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #277 on: July 13, 2022, 02:11:46 PM »
i have my trucks at the absolute peak of fiddling (Indy 149 ti, but with cast baseplates and hollow kingpins, with aftermarket indy conical bushings with small washers on the bottom in place of the bigger ones, and riptide pivot cups), but every once in awhile I throw it all together on forged plates, enjoy the featherweight feeling of the board in my hands, and then immediately regret my decision and put them back together again on the cast plates. 

ive come to accept it's a ritual i go through about every 3-4 months, and try to find zen/solace in the mere act of tinkering... but then I also think to myself:

hardly art, hardly starving

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
« Reply #278 on: July 13, 2022, 02:33:56 PM »

So no Thunders because of the grind? Damn.

I admittedly am not into the idea of Thunders, and I’ve been all over these threads praising Indys, but a couple weeks ago I found myself browsing the internet purchasing some 8.75” Thunder Team Hollows because I figured they might be advantageous for slappys, crooks, and 5-0s because of the pinch.  I’ve yet to set them up though and just had a great session on Indys today.  We shall see…

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #279 on: July 13, 2022, 02:34:15 PM »
I'm not sure how many brands make boards 8.5 and smaller with a 14.5+ WB though.

Creature / Santa Cruz have their 8.375x32 shape that has full nose/tail and a 14.5 wheelbase, as well as an 8.3x32.2 with a 14.5 wheelbase.  Settle for the least offensive graphic - because you aren't going to get a good one.   

They have another 8.375 with a more tapered tail/nose that has a shorter wheelbase.  Make sure you are looking at the longer.

I picked up one of the 8.375 ones a month or so ago and put Ace AF1 55s on it.  I had the same shape in the past with Indy stage 8 on it and loved it.  With the Ace, I think I've ridden it two or three times since I built it.  It's the build that made me realize I just need to stick to Indy and skate whatever shape works with Indy.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #280 on: July 13, 2022, 05:25:11 PM »

I did the opposite almost. Had a few lame sessions on Indys and was re-thinking of Thunders. I did like them and they are more stable. My nollie/switch pop is always good on them but I don't get as much height on other tricks. Grind is fine and the baseplate thing doesn't bother me. I think part of it is mental block against wanting to admit I skate with my trucks a bit tighter than I ran em in the past. Slowly getting rid of all my spare shit but having the hardest time getting rid of my trucks.

Also, my deck has felt weird since my flight, but I can't imagine that pros fly and just hope their boards make it to the other side with no issues. Would seem weird only Slap has issues with it. Is the checked baggage area not pressurized as the rest of the cabin? I landed on it pretty hard and heard a crack, but nothing is visible so I am still rolling it.

First few sessions when I got my current Real 8.25 were great, but now I'm feeling squarely and cramped and not quite sold.

IpathCats

« Reply #281 on: July 13, 2022, 08:34:43 PM »

Decks I've ridden that fit that:

Quasi has some 8.5 with a 14.5 WB.
Creatures 8.6 decks (usually pro models like Russell, Martinez, Lockwood, etc.) are 8.6 with a 14.6 WB
AH18 BA was an 8.38 with a 14.6WB

Might have to find that anti hero shape

Creature / Santa Cruz have their 8.375x32 shape that has full nose/tail and a 14.5 wheelbase, as well as an 8.3x32.2 with a 14.5 wheelbase.  Settle for the least offensive graphic - because you aren't going to get a good one.   

I can pretty confidently say I'll never buy a Santa Cruz board. The shape/dims would have to be perfect on the creature, and not be fucking lime green lol

So no Thunders because of the grind? Damn.

I admittedly am not into the idea of Thunders, and I’ve been all over these threads praising Indys, but a couple weeks ago I found myself browsing the internet purchasing some 8.75” Thunder Team Hollows because I figured they might be advantageous for slappys, crooks, and 5-0s because of the pinch.  I’ve yet to set them up though and just had a great session on Indys today.  We shall see…

The grind and turn. the pop feel and height were 50/50, sometimes I loved it other times it bothered me.

The difference in pinch between thunder 148 team baseplates, vs Indy 144 forged baseplates wasn't huge imo. I felt like the better grind from the Indy usually more than compensated for the slightly worse pinch. I really felt the need to wax, and wax regularly with thunders. Indys just plow through shit for me. I also skated indys the longest so I feel like that probably plays into how I get into/sit in some of my tricks. I like slappies, crooks, and 5-0's better on indys. But with enough wax, I can see how someone might prefer crooks and 5-0s on thunders if it suited how they did those tricks.

IpathCats

« Reply #282 on: July 14, 2022, 09:43:55 AM »
went back and read my previous posts about my initial thoughts on switching to thunders, made me feel like a crazy person that just realized they were crazy. halp.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1080
« Reply #283 on: July 14, 2022, 09:50:26 AM »
It’s pretty funny how this thread started with a bunch of posters talking about slimming down to one or two completes, keeping their trucks, not worrying about wheelbases, and now it’s just the usual people talking about how the .005m addition to the length of their trucks is throwing everything off and buying a new set of trucks because of it.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

IpathCats

« Reply #284 on: July 14, 2022, 10:09:32 AM »
It’s pretty funny how this thread started with a bunch of posters talking about slimming down to one or two completes, keeping their trucks, not worrying about wheelbases, and now it’s just the usual people talking about how the .005m addition to the length of their trucks is throwing everything off and buying a new set of trucks because of it.

lol its a "support" thread, we need to provide solace and serenity to those in times of madness. however that may be.

Landmine

• Rep: 185
« Reply #285 on: July 14, 2022, 11:32:46 AM »
Back on 52mm wheels.  56 felt weird.  I'll just suffer.

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #286 on: July 14, 2022, 11:46:09 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

lol its a "support" thread, we need to provide solace and serenity to those in times of madness. however that may be.

Yeah, I kind of just made this so I (and others) could vent about their gear neuroses without derailing other threads too much.

Just going to report back that I've been very into my "normal sized" popsicle. I like that if anything happens to it, I can walk into any skate shop and get another one and don't have to be all, "Yo, I need 5 in case they stop making them". Also very into the Ventures (5.6 hollows) I've been skating. There was no negative impact on my slappy/no comply game moving away from a big boy with Indy or Ace.

twic3

• Rep: 16
« Reply #287 on: July 14, 2022, 11:56:24 AM »
So I've been skating full shape 8.5 for a while now but the thing is I wear size 8 shoes and my board is almost as wide as my foot, I have very little heel hanging off. It never bothered me before but now that I'm skating more street than transition, I feel like its holding me back especially mannys and flat ground. Mostly bs flips and scooping (atleast I never heel drag though).

What are your guys thoughts on the amount of heel hanging off the board?

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1954
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #288 on: July 14, 2022, 11:57:40 AM »

No love for 54mm? I ride 52mm almost exclusively but love a skinny 54mm for that balance of speed and tech.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

IpathCats

« Reply #289 on: July 14, 2022, 12:27:21 PM »
So I've been skating full shape 8.5 for a while now but the thing is I wear size 8 shoes and my board is almost as wide as my foot, I have very little heel hanging off. It never bothered me before but now that I'm skating more street than transition, I feel like its holding me back especially mannys and flat ground. Mostly bs flips and scooping (atleast I never heel drag though).

No thoughts on how much heel should hang. but i wear a size 10 and skate 8.3-8.5, been on 8.3 or 8.38 for like a year or so now, I'm more of a street guy.

I'd say try 8.25, super common board size, and plenty of guys with bigger feet rip boards of that size on transition too.

If you're feeling wild, go for an 8", but i feel like the 8.25 will probably feel small enough to scratch that itch for a more flippy board without being a super harsh adjustment. Truck width matters just as much or more than board width when it comes to flippyness. would def recommend new trucks for the smaller board too.

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #290 on: July 14, 2022, 01:38:23 PM »
So I bought more shoes...

First my friend wanted me to order from the emerica site for him, so I picked up the JULIAN DAVIDSON gamma g6 and blk/gum wino slips for half off and cursed myself a bit. Then at night I browsed junkyard.com and saw that they did 3 for 2 on sale, and that they had a bunch of good emericas on 70% off, so I got a pair of pillars, temples, etnies joslin vulc, two pairs of tilt g6s and a set of satori top shelf 52 mm, all for 17-18 euros each.

A couple of weeks back I picked up some walkers, gilbert 2 lows and bulls skate halfcabs at a sample sale.

I don't know how many shoes I own, but it's more than 100.
No nike's though, fuck a nike.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #291 on: July 14, 2022, 02:06:52 PM »
Is this also the thread to brag? I'm gonna do it.
I haven't bought anything skate related in exactly one month

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #292 on: July 14, 2022, 02:27:10 PM »

I wear a US 7.5 and ride a 8.25 as my regular board. So only a bit of heel hanging off the board, I like it that way.

But I also ride a 8.9 sometimes and I can do all my flips with that setup too, just not as highly popped.

No need to overthink when it feels good.

In relation to this thread.. Sole Tech changed their shoe sizing a few years ago. As much as I like Emerica and Etnies, my feet are always swimming in their shoes.
I haven't yet found a narrow slim shoe that fits me as well as Lakai's for example. The Vince Alvarez pro shoe, the Atlantic is pretty good for my weird feet.
IG: @flowterspace

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 519
« Reply #293 on: July 14, 2022, 02:34:16 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I wear a US 7.5 and ride a 8.25 as my regular board. So only a bit of heel hanging off the board, I like it that way.

But I also ride a 8.9 sometimes and I can do all my flips with that setup too, just not as highly popped.

No need to overthink when it feels good.

In relation to this thread.. Sole Tech changed their shoe sizing a few years ago. As much as I like Emerica and Etnies, my feet are always swimming in their shoes.
I haven't yet found a narrow slim shoe that fits me as well as Lakai's for example. The Vince Alvarez pro shoe, the Atlantic is pretty good for my weird feet.

I think having at least a little bit of heel hanging off the board helps with control. Easier to wrap your toes around the toe side whilst having counterbalance on the other side, plus easier to put pressure on the heel/toe sides of the board.

That being said, I kinda have the opposite problem. I'm size 13 and skate between 8.25-8.5 so often skate just on my forefoot/toes (which is good for some things). 8.5 is very comfortable for me though.

I think as long as you don't get too much toe/heel drag, feel comfortable, can easily apply pressure on either side of the board without struggling, but can also skate slightly tiptoed instead of completely flat footed, you're in a good spot.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1484
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #294 on: July 14, 2022, 03:24:02 PM »
The only thing I’ve bought is a 917 hoodie for my son as a surprise for his upcoming birthday.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 06:56:08 PM by layzieyez »

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #295 on: July 14, 2022, 05:11:32 PM »

I bought ibuprofin.

Landmine

• Rep: 185
« Reply #296 on: July 14, 2022, 05:52:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I bought ibuprofin.

...I bought 4 Heroin decks to keep on ice  :-X

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1037
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #297 on: July 14, 2022, 06:26:42 PM »

Was that on the big egg?

I am all for 56mm wheels on some boards - usually transition or lazy day boards, but definitely not on every board, with 50 to 52 being more common on street or curb setups nowdays.

If you mix and match that will often be ok, but if you don't really skate much else, then it is a bit of a weird one, as you said.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 731
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #298 on: July 14, 2022, 06:40:50 PM »
My shoe size has changed drastically due to getting enough protein and now I’ve noticed changes drastically from beginning, middle, and end of the day. True life - I’m 31 and I don’t know my shoe size and it’s fucking killing me
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #299 on: July 14, 2022, 06:56:27 PM »
My shoe size has changed drastically due to getting enough protein and now I’ve noticed changes drastically from beginning, middle, and end of the day. True life - I’m 31 and I don’t know my shoe size and it’s fucking killing me

Size up
If you can go to a running store, they might size you up, and/or help you determine your arch length.