Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 720601 times)

Frank and Fred

Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #3870 on: February 15, 2022, 02:54:23 PM »
Untitled by

Moving in a month and cleaned out the closet where I store my skate stuff. I've accumulated these wheels over the course of 2 years (not including the sets on my two current set ups). Every one still rideable. All these different shapes, sizes, durometer has done a number on me. I don't know who I need to apologize to but I'm sorry.

Mother Earth? But redemption awaits by using them and/ or passing them on to deserving youngsters.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #3871 on: February 20, 2022, 05:09:29 PM »
Untitled by

Moving in a month and cleaned out the closet where I store my skate stuff. I've accumulated these wheels over the course of 2 years (not including the sets on my two current set ups). Every one still rideable. All these different shapes, sizes, durometer has done a number on me. I don't know who I need to apologize to but I'm sorry.

You should wear it as a necklace, and a sign of power allowing you to rule your tribe.

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #3872 on: February 20, 2022, 05:34:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Untitled by

[close]

You should wear it as a necklace, and a sign of power allowing you to rule your tribe.

Kind of looks like something that would get a person tried in The Hague.

logjammin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 346
« Reply #3873 on: February 20, 2022, 08:27:24 PM »
Whatever happened to the rumor of a 95a F4?  :'(

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #3874 on: February 20, 2022, 08:29:51 PM »
Have you tried the 97s? I felt they were so similar to the oj 95s that there wasn’t much difference.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #3875 on: February 20, 2022, 08:45:27 PM »
Have you tried the 97s? I felt they were so similar to the oj 95s that there wasn’t much difference.

Interesting! Was the slide comparable? I was under the impression that the spit 97’s slid way better and the only 95’s were pretty grippy?

logjammin

« Reply #3876 on: February 21, 2022, 04:28:07 AM »

I've had several sets and they're great but even a slightly grippier 95a would be nice. I dig NFG's 95a formula and all, too. But just would be cool of spitfire had that option as it's a bit easier to get ahold of since distros can ship em to my local.

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 552
« Reply #3877 on: February 22, 2022, 01:21:10 PM »
For anyone who missed out on the Kader wheels, it looks like two more sizes of Radial Fulls are coming - 56 & 58mm

logjammin

« Reply #3878 on: February 22, 2022, 02:42:46 PM »
Nah, those radial fulls are fucking proper. 95a-97a would be perfection.

nekro

• Rep: 8
« Reply #3879 on: February 22, 2022, 02:50:15 PM »

this ^

Space Cowboy

• Rep: 69
« Reply #3880 on: February 22, 2022, 04:07:05 PM »

By far the widest wheel I have ever seen come in the shop, great wheels if your looking for an extremely large riding surface

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3881 on: February 22, 2022, 04:28:05 PM »
Anyone else unable to get a reply back from Spitfire? I've sent 3 emails and 1 DM so far to them about a set of defective wheels and I haven't received any response yet.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 540
« Reply #3882 on: February 22, 2022, 05:51:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Untitled by

[close]

This!

Ourladyoftheflowers

• Rep: 97
« Reply #3883 on: February 28, 2022, 05:17:22 PM »
Anyone else riding radial fulls having issues with the bearings popping out? Been riding the 60s for a few weeks (they’re amazing) but usually a little bit into the sesh I gotta crank the bearings back in. At first I thought it was axel slip but then saw the bearing was coming out. Also they don’t slide in when I press em I’ve had to crank em with a tool. Can’t tell if it’s just a bum set or if anyone else is having this problem.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
« Reply #3884 on: February 28, 2022, 05:24:35 PM »
Anyone else riding radial fulls having issues with the bearings popping out? Been riding the 60s for a few weeks (they’re amazing) but usually a little bit into the sesh I gotta crank the bearings back in. At first I thought it was axel slip but then saw the bearing was coming out. Also they don’t slide in when I press em I’ve had to crank em with a tool. Can’t tell if it’s just a bum set or if anyone else is having this problem.

Did you get the ones above from this new drop or the Kader ones from last drop?  I’ve been skating the 57 mm Kader ones for like six weeks and haven’t had any issues. 

Ourladyoftheflowers

• Rep: 97
« Reply #3885 on: February 28, 2022, 05:30:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Did you get the ones above from this new drop or the Kader ones from last drop?  I’ve been skating the 57 mm Kader ones for like six weeks and haven’t had any issues.

The kader ones, bought em in the winter and had em on ice. Figure they’re prob just a defective set but wanted to check in here before emailing em

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #3886 on: February 28, 2022, 11:48:14 PM »
I've got a question for anyone who has skated F4 97d (especially Conical Fulls).

Did you guys have problems with powersliding easily? I came over from mainly skating really hard 103a Bones STF which are really slick, so obviously it was a shock... but I'm really surprised by how sticky these wheels are.

Are all F4's like this, or is it just a wide 97d thing? If I get 99d will I have a similar slide? How about 101d?

I also talked about it here: https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=82118.msg3747972#msg3747972
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #3887 on: March 01, 2022, 06:29:18 AM »
I've got a question for anyone who has skated F4 97d (especially Conical Fulls).

Did you guys have problems with powersliding easily? I came over from mainly skating really hard 103a Bones STF which are really slick, so obviously it was a shock... but I'm really surprised by how sticky these wheels are.

Are all F4's like this, or is it just a wide 97d thing? If I get 99d will I have a similar slide? How about 101d?

I also talked about it here: https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=82118.msg3747972#msg3747972

This has been discussed at length so maybe do a search in the thread. The 97A are definitely too sticky for me when it's warm, but they are nice during the winter months. I also really like them in dusty indoor parks or on wooden miniramps. 99A is my sweetspot, good slide but enough grip to skate with confidence.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #3888 on: March 01, 2022, 06:57:46 AM »

Oddly enough, the 97 conical fulls I have are fairly grippy whereas the 97a classics slide great, both 54 and 56mm. When I skate the 99a, they all slide consistently well for me.

Mariatorresflores

• Rep: -94
« Reply #3889 on: March 01, 2022, 07:31:02 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Oddly enough, the 97 conical fulls I have are fairly grippy whereas the 97a classics slide great, both 54 and 56mm. When I skate the 99a, they all slide consistently well for me.

probably because there's less ground contact with classics, less friction.

As far as 97's powersliding I'll point to Shane Heyl's description, "97's mean no Tokyo drifting".

logjammin

« Reply #3890 on: March 01, 2022, 10:36:51 AM »

I still have a brand new set of 97a 53mm's that have a defective wheel where the bearing won't go in but I was too lazy to email DLX.

FuzzGNU

« Reply #3891 on: March 01, 2022, 01:18:55 PM »

This has been discussed at length so maybe do a search in the thread. The 97A are definitely too sticky for me when it's warm, but they are nice during the winter months. I also really like them in dusty indoor parks or on wooden miniramps. 99A is my sweetspot, good slide but enough grip to skate with confidence.

Thanks for the reply. I'll keep that in mind. What shape do you ride?

I actually have been searching through threads. Wasn't really finding a solid consensus on 97d. I'm a longtime lurker, and I made an account just to ask again now that they've been out for a while.

I've seen people say "97d slide exactly like F4 99d" which is what worried me about giving 99d a try.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #3892 on: March 01, 2022, 01:33:27 PM »
I just retired some 97a f4 classics. Very nice for skating on shitty ground, and nose/tail slides/blunts on most ledges, especially concrete, work very well. I do notice that on angle iron and rails I tend to have to push harder or wax the ledge more for slides though.

On concrete and asphalt 97s break into slides pretty much just as easily as 99s, and I actually prefer the slide when bombing hills because it feels more controlled and it helps slow you down more.

On smooth skatepark ground or chalky smooth ground, 97s feel a little gummier and grippier, almost like a cruiser wheel compared to its harder counterparts.

Great wheel, but I think 99s are still the perfect overall durometer for me and most people.

FuzzGNU

« Reply #3893 on: March 01, 2022, 02:33:15 PM »
I just retired some 97a f4 classics. Very nice for skating on shitty ground, and nose/tail slides/blunts on most ledges, especially concrete, work very well. I do notice that on angle iron and rails I tend to have to push harder or wax the ledge more for slides though.

On concrete and asphalt 97s break into slides pretty much just as easily as 99s, and I actually prefer the slide when bombing hills because it feels more controlled and it helps slow you down more.

On smooth skatepark ground or chalky smooth ground, 97s feel a little gummier and grippier, almost like a cruiser wheel compared to its harder counterparts.

Great wheel, but I think 99s are still the perfect overall durometer for me and most people.

Ah, so it seems the shape definitely has a lot to do with people saying whether their 97s can slide.

The analogy would be like how an eraser on a pencil glides across paper... but if you have one of those rectangle erasers and you push it along the broad side, it won't slide.

It seems like when it comes to sliding: Once the wheels are a soft enough, the surface area really starts to matter. Or rather, once the surface area is wide enough, the softness really matters.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #3894 on: March 01, 2022, 03:45:42 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Ah, so it seems the shape definitely has a lot to do with people saying whether their 97s can slide.

The analogy would be like how an eraser on a pencil glides across paper... but if you have one of those rectangle erasers and you push it along the broad side, it won't slide.

It seems like when it comes to sliding: Once the wheels are a soft enough, the surface area really starts to matter. Or rather, once the surface area is wide enough, the softness really matters.

It makes a difference to some degree, but I've had 56mm 97a conical fulls before and everything I said above about the feel and slide applies to the conical fulls too.

FuzzGNU

« Reply #3895 on: March 01, 2022, 05:18:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

It makes a difference to some degree, but I've had 56mm 97a conical fulls before and everything I said above about the feel and slide applies to the conical fulls too.

Crazy... We must be skating very different surfaces or something maybe?

I feel like I have to dig my heels and lean so far back to get even an okay power slide on most surfaces.

But again, I'm used to 101 and 103 wheels I guess.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3896 on: March 03, 2022, 05:52:50 AM »

Is it just one wheel or all of them?

I would have to look back over past posts, maybe in the wheels thread, but I had a conversation about this issue before, which has happened with other brand wheels.

If the bearing seat is a bit wide, or the bearing itself a bit too narrow, the bearings are more likely to move on tricks where the wheels have pressure on an angle, like smith grinds used to always make my back heel wheel have problems where the bearing would move and the wheel would stop rolling completely.

I would just put the board on the side, wheel facing me and push down on it to re seat the bearing on the inside and it was fine until the next time I did something that made it move.

Other people I know had to do this after each run, the push down and then the stand on the wheel on the ground and pull up on the one in the air to reseat both bearings.  This gets old very quickly and pretty much made me not want to skate those wheels again, but when I changed bearings to another set, it stopped the problem, which was weird.

So maybe try a different set of bearings and see, otherwise go back to the shop you got them from and have them check them out.  If it was an online purchase, take a pic or two and send an explanation to them and see.

I still have a brand new set of 97a 53mm's that have a defective wheel where the bearing won't go in but I was too lazy to email DLX.

I actually had something similar just recently.  The bearing seat is crooked so the bearing does not fit into the wheel, which is definitely a warranty issue.

The shop you bought them from should be able to take care of that for you as well.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3897 on: March 03, 2022, 06:24:46 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Is it just one wheel or all of them?

I would have to look back over past posts, maybe in the wheels thread, but I had a conversation about this issue before, which has happened with other brand wheels.

If the bearing seat is a bit wide, or the bearing itself a bit too narrow, the bearings are more likely to move on tricks where the wheels have pressure on an angle, like smith grinds used to always make my back heel wheel have problems where the bearing would move and the wheel would stop rolling completely.

I would just put the board on the side, wheel facing me and push down on it to re seat the bearing on the inside and it was fine until the next time I did something that made it move.

Other people I know had to do this after each run, the push down and then the stand on the wheel on the ground and pull up on the one in the air to reseat both bearings.  This gets old very quickly and pretty much made me not want to skate those wheels again, but when I changed bearings to another set, it stopped the problem, which was weird.

So maybe try a different set of bearings and see, otherwise go back to the shop you got them from and have them check them out.  If it was an online purchase, take a pic or two and send an explanation to them and see.

Expand Quote

[close]

I actually had something similar just recently.  The bearing seat is crooked so the bearing does not fit into the wheel, which is definitely a warranty issue.

The shop you bought them from should be able to take care of that for you as well.

Having kind of the same problem with some 58mm OG classics. The bearings in my front heel-side wheel keep coming unseated. Initially I thought it was axle slip, but I measured my protruding axles and they are bang-on even.

I tried rotating the wheels but no luck. Going to swap the bearings and see if that does it. Bummed either way because these are pretty new wheels.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #3898 on: March 03, 2022, 07:04:09 AM »

Having kind of the same problem with some 58mm OG classics. The bearings in my front heel-side wheel keep coming unseated. Initially I thought it was axle slip, but I measured my protruding axles and they are bang-on even.

I tried rotating the wheels but no luck. Going to swap the bearings and see if that does it. Bummed either way because these are pretty new wheels.

So just the one specific wheel, or it is happening to one wheel in the front heel position, regardless of which wheel in the set you have on there?

Specific wheel = definitely something funny.

Any wheel in that position = what trick or movement might be causing it?

Either way it is a pain, but I know as silly as it sounds, some roughed up around the outside ring / kind of grubby looking older bearings actually stayed put in my wheels with issues, more so than brand new well lubed bearings (around the wheel bearing seat too to get the bearings in more easily) but at the end of the day, these things are made to fit perfectly so if a bearing is a little smaller, or a wheel bearing seat is a little bigger, things are not going to fit as intended.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3899 on: March 03, 2022, 07:10:02 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

So just the one specific wheel, or it is happening to one wheel in the front heel position, regardless of which wheel in the set you have on there?

Specific wheel = definitely something funny.

Any wheel in that position = what trick or movement might be causing it?

Either way it is a pain, but I know as silly as it sounds, some roughed up around the outside ring / kind of grubby looking older bearings actually stayed put in my wheels with issues, more so than brand new well lubed bearings (around the wheel bearing seat too to get the bearings in more easily) but at the end of the day, these things are made to fit perfectly so if a bearing is a little smaller, or a wheel bearing seat is a little bigger, things are not going to fit as intended.

Same wheel in a different spot. Ashamed to say I went as far as thinking both axles slipped before I measured and realized it was the wheel. FWIW, I am running year old reds...just a bit surprised because I've never had any QC issues with F4s.