Key frames
8 (33.3%)
Hot juice/super juice
4 (16.7%)
Other
9 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: April 18, 2020, 07:42:56 PM

Author Topic: Cruising wheels  (Read 13085 times)

YungJugg

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 229
Re: Cruising wheels
« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2020, 06:30:42 PM »

Really bummed on the Rough Riders. Two slappies, two chunks came off. Maybe there just to soft to skate properly. However, it’s really fun to wally up curbs. I’m asking Powell for one replacement wheel, but having to just cruise is boring.

I’ve seen chunks, but chunks like that off only 2 slappys? Crazy. Gotta be a defect, hopefully they hook you up.

cucktard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 239
« Reply #61 on: July 04, 2020, 02:17:55 AM »
Expand Quote

Really bummed on the Rough Riders. Two slappies, two chunks came off. Maybe there just to soft to skate properly. However, it’s really fun to wally up curbs. I’m asking Powell for one replacement wheel, but having to just cruise is boring.

[close]

I’ve seen chunks, but chunks like that off only 2 slappys? Crazy. Gotta be a defect, hopefully they hook you up.

I had the exact same problem. Exact same issue, Chunking on slappies.

I did go through their warranty service, and they hooked me up. The Distro near me didn’t have roughriders, so I went with Ratbones.

Soft (not as dreamy as the roughriders) but much more durable. Perfect for slappies
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

sketchyrider

« Reply #62 on: July 04, 2020, 12:13:09 PM »
best cruising wheels ive had were ricta cloud 86a's. they were nice for ollies and flip tricks, and were pretty durable which seems to be a problem with a lot of cruiser wheels. down side was that they were a little bouncy and didn't slide.

seems like you either have to deal with the issues of "filmer wheels" or accept the rough ride of 99a wheels. i guess theres a reason theres nothing really between 90 and 99a.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2020, 05:40:26 AM »
Yeah wish keyframes weren’t so heavy at times. It’s the shape. Maybe the clouds have a more classic shape? Mini logo make 90a and 95a too

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 276
« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2020, 07:04:01 AM »
best cruising wheels ive had were ricta cloud 86a's. they were nice for ollies and flip tricks, and were pretty durable which seems to be a problem with a lot of cruiser wheels. down side was that they were a little bouncy and didn't slide.

seems like you either have to deal with the issues of "filmer wheels" or accept the rough ride of 99a wheels. i guess theres a reason theres nothing really between 90 and 99a.

I hv the 78a & 92a ricta clouds.. The 78a is great on those brick layered / pebbled stoned sidewalks which is common in most of the recreational parks here in my country.. The 92a are great as well.. For my old geriatric legs, those are perfect.

FROTHY

« Reply #65 on: July 05, 2020, 10:18:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I had the exact same problem. Exact same issue, Chunking on slappies.

I did go through their warranty service, and they hooked me up. The Distro near me didn’t have roughriders, so I went with Ratbones.

Soft (not as dreamy as the roughriders) but much more durable. Perfect for slappies

This exact thing happened to my 80hd chargers. I contacted dlx and they replaced them. I still haven't done any slappies with the replacements.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2020, 12:10:28 PM »
Follow up:

Sent email to Powell asking for 1 white wheel replacement. After a brief exchange and a picture sent they offered to send me a replacement wheel if they had white ones in house or an entire set in color. I offered to pay for shipping but I doubt they will take me up on it.

I was told that g slides can handle slappies much better. Since I was gonna buy a new set of Key Frames maybe I’ll just buy g slides and switch the rough riders out when I wanna do some slappies.

The rep said this is NOT a defect.

I prefer buying from Powell these days since OJs are made overseas—as far as I am aware.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 12:18:50 PM by GardenSkater77 »

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 833
« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2020, 02:55:44 PM »

There's lots of wheels out there between 90 and 99. Off the top of my head - Ricta clouds 92, Mini Logo 90 and 95a hybrid A cuts, Slime balls 97a, Creature/OJ 97a, OJ 92a crust formula, Nikired has 96, 97, and 98a wheels, SML 92a (Tom Knox formula), and those are just the ones I've owned so I know I'm leaving a bunch out. Really only Spitfire and Bones don't have something in that range but realistically speaking f4 99a "rides" softer than a 99 classic and so does the new bones 99a formula. Neither are what I'd consider a rough ride, and 99% of the time I'm skating old east coast/rust belt crust.

JB77

« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2020, 02:51:00 AM »
A 95a Spitfire Formula Four would be rad and I think they'd sell really well.  I'd buy a set for sure.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #69 on: July 07, 2020, 07:48:26 PM »
A 95a Spitfire Formula Four would be rad and I think they'd sell really well.  I'd buy a set for sure.

https://www.nikired.com/product-page/brooklyn-banks-series

These are the closest thing I've found to that. I think they're creative urethane, pretty high quality. The size and cut is basically identical to a conical full. They're a little weird at first but once you get the grooves off they feel pretty close to what I'd imagine a 95a f4 would, except not as slide-y but then again nothing is. I swear they use unicorn blood in the formula 4 or some shit.

They do yellow out a bit as they age but so does all good urethane. I've got 2 or 3 pairs of nikired wheels and they're all pretty good, especially for the price.

JB77

« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2020, 03:48:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Interesting, thanks.  Might check them out.
https://www.nikired.com/product-page/brooklyn-banks-series

These are the closest thing I've found to that. I think they're creative urethane, pretty high quality. The size and cut is basically identical to a conical full. They're a little weird at first but once you get the grooves off they feel pretty close to what I'd imagine a 95a f4 would, except not as slide-y but then again nothing is. I swear they use unicorn blood in the formula 4 or some shit.

They do yellow out a bit as they age but so does all good urethane. I've got 2 or 3 pairs of nikired wheels and they're all pretty good, especially for the price.

SatoriWheels

• Rep: 1
  • Positive Skateboarding Since 1998
    • Satori Wheels avatar image
« Reply #71 on: July 13, 2020, 11:54:10 AM »
Another one for Ricta clouds. I've tried a lot of cruiser wheels on different type of boards but I always end up with clouds on all of them. Theyre agile (unlike most cruiser wheels), fast (unlike most cruiser wheels in comparison) and last forever.

The only ones that has come close are the Satori P-town players, they were light as shit and really fast as well. I've seen some other wheels that look pretty much exactly the same so I'm guessing they were some generic wheels from some factory, I'd definitely try them out again if I come across them the next time I need to re-up.

Got some more sick cruisers on the way! Goo Balls too! Make sure you follow the new IG @SatoriWheels!!
- Satori Wheels

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #72 on: July 13, 2020, 04:48:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Another one for Ricta clouds. I've tried a lot of cruiser wheels on different type of boards but I always end up with clouds on all of them. Theyre agile (unlike most cruiser wheels), fast (unlike most cruiser wheels in comparison) and last forever.

The only ones that has come close are the Satori P-town players, they were light as shit and really fast as well. I've seen some other wheels that look pretty much exactly the same so I'm guessing they were some generic wheels from some factory, I'd definitely try them out again if I come across them the next time I need to re-up.

[close]

Got some more sick cruisers on the way! Goo Balls too! Make sure you follow the new IG @SatoriWheels!!

Really good news, I'm going to stock up on these.

FROTHY

« Reply #73 on: July 13, 2020, 05:46:38 PM »
Mini Logo AWOL 80A 55mm have been working for me. The design of the core makes me think they are budget Rough Riders. I rode them on good to shitty asphalt, as well as a concrete skatepark and that all felt fine. Happy with them so far.

YungJugg

• Rep: 229
« Reply #74 on: July 14, 2020, 01:45:31 PM »
Something I noticed about Keyframes is how they really plow pebbles out of the way, rather than ride over em. I’ve seen lil rocks shoot above head height while skating crustier spots. It’s not a merit nor demerit, just an observation. Must be something with their rebound. I’ve had multiple pairs and love the wheel, especially once broken in.

Makes it not the friendliest dog walker wheel, however.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2020, 08:50:40 PM »
Follow up:

Sent email to Powell asking for 1 white wheel replacement. After a brief exchange and a picture sent they offered to send me a replacement wheel if they had white ones in house or an entire set in color. I offered to pay for shipping but I doubt they will take me up on it.

I was told that g slides can handle slappies much better. Since I was gonna buy a new set of Key Frames maybe I’ll just buy g slides and switch the rough riders out when I wanna do some slappies.

The rep said this is NOT a defect.

I prefer buying from Powell these days since OJs are made overseas—as far as I am aware.

Big shout out to Powell for sending a full replacement set. Not a fan of color wheels but this is a nice red color.

FUBAR

• Rep: 240
« Reply #76 on: July 17, 2020, 10:31:14 AM »
Count me in as another dude that had rough riders chunk to shit. 
Love the 52mm Keyframes on my 8.5
Also have two sets of SML coffee cruisers and love them too. One set is about nine months old though and is beginning to chunk, but very slightly. 

weedgod94

• Rep: 0
« Reply #77 on: July 17, 2020, 12:35:33 PM »
soft powell wheels chunking is definitely not a defect, thats just what they do, at least the 75a ssf. they also crack. but they feel good.

Hefe43

• Rep: 175
« Reply #78 on: July 18, 2020, 07:46:11 AM »
Same shit happened to me with the rough riders. Split from a powerslide I think. I didn’t notice for months unless it happened the last time I rode the board. All I did was slam hard as shit in a big pothole

The classic shaped ATFs are solid. I have a set of 60s that I’ve slapped with. They’re like 53s now and still feel great.

My lady bought two sets of the acid jelly shots and I may have to switch. Those or the keyframes. Everyone talks so positive of keyframes It’s hard to decide

I love ATFs and I’d hate to find a new favorite cruiser wheel. My OCD would kick in and I’d have to replace every set of  ATFs that I have.

Skateboarding OCD is the best!
Tyshawn seems like the kind of guy to hate everyone at least a little bit

This Thing Of Ours

Tweekyn

• Rep: 9
« Reply #79 on: July 29, 2020, 08:04:41 AM »
Ive been eyeing ricta clouds 53mm 78a and 86a wheels for my cruiser. I have mini super juice which are 55mm and ride really well on my cruiser. My question is does anybody have experience with a smaller/softer wheel like a 53mm 78a ricta cloud? Are they too small to ride over rough surfaces? How do the 78a and 86a differ? I tried researching as much as I could before posting this and couldn’t find a huge amount of info so I figured I would just ask.

Jory4

• Rep: 106
« Reply #80 on: July 29, 2020, 10:40:06 AM »
I think the 78a clouds roll real
Well (I’ve got some 52s) probably not quite as good as the mini super juice but they are a proper cruiser rough ground feel.
They do Feel a bit “bouncy” compared to a normal wheel and def make a board feel like different to skate but not terrible. They don’t slide but you can nose and tail slide stuff with them on ( even on thunders if you’re careful how you lock in )

sketchyrider

« Reply #81 on: July 29, 2020, 10:57:45 AM »
i had the 86a in 55mm i believe, felt harder than any 78a wheel i ever owned but still had a great roll to them.

both are a good option, neither wants to slide.

i would say go for 78a if you are really rolling over crust and 86a if you would rather have a little durability.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 552
« Reply #82 on: July 29, 2020, 02:33:26 PM »
OJ is supposed to be coming out with a 95a. That might make a fun crusty parking lot slappy wheel.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #83 on: July 30, 2020, 12:18:45 AM »
OJ is supposed to be coming out with a 95a. That might make a fun crusty parking lot slappy wheel.

yeah..i saw Ron Whaley mentioned it in the NHS youtube video.. can't wait to try them..

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #84 on: July 30, 2020, 12:22:01 AM »
Ive been eyeing ricta clouds 53mm 78a and 86a wheels for my cruiser. I have mini super juice which are 55mm and ride really well on my cruiser. My question is does anybody have experience with a smaller/softer wheel like a 53mm 78a ricta cloud? Are they too small to ride over rough surfaces? How do the 78a and 86a differ? I tried researching as much as I could before posting this and couldn’t find a huge amount of info so I figured I would just ask.

i hv the 54mm 78a clouds and the 92a clouds.. 78a definitely for very crusty surfaces..and good for my 41yr old knees..

Zark

• Rep: 6
« Reply #85 on: July 30, 2020, 12:31:14 AM »

On the left is my cruiser, I'm using the best I've had yet, 75a 66mm Powell Snakes, no riser on 169 Indy's. I've tried 63mm? 78a Slime Balls and 60mm OJ super-juice and these are by far the most smooth and durable. I can power-slide these on crusty New England pavement, not sure how they're this durable at 75a. Of course they don't slide like a FF spitfire, and you need some speed, but they don't chunk either. They have some impact dents and nicks, I'm currently riding with a deep embedded rock, but they ride over everything and have a reliable smooth feel.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #86 on: July 30, 2020, 12:53:41 AM »

On the left is my cruiser, I'm using the best I've had yet, 75a 66mm Powell Snakes, no riser on 169 Indy's. I've tried 63mm? 78a Slime Balls and 60mm OJ super-juice and these are by far the most smooth and durable. I can power-slide these on crusty New England pavement, not sure how they're this durable at 75a. Of course they don't slide like a FF spitfire, and you need some speed, but they don't chunk either. They have some impact dents and nicks, I'm currently riding with a deep embedded rock, but they ride over everything and have a reliable smooth feel.

u got some pretty nice setup..

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 239
« Reply #87 on: July 30, 2020, 03:27:54 AM »

Sneks are designed for professional downhilling and sliding. They are currently kind of the gold standard downhill wheel
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #88 on: July 30, 2020, 03:56:46 AM »
Something I noticed about Keyframes is how they really plow pebbles out of the way, rather than ride over em. I’ve seen lil rocks shoot above head height while skating crustier spots. It’s not a merit nor demerit, just an observation. Must be something with their rebound. I’ve had multiple pairs and love the wheel, especially once broken in.

Makes it not the friendliest dog walker wheel, however.

I think this is a function of shape more than anything. I get it a lot with NFG/Loophole V cuts which are like 103a, so they just plow everything out of the way rather than going over it. It's actually kind of cool albeit slightly terrifying to see shit shooting out from under your wheels while you're bombing a hill.

JB77

« Reply #89 on: August 17, 2020, 01:20:04 PM »
85a Rat Bones...