Author Topic: Loose Fit Pants  (Read 236085 times)

Crap

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 77
Re: Loose Fit Pants
« Reply #2580 on: July 20, 2023, 05:28:22 AM »

i think the term for why the difference in color in the same pair of pants is sanforized. i’m not positive about this, but i think the black denim is sanforized (pre shrunk), while the blue denim is not.

You're right that sanforization is when they pre-shrink the denim, but any jeans from Polar or any other skate brand are going to be sanforized. Unsanforized jeans will shrink significantly their first time through the wash - often a full size. The only unsanforized jeans I can think of that aren't from a fancy Raw Denim Guy brand are the Levi's Shrink-To-Fits. A lot of people will buy them a little too big, then soak them in water and sit around in soaking wet jeans for several hours while they shrink and form to their body. Which wouldn't be necessary if you wanted a loose fit.

Sanforized (pre-shrunk) denim will still shrink in the wash, but the sanforization process siginificantly reduces the shrinkage. While both are sanforized, the difference in fit between the blue and black Polar jeans is probably due to some differences in the fabric or dying process. One might be a heavier/lighter weight fabric than the other, one fabric is maybe woven tighter than the other (causing it to stretch out less with wear), or some part of the factory dying/washing process caused one to shrink more than the other.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 633
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #2581 on: July 20, 2023, 05:58:46 AM »
Have in mind that all Polar pants aren't made in the same factory (sometimes Poland, sometimes Portugal)
Hence some variety in fit / sizing

Even if you give the same dims to those factories they won't make the same pant

gearcrisis

« Reply #2582 on: July 20, 2023, 09:29:29 AM »
whats up with the cromer pant? size chart says a 30 measures to be a 32… but does it really? why does vanity sizing even exist lol

ChipSuey

• Rep: 25
« Reply #2583 on: July 20, 2023, 10:17:53 AM »
Just wanted to thank the good folks on this thread for pointing me towards Carhartt Force ripstop pants and B159's, they're the best.

If you're in the market for cheaper Carhartt, they have a site where they sell worn and irregular clothes, I picked up two pairs of pants for like 50 bucks, was well worth it.

https://reworked.carhartt.com/

Crap

• Rep: 77
« Reply #2584 on: July 20, 2023, 10:22:40 AM »
whats up with the cromer pant? size chart says a 30 measures to be a 32… but does it really? why does vanity sizing even exist lol

For vanity. But in my experience, the waist is actually bit cinched on Cromers due to the pleats and they are not vanity sized in the waist at all. Mine are size 38, but the half waist measurement is 18.25" (or 36.5" around). Perfect for me - I'm probably actually a 36, but I go up to 38 in a lot of pants for room in the thighs/crotch/butt, which the Cromers have quite a bit of.

They're a little bit parachute shaped - cinched in at the waist, pretty roomy in the top half, but a noticeable taper below the knee. The pleats are small enough that you can't see them under an untucked shirt.

gearcrisis

« Reply #2585 on: July 20, 2023, 01:55:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

For vanity. But in my experience, the waist is actually bit cinched on Cromers due to the pleats and they are not vanity sized in the waist at all. Mine are size 38, but the half waist measurement is 18.25" (or 36.5" around). Perfect for me - I'm probably actually a 36, but I go up to 38 in a lot of pants for room in the thighs/crotch/butt, which the Cromers have quite a bit of.

They're a little bit parachute shaped - cinched in at the waist, pretty roomy in the top half, but a noticeable taper below the knee. The pleats are small enough that you can't see them under an untucked shirt.

thanks for this info, i just found some on depop in the waist size id order and they look next to perfect on the seller. not really familiar with pleats but for 50 bucks its worth a shot.

NotSureWhatImDoingHere

• Rep: -8
« Reply #2586 on: July 21, 2023, 07:07:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Just wanted to say I’ve been wearing the Volcom x Louie Lopez Cords lately and I highly recommend them. I’d size down 1-2”. Very comfortable, soft but still protective with just the right amount of stretch (98% cotton/2% elastane) and the dark green looks great. A little baggy but not massive. Not sure if they’re still available online or at shops since he went to Noah. Hopefully there’s still some stock out there because I’d like to get a backup pair. I lucked out finding these at a Goodwill for $6 in great pre owned condition.
[close]
saw them on sale here for $50 earlier today
https://www.unionskates.com/shop/p/volcom-louie-lopez-tapered-corduroy-pants-cedar-green
[close]

Nice! Thanks for the lead. Unfortunately they don’t have my size, currently wearing a 32” for these pants. They do have 28, 30 and 36 if any other Pals are interested.

They are now called the Modown Tapered Cord pant. They’re available in brown. Same exact pant just rebranded. Saw em at a shop and asked.

TheSickness

• Rep: 14
« Reply #2587 on: July 21, 2023, 08:36:58 AM »
Anybody try those Nike Kearny Cargos?

I just received my Kearny cargo pants in the mail, so I can't attest to their durability, but they fit on the baggy side, without any taper at the ankle.  They're bigger than what I would think of as loose, but they're not quite baggy...sort of perfectly in the middle to me.   Nike site has them on sale for $70 right now, so I ordered 2 pairs of pants - I think they might be discontinuing that model for a non-cargo option - (I could be wrong, I only briefly checked)
Hope this helps!

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1969
« Reply #2588 on: July 21, 2023, 08:43:23 AM »
Is it just me or are Volcom pants pretty loose in the waist? I got a pair of the Louie cords a size up that require a cranked belt, but I also have the loose tapered chino TTS that are kinda big on me.

Southernmost

• Rep: 122
« Reply #2589 on: July 21, 2023, 12:20:50 PM »
Is it just me or are Volcom pants pretty loose in the waist? I got a pair of the Louie cords a size up that require a cranked belt, but I also have the loose tapered chino TTS that are kinda big on me.

I sized down on my Louie Cords and they still fit slightly loose. I’m usually a 34 but got a 32. I did purchase them pre owned though. Great fit and feel overall. Really happy with them, I hope to pick up a 2nd pair.

thehogsniper

• Rep: 49
« Reply #2590 on: July 21, 2023, 05:00:29 PM »
Try washing them on high heat maybe? It worked on my polar 92's.

stooeylewis

• Rep: 0
« Reply #2591 on: July 23, 2023, 10:01:43 AM »
someone mentioned the j crew officer chino pant earlier. found a pair at good will 7$ brand new gave them a hem and theyre my favorite pants now

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2592 on: July 23, 2023, 11:49:43 AM »

On the jeans they are vanity sized at least an inch…..but I’m a grown man so I felt weird about buying a 28” waist…

linty

• Rep: 37
« Reply #2593 on: August 04, 2023, 12:19:53 AM »
Do Stan Ray pants run really really small? According to their website one should get a size 38 in Fat Pant to match the waist size of a pair of 33x32 Carhartt-wip single knee pants.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2594 on: August 09, 2023, 06:17:02 AM »
anyone ever get the Vans loose tapered pant? The pair in that Nick Michel collection look nice

https://www.vans.com/en-us/clothing-c00082/nick-michel-check-5-loose-tapered-denim-pants-pvn000c9rlkz

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 258
« Reply #2595 on: August 09, 2023, 07:16:36 AM »
Has anybody here with sewing skills ever put in a crotch gusset to make a pant looser?

If so, how did it go?
Any tips?
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2596 on: August 09, 2023, 09:32:37 AM »
anyone ever get the Vans loose tapered pant? The pair in that Nick Michel collection look nice

https://www.vans.com/en-us/clothing-c00082/nick-michel-check-5-loose-tapered-denim-pants-pvn000c9rlkz

I had a pair and they were looser in the thighs than expected, but surprisingly well made for a Vans product. Minimal branding so you could remove the small Vans tag if you cared. Quality was par with the Levi's Stay Loose Chinos.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2597 on: August 09, 2023, 10:06:22 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I had a pair and they were looser in the thighs than expected, but surprisingly well made for a Vans product. Minimal branding so you could remove the small Vans tag if you cared. Quality was par with the Levi's Stay Loose Chinos.

I used to have some Vans chinos and honestly really liked them. They're a lil slim for my taste these days but I'm also not trying to rock giant Big Boy clones, so whenever I see a nice loose taper I get excited.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2598 on: August 09, 2023, 10:16:35 AM »
Speaking of loose taper, anyone get Levi's 541 a size up? If so, how do they compare to 550s?

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 470
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2599 on: August 10, 2023, 04:08:49 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I sized down on my Louie Cords and they still fit slightly loose. I’m usually a 34 but got a 32. I did purchase them pre owned though. Great fit and feel overall. Really happy with them, I hope to pick up a 2nd pair.

On Volcom’s website there is a fit guide that will ask you what size pants you usually buy in other brands and it tells you what your Volcom size would be.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2600 on: August 10, 2023, 04:44:24 PM »
yes, they bigger than advertised ie. if you are a 34 normally buy a 32 IMO.  I got the billows.  I'd recommend as long as you are cool with running the stone......

I mean why wouldn't you?

thehogsniper

« Reply #2601 on: August 10, 2023, 05:01:34 PM »
Real question: how baggy is too baggy?

Luddite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 83
« Reply #2602 on: August 10, 2023, 05:06:32 PM »
Anyone have any intel on Greco's new "Hammer Action Pants"?

Crailslideyoface

• Rep: 42
« Reply #2603 on: August 10, 2023, 06:28:28 PM »

Not sure if they're the same as the Quasi/Vans ones, but if they are they fit great. A little loose, but not baggy
I wanna crap in a box just to mail it to you so your bitch ass can smell it

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2604 on: August 10, 2023, 10:35:55 PM »
Real question: how baggy is too baggy?

More than a handful…

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 216
  • Get bent
« Reply #2605 on: August 11, 2023, 03:34:05 AM »
Has anybody here with sewing skills ever put in a crotch gusset to make a pant looser?

If so, how did it go?
Any tips?

It was hard, and the fit was off afterwards, my only tip is don’t mess with a gusset, draft a new pattern using the existing pants and add what you want in crotch or thigh
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2606 on: August 11, 2023, 07:39:28 AM »
Expand Quote

If so, how did it go?
Any tips?
[close]

It was hard, and the fit was off afterwards, my only tip is don’t mess with a gusset, draft a new pattern using the existing pants and add what you want in crotch or thigh
funnily enough, i had a crotch blowout while freeballing last night
shooting pool and drinks with friends in gap loose fit cords
a lot of bending down and squatting is an understatement
didnt even realize it until a lady friend grabbed my buttcheek…
it felt drafty earlier in the night…when exactly? couldnt tell

idk if shame is the right word, but im tired of failing pants
fucking late stage capitalism
what the fuck happened to things lasting more than a year?

probably a good thing that i drink gin and dont fear mixing
because i definitely couldnt do that sober
i would have ditched an otherwise great night
but imagine my face after a night of debauchery
hearing i had a giant tear in my pants and not knowing until 5am?

no gusset? cant trust it
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

thehogsniper

« Reply #2607 on: August 11, 2023, 09:50:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

If so, how did it go?
Any tips?
[close]

[close]

no gusset? cant trust it
M8 you bought gap pants and then complain because they were shit quality. Buy better quality stuff to begin with and you won't have that issue.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #2608 on: August 12, 2023, 02:34:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

If so, how did it go?
Any tips?
[close]

[close]

no gusset? cant trust it
[close]
M8 you bought gap pants and then complain because they were shit quality. Buy better quality stuff to begin with and you won't have that issue.
i get your point but i literally killed 90% of my pants in the crotch
from high end designers to mall brand garbage
literally had a pair of american eagle jeans lasted 3 years daily use
that was a decade ago

first experience with gap and it left a gap in my pants

while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

thehogsniper

« Reply #2609 on: August 12, 2023, 03:31:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

If so, how did it go?
Any tips?
[close]

[close]

no gusset? cant trust it
[close]
[close]
i get your point but i literally killed 90% of my pants in the crotch
from high end designers to mall brand garbage
literally had a pair of american eagle jeans lasted 3 years daily use
that was a decade ago

first experience with gap and it left a gap in my pants
Usually I find this happens if you wear the pants baggier, or the crotch doesn't fit perfectly. Unless they're reenforced down there, it tends to split after a while. Maybe try Carhartt or some other work brand