Author Topic: Tyshawn Thrasher Cover  (Read 24117 times)

lurker_and_poster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 27
Re: Tyshawn Thrasher Cover
« Reply #90 on: October 07, 2022, 12:38:00 AM »
Wow - Thrasher has really a run for great covers the last 2 years.
Congratulation to Atiba - really one of his best photos. This one Nobody will ever forget. Its forever in
Skateboardings history books.
Tyshawn is building up the legacy - this is Water Tower /  the push, level of iconic skating/ Spot choice.

The yellow marks make that trick that heavy - friend of mine tried to ollie an european underground track
20 years ago. popping of that knobs or even landing on them is impossible.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 115
« Reply #91 on: October 07, 2022, 12:47:27 AM »
so is that the same station as in the Mandible Claw vid ? is this going to become a spot? where people come to try and get NBDS?? shit looks terrifying, especially in video.

I honestly don't know what I would choose between this and the china banks ollie for trick of the year....really really curious to see the video footage of this. holy shit man. also wonder if people will try to do the same in other cities now.....

yeayeaman

• Rep: 7
« Reply #92 on: October 07, 2022, 12:53:55 AM »
so is that the same station as in the Mandible Claw vid ? is this going to become a spot? where people come to try and get NBDS?? shit looks terrifying, especially in video.

I honestly don't know what I would choose between this and the china banks ollie for trick of the year....really really curious to see the video footage of this. holy shit man. also wonder if people will try to do the same in other cities now.....

yep same station, 145 street, which is now ranking high on the list of skate tourism hot spots also serving as public transport hub

OwlGreen

• Rep: -123
« Reply #93 on: October 07, 2022, 01:34:49 AM »
Is there a reason TJ went with the toe-side kickflip over the heel-side kickflip? Does the layout not allow the latter, or was it just his preference? Toe-side is, of course, harder, but heel-side is more aesthetically pleasing. Maybe he's got a bs flip in the works.
I like the idea of this trick a lot more than the photo. I wonder if there was a way to get the blind bumps in the shot.
Trick of the year, I think Tfunk still has it.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
« Reply #94 on: October 07, 2022, 01:45:51 AM »

well if china banks is in the consideration for trick of the year this year, then you have to wait for when the footage of this drops for it to be trick of that year

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 776
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #95 on: October 07, 2022, 02:02:35 AM »
insane but China banks still tops it.

the tracks have been ollied (twice), and 180'd.
We knew it was possible, it'd just be insane.

Clearing the big bench was truly on some nbd shit. That spot has been skated for so long, by some of the best to do it, who were all trying to put their stamp on the spot, and noone ever even tried to ollie it. It's on another level.

not even sure why I typed this though^, don't really care about soty or a competition between two fucking tricks &
this kickflip is insane.

Arto!Arto!WakeUp!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 185
« Reply #96 on: October 07, 2022, 03:02:16 AM »
I don't get how anyone can hate on this guy, this is so, so fucked up.

i honestly think with 'blessed' being one of the only major vids of recent years that you can't watch for free, i think a lot of people haven't seen that part and just bitch about him anyway.

the switch tre in paris is burned in my brain maybe more than any clip i've seen in my adult years.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
« Reply #97 on: October 07, 2022, 03:52:55 AM »
Is there a reason TJ went with the toe-side kickflip over the heel-side kickflip? Does the layout not allow the latter, or was it just his preference? Toe-side is, of course, harder, but heel-side is more aesthetically pleasing. Maybe he's got a bs flip in the works.
I like the idea of this trick a lot more than the photo. I wonder if there was a way to get the blind bumps in the shot.
Trick of the year, I think Tfunk still has it.
I think if you're at the level of jumping from station platform to station platform approaching heel or toe side doesn't really matter anymore

231st Street

• Rep: -207
« Reply #98 on: October 07, 2022, 05:01:16 AM »
The real question for those of us that don't feel the need to compare this to a west coast transition spot-- did he actually clear the bumpy yellow strip on both sides as well?   Insane.

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -458
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #99 on: October 07, 2022, 05:02:11 AM »
I’ll wait for footage on this. I was inclined to say nothing would top China banks until I saw the footage and tfunk popped the Ollie when he was already over the start of the ledge. I could see there being some similar minor thing here like he popped out the blind strips and put a sign in place or something. At the end of the these are both two of the most fucked things ever done on a board.

If he really did 2 tricks over the tracks I could almost see a Varial flip more than a bs flip. He has a mean, well popped one.

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -388
« Reply #100 on: October 07, 2022, 05:13:02 AM »
The China Banks have been skated infinity more and nobody has done what T Funk did. Because the spot is iconic I think it should win TOTY but whatever. I absolutely think Tyshawn can switch ollie the the subway gap.

bohemian

• Rep: -319
« Reply #101 on: October 07, 2022, 05:27:01 AM »

name one non big pop trick he did

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
« Reply #102 on: October 07, 2022, 05:45:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

nollie back noseblunt pyramid ledges

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1380
« Reply #103 on: October 07, 2022, 05:49:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Switch bs 270 lipslide on the Rockaway rail (think that's what it's called).

But further to @Arto!Arto!WakeUp! 's point - maybe a lot of people really haven't watched Blessed. If that's the case, I highly recommend it.

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -458
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #104 on: October 07, 2022, 06:01:11 AM »
I think people hate on him because he’s a young, extremely talented skater who came up in the era when that meant coming onto the scene and solidifying your spot with a barrage of full length parts. He’s had what, 1-2? Away days (I think) and Blessed? Then a ton of footage spread amongst various coolguy montages which are easy to forget because of obese william’s pedophilic camera tendencies and the primadonna attitudes of a handful of the characters in those montages.

Compare him to someone like foy or tiago who really blew up around the same 20teen years and count the number of full parts.

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

QixHexagon

• Rep: 29
« Reply #105 on: October 07, 2022, 06:27:47 AM »

Never been to subway or NYC at all, are those yellow parts skateable? If not, the gap is even bigger.

straight fucking edge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -169
« Reply #106 on: October 07, 2022, 06:37:09 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Never been to subway or NYC at all, are those yellow parts skateable? If not, the gap is even bigger.

you've never been in a crosswalk that has hose? also just by looking at them you can't tell? they are 1/2" tall bumps
i don't want to link to the channel because is promotes athiesm.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #107 on: October 07, 2022, 06:40:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

But further to @Arto!Arto!WakeUp! 's point - maybe a lot of people really haven't watched Blessed. If that's the case, I highly recommend it.

That switch 270 lip is insane and so casually placed in that part.  And I love when skaters have a specialty and tyshawns is popping high and/or going the distance and i fuckin love it. He puts it to a well diversified use

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
« Reply #108 on: October 07, 2022, 06:47:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

That switch 270 lip is insane and so casually placed in that part.  And I love when skaters have a specialty and tyshawns is popping high and/or going the distance and i fuckin love it. He puts it to a well diversified use

It's also funny because there are plenty of other skaters where that is their specialty and people eat it up. If Tyshawn was a Cali dude with a flannel and Dickies this would never be a debate.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #109 on: October 07, 2022, 06:53:46 AM »
Where did they hide the bin?

Allez_Jambon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
« Reply #110 on: October 07, 2022, 07:03:19 AM »
Does the train not run at those hours in the morning? Like, how many tries does he have before security or how many tries in between arrivals does Atiba have to set up again? Doesn't seem like a casual mission by any means. Already been said but, amazing trick and photo. Truly one of the greats.

I had no idea Blessed wasn't really available to watch. Found it on VK. Time to revisit it.

https://vk.com/wall-141582456_8608

So there's 2 rumored parts to round out the year? I haven't heard about that until this thread. I hope the brand image and direction takes off once he's ready to drop it because for now, sure, this private board run gathers attention, but doesn't really tease me in the way something like Limosine or whatever would have before the official release. I'd like to see interesting graphics with the logo tiny if there at all. I know it's just a placeholder more or less, but for now, it reminds me of some college graphic design project. I'm a fan and have high hopes for whatever project this is.

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #111 on: October 07, 2022, 07:13:11 AM »
This is a fucking awe inspiring instant all-timer. I get goosebumps every time I look at the pic.

Expand Quote

[close]

I'm almost hoping he used a sign or something similar to make sure he had a safe approach. These things will 100% make you fly off your board if you roll onto them with any weight on your board. I'd guess even Tyshawn needs to apply pressure to the ground to pop his Tricks, so he either used a sign or cleared the whole damn thing.

The "Tyshawn only has pop" argument gives off serious "black QBs can only run" vibes. Fuck off.

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #112 on: October 07, 2022, 07:21:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Damn this is fucked. So far we have an ollie, fs 180 and a kickflip over a subway gap. And hopefully the footage isn’t super zoomed in that you can’t appreciate how big this is.
[close]

Do you have a link to the 180?

Just noticed they used a sign for the blind bumps

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 362
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #113 on: October 07, 2022, 07:23:31 AM »
Omg he has too much pop? :'( That’s gotta be really hard for you to take, huh? So sorry.

So much of the criticism directed towards him over the years is thinly (sometimes not so thinly) veiled racism.

Never forget that this man front board slid a moving construction vehicle mid line in NYC traffic.

No one else has it like this.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 355
« Reply #114 on: October 07, 2022, 07:30:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Damn this is fucked. So far we have an ollie, fs 180 and a kickflip over a subway gap. And hopefully the footage isn’t super zoomed in that you can’t appreciate how big this is.
[close]

Do you have a link to the 180?
[close]

Just noticed they used a sign for the blind bumps

is it weird that i rank this 180 lowest on the pole for any of the tricks done here? the angle he does it at kinda take away from it for me. at an angle seems (hypothetically) easier than straight on, and it's not cheating per se, but it feels like it's not quite the same

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #115 on: October 07, 2022, 07:37:50 AM »

So much of the criticism directed towards him over the years is thinly (sometimes not so thinly) veiled racism.

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 807
« Reply #116 on: October 07, 2022, 07:59:59 AM »
Fuck that's a great photo. Washed the bad taste of Lacoste outa my mouth.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 331
« Reply #117 on: October 07, 2022, 08:00:54 AM »
DAMN
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 286
« Reply #118 on: October 07, 2022, 08:05:30 AM »
This is insane. Can't wait to see it in a month.
As a subscriber, I'm still waiting for the Ronnie Sandoval cover issue to be delivered.  ???

Royce Lopez

• Rep: 8
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #119 on: October 07, 2022, 08:06:17 AM »
In shorts