Author Topic: Tyshawn Thrasher Cover  (Read 24127 times)

s0sa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 9
Re: Tyshawn Thrasher Cover
« Reply #300 on: October 12, 2022, 07:49:54 PM »
jeremy wray water tower was 16 feet right?
tyshawn damn near coulda kickflipped it

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #301 on: October 12, 2022, 07:59:23 PM »
Wow 1 ft shy of the water tower. Fuckin outrageous

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #302 on: October 12, 2022, 08:08:25 PM »
It looked like jenkem measured it including the yellow bumps. So just gotta wait and see how he actually did it. I'd prob rather ollie further than try pop off a sign but Im not doing anything like this ever.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #303 on: October 12, 2022, 08:18:56 PM »

Add 2 ft on both sides and you get 12’ 10”.

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 77
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #304 on: October 12, 2022, 09:18:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Just put a 15' tape on my floor and it's ridiculous. Tyshawn could easily break the longest ollie record.

Then I looked up the long jump world record and it's almost twice that. What the hell

[close]
Lol yeah unfortunately whenever someone says oh so and so could be an Olympic athlete it's usually total horseshit.
i mean jumping a distance on foot & kickflipping it are pretty different, no? i imagine if there was a contest for length/height gaps in skateboarding, especially outside of just ollies, tyshawn would be a record holder of a lot of of tricks.

Add 2 ft on both sides and you get 12’ 10”.
so you’re saying the jenkem video is a conspiracy conducted by steve berra/scientology?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 11:12:56 PM by shouldn't »

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

ashthrower

• Rep: -11
« Reply #305 on: October 12, 2022, 09:28:55 PM »
its an especially great fuckin year for skateboarding

Jewel Runner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 101
« Reply #306 on: October 13, 2022, 03:28:20 AM »
Just put a 15' tape on my floor and it's ridiculous. Tyshawn could easily break the longest ollie record.

Then I looked up the long jump world record and it's almost twice that. What the hell

WTH indeed that dude flew

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 689
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #307 on: October 13, 2022, 06:33:23 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Lol yeah unfortunately whenever someone says oh so and so could be an Olympic athlete it's usually total horseshit.

its actaully not. its just skateboarding, typically people spend most of their time doing more than training going farther and faster on a gap. there is so much more to it than that, there would have to be stupid amounts of money on the line for countries to start training for this specific thing, and i think we have learned from other olympic sports like long jump, high jump etc. they have kinda hit their plateaus there is not mcuh they can do to make it more interesting so i think that is why skateboarding as a judged sport was suggested in this format to appease the peasants.

tl;dr if tyshawk just spent all his time training to do nothing but long distance ollies in a safe environment and neglected all other aspects of skateboarding, im sure he could hit some ridiculous distances too

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1084
« Reply #308 on: October 13, 2022, 06:46:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
tl;dr if tyshawk just spent all his time training to do nothing but long distance ollies in a safe environment and neglected all other aspects of skateboarding, im sure he could hit some ridiculous distances too

Exactly. I’m not sure he’s smashing Mike Powell’s 30 year old record, but clearly the man has been gifted with elite level athletic abilities.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #309 on: October 13, 2022, 07:05:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
[close]

Exactly. I’m not sure he’s smashing Mike Powell’s 30 year old record, but clearly the man has been gifted with elite level athletic abilities.
Not talking shit on tyshawn I'm a big fan but he doesn't have elite level athletic abilities lol. Compared to other skaters then fuck yeah but compared to an actual professional athlete you guys are dreamin

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #310 on: October 13, 2022, 08:24:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]
Not talking shit on tyshawn I'm a big fan but he doesn't have elite level athletic abilities lol. Compared to other skaters then fuck yeah but compared to an actual professional athlete you guys are dreamin

It’s truly something to imply that Tyshawn Jones isn’t an “actual professional athlete”.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 08:32:14 AM by manysnakes »

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #311 on: October 13, 2022, 08:36:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

It’s truly something to imply that Tyshawn Jones isn’t an “actual professional athlete”.
Oof yep you got me technically professional skateboarders are professional athletes. He's definatly on the same level as an Olympian or NBA, NFL, NHL player. Round of applause sir.

ungzilla

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 993
« Reply #312 on: October 13, 2022, 08:40:46 AM »
he's no prime physical specimen like phil kessel that's for sure

mandibleclaw

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 560
  • "RIP to myself one day." -jereme rogers
    • mandible claw avatar image
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #313 on: October 13, 2022, 08:41:03 AM »
The gap's definitely over 10 feet.

I have a certain degree of expertise on this topic.

Kickflip is mind blowing. It's the carve in that makes it hard.
We are a noble sport more noble than any other

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #314 on: October 13, 2022, 08:46:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
Oof yep you got me technically professional skateboarders are professional athletes. He's definatly on the same level as an Olympian or NBA, NFL, NHL player. Round of applause sir.

This is absolutely one of the stupidest fucking things I’ve read here in a long time.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #315 on: October 13, 2022, 08:50:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]
i don't really know anything about the nfl or nhl (or nba for that matter) but i don't know how you could watch tyshawn nollie flip two feet over a bump to bar and not think he could dunk, that his skills couldn't cross over to any other discipline, or that he doesn't have the dedication and athleticism to excel at any physical sport he wants to

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #316 on: October 13, 2022, 08:56:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]
i don't really know anything about the nfl or nhl (or nba for that matter) but i don't know how you could watch tyshawn nollie flip two feet over a bump to bar and not think he could dunk, that his skills couldn't cross over to any other discipline, or that he doesn't have the dedication and athleticism to excel at any physical sport he wants to
[close]

Got absolute zero problems with saying tyshawn is the most gifted athlete of all professional skateboarders but the fact he can dunk is not the same thing at all. If you ever get the chance go to a game or professional athletics competition and see they are superhumans.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1973
« Reply #317 on: October 13, 2022, 08:59:54 AM »

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 361
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #318 on: October 13, 2022, 09:02:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

This is absolutely one of the stupidest fucking things I’ve read here in a long time.

Truly. Special kind of dumb right here.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #319 on: October 13, 2022, 10:10:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]
Got absolute zero problems with saying tyshawn is the most gifted athlete of all professional skateboarders but the fact he can dunk is not the same thing at all. If you ever get the chance go to a game or professional athletics competition and see they are superhumans.

Its about as irrelevant as talking shit at an NBA game saying "YEA BUT THAT PLAYER COULD NEVER KICKFLIP A SUBWAY TUNNEL" 

Rockin Robbin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 428
« Reply #320 on: October 13, 2022, 10:13:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Repeat after me: I am sofa king we Todd did.
"Bake me a pie of love" - Steve Winwood

PincherBug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -102
« Reply #321 on: October 13, 2022, 10:59:44 AM »
Yeah he's right, Tyshawn never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

Is that you Junior?

HisNameIsntWarren

• Rep: 49
« Reply #322 on: October 13, 2022, 11:40:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Insane. 15 feet kickflip. So it's really not super far from the longest flatground ollie ever (16' 6")
[close]

Wow, when you put it that way... and you add on the fact that there isn't much run up, and he had to mentally deal with a sort of vague takeoff spot.

Anyone recall what Jeremy Wray's watertower ollie was?
[close]

16ft
https://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2020/01/19/revisiting-water-tower-ollie-jeremy-wray/

I have a hard time believing the longest ollie ever was a mere 6 inches longer than Jeremy’s ollie. Does anyone have a link for that record?

And not for nothing but Jeremy’s ollie is waaayyyy more fucked up than Tyshawn’s kickflip. I’d argue the gnarliest thing ever done. No random dudes are gonna go to that spot and 180 it and throw it in some homie video. Tyshawn is easily one of the greatest ever but it just puts into perspective how fucked Jeremy was for his time.

Welcome to the OC bitch! This is how it’s done in Orange County.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
« Reply #323 on: October 13, 2022, 12:22:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Insane. 15 feet kickflip. So it's really not super far from the longest flatground ollie ever (16' 6")
[close]

Wow, when you put it that way... and you add on the fact that there isn't much run up, and he had to mentally deal with a sort of vague takeoff spot.

[close]

16ft
https://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2020/01/19/revisiting-water-tower-ollie-jeremy-wray/
[close]

I have a hard time believing the longest ollie ever was a mere 6 inches longer than Jeremy’s ollie. Does anyone have a link for that record?

And not for nothing but Jeremy’s ollie is waaayyyy more fucked up than Tyshawn’s kickflip. I’d argue the gnarliest thing ever done. No random dudes are gonna go to that spot and 180 it and throw it in some homie video. Tyshawn is easily one of the greatest ever but it just puts into perspective how fucked Jeremy was for his time.

He says on 9-club that its a little over 16' and at the end of this clip, says he wanted to 180 or kickflip it

dannyprovolone

« Reply #324 on: October 13, 2022, 01:04:20 PM »
water tower gap looks way bigger imo. aruba done blessed us though. lookin forward to the footage.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #325 on: October 13, 2022, 02:03:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

16ft
[close]

I think it's just that nobody really bothers to get the worlds longest ollie record. Tyshawn could do it switch

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #326 on: October 13, 2022, 02:28:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

16ft
[close]

[close]

I think it's just that nobody really bothers to get the worlds longest ollie record. Tyshawn could do it switch

Yeah there’s certain weird criteria and proctors who usually have to be present for a “world record”. The official world record highest ollie is like 45”, but many people have pointed out that larger things have been ollied in videos before, but for whatever reason it doesn’t count. I think one of those barriers Tyshawn switch ollied is nearly that high.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 689
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #327 on: October 13, 2022, 02:45:40 PM »
i dont follow sports much but Wade was talking on the 9 club about how hockey players only play like 15-20 minutes of ice time per game max as a top player, and its done in shifts, and i think they play 2-3 games a week max.

Skateboarding as a job, a lot of time they are on a trip or something and they have to spend quite a bit of time just travelling and on their feet to get to spots, and there is no nice Team Bus to take them the short distance from the airport to the arena. then they have to go hard jumping down something for like hours absolutely killing themselves also possibly taking slams multiple times per day. you can say they can take breaks but sometimes it could be getting dark, getting kicked out, etc. so that actally might not always be the case even.

soccer is pretty hard its 2x 45 min shifts actually. theres not too mcuh contact either.

Tennis is pretty long some of those games are 3 hrs+ but theres no contact

Baseball there is a ton of breaks and standing around
Same with Football, you basically only play half the time in both those sports, but football definintely has worse injuries besides the pitchers

Sounds like in Basketball top players play 30 min per game and that would be in shifts. not really much contact in that either

track and field athletes mostly just train and practice for specific events i think, kind of like how boxers / fighters would. kind of different mindset.

seems to me like skateboarders have to go above and beyond most athletes for usually a lot less money

rukes

• Rep: 217
  • Yabba dabba doo
« Reply #328 on: October 13, 2022, 02:58:16 PM »
They have walking in the Olympics, that same walkin shit you do every single day, to go everywhere you got to go.

Think about that.
Is it true?  Or did you read it on the slap message board?

fried

• Rep: 52
« Reply #329 on: October 13, 2022, 03:09:44 PM »
i dont follow sports much but Wade was talking on the 9 club about how hockey players only play like 15-20 minutes of ice time per game max as a top player, and its done in shifts, and i think they play 2-3 games a week max.

I think that’s because Hockey is very fast paced and one of the most physical sports.

Similar to skateboarders they don’t get paid very well compared to other major sports.