Author Topic: Road trips  (Read 1280 times)

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • Gnar Kook
Road trips
« on: September 07, 2021, 01:55:20 PM »
Just took the fam for a road trip from St. L . to Boston.
Day 1 drove to Cleveland to stay the night. Woke up and went to the "a Christmas Story house/ museum. " We went before but missed some stuff, so made sure we paid more attention this time. Pretty awesome really. Drove to Cooperstown and ate pizza
Day 2 went to baseball Hall of Fame and took 3 hours to really see everything this time. Love that place and town.
Day 3 drove to Woburn, MA for hotel. Went to Salem to eat at the Witches Brew Cafe. Food took an hour and a half and then was terrible. Do not recommend.
Day 4 drove to Gloucester to check out all the boats and shit. Stumbled on to a boat race so watched that for a bit. Then went to the Crow's Nest to have a drink and ended up talking to the lady that runs it for 2 hours (see: The Perfect Storm movie for reference). Drove to Southie to peep some of Whitey Bulger old hood. Got pics at his old liquor store (bought some Jack Daniel's there) and went by where his house was. Peeped some other spots. Then went into downtown and checked out Fenway and Harvard Square etc etc.
Went back to Salem and checked out the witch graveyard museum thing. No one wanted to go to the museum but the graveyard was neat. Ate at Chili's
Day 5 drove back to Cleveland , took all day. Ate at PJ McIntyre Irish bar and grill, was good.
Day 6 got up at 7 and drove back to St. Louis . Was going 85 the whole time until western Illinois... 12 speed traps before Missouri.

I Ate healthier than usual so that was good. My son was only into the baseball Hall of Fame and nothing else, and let it be known while he never slept in the car. Wife randomly picked arguments with me during car rides . "Tell me something nice" (classic trap) led to one if them. You get the drift. So minus those things, it was pretty fun except some of the long drives

Anyone else road tripping?

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1077
Re: Road trips
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2021, 02:35:15 PM »
We (wife and 8 y/o boy & 12 y/o girl) drove from Trenton NJ to North Conway NH which we did in two days going up and one coming back so we didn’t have to pay for a hotel.

On the way we ate Pepe’s pizza in Danbury, CT which was terrific. Day one we stayed in Rowley, MA which is a relaxing little New England town.

Went to Crane Beach for two days and the weather was beautiful but the water was 60 F and the locals were coming out of the water pink. I had a bass swim by me cause the water is so calm they come right up to the shore.

Salem was cool but the graveyard was closed. Looked like a fun town to skate.

Really good ice cream all over Coastal MA.

New Hampshire was cool too. Took the kids to an adventure park on Cranmore mountain. If anyone has the chance to do Alpine Slide do it cause it’s hella fun.

The hotel we stayed at had a heated pool and the rooms were just renovated. I don’t play golf but there was a golf course on-site. If you are in North Conway I recommend staying. It’s pricey but trying to find a heated pool was tough.

https://www.whitemountainhotel.com/

Already looking forward to next summer vacation. Planning to take ferries all around the east coast from Long Island to Martha’s Vineyard hitting Block Island and Nantucket along the way.

Summer road trips are great. Would love to do a skateboard trip but the wife would miss me too much.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 02:42:39 PM by GardenSkater77 »

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2021, 02:36:55 PM »
Original plan included NYC and Long Island but all the Ida stuff was happening. Kinda bummed on that, had it planned all year

sometimeperhaps

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2021, 04:42:36 PM »
i’ve been living in a converted SUV with
my lady since august 1st. been all over new england skating hiking etc. don’t know how i’m gonna go back to regular life. skating a new park every time i skate has sharpened me considerably.

That’s awesome. What kind of vehicle and how long do you plan on doing it for?

I had dreams of doing it awhile back in a pickup truck with a cab on the back, but then I realized I probably can’t find one long enough for me to fit in

cky enthusiast

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2021, 07:04:46 PM »
we’re in a nissan rogue for an undetermined amount of time. really small but it forces us to be outside and it’s good on gas. i’m 6’1 but i sleep fetal position so it’s cozy

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2021, 01:39:26 AM »
Have you guys got big things that you drive past on road trips? You can sometimes go inside them and there’s activities and shit to do at them and souvenirs to buy almost always related to the object in question

We got shitloads of em, the big pineapple’s just up the road but there’s loads more, shit like the big banana, big bench, the big spider no shit I just Wikipedia’d it and there’s over 150

One day I’ll see em all and get stubby coolers and those collector spoons you get of places

Road trips are sick
listen to cosmic psychos

Miller92

• Rep: -282
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2021, 09:13:31 AM »
Just took the fam for a road trip from St. L . to Boston.
Day 1 drove to Cleveland to stay the night. Woke up and went to the "a Christmas Story house/ museum. " We went before but missed some stuff, so made sure we paid more attention this time. Pretty awesome really. Drove to Cooperstown and ate pizza
Day 2 went to baseball Hall of Fame and took 3 hours to really see everything this time. Love that place and town.
Day 3 drove to Woburn, MA for hotel. Went to Salem to eat at the Witches Brew Cafe. Food took an hour and a half and then was terrible. Do not recommend.
Day 4 drove to Gloucester to check out all the boats and shit. Stumbled on to a boat race so watched that for a bit. Then went to the Crow's Nest to have a drink and ended up talking to the lady that runs it for 2 hours (see: The Perfect Storm movie for reference). Drove to Southie to peep some of Whitey Bulger old hood. Got pics at his old liquor store (bought some Jack Daniel's there) and went by where his house was. Peeped some other spots. Then went into downtown and checked out Fenway and Harvard Square etc etc.
Went back to Salem and checked out the witch graveyard museum thing. No one wanted to go to the museum but the graveyard was neat. Ate at Chili's
Day 5 drove back to Cleveland , took all day. Ate at PJ McIntyre Irish bar and grill, was good.
Day 6 got up at 7 and drove back to St. Louis . Was going 85 the whole time until western Illinois... 12 speed traps before Missouri.

I Ate healthier than usual so that was good. My son was only into the baseball Hall of Fame and nothing else, and let it be known while he never slept in the car. Wife randomly picked arguments with me during car rides . "Tell me something nice" (classic trap) led to one if them. You get the drift. So minus those things, it was pretty fun except some of the long drives

Anyone else road tripping?

Hows the STL skate scene nowadays?

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1077
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2021, 09:49:33 AM »
Have you guys got big things that you drive past on road trips? You can sometimes go inside them and there’s activities and shit to do at them and souvenirs to buy almost always related to the object in question

We got shitloads of em, the big pineapple’s just up the road but there’s loads more, shit like the big banana, big bench, the big spider no shit I just Wikipedia’d it and there’s over 150

One day I’ll see em all and get stubby coolers and those collector spoons you get of places

Road trips are sick

NJs got a lot of roadside oddities.

I’ve been up in an elephant this summer in fact. This is right outside Atlantic City, NJ

Also Weird NJ and Weird US is a travel magazine for off the beaten path travel.

https://weirdnj.com/

In fact, Fred Gall skated some kind of WW2 Wind Tunnel.

https://weirdnj.com/stories/abandoned/abandoned-wind-tunnel/

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1412
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2021, 11:11:10 AM »
I take trips up to south central Oregon fairly often, camping out wherever, but the last real road trip I took was September-October 2020. Drove West to East and East to West. Pretty strange and frightening time socially and politically as the Trump/Biden election approached and Covid was still in that early round of ripping. I've got a 2007 Subaru Outback that I've driven x-country, back and forth, 3times and get it set up pretty comfortably for 1 person. This last time, in 2020, I set it it up so that I didn't have to go into any facilities while driving across- had a 5 gallon water jug with spigot, plenty of food, and a hand urinal to piss in, and just dropped the deuce in woods behind rest areas. Drive across West to East was pretty steady and easy, with only a snag on 80 Indiana when a car carrier caught fire about 100 yards ahead. Lots of trucks with maga flags flying in that fly over country, but that was really only in towns and not interstate. I've driven across, back and forth, probably 6x now, and this was by far the easiest driving. Covid really seemed to put a damper on driving and people were decent on the road. Did do anything interesting on the drive other than drive. Got across in a luxurious 6 days. The drive back west was the most intense trip I've had though. I left Massachusetts at 11am on Thursday and got home to CA Sunday afternoon. I'd planned to take another 6 days, trying to chill but also get home before election day because I was unsure and fearful of how that might go down, or rather, that other cities might end up looking like parts of Portland and didn't want to. get held up. It was rainy by the time I got into NY and PA. getting off the coasts can be infuriating because people drive totally unaware, but I'd pulled over to eat some sardines and looked at the NOAA website to see what was coming up and saw that an early blizzard was set to hit Wyoming Saturday night. I'd gotten hit with weather on 90 in SDakota a few years prior and didn't want to do it again, plus I will admit that I was totally freaked out about staying in a hotel in the flyover states during earlier covid times, so I had to jam through. Drove MA to an hour or so east of Cleveland Ohio day one, probably a good 600 miles.

When I saw that the storm was definitely starting to pick up I drove about 1050 miles from Ohio to Brady, Nebraska where I woke up to 15*F temperature. I'm fucking freezing. My water bottles are frozen. I've gotta take a shit somewhere and as I dropped one in the bushes my nuts started sucking up into my body from cold. Started driving and my car starting spewing coolant out the top of the radiator at a gas station around 8am. I refilled, dried the plastic top of the radiator, and slapped some gorilla tap on a crack that had just made itself apparent. Wyoming was crazy with 75+mph wind advisory for the high plains on i80. I've seen a fair amount of wrecks and have known 3 people who got fucked by black ice a long haul trucks on 80 in Wyoming, absolutely exhausted and terrified that some big rig is going to jackknife in the wind and take me out. So I'm drinking from a gallon jug of Maté and gripping the wheel like crazy, only able to drive like 50-55 mph, so that my Thule box doesn't blow off the roof- I'd already had strap it down with bungees and ratchet straps earlier. So it's like this already long ass road through WY is completely never ending in it's anxiety and misery. There's hardly a car on the road and it was mostly vacant of big rigs. Sage and Tumbleweeds are smashing up against the Subaru. Every time is like an electric shock. And still, this fucking storm is coming and I need to get through the mountains because sleeping in the car during an early mountain snow storm that ended up closing the interstate for more than a day wasn't going to be an option. Coming down out of the mountains into Salt Lake City is always a blessing, especially when it's still day light. I really don't like driving into that town at night as the roads and overpasses are strange and the stretch of interstate outside the city is long and brutal. The first stretch of desert. So after the first rest stop before the city, where it finally felt like I was out West again, I drove through SLC without stopping until I got to the Booneville Salt Flats on the Utah-Nevada line. Drove out onto the flats and did donuts and encountered highway patrol with long range lenses watching for something on the flats. I got myself out of there and drove to the edge of Reno to get some sleep. Ended up being about 22 hours of driving and 1200 miles or so. From Reno it was smooth sailing back to the Lost Coast. Departed Thursday, 11am EST arrived Sunday 5pm PST.

It always a strange thing, going from one place in the US, with a totally different social and cultural vibe than the places you end up driving through, and ending up in the other place, the destination, which also has different vibe.

I look forward to taking some shorter, West Coast trips in the van this summer. It will be nice to not be so cramped.
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2021, 11:17:50 AM »
spent a month on the road. Milwaukee down southwest, along the coast, and back from Sacramento. super nice, it was my first time out there. drove back from sacramento in 3 days. cool shit, road trips are dope

theloniousmonk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2021, 05:14:40 AM »
Can you post some pics of the Gloucester harbor if you have any? I’ve always wanted to go but never have been able to

cky enthusiast

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2021, 07:45:36 AM »
Can you post some pics of the Gloucester harbor if you have any? I’ve always wanted to go but never have been able to

i was skating in salem/lynch park last week, coulda mobbed up there for you. i’m in east NY right now tho

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2021, 09:40:25 AM »
I absolutely love road tripping.

Quebec is huge on its own, and I’ve driven through most of it, always a good time. Gaspésie is one of the most beautiful places on earth and I’d encourage everyone who can make it to drive around that area. Cote Nord is quite something also but with less people. Saguenay region is awesome as well.

Drove from Quebec to BC 4 times, once on my own. Beautiful in the summer, but a sketchy drive in the winter, especially solo. Driving through Ontario is super boring yet dangerous in the winter; almost 30 hours of pine trees and a slow driving limit (fuck the OPP who target people with Quebec plates also). The Great Lakes have this wierd micro-climate that brings a lot of extremes temperature-wise, so you have to be alert.  I wouldn’t do it solo again though, it’s a long fucking drive that takes a lot out of you, I was a zombie for about two days when I got to BC.

Also drove throughout most of BC a few times, had I not had a time constraint the last time, I would have liked to drive up to Yukon, maybe some day. Lots of wildlife in BC, you have to be alert when you drive. Bears, moose, elk, wolves, rams, billy goats, you name it, it’s all there. Good fishing and amazing views everywhere. I love BC. Northern BC is so beautiful.

The absolute sketchiest drive I did in BC was driving from Fernie to Revelstoke, meaning I had to go through Rogers Pass in the dead of night alone during a gnarly-ass snowstorm. I thought I’d have a heart attack and was by far the most stressful drive of my life… I was so happy to make it to my buddy’s place in Revy. They closed the pass just as I got there and I was so burnt from that drive that I passed out after 3-4 sips of beer. The powder skiing was well worth it though, I have never skiied such deep powder. Pass was closed for 4 days due to avalanche warnings, got a lot of quality skiing done in those 4 days. Fuck those logging vans that drive unbelievably fast while I’m at it, they scared the shit out of me everytime.

I did Quebec to Florida alone twice to go meet up with my parents who were on vacation. When I came back up the second time, I stopped in NYC for a couple days. I’d park my car in North Bergen, NJ and slept in my car. I was told that was a dumb idea because North Bergen has some sketchy spots, but I didn’t know any better. Didn’t have any problems though. I always have my Buck hunting knife on me when I sleep in my car anyways so that always makes me feel a little safer. Drove throughout New England after, what a beautiful place in the fall. I’d love to have more time to explore Vermont.

When I was in Australia in 2010 I drove from the Gold Coast to Melbourne, then Melbourne up to Cairns with a friend. Stopped at a ton of cool little towns on the way, by far the most awesome drive I’ve ever done. I still think about it almost everyday and wish I’d be back there at that exact time.
Stopped in Nimbin and heavily stocked up on weed and edibles, we were flying high the whole time. We had no time constraints so we took our time, all of this was over a 5-6 week period. Went to Fraser Island, booked a sailing trip in the Whitsundays… man that was fun. Hit up every skatepark we could, got some good hiking in, partied hard, slept at girls’ places… Oh to be 20 with no responsibilities again. That’s actually where I bought my first car, an old beat up white ‘92 Camry with almost 400k KM and one red door on it for 1500$.

Next summer I want to hit up the Maritime provinces and I’d like to see Newfoundland, hope I can make it happen.

All of these besides Australia were with my old ‘07 Hatchback Impreza. It was so much fun to drive (especially in the winter), but was a real piece of shit at the same time, there was always something expensive broken on it. I drove that car to its death in Feb ‘20 and sold it for parts. Got a Corolla for now, but I might get a hatchback Camry next year… I’m starting to feel the road tripping itch again.

Apologies for the wall of text, I’m 3 cups of coffee deep, it’s raining outside and I love road tripping. I always feel nostalgic when I talk about it, and I get carried away when the subject comes along. The road has always been good to me.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2021, 09:52:25 AM »
My dopest road trip:

Day 1: Dundee to Thurso
Day 2: Thurso to Orkney, spend the day there and in the evening take the Shetland boat
Day 3: Explore Shetland, sleep in Baltasound, Unst
Day 4: Back to Orkney, sleep in St Margareth‘s Hope
Day 5: Back to Mainland, drive to Ullapool, take Lewis boat, sleep in Aird Uig
Day 6: Drive down to Barra via North Uist, Benbecula, South Uist and Eriskay
Day 7: Take the ferry in Castlebay back to Oban, from there to Ellenabeich, Seil (Slate Islands), with a trip to Easdale
Day 8: Back to Oban, catch the ferry to Islay via Colonsay, from Islay to Jura, sleep in Craighouse
Day 9: Explore Jura and Islay, sleep in Port Ellen
Day 10: Ferry to Tarbert, drive down to Campbeltown
Day 11: Visit Springbank, then move up the Mull of Kintyre and take the ferry to Arran
Day 12: Explore Arran, take the boat back to the Mainland, spend the night in Edinburgh

In the subsequent years I went back to the Islands I liked most to spend more time there.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 526
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2022, 08:49:44 AM »
Bumping this because I'm planning on a trip out to California from Michigan along I-80 this summer. Looking for good recommendations for weird shit to see in Utah/Nevada along the way, as well as any good state/national park recommendations.

I've done the trip a few times while moving, but never just to do it. I plan on camping and keeping gas as my no.1 expense... I like to travel light and cheap when I'm on the road (no restaurants besides occasional dollar menu fast food, no hotels and free camping if possible). Any tips on how to keep it bare bones and still be happy are welcome, too!
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1433
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2022, 09:06:24 AM »
Bumping this because I'm planning on a trip out to California from Michigan along I-80 this summer. Looking for good recommendations for weird shit to see in Utah/Nevada along the way, as well as any good state/national park recommendations.

I've done the trip a few times while moving, but never just to do it. I plan on camping and keeping gas as my no.1 expense... I like to travel light and cheap when I'm on the road (no restaurants besides occasional dollar menu fast food, no hotels and free camping if possible). Any tips on how to keep it bare bones and still be happy are welcome, too!

Utah:
Bonneville Salt Flats, Antelope Island, Temple Square, Golden Spike, Timpanogos Cave

Nevada:

There are no national parks along I-80.

i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

PuffinMuffin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2022, 09:14:35 AM »
Speaking of road trips, here's every road trip I've been on:

We camp a lot, eat grocery store food like PB&J and travel cheaply, and sell the photos from the trips. Otherwise, we wouldn't be able to afford it.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 526
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2022, 09:42:39 AM »
@PuffinMuffin  you know I'm about to be picking your brain as I plan mine out over the next month or so!
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

PuffinMuffin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2022, 10:01:03 AM »
@PuffinMuffin  you know I'm about to be picking your brain as I plan mine out over the next month or so!

I'm looking forward to it.  ;D

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1418
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2022, 11:09:20 AM »
My partner and i were on a two week road trip last month. Started in Fallbrook, hopped up the coast to Portland and then went east to Idaho and finally south to Vegas before going home. Idaho can suck it

Skibb

• Rep: 68
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2022, 01:56:46 AM »

We camp a lot, eat grocery store food like PB&J and travel cheaply, and sell the photos from the trips. Otherwise, we wouldn't be able to afford it.

Sell the photos? I'm intrigued – how, where and to whom?

PuffinMuffin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2022, 07:18:25 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Sell the photos? I'm intrigued – how, where and to whom?

Stock sites like Shutterstock, Adobe Stock, Alamy, iStock, Pond5, Dreamstime, and Getty for news-related stuff. You need a large catalog of photos to make a reliable income, we have 300,000+ photos, and a lot of them are events, clip art, illustrations, stuff like that.

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 52
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2022, 07:31:46 AM »
dope thread. In 2021 i did two major road trips. One solo xc from boston to CO, UT, NV, CA, AZ, NM sleeping in the back of my truck and dirt biking or skating every day. I had just been laid off and took the opportunity. Some amazing camping and scenery out there. Then in October some of my dirt bike friends were going out to CO/UT in a shitty old RV they bought so I hopped in. By then I had a job but it was remote so it worked.

This year i would really like to go out to the PNW to stay with friends and family if gas prices calm down.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1412
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2022, 10:29:25 AM »
dope thread. In 2021 i did two major road trips. One solo xc from boston to CO, UT, NV, CA, AZ, NM sleeping in the back of my truck and dirt biking or skating every day. I had just been laid off and took the opportunity. Some amazing camping and scenery out there. Then in October some of my dirt bike friends were going out to CO/UT in a shitty old RV they bought so I hopped in. By then I had a job but it was remote so it worked.

This year i would really like to go out to the PNW to stay with friends and family if gas prices calm down.

$5.85/gallon in Humboldt County, CA... It's only a dollar more per gallon than it usually is up here, so it's kinda whatever for me at this point. But the $81 for a full tank on the 07 Subaru was a sticker shock. Shit sucks gas at 21.4mpg.

But ya road tripping is where it's at. I was just watching Consolidated "No Tomorrow" and want to get a trip going on after Oregon Country Fair, or maybe late August/Early September. Leave home and meet up with people, drive em a ways, skate, go separate ways. I've got to be in Boston by Sept 23 for a wedding and I'm taking a new job until Halloween time, so it's kind of the prime time in my adult life to do it with skating in mind. I've driven across and all over numerous times, but haven't had a skate trip since I was a kid. Big ups on the inspiration SLAAAAAAAAP
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Jagr

• Rep: 116
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2022, 05:54:31 PM »
My partner and i were on a two week road trip last month. Started in Fallbrook, hopped up the coast to Portland and then went east to Idaho and finally south to Vegas before going home. Idaho can suck it

Idaho is amazing. But I imagine you stayed mostly along I-84 and in Boise coming from Portland and at that time of year? During the summer, the Sawtooths are one of the most beautiful places in the country.

Jagr

• Rep: 116
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2022, 06:26:41 PM »

You're set on I-80 the entire way? Are you driving there and back?

There's a ton of small town city parks in the midwest (Iowa and Nebraska for your route) with free or very cheap camping...Old Town Park (free) in Macedonia, Iowa between Des Moines and Omaha is one of my favorites. Ashton Wildwood Park in Mingo, Iowa ($7 for a night, I think) is another good one. It also has free hot showers that you can use without staying/paying at the park.

Whenever I'm near Salt Lake City, I like to camp at Diamond Fork Canyon near Spanish Fork. There's a bunch of free dispersed camping along Diamond Fork Road as well as on a bunch of side roads. The trailhead for Fifth Water Hot Springs is nearby. It's about a 2 mile hike to the springs in each direction. Free range cattle do graze here so tent camping might be sketchy with all the cow pies.

Winnemucca is an interesting little town with a lot of basque history. The Martin Hotel is a great traditional basque restaurant where everyone sits together at the same tables.

But, I agree with @PuffinMuffin that it might be worth dropping down to Highway 50 (the Loneliest Road in America) through Nevada. Or, better yet, if you drop down earlier (say out of SLC) then you can visit Great Basin National Park (or you could backtrack from Ely), which is super underrated in my opinion. There's a free BLM campground at Sacramento Pass near Baker, Nevada and another free BLM campground at Illipah Reservoir a little west of Ely. In the hills past Illipah, there's also tons of very private dispersed camping as well as a bunch of abandoned old mines and ghost town ruins.

Or, if you do go I-80 through Nevada and check out Bonneville Salt Flats, there's free dispersed camping on BLM land in the Silver Island Mountains, which are just outside the salt flats.

Hope you have a great trip!

cky enthusiast

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2022, 08:35:11 PM »
did a two month new england mish shout out @dofrenzy

going to the south for two weeks at the end of the month

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 335
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2022, 02:55:18 AM »
I don't know why but I struggle to keep it together on road trips. I'm kind of like a house cat. Not much of a homebody and need to be out most of the day doing stuff but always need the base to come home to. I seem to max out at 3 or 4 day trips.

dofrenzy

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2022, 05:37:33 AM »
did a two month new england mish shout out @dofrenzy

going to the south for two weeks at the end of the month

@life is a hell ride, having Slap Pals (you and your girl, tell her I say hello!) over has been a highlight of having a mini in the yard!

Open invitation to any Pals who might be in the vicinity or passing through.  Fall River, MA, not far from Route 195 and Route 24.  HMU

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 644
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2022, 12:48:30 PM »
I'm a few weeks out from a trip to the Clearwater Florida area (more specifically Indian Rocks Beach) driving from central Indiana. 16ish hour drive with the wife and daughters ages 4 and 2...  Wish me luck.  Going down there with my sister and her family and they're driving straight through.  We'll have to take it in two days, there's no way my kids will handle that long in the car well. 

Get hungry on it!