Author Topic: Culturally important video parts.  (Read 5498 times)

Roast beef

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -734
  • My daughter is my world.
Culturally important video parts.
« on: July 20, 2020, 04:05:16 PM »
Video parts that were almost game changing/groundbreaking for their time. Parts that people will still be talking about years from now in any discussion about a great parts.
PJ’s WHL
Mike mo - Fully Flared
BA - Welcome to Hell
Jake Johnson - Mindfield
Dylan - Dylan
Rowley and Arto - Sorry
Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It’s the courage to continue that counts.

sus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 374
Re: Culturally important video parts.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 04:19:18 PM »
Video parts that were almost game changing/groundbreaking for their time. Parts that people will still be talking about years from now in any discussion about a great parts.
PJ’s WHL
Mike mo - Fully Flared
BA - Welcome to Hell
Jake Johnson - Mindfield
Dylan - Dylan
Rowley and Arto - Sorry

Not even just parts but i feel like each of the listed videos in full were extremely influential

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2020, 05:28:15 PM »
I'm sure people will mention video days and mouse and photosynthesis so I'll talk about some more direct contemporary stuff. Also I am downloading a videogame so I'll burn some time.

Mike Mo in Fully Flared - He's the first of the "I play hours of THPS and my mom carpools all my friends to the skatepark" type to make it big. Also it was pretty sick that he was really good at gaps, ledges, manuals, and flatground but couldn't skate rails or tranny, which made a potential robot oddly relatable.

Jake Johnson in Mindfield - Brought in the New York Renaissance of the late 00s and early 10s. East Coast used to be easy tricks hard obtacles, Jake was doing fucked tricks on fucked obstacles. People took wallrides to another level and got more creative with switch stance. Also he's the first east coast king that didn't have a wigger/gangsta phase.

Grant Taylor & Justin Brock in Debacle - Although people remember GT's part as being better I think both parts being back to back really changed how people skated. ATVs were around in the early 90s but Debacle was the first time you started seeing dudes skate street the same way they skated tranny. What was also overlooked was that these dudes were repping different Southeast scenes hard back when nobody was giving a fuck about them.

Lance Mountain in Extremely Sorry - This was the skate video equivalent of the old guy cooking dudes in basketball at the local YMCA. Pros over 35 weren't really taking video parts seriously until this one came out, just because its not cutting edge doesn't mean you can't produce something that people would get stoked on. Also seemed like old motherfuckers came out of nowhere at the skateparks so I blame him lol.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2020, 05:52:53 PM »
Danny Brady and Nick Jensen, In Lost and Found and Lucas in Bon Apetit: just look at these Lost and Founds influence on helping create one of the most popular scenes right now between Palace, Isle, Jacob Harris, etc. Bon Apetit and Lost and Found seemed to be the first Euro videos that got serious attention. Those two videos made euro-videos cool. Previously, it was about the Flip guys destroying Hunington when they came over, or American pros getting footage in Europe on 411. These videos defined where they were shot, London for Jensen and Brady, Lyon and other European cities for Lucas.

Dylan-Dylan: while it had a physical release, not only was it influential on future solo releases (Cross Continental, Austyn Unimited, etc), it also really ushered in the era of the online part, which is a gift and a curse.

Koston-Menikmati: That changed tech skating on rails even if the editing style never caught on.

Rob Dyrdek-Memory Screen: I don't know where a bunch of companies would be editing style wise if this edit was never made. It shaped Alien Workshops style, which has often been replicated.

Ricky Oyola- Eastern Exposure 3: This part defines the EE series, and has massively shaped the independent filmers and videos of the East Coast since (Static, Sabatoge, etc).

Pat Duffy- Questionable: Single handily changed rail skating.

Carroll-Questionable/Henry Sanchez-Pack of Lies: Both captured high-end tech ledge skating, primarily skating at the same spot (Justin Herman Plaza) with the same crew (EMB). That's carried over to the defining era of Love with Stevie/Kalis/Wenning, to Pulaski, to Pier-7, MACBA, etc.

Elissa Steamer- Welcome to Hell - Where would women's skating be without this part breaking the barrier? A woman on an all guys team in one of the heaviest videos of the time.

I'm not saying all of these are my favorite parts of all time (most are among them) but in regards to how they changed skating and the way it was presented.

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -216
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2020, 05:56:53 PM »
Hensley in Not the New H-Street Video

Vallely in Public Domain

both launched legions of imitators

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2020, 06:23:28 PM »
lennie kirk - timecode: ushered in the proud tradition of skaters becoming total lunatics

sk8ordontordie

• Rep: -16
  • I like to skate
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2020, 07:16:44 PM »
Pj whl

Guy Mariano mouse

Brian wenning photosynthesis

Anthony poppalardo mosaic / fully flared

Welcome to slap message board

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 730
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2020, 07:30:28 PM »
I said it the other day but Dane Brady’s I Like it Here Inside my Mind part made me feel feelings I hadn’t felt since PJ in WHL. The exact same ‘the world has been turned upside down in front of you’ feeling. A lot of the shit in those parts shouldn’t be possible, but is.

Also, matter of fact, same about Tom Knox in Vase. Pappalardo in Mosaic also felt like that to a lesser degree to me.

Reynolds in Stay Gold. Gonz in Video Days and Real to Reel.

Rowley and Arto in Sorry are both insane front to back, specifically Rowley. It’s controversial, but I think that he shoulda had ender.

Heaths Sight Unseen part would be even more culturally significant it was edited to ‘Wish You Were Here.’

I can’t really argue against any of the parts mentioned.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

sweetlou

• Rep: 11
  • https://www.superduperskateboards.com/
    • superduperskateboards.com avatar image
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2020, 07:53:52 PM »
Marisa Dal Santo - Strange World.... duh....

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 892
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2020, 08:11:13 PM »
Muska in fulfill the dream

WPG

• Rep: -4
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2020, 08:15:54 PM »
Oddly in my group of white suburban Canadian friends

DGK Blood Money, Parental Advisory

And Bryan Herman in Stay Gold.

Muska, Chillin Chillin
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson flight decks

Bugsytootsie

• Rep: -10
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2020, 08:44:02 PM »
Marc Johnson fully flared. Still amazing

yapple dapple

• Rep: 155
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2020, 08:45:49 PM »

JamesFardy

• Rep: 65
    • Gyfcat.com avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2020, 08:52:49 PM »
Let’s get some James Craig in here

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2020, 08:57:41 PM »
Oddly in my group of white suburban Canadian friends

DGK Blood Money, Parental Advisory

And Bryan Herman in Stay Gold.
You forgot Wade in Top Dollar, and any Grant Paterson footage. It took about 10 to 15 years to finally remove the ghetto gown as a common occurrence after those.

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
  • <3
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2020, 08:58:15 PM »
Jerry's bag of suck part was pretty fucking unreal, and I haven't watched it recently, but I bet it holds up in 2020.

I completely agree about Koston's part in Menikmati. Dude was way ahead of his time in that part. However, I loved his Chomp on this Part. Casually killing it. Grinds to manuals. Parking lot manual marathon. Chompin hubbas, and flickin down double sets. No complys in a time they weren't that cool. It was like a precursor to "instagram" parts.

Mccrank's part in Menikmati had a pretty big influence on me too.

PJ's whl. Dude, that was like coming across some random instagram profile where the guy kills it more than most pros and you've never heard of him. That was unreal. I remember buying even more Accels after seeing his part.

Also, Sus has a pretty good point. Videos as a whole typically had more impact than just one part. However, most of the parts that have been stated are typically the best parts of those vids.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 09:28:15 PM by TurdyBird »
The chillest1

Sluggloaph

• Rep: 25
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2020, 09:10:35 PM »
Definitely ricky in ee3.
Whoa. Danger.

Colin Robinson

• Rep: 60
  • energy vampire
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2020, 09:17:26 PM »
Vov Vurnquist’s Dreamland

WPG

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2020, 01:27:25 AM »

This part is amazing aswell
Muska, Chillin Chillin
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson flight decks

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2020, 02:05:13 AM »

This part is amazing aswell

I'm curious what you think the cultural importance of this part is

kookzilla

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2020, 02:33:15 AM »
Dane Brady's part in I like it here inside my mind

mclovin1336

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2020, 04:05:51 AM »
Dane Brady's part in I like it here inside my mind

out of the recent parts, definetely!

LLN

• Rep: -2
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2020, 04:45:04 AM »

Mouth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2020, 04:54:38 AM »
Jamie Thomas - Welcome to Hell
Matt Hensley - Hokus Pokus
Andrew Reynolds - The End
Pete Smolik - Fulfill the Dream
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 05:44:37 AM by Mouth »
'No Mouth, you have a negative rep because you are a fan of growing your wealth off of the backs of low paid workers and brag about having bodyguards. You literally kook people for doing charity in South East Asia. Don't deny it.'

Utopos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -23
  • Who Cares
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2020, 05:08:46 AM »
Jerry's bag of suck part was pretty fucking unreal, and I haven't watched it recently, but I bet it holds up in 2020.

I completely agree about Koston's part in Menikmati. Dude was way ahead of his time in that part. However, I loved his Chomp on this Part. Casually killing it. Grinds to manuals. Parking lot manual marathon. Chompin hubbas, and flickin down double sets. No complys in a time they weren't that cool. It was like a precursor to "instagram" parts.

Mccrank's part in Menikmati had a pretty big influence on me too.

PJ's whl. Dude, that was like coming across some random instagram profile where the guy kills it more than most pros and you've never heard of him. That was unreal. I remember buying even more Accels after seeing his part.

Also, Sus has a pretty good point. Videos as a whole typically had more impact than just one part. However, most of the parts that have been stated are typically the best parts of those vids.

I watched it last month and it totally does.

swordtechnique

• Rep: -56
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2020, 05:54:07 AM »
Jamie Thomas - Welcome to Hell
Matt Hensley - Hokus Pokus
Andrew Reynolds - The End
Pete Smolik - Fulfill the Dream

I agree with these but especially smolik to me that part is legendary

hotstudios_on_youtube

• Rep: -65
  • ???
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2020, 06:41:52 AM »
hsu all switch in stay gold
westgate opener in stay gold

Andrew Allen prevent this tragedy
ave - propellor
trey pudwill - hallejuh and Big Bang
heath ender in mindfield
 t funk dc part

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2020, 06:48:00 AM »
Totally agree on most everything said so far, especially when it comes to Ricky Oyola, PJ Ladd, Jake Johnson, Arto, Nick Jensen, Lucas Puig, Andrew Reynolds... fuck, there's a lot. Skateboarding is so cool when done right. I want to add that Jerry Hsu's Bag of Suck part manages to be one of the defining parts of his generation AND underrated at the same time.

A few that haven't been mentioned yet:

Mark Gonzales in Video Days - duh.

Mike Carroll in Questionable - a defining moment for tech skateboarding and plaza skateboarding. If we're talking EMB, Henry Sanchez's part in Pack of Lies is absolutely worth mentioning, as well.

Guy Mariano in Mouse - A perfect part from a perfect era. Kept the man relevant for a full decade after the fact.

Jamie Thomas in Welcome to Hell - he's had a lot of great video parts, but his influence in handrail skating can be traced back directly to this one.

Jason Dill in Photosynthesis - set the stage for what New York City skating would become. I would also include Popps and Wenning's parts in this video, a high point of the Love Park era.

You love to hate him, but Bobby Puleo's part in Static II was the blueprint for prototypical cellar door skating, and that style of skating popped off hard in the years following.

Torey Pudwill's Big Bang - Dylan set the stage for the single video part media takeover, but this was the first time Thrasher did it, setting the stage for SOTYs to come.

Mark Suciu's Cross-Continental - he really came out of nowhere to kick off an incredible career with this part.

The Alien Workshop montage in Cinematographer Project - The supernova explosion from one of the greatest brands in skateboarding history, capturing almost everyone at a peak.

Cyrus Bennett and Max Palmer in Paych - these dudes inadvertently caught both the "New York City" and "anything goes, skate how you want" waves that cherry brought about and wound up being just as influential on the way people skate, along with Johnny Wilson and the way people put together videos.

Tom Knox in Vase - speaking as an outsider, I feel like there was a real "before" and "after" in UK skateboarding after Tom Knox and Jacob Harris came on the scene. This part (and his Eleventh Hour part before) pushed UK skateboarding up a notch.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

AssMountain

• Rep: 30
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2020, 07:36:07 AM »

Tom Knox in Vase - speaking as an outsider, I feel like there was a real "before" and "after" in UK skateboarding after Tom Knox and Jacob Harris came on the scene. This part (and his Eleventh Hour part before) pushed UK skateboarding up a notch.

By 'pushed up a notch', do you mean given more exposure in the US?

Once I was alone I just laid on the futon listening to Leonard Cohen and thinking about the other girl I liked and missed.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2020, 07:38:12 AM »
Sinner - Theatrix

Was gonna un-ironically post this. It is kinda important to note terrible parts as they shape what not to do or a direction to avoid.

Like Sheckler in True. He hyped a trick and didn’t commit, kinda out shined his own part.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.