Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 798231 times)

thebacker

Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #2130 on: September 30, 2019, 10:32:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Someone posted somewhere here a while ago about some small brand by the dude who developed Formula Fours. I can’t find it for the life of me. Can anyone remember what the brand was and/or who the dude is?
[close]
loophole wheels
[close]

Thanks man! 👍

Have you tried them? Anyone else?

ive wanted to but literally just got new wheels, maybe next time

Woos

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 7
« Reply #2131 on: October 01, 2019, 03:01:02 AM »
Did you guys see that Easy Streets now come in a raw colorway and they now offer them in all shapes? I’m pretty stoked. 99A V4s would be a badass bowl wheel.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 833
« Reply #2132 on: October 01, 2019, 03:55:14 AM »
I just got a couple pairs of Niki Red wheels and they seem to be pretty good quality. I got the Brooklyn Baptizer which is 54mm 96a with a really nice conical shape. It's a little wider than spitfire conical full but is treaded. Going to skate these first as they're better suited for the rough pavement I usually skate. The other set is a 54mm 101a wolf graphic (inspired by some college mascot I think) with a really similar shape to one of the wider bones shapes.. I think v4 but I'll have to check.

Out of the box these seem to be decent quality, the urethane doesn't feel cheap and plastic like a lot of cheap wheels do and the graphics are good quality prints. They have a lot of size/duro combos but seem to gravitate towards bigger sizes and conical molds. If they end up sucking I'll come back and let you all know but so far so good.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #2133 on: October 01, 2019, 04:59:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Someone posted somewhere here a while ago about some small brand by the dude who developed Formula Fours. I can’t find it for the life of me. Can anyone remember what the brand was and/or who the dude is?
[close]
loophole wheels
[close]

Thanks man! 👍

Have you tried them? Anyone else?
[close]

ive wanted to but literally just got new wheels, maybe next time

I really want to try them out too but would like knowing how they compare to F4s. Fucking international shipping and taxes would make these cost me 15€ more than F4s and I don’t think I can justify that seeing as F4s aren’t exactly cheap either. 🤔

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #2134 on: October 01, 2019, 07:59:33 AM »
Tried out my 44mm boardy cakes for the first time. I pretty much got out of my car, threw my board down, and rolled in a semi-circle back to my car. Session over.

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #2135 on: October 01, 2019, 08:18:51 AM »
i don't understand why people would ride these wheels, to be honest. it is crippling.

PMA

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2136 on: October 01, 2019, 08:30:26 AM »
i don't understand why people would ride these wheels, to be honest. it is crippling.
This. Anything below 50 mm is just dumb and pointless.

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2137 on: October 01, 2019, 09:40:40 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Small wheels are used for slappy setups since it's easier to get the truck onto the curb/block.

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #2138 on: October 01, 2019, 09:45:13 AM »
i don't see that point i slappy on 58s better than on any smaller wheel.

small wheels only lift onto angled parking blocks, straight curbs are much harder for me on small wheels

PMA

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Dopeness
« Reply #2139 on: October 01, 2019, 10:17:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Small wheels are used for slappy setups since it's easier to get the truck onto the curb/block.
Is it really worth it to have a setup only for slappies, since it's wortless for everything else?

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2140 on: October 01, 2019, 10:32:04 AM »
If you can afford it and follow this starterpack, might as well.

Spencer uses 50mm wheels, Chris uses 42mm wheels.

Tbh it's really just personal preference. Personally I can slappy with 53mm and 56mm wheels.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1101
« Reply #2141 on: October 01, 2019, 11:28:39 AM »

if anyone is looking for a smaller brand with Bones hardness and a lock-in shape.
I wanted to get a pair, but I have a thing for skinny wheels

What a find

« Reply #2142 on: October 01, 2019, 11:49:16 AM »
Slappy specific setups

No, please no

You're missing the whole point of riding curbs if you're in the "easier to get on them" mentality

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 192
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2143 on: October 01, 2019, 08:11:06 PM »
Anyone got opinions on ricta sparx?

I just got a set and they’re decent but nothing crazy special

They feel like very regular decent wheels

They’ll last and won’t flat spot that easily I can feel but they definitely don’t have anything special feeling

Currently I’m loving pig primes cause they feel like classics but better

Formula fours are cool and I really want some easy streets but hmmmmmmm.....

I’m over the formula fours, they slide and work good but they kinda feel to slick to me over time
yes

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Dopeness
« Reply #2144 on: October 02, 2019, 03:44:56 AM »

Isn't sparx their pricepoint wheel, so this is exactly what you would expect?

Ziad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -103
    • bouklao.com avatar image
« Reply #2145 on: October 02, 2019, 06:20:38 AM »
does anyone ride 56mm for street skating? i ordered 56mm bones STF v5 shape I think it'll be faster and smoother, better lock on grinds having a bigger wheel but im worried that'll be heavy, and wheelbites like crazy anyone try out 56mm for street skating?

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #2146 on: October 02, 2019, 07:58:28 AM »
i have done and depending on the truck you'll definitely need risers. had stf v5 56ers also a few years ago, once i put pads on it was alright.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1964
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2147 on: October 02, 2019, 09:02:39 AM »
How noticeable is the increase in wheel height from 52 to 55? Been rocking 50-52 with Venture lows for close to a decade, went up to a Indy 149 and 52mm.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

velvethammer

• Rep: -8
« Reply #2148 on: October 02, 2019, 11:58:45 AM »
does anyone ride 56mm for street skating? i ordered 56mm bones STF v5 shape I think it'll be faster and smoother, better lock on grinds having a bigger wheel but im worried that'll be heavy, and wheelbites like crazy anyone try out 56mm for street skating?
I have been using 56mm with a 1/8 risers. They are good for just about everything. I do get some nasty wheel bite coming out of slappys where there is no run out and a turn is needed after popping off the curb. My next set will be 54mm with the same risers.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2149 on: October 02, 2019, 04:50:53 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Isn't sparx their pricepoint wheel, so this is exactly what you would expect?

Something like a spit classic but with some ricta magic that everyone use to boast about

Back in the 7.5/7.8 days it was spit classics, bones 100’s or stf if you could afford it, and ricta naturals/cores and I tried classics and all the bones but never rictas and anyone who had rictas rode them to the core
yes

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2150 on: October 03, 2019, 03:13:58 AM »
I vaguely recall Ricta Cores around when I started skating (tail end of 08 I think) and everyone who had them had issues with the core popping out - a friend of mine randomly stumbled across some "all star chrome cores" with gold cores and purple urethane in a junk shop in the middle of nowhere. Infact my first set of "proper" wheels were Ricta Supercrystals in a colour I can only describe as 10 beers deep dehydrated piss.

I haven't skated the Sparx, but given their description and price point at £25 I'd assume they're just a generic price point wheel up there with Bones 100's etc. That being said what's the prices of Ricta Naturals over there? They're often on sale here for equivalent or cheaper than the Sparx (£20) and in my opinion I'd say they're definitely comparable to F4's, STF's etc in terms of the slide. They definitely do cone out and shrink a little quicker, but overall they're a nice wheel and I'd have no qualms skating them again.

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Dopeness
« Reply #2151 on: October 03, 2019, 05:01:36 AM »
Naturals used to be pricepoint too, but the last year or two they started doing nrg naturals, those are good.

Ziad

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2152 on: October 03, 2019, 06:33:12 AM »
i have done and depending on the truck you'll definitely need risers. had stf v5 56ers also a few years ago, once i put pads on it was alright.
thanks! do you remember what size? like bigger than the normal 1/8" pads?

Ziad

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2153 on: October 03, 2019, 06:35:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I have been using 56mm with a 1/8 risers. They are good for just about everything. I do get some nasty wheel bite coming out of slappys where there is no run out and a turn is needed after popping off the curb. My next set will be 54mm with the same risers.
Think I should get 1/4" pads then? I had to choose between 55mm and 56mm but I thought I'd go 56mm since wheels get smaller over time

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 267
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #2154 on: October 03, 2019, 06:43:14 AM »
I'm struggling finding a wheel I like other than the 99 F4s classic fulls Im on but not sluggish. I'm in Baltimore and the chatter is getting to be a bit much. Any suggestions?
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #2155 on: October 03, 2019, 07:33:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Think I should get 1/4" pads then? I had to choose between 55mm and 56mm but I thought I'd go 56mm since wheels get smaller over time

You get the same clearance with 1/8” risers and 56 mm wheels as you do with 50 mm wheels with no risers. For 1/4” risers it’s the same clearance as with 44 mm wheels with no risers.

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #2156 on: October 03, 2019, 07:53:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I mainly got the 44mm wheels for their novelty, not to seriously skate. Kind of like a skate souvenir. Only $25 anyway. Usually i ride 56mm so i had very low expectations.

Also, theres no way a tiny wheel is better for slappies, at least the standard 5050 slappy. And huge wheels take the fun out of it. I like a 56-58mm wheel on a solid, standard curb. Having to go fast and put your weight into it makes it feel much better.

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #2157 on: October 03, 2019, 08:28:07 AM »
I find 55-54mm don't require riser pads anything higher definitely needs a riser.  I've been riding a Spitfire Classics 55mm on some 149's Indy's and they're just snug of giving me wheelbite.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2158 on: October 03, 2019, 01:37:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
thanks! do you remember what size? like bigger than the normal 1/8" pads?

1/8th i believe.

@darthdingus it depends on the truck really, you have a bit more leeway on indys. I have a friend somehow running 57s on indys and while the wheelbite hits occasionally i somehow get more with 54s and risers on 149 thunders :o

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2159 on: October 03, 2019, 02:52:24 PM »
Naturals used to be pricepoint too, but the last year or two they started doing nrg naturals, those are good.

Yeah I saw those and were very interested cause I remember the naturals were the basic competitor to spit classics

Spit classics are good to me so how were the ricta naturals is the question, did the sparx 99a take place of the naturals? Cause I recall that sparx were usually just a harder than ricta natural wheel at 101a instead of 99a
yes