Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 798248 times)

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #4650 on: February 28, 2022, 06:12:59 AM »
Maybe dumb question incoming.. what are people using bigger 56mm+ wheels in the classic shape for?

They seem really popular on here but I can't figure it out. Bigger wheels are generally for transition and the classic shape is for street/tech. Is it a best of both worlds thing?

I'm on big boards again and the thought of shaving some weight off with slimer wheels is tempting but learning to ride transition on them feels like it could be slippery

I skate 60mm classics on one of my set ups. For me, the size doesn’t handle too different for trucks than 55’s, but I can skate faster and crust bugs me less. They are great when I’m skating through big parts of the city and not lingering in any spot too long

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 792
« Reply #4651 on: February 28, 2022, 06:46:16 AM »
Maybe dumb question incoming.. what are people using bigger 56mm+ wheels in the classic shape for?

They seem really popular on here but I can't figure it out. Bigger wheels are generally for transition and the classic shape is for street/tech. Is it a best of both worlds thing?

I'm on big boards again and the thought of shaving some weight off with slimer wheels is tempting but learning to ride transition on them feels like it could be slippery

dumb answer incoming

for me it's the way they wear down. you could shave off a few millimeters and they would still look just fine. 56 or 58mm classics are wider than the smaller sizes, and when they wear down they get even wider. a 58mm classic kinda looks like a radial full at 50mm. right now i'm on 58mm og classics and while they're great now i think i'm going to pass them on at 54 and cop another set of 56 or 58 classics, simply because they will look better when small.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #4652 on: February 28, 2022, 07:30:16 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I’m not exaggerating when I say that about half of my little grom friends and acquaintances from the skatepark (the under-18 crowd) are skating the new 60mm Kader wheels and they’re all street rippers. Make of that what you will.

The local told me something to the same effect: they are all out in the streets, need them big wheels.

As usual, I have questions. What size boards are these going on? Wheels can be the heavy part of the setup, how, are these setups just heavy tanks? Most importantly: are these big wheels unlocking any spots? I wonder if the bigger wheels help with pop/leverage on the larger setups?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4653 on: February 28, 2022, 07:44:17 AM »

1. Copying Kader

2. Kids that aren’t as well off and skate a lot can skate those for a long time.

3. If you have to push everywhere it’s actually pretty noticeable over a day.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4654 on: February 28, 2022, 07:48:18 AM »
Every time I think of migrating to another brand from F4 it’s like I cant quit an addiction. I mostly skate smooth ground but not parks. Is there any reason to fuck with Dialtone or Loophole? Their shapes seem reasonably close to Spit but I like the smaller brand vibe and their teams.

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 792
« Reply #4655 on: February 28, 2022, 07:57:29 AM »
Every time I think of migrating to another brand from F4 it’s like I cant quit an addiction. I mostly skate smooth ground but not parks. Is there any reason to fuck with Dialtone or Loophole? Their shapes seem reasonably close to Spit but I like the smaller brand vibe and their teams.

dialtones are ok, not great, but they get the job done. they roll and they slide. i had 99s and they wore down much faster than 99 f4s and they definitely feel worse. also, they flatspot, not easily, but i did get a flatspot.

haven't had loopholes but people on here have been praising them a lot.

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 650
« Reply #4656 on: February 28, 2022, 08:06:05 AM »
This is basically the reason I skate dialtones. I mean I think they're good wheels too, but from a pure performance standpoint they don't offer anything that you can't get from an F4. I've got dialtones, loopholes, and F4s that I rotate in and out depending on how they treat me on a particular setup. 

After all, variety is the spice of life.

Get hungry on it!

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #4657 on: February 28, 2022, 08:09:30 AM »

I don't know anything about Dialtone, so I won't comment, but I got Loopholes during the Thanksgiving sale back in November and they are honestly great wheels - IMO as good as the F4. I find it impressive that a small company (NFG) is able to actually make something unique, in their own factory, which stands up favorably to the biggest name in the business. A very impressive product.

It's up to you whether not or if that's enough of a reason to switch. This is a matter of strict personal preference, so I completely understand why someone would just skate F4 wheels forever, if that's what they know are are comfortable with, but if you're coming from F4 wheels and looking to mix it up, you can hardly do better than Loophole/NFG.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #4658 on: February 28, 2022, 08:11:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

I’m not exaggerating when I say that about half of my little grom friends and acquaintances from the skatepark (the under-18 crowd) are skating the new 60mm Kader wheels and they’re all street rippers. Make of that what you will.
[close]

The local told me something to the same effect: they are all out in the streets, need them big wheels.

As usual, I have questions. What size boards are these going on? Wheels can be the heavy part of the setup, how, are these setups just heavy tanks? Most importantly: are these big wheels unlocking any spots? I wonder if the bigger wheels help with pop/leverage on the larger setups?
Honestly, big ‘uns are just fashionable right now. 5 years ago, I was riding big, square 58’s and considered an old eccentric kook.  Yes, they will roll over some stuff, and pop later, steeper and higher. They also weigh more, wheelbite more, and take more effort to pop. I think 56mm-ish is kind of a goldilocks size that will roll, isn’t too heavy or need too much riser. And yes, I’m still an eccentric old kook.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1964
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4659 on: February 28, 2022, 08:46:06 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
This is basically the reason I skate dialtones. I mean I think they're good wheels too, but from a pure performance standpoint they don't offer anything that you can't get from an F4. I've got dialtones, loopholes, and F4s that I rotate in and out depending on how they treat me on a particular setup. 

SML (which are from Creative, same as Dialtone) are good wheels, a solid 7.5/10 with Spitfire being a 10/10. You can do far worse than wheels from Creative.

To me it's about the price point, if I can get the Dialtone / SML for under $25, I'm biting and just having fun with them. They are great under $25, but if I were paying MSRP I'd go with Spitfire or Bones.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 650
« Reply #4660 on: February 28, 2022, 09:17:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

SML (which are from Creative, same as Dialtone) are good wheels, a solid 7.5/10 with Spitfire being a 10/10. You can do far worse than wheels from Creative.

To me it's about the price point, if I can get the Dialtone / SML for under $25, I'm biting and just having fun with them. They are great under $25, but if I were paying MSRP I'd go with Spitfire or Bones.
Yeah, good point.  I grabbed my current set of dialtones from the end of the year sale Parade had for $26, makes it an easy decision.

Get hungry on it!

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #4661 on: February 28, 2022, 02:01:55 PM »
loopholes now! Quality is up there with F4. Never had dial tones but I doubt the urethane is on par with the loops

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

DERBY

• Rep: 272
« Reply #4662 on: February 28, 2022, 04:44:51 PM »

slimmer wheels would defs be slippery.

my previous set was the 60mm classic shape and i loved em. i found them to be pretty good on street. it’s gotten slippery on transition tho (indoor wooden).

if you want the best of both worlds you’d might wanna try out the radial shape

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4663 on: February 28, 2022, 05:26:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
loopholes now! Quality is up there with F4. Never had dial tones but I doubt the urethane is on par with the loops

I second the NFG / Loophole props, they are really forgiving for hardness rating above 103a. Really liking the Square shape, just wish they did those in 52mm instead of 54mm and up.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #4664 on: February 28, 2022, 11:27:44 PM »
Alright guys, I've got some wheel reviews followed up by some questions...

-----

The past several years I've ridden...

Bones STF 103a 55mm - V4 Wide - 17mm riding patch
Bones STF 103a 56mm - V6 Widecut - 20.5mm riding patch

These things are great as long as you're skating smoother surfaces.

+ Very fast.
+ SO fun! Amazing for powerslides/reverts. Very slick and slidey. Mostly only slide when you want them to.
+ Very responsive, and I can feel the board and what I'm riding on very easily.
+/- Slippery on ramps, but in a predictable way. You can pretty much always count on them to slide, for better or for worse. Fun for cess slides and reverts, but could cause some troubles for when you are relying on traction.
- Too hard to tackle pebbles/debris (despite large size). Often found myself eating shit on pebbles I felt I should be able to ride over.
- Too hard to ride on crusty streets. My feet would be numb/tingling from vibrations after I road down certain streets. Rougher surfaces really effect your speed.
- Can slide out on you skating certain surfaces.

Overall, by far my favorite wheels I've ever had when it comes to smooth/clean streets and spots.

9/10. Amazing wheels, but they are awful in the wrong circumstances.

-----

Then to help out a local skateshop I settled for trying...

OJ Elite 101a 54mm - Mini Combo - 20mm riding patch

+ About 80% as slick as my Bones wheels, great for powerslides/reverts. No problems here.
+ What they maybe lacked in slickness they made up for in a slightly smoother ride. I could still powerslide around, but it felt like a bit better for cruising streets. Still a hard wheel though.
+ Still had solid responsiveness and feel.
+ No noticeable difference in speed from my Bones wheels
+/- Felt less "plasticky" than Bones wheels. Again, less slidey.
- It felt slightly less predictable on park surfaces. Sometimes would stick instead of slide. Not a huge deal though.
- I had SOME flatspots. Again, I really like powerslides.
- Maybe wore down faster than Bones wheels?

Surprisingly, I really liked these wheels a lot too. A bit more versatile than those Bones wheels, not as extreme. Not quite as "fun" and slidey, but I never had any trouble sliding when I wanted to. Maybe flatspot and wear down a bit more.

8/10. A little bit more of an all-around wheel. I really enjoyed these. Definitely worth grabbing if they're on sale!

-----

After all the hype I had heard about F4 Conical Fulls, I decided to give them a try. I went in essentially wanting to use them as semi-cruiser wheels. So I decided to try the new 97d...

Spitfire F4 97d 54mm - Conical Full - 22mm riding patch

Well. I got what I asked for, I guess. By chance, after getting them I moved to a place with CRUSTY streets everywhere so they really came in handy. These things have done a good job riding some streets that my Bones wheels would never be able to handle.

+ Can handle the crustiest streets of any wheels I've ever had. There are still limits to what it can handle, but I'm riding on streets where other wheels would struggle and vibrate. It really is a luxury to not have to think about that stuff quite as much.
+ I will often ride over pebbles that I am surprised I can ride over. Its a really a confident ride on these things.
+/- At 97d they almost feel a bit like cruiser wheels. A bit too soft and rubbery to really "feel" what you're skating. However, I haven't found it gets in the way of most tricks, just a bit of a muted feel things. They still pop just fine, no worries here.
+/- They really stick on ramps consistently and keep you from sliding. Probably a plus for most people, but I'm so used to riding Bones still.
- Surprisingly slow. This was a noticeable shock to me. On smooth streets that I used to rip down, I had to push harder to get up to my normal speed. Definitely a lower top speed/acceleration.
- Really hard to powerslide, especially at low speeds. Powerslides don't slide as far as Bones, they grind you to a halt really fast and sometimes kick me off a bit when I'm not ready for it.

8/10. They have come in SO clutch on crusty streets, they are like a hybrid between a cruiser wheel and a trick wheel. But I'm left really missing that easy powerslide/revert I had with the harder Bones and OJ wheels. They are a workhorse wheel that serves their purpose and lets you skate things you wouldn't normally be able to. You can skate confidently not worrying about sliding out (exceptions of ice and slick blacktop). However, the wheel feels less "fun" when I'm skating normal terrain, because I miss sliding around so easily at any speed.

-----

My question is... Where do I go from here? I'm considering...

Bones STF 99a "Easy Streets" V6 Widecut - It would give me the Bones shape/feel I've always liked, but not as overly hard or niche. I've heard they still have that "plasticky" slide the harder Bones have.

Spitfire F4 101d Conical Full - I've heard in general Spitfire just feel a bit softer and don't slide as much compared to Bones... Would a 101d be a nice compromise, or would it have the same "overly hard" problems as Bones 103a but with less slide?

Spitfire F4 99d (Different Shape) - I'm thinking 99a Conical Fulls MIGHT give me similar problems as my 97d, but if I went F4 99a with a thinner shape maybe that would allow them to slide how I like them to, while giving me a softer riding surface for rougher streets.

What do you guys think are the main issues I'm having with my 97d Spitfires are in terms of slidability? Do you think its the F4 being stickier than STF, the slightly wider shape, or the 97d softness?

I would really value some input from someone who has skated some F4 97d. Thanks!
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #4665 on: March 01, 2022, 03:55:52 AM »
Contrary to popular belief, thinner wheels slide worse.
So you'd probably be very happy with conical full 99a.
stf 99a are great too, a bit less slippery than 99a f4 in my experience

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4666 on: March 01, 2022, 05:23:34 AM »
We need a Jan Heine for the science of powerslides.

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
  • Get bent
« Reply #4667 on: March 01, 2022, 05:27:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I second the NFG / Loophole props, they are really forgiving for hardness rating above 103a. Really liking the Square shape, just wish they did those in 52mm instead of 54mm and up.

3rd the loopholes/NFG camp, best wheels out
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #4668 on: March 01, 2022, 06:32:05 AM »

Great reference.
I have considered his explanations of ‘planing’ when I’m thinking about why I prefer a good, somewhat flexy, ps stix deck.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4669 on: March 01, 2022, 06:53:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Great reference.
I have considered his explanations of ‘planing’ when I’m thinking about why I prefer a good, somewhat flexy, ps stix deck.

I had the same thoughts a few days ago reading that thread.

beandemon

« Reply #4670 on: March 01, 2022, 06:59:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Man, I’ve been on the fence about speaking up, but I’m not super impressed with the finish on my NFG 95a 56mm V’s. There’s several small bubbles and there appears to be some bubbles just under the skin. I’ve contacted nfg about it and they assured me it’s cosmetic and said to try them first. And there’s the rub- I’m on the north coast and have skated 3x this year, all inside. I don’t fancy trying to wear the skin off new wheels at the indoor park, either. There should be some dry pavement this month, and I’m very ready to give these wheels a try.

@rocklobster - the “Square” shape comes in 52 and 54; the “Vee”, which is really square, comes in 54 and up.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #4671 on: March 01, 2022, 07:45:10 AM »
Bunch of wheel notes…
I also love my 97A Spitfire classics, but I can’t even get them to slide well on smooth ground. I feel like even the NFG 95A formula slides better.

I really like the STF 99A formula, for what it’s worth. I have several sets of the V5 shape (similar to a conical, maybe a little slimmer), and I think it would be a good middle ground; signature Bones feel and still pretty hard.

The 101A Spitfires are exclusively smooth ground wheels for me, like how the SPFs are for you, but the 99A are pretty versatile, so that’d be my second recommendation.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #4672 on: March 01, 2022, 07:48:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Man, I’ve been on the fence about speaking up, but I’m not super impressed with the finish on my NFG 95a 56mm V’s. There’s several small bubbles and there appears to be some bubbles just under the skin. I’ve contacted nfg about it and they assured me it’s cosmetic and said to try them first. And there’s the rub- I’m on the north coast and have skated 3x this year, all inside. I don’t fancy trying to wear the skin off new wheels at the indoor park, either. There should be some dry pavement this month, and I’m very ready to give these wheels a try.

@rocklobster - the “Square” shape comes in 52 and 54; the “Vee”, which is really square, comes in 54 and up.

Mine are the same way. Some are perfect, some are bubbly, but they’re great wheels despite the lack of aesthetics and polish.

Where did you find 52mm squares? I thought they only did the teardrop shape that small…

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4673 on: March 01, 2022, 08:05:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

https://www.nfgmfg.com/designs

Teardrops - 52 / 54
Square - 54
Vee - 54 / 56 / 58 / 60
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

beandemon

« Reply #4674 on: March 01, 2022, 08:33:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

https://www.nfgmfg.com/designs

Teardrops - 52 / 54
Square - 54
Vee - 54 / 56 / 58 / 60

You’re right! I think I was thrown by the 52D. And thanks for the reassurance on the cosmetic details.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
« Reply #4675 on: March 01, 2022, 08:51:50 AM »
i only have a set of the 95A squares vs reg formula, but i'm totally willing to shoot them over to you when they get to 52ish. probably not the same as an actual set made at 52 BUT i thought i'd throw it out there. also don't know how soon that will happen.

stealth edit: just motivated myself to skate more/harder 💪

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4676 on: March 01, 2022, 09:05:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Mine are the same way. Some are perfect, some are bubbly, but they’re great wheels despite the lack of aesthetics and polish.

Where did you find 52mm squares? I thought they only did the teardrop shape that small…

I have some Loopholes, that I just set up. I haven't used them yet as there has been a deluge of rain since... However, they have been sitting on my rug and they appear to have absorbed dust and dirt off the rug. It's peculiar and not something I can just clean off. The specs are beyond the surface and in the actual wheel. The surface is still smooth. Anyway, I hope this will wear away with use and not impact performance.

Schinken

• Rep: 67
« Reply #4677 on: March 01, 2022, 09:32:28 AM »
Alright guys, I've got some wheel reviews followed up by some questions...

-----

The past several years I've ridden...

Bones STF 103a 55mm - V4 Wide - 17mm riding patch
Bones STF 103a 56mm - V6 Widecut - 20.5mm riding patch

These things are great as long as you're skating smoother surfaces.

+ Very fast.
+ SO fun! Amazing for powerslides/reverts. Very slick and slidey. Mostly only slide when you want them to.
+ Very responsive, and I can feel the board and what I'm riding on very easily.
+/- Slippery on ramps, but in a predictable way. You can pretty much always count on them to slide, for better or for worse. Fun for cess slides and reverts, but could cause some troubles for when you are relying on traction.
- Too hard to tackle pebbles/debris (despite large size). Often found myself eating shit on pebbles I felt I should be able to ride over.
- Too hard to ride on crusty streets. My feet would be numb/tingling from vibrations after I road down certain streets. Rougher surfaces really effect your speed.
- Can slide out on you skating certain surfaces.

Overall, by far my favorite wheels I've ever had when it comes to smooth/clean streets and spots.

9/10. Amazing wheels, but they are awful in the wrong circumstances.

-----

Then to help out a local skateshop I settled for trying...

OJ Elite 101a 54mm - Mini Combo - 20mm riding patch

+ About 80% as slick as my Bones wheels, great for powerslides/reverts. No problems here.
+ What they maybe lacked in slickness they made up for in a slightly smoother ride. I could still powerslide around, but it felt like a bit better for cruising streets. Still a hard wheel though.
+ Still had solid responsiveness and feel.
+ No noticeable difference in speed from my Bones wheels
+/- Felt less "plasticky" than Bones wheels. Again, less slidey.
- It felt slightly less predictable on park surfaces. Sometimes would stick instead of slide. Not a huge deal though.
- I had SOME flatspots. Again, I really like powerslides.
- Maybe wore down faster than Bones wheels?

Surprisingly, I really liked these wheels a lot too. A bit more versatile than those Bones wheels, not as extreme. Not quite as "fun" and slidey, but I never had any trouble sliding when I wanted to. Maybe flatspot and wear down a bit more.

8/10. A little bit more of an all-around wheel. I really enjoyed these. Definitely worth grabbing if they're on sale!

-----

After all the hype I had heard about F4 Conical Fulls, I decided to give them a try. I went in essentially wanting to use them as semi-cruiser wheels. So I decided to try the new 97d...

Spitfire F4 97d 54mm - Conical Full - 22mm riding patch

Well. I got what I asked for, I guess. By chance, after getting them I moved to a place with CRUSTY streets everywhere so they really came in handy. These things have done a good job riding some streets that my Bones wheels would never be able to handle.

+ Can handle the crustiest streets of any wheels I've ever had. There are still limits to what it can handle, but I'm riding on streets where other wheels would struggle and vibrate. It really is a luxury to not have to think about that stuff quite as much.
+ I will often ride over pebbles that I am surprised I can ride over. Its a really a confident ride on these things.
+/- At 97d they almost feel a bit like cruiser wheels. A bit too soft and rubbery to really "feel" what you're skating. However, I haven't found it gets in the way of most tricks, just a bit of a muted feel things. They still pop just fine, no worries here.
+/- They really stick on ramps consistently and keep you from sliding. Probably a plus for most people, but I'm so used to riding Bones still.
- Surprisingly slow. This was a noticeable shock to me. On smooth streets that I used to rip down, I had to push harder to get up to my normal speed. Definitely a lower top speed/acceleration.
- Really hard to powerslide, especially at low speeds. Powerslides don't slide as far as Bones, they grind you to a halt really fast and sometimes kick me off a bit when I'm not ready for it.

8/10. They have come in SO clutch on crusty streets, they are like a hybrid between a cruiser wheel and a trick wheel. But I'm left really missing that easy powerslide/revert I had with the harder Bones and OJ wheels. They are a workhorse wheel that serves their purpose and lets you skate things you wouldn't normally be able to. You can skate confidently not worrying about sliding out (exceptions of ice and slick blacktop). However, the wheel feels less "fun" when I'm skating normal terrain, because I miss sliding around so easily at any speed.

-----

My question is... Where do I go from here? I'm considering...

Bones STF 99a "Easy Streets" V6 Widecut - It would give me the Bones shape/feel I've always liked, but not as overly hard or niche. I've heard they still have that "plasticky" slide the harder Bones have.

Spitfire F4 101d Conical Full - I've heard in general Spitfire just feel a bit softer and don't slide as much compared to Bones... Would a 101d be a nice compromise, or would it have the same "overly hard" problems as Bones 103a but with less slide?

Spitfire F4 99d (Different Shape) - I'm thinking 99a Conical Fulls MIGHT give me similar problems as my 97d, but if I went F4 99a with a thinner shape maybe that would allow them to slide how I like them to, while giving me a softer riding surface for rougher streets.

What do you guys think are the main issues I'm having with my 97d Spitfires are in terms of slidability? Do you think its the F4 being stickier than STF, the slightly wider shape, or the 97d softness?

I would really value some input from someone who has skated some F4 97d. Thanks!

I tried bones stf 99a, spitfire f4 99a radial full and Oj elite 99a.

Stf99a: overall good wheels, very slidey on asphalt. Feels like sliding on ice cubes. They feel like they would grip but once they break loose I tend to slip out. Didn't try them on metal ramps. Fast, no flatspots.

Spitfire 99a:compared to stf99a grip to slip is more predictable. Good slide, fast, no flatspots. Wider contact patch helps a lot on rough streets.  Slippery on metal ramps.

Oj elite 99a: Fast and forgiving. They feel good on almost every surface I've tried. More grip and predictable slide.
I could imagine cruising on them.
I've got tiny flatspots but they ride out pretty quick. Less durable than stf/spitfire.

For me it's Oj elite 99a > spitfire f4 99a > stf 99a.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4678 on: March 01, 2022, 11:59:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

This was the issue with all of their initials wheels NFG made for Road Crew, which ended up being their only order with them and causing some hullabaloo. AFAIK those wheels are fine but I totally understand why someone who spent $40 on some premium skateboard wheels would be put off by that sort of thing.

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
« Reply #4679 on: March 01, 2022, 12:03:47 PM »
I don't mind the air bubbles on my set of NFG Vee's but I ordered a set of the factory seconds...