Author Topic: Favorite Beer  (Read 247954 times)

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
Re: Favorite Beer
« Reply #990 on: April 05, 2013, 06:14:44 AM »
^^Had that a couple of months ago. I really enjoyed it, but pretty expensive for my broke ass.
"I got a fever and the only prescription is more Cadillac Ranch Dressing." - Jereme Rogers

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #991 on: April 10, 2013, 01:28:13 AM »
bought a 4 pack of these at one of my work's locations and it was dated 11/28/12, i hesitated but pulled the trigger anyway. i didnt drink any and then today i had a training at a different location and they had ones bottled on 2/1/13. so i bought the fresher pack and decided to age the already old one so we will see how that goes. if it was already refrigerated should i take it out and store it somewhere dark or should i just let it age in the fridge? on my second one of the night, its gooood.

had this as my second beer of the night tonight, its a lot mellower at 4.9% but super tasty, i can definitely see myself buying more of this as something to sip on all day during the summer months so i dont get too drunk too quick.

my father in law is visiting from the phillipines and staying with us for a couple months and he brought me this little bundle of joy.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

Random Matt

• Rep: 8
« Reply #992 on: April 10, 2013, 05:04:23 AM »
^  The 90 Min is good.  They also make a 120 Min, 20% alc, and it tastes like the 60 Min mixed with rubbing alcohol.

I have been loving these recently.

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #993 on: April 10, 2013, 04:01:58 PM »
i'm no expert but from what i understand you generally don't want to age IPAs.  the hop flavor and aroma is the first thing to drop off in a beer.  that's not to say you can't, or that it will taste horrible, but it will probably not be anything near what the brewers intended it.  drink your IPAs fresh

age other higher alcohol, non hop heavy beers..  imperial stouts, barleywines, strong ales etc..

speaking of imperial stouts, i can't wait for this:

http://beerpulse.com/2013/04/3500-cases-of-firestone-walker-parabola-imperial-stout-set-to-ship-151/
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #994 on: April 10, 2013, 06:39:53 PM »
^ I remember you or someone else telling me that a few pages back. but on the box it says "lush and enjoyable now, this beer ages with the best of em." maybe I'll just wait till the five month mark later this month and crack em then.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

dillanharp

« Reply #995 on: April 10, 2013, 07:13:22 PM »
Oh man let me know how that San Miguel ice is haha. Ask him about red horse!

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #996 on: April 10, 2013, 07:57:30 PM »
had dark lord tonight. don't believe the hype.

Fine Young Cannibal

• Rep: 49
« Reply #997 on: April 10, 2013, 08:04:15 PM »
Took a trip down to the beer distributor yesterday and picked up the following cast of characters:

Oh...and some Dogfish Head 90 Minute.

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #998 on: April 10, 2013, 08:20:40 PM »

really liked this one, much more than the regular fresh old guardian.

chrisB

• Rep: 51
« Reply #999 on: April 10, 2013, 09:42:00 PM »
Anybody know about this? Skater/surfer/snowboarder owned brewery?  ???
http://www.skateboardermag.com/industry-news/saint-archer-brewing-company-is-alive/

Some local brews I enjoy.

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1000 on: April 10, 2013, 10:11:29 PM »
Anybody know about this? Skater/surfer/snowboarder owned brewery?  ???
http://www.skateboardermag.com/industry-news/saint-archer-brewing-company-is-alive/

Some local brews I enjoy.

my first response watching that was "does everything have to become gay?"   but, I shouldn't judge.  haven't tried the beer.  and, there's nothing wrong with skateboarding and beer

guess I'm just tired of lifestyle-shot / poler / loser machine etc... type videos

really want to try Furious

I'm drinking this now.  only my 2nd scotch ale (old chub).  like it. nice to have something more balanced and subdued in between some if the crazy beers I usually drink

"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1001 on: April 10, 2013, 10:12:48 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
really liked this one, much more than the regular fresh old guardian.

got one in the fridge

realitycontrol

• Rep: 237
  • "only when i breathe"
« Reply #1002 on: April 11, 2013, 01:48:55 AM »
had dark lord tonight. don't believe the hype.

i've been told the same thing recently multiple times. apparently previous years batches were better?
"Judging by the state of the economy and world at large, looks like we get to be the fucked generation." - Mouth

MostlyLurkin'

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -49
« Reply #1003 on: April 11, 2013, 04:08:58 AM »
Bud. Heineken. Corona. Simple as that.

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #1004 on: April 11, 2013, 01:19:46 PM »

I might check this out between work and an art show but it's probably a travesty to you guys haha. Honestly, not sure how I feel about it and if anything would probably just go for trying GR's new brew along with eating a cookie.

Had this one the other night which ended up being a pretty good, fair priced, standard Hefeweizen.

On a different note, I've noticed a lot of you guys are pretty into IPA's which is the one beer that no matter how hard I've tried I just can't get into - Witbiers are my strong preference.

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1005 on: April 11, 2013, 02:10:21 PM »
i've never had a beer float.  i'm kind of against them, on principle.  but i can see how as a dessert, it could work with a really strong, chocolatey imperial stout.  maybe. 

i love Golden Road (the brewery and pub).  i hope they end up making better beers now that they have a new brewer.  the only really good one i've had of theirs is the Tumbledown Shack barleywine

Andrew

• Rep: -10
« Reply #1006 on: April 11, 2013, 02:42:31 PM »

I'm sure I'm biased because it's local, and because I love variations of hoppy ambers (when not trying to imitate nugget nectar... leave that to the best), and because ambers remind me of Spring and its finally consistently okay weather (or more accurately, the median is okay weather ::) )
ieatemochilds

dillanharp

« Reply #1007 on: April 11, 2013, 04:22:32 PM »
Just picked this up, my weekend begins... now.

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #1008 on: April 11, 2013, 05:45:54 PM »
update:

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 734
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #1009 on: April 11, 2013, 07:28:49 PM »
I've been going out of my way to try to aquire a taste for beer. It's not working out. I find myself reaching for wheat beers because they're easiest to drink and IPAs because they have the highest alcohol content. Even though I find the IPAs absolutely disgusting, I just power through them and hope to god that one day that beer love makes sense to me. Maybe you beer veterans can give me suggestions on my next purchase. I've been buying local beers because a lot of the big grocery stores carry them. This is the latest brew I've purchased.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

dillanharp

« Reply #1010 on: April 11, 2013, 07:32:30 PM »
I've been going out of my way to try to aquire a taste for beer. It's not working out. I find myself reaching for wheat beers because they're easiest to drink and IPAs because they have the highest alcohol content. Even though I find the IPAs absolutely disgusting, I just power through them and hope to god that one day that beer love makes sense to me. Maybe you beer veterans can give me suggestions on my next purchase. I've been buying local beers because a lot of the big grocery stores carry them. This is the latest brew I've purchased.

What is it about the IPA's that you don't like? The bitterness?

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1011 on: April 11, 2013, 07:42:11 PM »
Yeah. I figured if I could get used to it, I could used to anything.

dillanharp

« Reply #1012 on: April 11, 2013, 09:16:23 PM »
Damn, that's what I like about it. Ales in general are going to be more bitter. Check out a good blonde ale(sorry I don't know any really). If you really can't get down, try some pilsners. Or, my wife fucking hates beer but she loves

It's pretty good and you can get it at bevmo or trader joes.

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1013 on: April 11, 2013, 10:50:46 PM »
That looks delicious.

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1014 on: April 11, 2013, 10:53:48 PM »
L33

first off, Green Glash is an amazing double IPA.  but that is a seriously bold beer.  honestly, you're diving in head first with that.   I love it, but I'm a hop head.  if you don't like IPAs you don't like IPAs.  no need to force it.   you might come to like them.  try them again periodically.  but in the mean time I'm sure you can find a style you'll like.  if you want an intro to IPAs try starting with pale ales, like Sierra or Stone.  honestly, Kona Fire Rock Pale Ale is very drinkable.

if you like wheat beers, Belgians are not too far off from that.  Try a Chimay.  or Allagash White (Belgian wheat beer).  

I'm convinced that most people would like beer if the just find the style they like.  my mom liked some pumpkin beer I brought over for Christmas, and I recently got my mom and sister digging some Sierra Ovila Quad

try different styles.  find something you like

do you live near Green Flash?

dillanharp

« Reply #1015 on: April 11, 2013, 11:23:31 PM »
This is literally 100 feet from my apartment next month, Bay Area dudes, heads up. I'm not a big GB fan, but fuck it, it's $10 and I can crawl home. www.gordonbiersch.com

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1016 on: April 11, 2013, 11:59:33 PM »
L33

first off, Green Glash is an amazing double IPA.  but that is a seriously bold beer.  honestly, you're diving in head first with that.   I love it, but I'm a hop head.  if you don't like IPAs you don't like IPAs.  no need to force it.   you might come to like them.  try them again periodically.  but in the mean time I'm sure you can find a style you'll like.  if you want an intro to IPAs try starting with pale ales, like Sierra or Stone.  honestly, Kona Fire Rock Pale Ale is very drinkable.

if you like wheat beers, Belgians are not too far off from that.  Try a Chimay.  or Allagash White (Belgian wheat beer).  

I'm convinced that most people would like beer if the just find the style they like.  my mom liked some pumpkin beer I brought over for Christmas, and I recently got my mom and sister digging some Sierra Ovila Quad

I live probably like 25 minutes southeast of Green Flash. Stone is from San Diego too. I'll definitely try those other beers.

The Nose Face

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 8
« Reply #1017 on: April 12, 2013, 09:13:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Damn, that's what I like about it. Ales in general are going to be more bitter. Check out a good blonde ale(sorry I don't know any really). If you really can't get down, try some pilsners. Or, my wife fucking hates beer but she loves

It's pretty good and you can get it at bevmo or trader joes.

Guinness + Framboise 

Good combo. Haven't had one in ages...

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1018 on: April 12, 2013, 09:54:25 AM »
Expand Quote
L33

[close]
I live probably like 25 minutes southeast of Green Flash. Stone is from San Diego too. I'll definitely try those other beers.

you are near beer mecca then.  so many great breweries around there. 

you should try having flights next time you're at a beer bar or brewery.  can taste a bunch of different stuff with less commitment.

i did a brewery tour a while back in SD over the course of a couple days.  went to Green Flash.   pretty cool tasting room there. 

sounds like you're probably pretty close to Ballast Point.  you should check it out

pancake man

• Rep: 34
« Reply #1019 on: April 12, 2013, 01:00:44 PM »
Got a bottle of Bolt Cutters and a bottle of a Smuttynose short batch called Bloom. It's a belgian wheat brewed with certain flowers such as yarrow, lavender, chamomile, rose buds, elder flowers, calendula, nasturtium and dianthus. Have yet to crack it open, but with it being my birthday on Sunday I don't see a more fitting time