Author Topic: Favorite Beer  (Read 248123 times)

floop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
Re: Favorite Beer
« Reply #1980 on: March 23, 2014, 08:06:22 PM »
been doing a lot of trading on beeradvocate for a while now.  it's kind of a bad habit, but anyway..   finally had a bad package experience.  apparently something broke in my package on the way to my trader.  really fucking bummed.  was a NICE package.  now i'm gonna have to send again, all new beer.  UPS discarded the whole package apparently (i.e., one bottle must have broken and they opened it and kept the rest). 

on the plus side, i got my package from him

how you like me now?

this is only a portion, but the main portion, of the package
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 08:08:23 PM by floop »
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1981 on: March 23, 2014, 08:10:13 PM »

I liked it. Plus it was free from work cause it wouldn't ring up. Can't beat that.

totally agree about 4/20.  i actually dumped the last part of mine.  and i LOVE these beers usually and loved the last one.  thought it was just way too onioney (i guess that's how people would describe it).  just really sharp and one dimensional.  not dank and delicious like the last one
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1982 on: March 23, 2014, 08:29:16 PM »
thought the 4/20 was just ok. all the enjoy by's are pretty oniony/vegetal. they missed an opportunity not making it ridiculously dank to coincide with that date, but it was also the biggest batch they ever made. i get why the consistency was maybe not there for this one.

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1983 on: March 23, 2014, 08:32:14 PM »
yes.  a 4/20 enjoy by should be dank as fuck.  like Hoptimum dank

Fine Young Cannibal

• Rep: 49
« Reply #1984 on: March 23, 2014, 10:35:16 PM »
been doing a lot of trading on beeradvocate for a while now.  it's kind of a bad habit, but anyway..   finally had a bad package experience.  apparently something broke in my package on the way to my trader.  really fucking bummed.  was a NICE package.  now i'm gonna have to send again, all new beer.  UPS discarded the whole package apparently (i.e., one bottle must have broken and they opened it and kept the rest). 

how you like me now?

Damn, dude.  Quite the pick-up for someone on the west coast.

I drank my bottle of Hunahpu with a friend last Sunday.  To be honest I thought it was a little to indulgent for me.  Even after splitting the bottle I had to give a little more away.  Didn't expect the cinnamon to dominate so much.  Tasted like a liquid, chocolate-covered cinnamon roll.  If it was sold in individual 8-12 oz bottles I would make an effort to seek it out yearly, but I personally don't think it's worth $20 for a 750mL.

UL8

• Rep: 29
« Reply #1985 on: March 24, 2014, 11:30:16 AM »

totally agree about 4/20.  i actually dumped the last part of mine.  and i LOVE these beers usually and loved the last one.  thought it was just way too onioney (i guess that's how people would describe it).  just really sharp and one dimensional.  not dank and delicious like the last one
I was gonna get one of these, but after reading these comments I decided against doing so. Instead, I went with the Mission St Ipa from Trader Joes, pretty tasty and easy on the wallet at $5.99 a sixer.

max power

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1986 on: March 24, 2014, 08:43:44 PM »
the mission st beers are made by firestone walker. good stuff.

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #1987 on: March 24, 2014, 10:36:21 PM »
Dang did not know that! ^ will definitely try one next time I'm in a TJ.
Started the day with a fresh Pliny brewed less than two weeks ago.

This was good, but I thought Lagunitas Daytime was better but my Go To was so cold I might have been missing out on some flavor.

This was really good. Reminded me a lot of Double Jack, will definitely be buying again.

Drinking this right now, just as good as last time. It says "keep refrigerated - live ale" on the bottle (but this was not refrigerated at bevmo) anyone know what that means?
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1988 on: March 24, 2014, 10:38:33 PM »
Expand Quote
been doing a lot of trading on beeradvocate for a while now. �it's kind of a bad habit, but anyway.. � finally had a bad package experience. �apparently something broke in my package on the way to my trader. �really fucking bummed. �was a NICE package. �now i'm gonna have to send again, all new beer.� UPS discarded the whole package apparently (i.e., one bottle must have broken and they opened it and kept the rest).�

how you like me now?

[close]

Damn, dude.� Quite the pick-up for someone on the west coast.

I drank my bottle of Hunahpu with a friend last Sunday.� To be honest I thought it was a little to indulgent for me.� Even after splitting the bottle I had to give a little more away.� Didn't expect the cinnamon to dominate so much.� Tasted like a liquid, chocolate-covered cinnamon roll.� If it was sold in individual 8-12 oz bottles I would make an effort to seek it out yearly, but I personally don't think it's worth $20 for a 750mL.

had my first Huna a few months ago and was blown away.  i can see saying it's not worth 20, but yeah, it's a fucking epic beer in my opinion.  for me it is the perfect blend of spice and cinnamon.  the one i had was over a year old so maybe the cinnamon had mellowed?  don't know.  everyone has different tastes.  

heard nothing but good thing about Double Barrel Huna so had to try.  i'm lucky now to have an awesome AWESOME regular trader in FL now.  in a perfect world i would have an awesome person like this in every area i'm interested in .    that said, trading is kind of a jerk off.   it's a hobby.  i'm interested in trying beers i read about etc..  it's like a never ending rabbit hole of chasing world class beers.   at the end of the day, pretty much most people have great beer in their own backyard.  i could easily just drink local CA beer and be a happy camper for the rest of my life.  

but, i'm curious

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1989 on: March 24, 2014, 10:40:38 PM »

Drinking this right now, just as good as last time. It says "keep refrigerated - live ale" on the bottle (but this was not refrigerated at bevmo) anyone know what that means?

i'm guessing they mean it's bottle conditioned.  don't know.  all ipas should be refrigerated regardless.   how is it?

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #1990 on: March 25, 2014, 01:25:45 AM »
its really good man ^, as ive said in here before, their 3 Flowers IPA was really good too. had a super fresh 90 minute from Dogfish and it was too malty for my liking. drinking a Dale's Pale Ale right now with this salami lettuce wrap bout to catch up on skate vids, cheers homies.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

max power

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1991 on: March 25, 2014, 07:08:48 AM »
the marin brewing beers i've had were great. i wasn't expecting much, but was pleasantly surprised.

mattofallmatts

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -110
  • "I will not skateboard in the halls"
« Reply #1992 on: March 27, 2014, 12:35:37 AM »
If y'all haven't had it yet, you go got the Iron Springs Casey Jones DIPA.

Just terrible label BUT a double that contends with Pliny and other heavy hitters.

Also.... I AM NOW THE BUYER FOR ALBANY TAPROOM. 32 TAPS AND 200 BOTTLES. FUUUUUCKKKKKK! Skate career done. So fucking stoked and lucky and happy and overwhelmed. I'm going to need some help for sure. If there are bay area pals, LET'S KICK IT AND DRINK GOOD BEER!

dillanharp

« Reply #1993 on: March 27, 2014, 12:40:55 AM »
^ I like you Matt, but nobody ever goes to Albany.  Every time I'm on that stretch of 80, I want to kill myself.  Come to SJ.

That Stone Best by 4:20 suuuuucked, thanks Tangar for the hook though. I just liked it because it was over 9% and I'm an alcoholic. 

Andrew

• Rep: -10
« Reply #1994 on: March 27, 2014, 07:54:17 PM »

New to me, as is Victory in general. Just started getting it around here. Bottled Feb 27th based on their apparent 5-month "Best By" dating. Really citrusy, super easy-drinking. I'm not the biggest fan of overly citrusy IPAs but I enjoy them when I have them.

Also picked up the SN 4-Way Pack. I liked them all- black IPA was definitely roasty and definitely hoppy, snow wit was a nice Belgian IPA, and Nooner comes off as a light Torpedo to me. And I'm a huge fan of Torpedo.

Found a bunch of FIS last Monday so I got to restock.

Most of my menu for the next week. The Two Hearted was bottled on the 4th  ;D And my first go with the new Fresh Squeezed (different than the bombers last fall). Undercover Shut-Down is one of my favorite beers from Lagunitas, and Curmudgeon is one of my favorites from Founders.

Cheers
ieatemochilds

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #1995 on: March 28, 2014, 01:03:37 AM »

Super good.

Very similar to the Maharaja just maybe not as carbonated or not as much bite. still good.
 definitely gonna keep an eye out for the fresh squeezed, and gotta re-try the Undercover. I tried it last year but i think my palllet changed a lot since then.
and Matt, definitely come to SJ, i have a couch you can crash one as long as you dont act a fool.

max power

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1996 on: March 30, 2014, 07:35:01 PM »
had a nice trip to santa rosa today. the growlers are pliny and row 2, hill 56 pale ale. had a bunch of great stuff there, too.

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #1997 on: March 30, 2014, 08:58:02 PM »
^ as much as I like pliny, I loooove blind pig. It's my Friday so I'll be back in a bit posting.

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #1998 on: March 31, 2014, 02:09:06 AM »
tried enjoy by 4/20 again and it was better the second time around, more hop flavor.

amazing for a pilsner, almost tasted like a saison. homie that works at whole foods got his hands on this one.

very similar to the Maharaja. super good, bottled the day before my bday 2/25/14

Pliny, yum!

expected this one to be very malty according to the duede at Wine Club but it was super smooth and delicious.

good, im tired.

HIHB

« Reply #1999 on: March 31, 2014, 03:08:25 AM »
My daily go to: Tecate

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 167
« Reply #2000 on: March 31, 2014, 06:08:33 AM »

Cracked one of these last night. Super good.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

okdad

• Rep: 16
« Reply #2001 on: March 31, 2014, 07:23:51 AM »
[/URL]
This was good, but I thought Lagunitas Daytime was better but my Go To was so cold I might have been missing out on some flavor.
Nah, that's just how Go To is. The nose is deceiving. I was pretty disappointed by it as well. I've not tried DayTime, how does it compare to Founders All Day?
Who are you to judge what kinds of cocks he wants to suck?

Stoop Kid 2.0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -312
  • I still fucking hate hipsters.
« Reply #2002 on: March 31, 2014, 07:32:07 AM »
Has anyone been able to get KBS in store yet? The wait is killing me. Also has anyone been collecting the Game of Thrones beers?

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2003 on: March 31, 2014, 07:47:10 AM »
Has anyone been able to get KBS in store yet? The wait is killing me. Also has anyone been collecting the Game of Thrones beers?

isn't kbs one of those beers that pretty much sells out within minutes?  i doubt you'll see it on shelves, but i hope you do

Stoop Kid 2.0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -312
  • I still fucking hate hipsters.
« Reply #2004 on: March 31, 2014, 07:53:15 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

isn't kbs one of those beers that pretty much sells out within minutes??  i doubt you'll see it on shelves, but i hope you do

Yeah it sells out really quick. Im friends with the bartender at this craft beer bar, and hes getting a keg Kbs on the 14th. Hes going to let me get a growler of it which is really generous. I want to hopefully get a bottle or two to have for special occasions. I was lucky enough to get Backwoods Bastard this year, so im hoping im lucky enough to get Kbs

Fine Young Cannibal

• Rep: 49
« Reply #2005 on: March 31, 2014, 03:23:22 PM »
I was lucky enough to get two bottle of KBS yesterday.  I think most distributors around my way don't even have it yet.  Probably gonna get it sometime this week.

Also was able to snag a can of Heady Topper in the process.  I can't tell if the quality is falling off or I'm just not that into it anymore, but the last few cans I've had have been lackluster.  Still great, but certainly not "best beer in the world" great.

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #2006 on: April 01, 2014, 01:03:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[/URL]
[close]
Nah, that's just how Go To is. The nose is deceiving. I was pretty disappointed by it as well. I've not tried DayTime, how does it compare to Founders All Day?
I've only had one can of All Day but I liked Daytime better. Need to revisit All Day tho. I want to have all the new session IPAs side by side and hopefully I can include All Day in that.

Jack

• Rep: 39
« Reply #2007 on: April 01, 2014, 04:25:53 PM »
you guys realize that those glasses look like buttplugs right?

Paging GAY.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 167
« Reply #2008 on: April 01, 2014, 07:27:38 PM »
Finally got some KBS. On tap to boot.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

max power

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2009 on: April 01, 2014, 10:55:58 PM »
Finally got some KBS. On tap to boot.
it's good, but i wouldn't lose my shit over it. there's better beers out there that aren't as hard to get. if you do get some, aging it is not a good idea.