Author Topic: How can skateboarders golf?  (Read 11537 times)

stevedave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 99
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: How can skateboarders golf?
« Reply #150 on: April 13, 2022, 09:17:43 AM »
the thing about skating and golf is that they are very similar in the sense that it's you and an object, no help.  so you try over and over and over and over, and when you land that trick once, or hit a 280 yd drive, you get the same feeling.  and you want that feeling of accomplishment again, so you keep doing it.  the same could be said for fishing.  cast 100s of times to catch 1 fish.  i too, have transitioned into fishing and golf as I can't skate as much anymore.
"See you are like Mark David Chapman and my posts are John Lennon. You having nothing to offer so the best you can do is try to assassinate my beautiful posts. My Dental Plan is Strawberry fields and you are a sexually frustrated fat man."  ---NigNogNooo---

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 804
« Reply #151 on: April 13, 2022, 10:09:55 AM »
golf is actually very chill and fun.  its like playing a game of pool while taking a leisurely walk over 18 football fields with little obstacles and wildlife everywhere.  similar to skating in that you're using physics to conquer your environment and the people that obsess over it are usually dipshits.  think of it like slow, boring skateboarding with your arms instead of your legs.  the older you get, the more you'll appreciate slow and boring. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #152 on: April 16, 2022, 02:16:11 PM »
Watching Mike Mo (alter ego) push through the pain to lose against Koston in latest Berrics really made my heart go out for him.  I'm not sure if he's a golfer but maybe that would provide him some outlet if the board is too much pain.  Golf courses don't result in pain to the body.  I had a great time at the range today and can't wait to go out this week.

LostBearings

• Rep: -6
« Reply #153 on: April 16, 2022, 04:28:09 PM »
Worked at a private golf course for some time after graduating. Could play for free on mondays and only had to pay for a cart at other courses. My second year there I ended up buying an old set off craigslist for cheap from a man who could hardly walk anymore and started hitting with some friends. Flushing a shot feels and sounds amazing, like landing a flat ground trick bolts. Over time I ended up getting homie flow'd a newer set and other some other clubs from the pros in the shop which made things even less costly and I was hooked.

Was a pretty sweet gig honestly, get good tips to work with some cool people and occasionally really bust your ass. Of course you're going to have the stereotypical country club asshat but we'd just kook them and laugh about them later on. Worked outside and met some interesting characters from all walks of life. Since I've stopped working there however, I've found it harder to make the time for it. Still go a handful of times a year but I just can't justify spending 4+ hours golfing when skating is cheaper and more often than not less time consuming.

It is very similar to skating in certain aspects like others have stated. A very personal game where it's mostly you vs yourself. Professionals that work at your local don't make as much as you'd expect and in some cases get out even less than your average.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 237
« Reply #154 on: April 17, 2022, 07:23:55 AM »
Golf courses as we know them in America are objectively a dogshit waste of space and resources. Especially in places like Arizona and California where there are insane ongoing droughts.

I would be way less anti-golf if people played on more natural terrain that didn’t require enough industrial irrigation to feed a small country. I imagine that’s closer to the historical origins of golfing in like Scotland or wherever. But yeah, running a golf course in Palm Springs is up there with opening an indoor ski slope in Dubai— nothing but an acceleration of our already horrific descent into climate disaster.

Not hating on individuals who play, unless they’re in denial about what the sport really does to our planet. Obviously we’re all part of the problem, to one degree or another.

I played on my high school golf team for one season. I get the appeal of smoking some weed in the woods and chasing a ball around for a few hours, but overall I think the culture sucks.

And finally: It’s really funny to see some of the golf bros in this thread getting triggered by a little criticism.

CurbyPuckit

• Rep: -40
« Reply #155 on: April 17, 2022, 12:55:49 PM »
In my experience golf courses and country clubs are populated by the kind of people who despise skateboarding, its culture, and lifestyle. Conversely much of what skate culture mocks is celebrated in that "world".

I'm always puzzled and disappointed when I learn that great skateboarders enjoy that scene (esp Crailtap camp).How do the former EMB/venice pit crews tolerate spending all that time assimilating with the douchy republican BMW crowd?

The actual sport itself doesn't bother me though I find it pretty awful from an environmental and urban use standpoint.

You should try it.  Me and almost all of my skateboarding friends golf.  Load up your bag with beers, roll a couple joints, drive around in a little cart and hit some balls.  It’s extremely fun and therapeutic.

Bizarre that other people enjoying a hobby outside of skateboarding “bums you guys out”

TreBombMartin

• Rep: 31
« Reply #156 on: April 17, 2022, 01:02:07 PM »
Just play disc golf you cheap fucks. Plenty of trees, same level of enjoyment, same level of frustration.

thot juice

• Rep: -54
« Reply #157 on: April 18, 2022, 03:04:43 AM »
Playing 9 holes tomorrow.  Looking forward to trying out some new shoes.  I think golfers and skaters are pretty equally obsessed with their equipment and shoes.

nike runs a golf version of all the Jordan’s
https://images.app.goo.gl/Y2EZUWary8yaDs2QA

i’m extremely superficial so i just go to the gym plus there is way more GYM TRIM & I know ppl in the chechen mafia that would slit ur throat & drive a BMW u aint hard cus u take public transit

BobbyPshew

• Rep: -66
« Reply #158 on: April 18, 2022, 05:16:26 AM »
Lots of guys seem to golf when they aren't getting laid, for whatever reason.
Ron Don's Playpen-Home Of The $2 Lap Dance

cky enthusiast

« Reply #159 on: April 18, 2022, 06:42:11 AM »
people shedding tears about the environmental cost of golf would do a touchdown dance if they found out their township was gonna dump concrete all over a park so i think it’s a wash

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #160 on: April 18, 2022, 07:58:38 AM »
i would probably do it if i had the cash / time
i like tennis better. there are no free tournaments for that shit though
it is very hard to get into any of these sports as kids if your parents dont have tons of dough, lets be real
even hockey is very expensive

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 870
« Reply #161 on: April 18, 2022, 08:18:15 AM »
it is very hard to get into any of these sports as kids if your parents dont have tons of dough, lets be real
Prob need a lot of money if you want to get really good but I played golf a fair bit in 7th-10th grade because it was like $5 on the public courses. I played with shit clubs that were literally thirty years old tho maybe today's kids would just be like nah gross I don't know.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 237
« Reply #162 on: April 18, 2022, 09:17:39 AM »
people shedding tears about the environmental cost of golf would do a touchdown dance if they found out their township was gonna dump concrete all over a park so i think it’s a wash
bro, the average skatepark is like 1/20th the size of a golf course and doesn't require constant irrigation.

Dong Hanglo

• Rep: 34
« Reply #163 on: April 21, 2022, 02:38:38 AM »
Golfers are a bunch of hillbillys and cunts.

Hevonen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
« Reply #164 on: April 21, 2022, 03:55:15 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Prob need a lot of money if you want to get really good but I played golf a fair bit in 7th-10th grade because it was like $5 on the public courses. I played with shit clubs that were literally thirty years old tho maybe today's kids would just be like nah gross I don't know.
Good thing about golf is that pretty much every middle class guy has bought a set at some point in their life, and those who actually play might have a half a dozen sets lying around, so you can always get used clubs for really cheap. Clubs also last for a long time and don't evolve much. I play a decent amount and had a set of irons for 15 years and got a new used se last year for $60. Putter I've had for 15 years and driver for 10 years and they're still good. Got a pro level fairway wood from 2001 for $5 and I hit it as far as today's clubs.

I don't know how it is in the states, but in Finland most cities have courses where you can get unlimited play for around $500 a season, so it's not that much if you actually play a decent amount. When I was a kid it was like $100, so it was actually one if the cheapest sports to start. But that of course depends on what kind of courses you have near by.

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #165 on: June 07, 2022, 08:18:09 AM »
Good to see Manolo out on the links with remixes and cuts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=VvycSW8E2X0

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #166 on: June 07, 2022, 11:30:04 AM »
Golf is fun. Whether or not that justifies the the amount of wasted water and resources to maintain courses is another thing but I have no dog in the fight.

Recently been disc golfing and it's a ton of fun (even though I know most people think it sounds lame). There's a ton of different discs that all fly different and a ton of different techniques. Throwing one just right so it curves around trees and shit is awesome.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -222
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #167 on: June 07, 2022, 02:34:27 PM »
Because the GTI’s are great cars that still come with a manual transmission. That’s why lots of skaters Golf.

2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #168 on: June 28, 2022, 09:39:18 AM »
Finally a video that attempts to answer the question of this thread.

Some nice Jersey crust and putts