Author Topic: Grad School?  (Read 14129 times)

max power

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Grad School?
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2011, 07:00:55 PM »
he's just venturing deeper into the scholar gold mines and doesn't have time for this message board business, that's all.

Prison Wallet

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
  • I'm gonna break my leg off in your ass
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2011, 07:40:58 PM »
Studying for the GRE hahahahahah.

Belligerent Irish Cop

• Rep: -276
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2011, 07:42:16 PM »
thank god.  we should send this thread to all the universities he's applying to, so they can all see what a stuck-up shit-turd he is and reject him.  it'll be like when whoever worked for DLX got on the nick rix thread and said that no one would ever sponsor him now that everyone knew how lame he was.

do you even know who he is

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2011, 08:10:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Mandible Claw, I know this question is the worst but... what do you intend to do with a masters in creative writing?
[close]

skate a lot, be poor, bang artsy chicks

Expand Quote
also, how's being in the same dept. as jonathan safran foer? his books are ill!
[close]

i'm working with him right now, he's a really nice guy, but is also just kind of your standard stuck-up vegan.  i am way more stoked on working with zadie smith and e.l. fucking doctorow.
That shit is what makes grad school ill. Once you get in the grad division you really get to know the professors, not just see a bunch of their lectures.
Ethnic was awesomely regular.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Exile on MainSt.

« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2011, 08:14:21 PM »
mandible claw is right about everything he said here. Fellowships are given to grad school students all the time. Little ethnic song wasn't offered any, but it was probably more about him than the schools. I've gotten my whole ride paid for and am actually making money at a job I have for my research, so in the end I am actually profiting off of my masters immediately.

Really? What should you do to get a fellowship?  I don't even start college until fall, but I think that I want to go for a masters. I'm just concerned about the debt/payment of grad school. And damn, that's crazy mandible, I'm actually about to start reading "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close".

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -602
  • who knows
« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2011, 08:23:12 PM »

mandible claw is right about everything he said here. Fellowships are given to grad school students all the time. Little ethnic song wasn't offered any, but it was probably more about him than the schools. I've gotten my whole ride paid for and am actually making money at a job I have for my research, so in the end I am actually profiting off of my masters immediately.
where is home?

RevertEverything

• Rep: 18
« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2011, 08:37:19 PM »
I have been trying to catch up on this thread, but alittleethnicsong's  insanely longwinded asinine posts have made it extremely difficult.

Going along with what Mandible and other have said, you absolutely can get money for a masters. I personally had a significant chunk of my masters tuition paid for. Not a full ride, but definitely enough for me to only have minimal debt now that I am out.

You absolutely should feel passionate about whatever you are  to graduate school for, because it will definitely consume your life (for better or worse). I am extremely happy I got it and it has paid off, but there were times when it completely destroyed my life.

TheFifthColumn

• Rep: -113
« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2011, 08:45:50 PM »
    Glad that dude is gone - he approached everybody with this "I'm more intelligent and knowledgeable than you" mindset, when in reality all he did was cloak poorly though out ideas in grandiloquence and verbosity.

You notice that every time he made an argument, he always name dropped an author of a book he read as opposed to citing an example in his life - that's because he lacked real world experience: he read radical, plutophobic, Marxist literature and formed extremist opinions that had no correlation to the real world.  That's why he was stockpiling weapons for imminent class warfare... he was a nutcase.

daniel

• Rep: 35
« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2011, 09:06:34 PM »
I'll miss that self-described nutty old hessian.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2011, 10:24:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Really? What should you do to get a fellowship?  I don't even start college until fall, but I think that I want to go for a masters. I'm just concerned about the debt/payment of grad school. And damn, that's crazy mandible, I'm actually about to start reading "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close".
Sometimes you can apply for it, other times you can talk to the school after you are accepted. The best time is before you commit. A lot of times it depends on the program, sometimes they have enough that they will just offer it to you, and pretty much everybody. Other times, there isn't much and almost nobody gets it, it really depends on the program and its endowment.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Mouth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2011, 12:22:13 AM »
OK--once again those of you who are fragile, have turned a thread into a thread about me, which means I'm bored, and will let you run with it.

We're talking about something that one's grades and distinctions make every bit of difference, so every time I have mentioned my own, they have been in the context of whatever point I was trying to illustrate.

Mouth, after a few exchanges with you, it does not surprise me that you're lost. Good luck with that.

Well, that was easy enough.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 12:30:09 AM by Mouth »
'No Mouth, you have a negative rep because you are a fan of growing your wealth off of the backs of low paid workers and brag about having bodyguards. You literally kook people for doing charity in South East Asia. Don't deny it.'

Omamori

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2011, 02:42:33 PM »
Expand Quote
You know there's a lot of Meth in Pocatello, right? I know a few people that went to ISU. You from Idaho or just like their grad program?
I lived in an area with a lot of drugs, I'll be alright. How did they like ISU? Naw, I was born in California...I like their program for many reasons.

Belligerent Irish Cop

• Rep: -276
« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2011, 04:40:02 PM »
Ok. I'm from Idaho and now going to school in Cali. I don't really them them all that well, one got in on a football scholarship, the other couldn't afford the second year. I don't know, most of my friends went to Boise state instead so I don't know a lot about ISU.
My other friend deferred from ISU and now I think he wants to go to Northern Arizona U.

sorry I don't know a ton about it. I know their swimming pool isn't that nice. I guess it could be nice that two interstates go through there.

You're not one of the Nuclear Engineers are you? my friend who deferred wanted to study that. If I wanted to stay in Idaho I probably would have tried to do that at first, too.

When deciding between schools one should always consider the condition of the swimming pool.

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1622
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2011, 11:45:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Ok. I'm from Idaho and now going to school in Cali. I don't really them them all that well, one got in on a football scholarship, the other couldn't afford the second year. I don't know, most of my friends went to Boise state instead so I don't know a lot about ISU.
My other friend deferred from ISU and now I think he wants to go to Northern Arizona U.

sorry I don't know a ton about it. I know their swimming pool isn't that nice. I guess it could be nice that two interstates go through there.

You're not one of the Nuclear Engineers are you? my friend who deferred wanted to study that. If I wanted to stay in Idaho I probably would have tried to do that at first, too.
[close]

When deciding between schools one should always consider the condition of the swimming pool.

hahahaha I remember my roommate saying he was bummed there wasn't a jacuzzi in the apartments on campus, I told him he is out of his fucking mind if he thinks that a college water pool would be remotely okay to go in.  Makes me shudder just thinking about it
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #74 on: May 31, 2011, 11:11:53 AM »
Now I am about to write my "statement of purpose/intent" thing.  Up until recently, I feel school has tried to get me to write with great verbosity and in great complexity.  Professional writing is the complete opposite of that.  Do I write straight and to the point for the statement of purpose?  I am guessing they will garner info about my writing abilities from the GRE score. 

Never forget:

Kab

• Rep: -38
« Reply #75 on: May 31, 2011, 03:58:11 PM »
Now I am about to write my "statement of purpose/intent" thing.  Up until recently, I feel school has tried to get me to write with great verbosity and in great complexity.  Professional writing is the complete opposite of that.  Do I write straight and to the point for the statement of purpose?  I am guessing they will garner info about my writing abilities from the GRE score. 

Be direct and personal - don't try to bullshit. Remember, you're speaking to another human being, and most people will appreciate honesty. Try to tell a story about yourself.
Down by the river...

daniel

« Reply #76 on: May 31, 2011, 06:38:44 PM »

Brevity is key.

Prison Wallet

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2011, 07:49:01 PM »
Pugmaster what's your area of study? Definitely keep it brief but I think whatever field you're going for will determine how personal and reflective it is vs. nuts and bolts down to earth.

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #78 on: May 31, 2011, 08:29:21 PM »
Pugmaster what's your area of study? Definitely keep it brief but I think whatever field you're going for will determine how personal and reflective it is vs. nuts and bolts down to earth.

Communication disorders, and more specifically, speech and language pathology

Never forget:

Prison Wallet

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #79 on: May 31, 2011, 08:42:09 PM »
That's definitely a field that'd lend itself to a little personal reflection. If I were you I'd reflect on your personal interests, experiences, ability, and values that make SLP a good fit for you. Show some self awareness and let your program know it's a thought-out area of focus.

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #80 on: May 31, 2011, 08:46:52 PM »
thanks again everyone!  Its nice to know that I can come to SLAP not only for genitalia laden photographs and to read about highly questionable sexual endeavors, but for sound academic advice as well.

Never forget:

mandibleclaw

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 560
  • "RIP to myself one day." -jereme rogers
    • mandible claw avatar image
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #81 on: May 31, 2011, 10:41:53 PM »
just tell them your rep is positive on SLAP
We are a noble sport more noble than any other

Mouth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #82 on: June 01, 2011, 06:01:50 AM »
The advice here is solid. The ideas and rationales in your response are far more important than the way in which they are expressed.

And as Orwell and subsequently, the Economist style guide suggest, 'Never use a long word, when a short word will do.'

Besides, you'll just end up sounding like a pompous ass.
'No Mouth, you have a negative rep because you are a fan of growing your wealth off of the backs of low paid workers and brag about having bodyguards. You literally kook people for doing charity in South East Asia. Don't deny it.'

BarcelonaCEO

• Rep: -24
« Reply #83 on: June 01, 2011, 06:31:58 AM »
I'm studying psychology, this week I haven't showed up in class yet. I'm doing drugs, chilling in the bar drinking, it's like I have shit to do but I don't take it seriously, and it's all good. Life worth living, if you worry you miss half of the spectrum of joy of college. And all that without picking up my skateboard, having to re-learn fs feebles on rails is a risk and I deal with it

Prison Wallet

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #84 on: June 01, 2011, 07:25:22 AM »
The ideas and rationales in your response are far more important than the way in which they are expressed.

I don't know man, you're making that shit sound mutually exclusive. Really you need to have good ideas and organize/express it well.

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #85 on: June 01, 2011, 09:28:06 AM »
haha maybe I will apply to some random schools just for fun and write my statement using only five letter words or less, in a sentence of a maximum of 4 words.  it might fly.

"I like your skool.  Skool is good. I feel happy, yes. I know good stuff."

But yeah you're right I will tone it down so its not a novel and so I don't end up sounding like mike tyson.

haha you better believe I am listing my SLAP rep under the "achievement" category on the application.

Never forget:

Mouth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #86 on: June 01, 2011, 09:38:23 AM »
I guess my point was it's best not to use words like 'antidisestablishmentarianism' unless you have good reason to. I'd imagine the people reviewing these things see hundreds of superfluous applications that sound intelligent on the surface, but lack any real substance. To make an impact, it's best to focus on having a genuine idea or purpose and express it in simple terms.

Doctor Handsome

• Rep: 4
  • Doctor Handsome
« Reply #87 on: June 01, 2011, 01:09:09 PM »
Quote from: daniel  link=topic=50349.msg1369770#msg1369770 date=1296452296
I observed and heard it said by professors, that 4.0 students are often not the sharpest, just well adept at kissing dick, taking themselves too seriously and jumping through hoops. Bravo.

I agree. I don't believe a person's GPA is correlated to their intelligence.
I'm drunk.

daniel

« Reply #88 on: June 01, 2011, 09:33:47 PM »
I guess my point was it's best not to use words like 'antidisestablishmentarianism' unless you have good reason to. I'd imagine the people reviewing these things see hundreds of superfluous applications that sound intelligent on the surface, but lack any real substance. To make an impact, it's best to focus on having a genuine idea or purpose and express it in simple terms.

^  !

Post your draft & we'll give it a look over.

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #89 on: June 01, 2011, 10:52:50 PM »
Definitely.  I have a meeting with one of my professors tomorrow and finals on monday and tuesday.  After that I will for sure.

Never forget: