Author Topic: Security guard beaten at SF Black Rock  (Read 373355 times)

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
Re: Security guard beaten at SF Black Rock
« Reply #1890 on: April 28, 2021, 07:14:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I asked 4 questions not 3. not one was directed at you homie. Nah bless
[close]

One of your questions was a statement you put a question mark at the end of
[close]
But the other 3 questions you avoid? I just don’t get it. You seem to know these people personally.

Check above a wee bit closer

mushroom slice

« Reply #1891 on: April 28, 2021, 07:18:24 PM »
?

DannyDee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #1892 on: April 28, 2021, 07:25:54 PM »
Thrasher being named in the lawsuit was predictable as hell.

inkandimages

• Rep: 131
« Reply #1893 on: April 28, 2021, 08:13:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

This is absolutely abhorrent. The fact that 5,309 people liked this is making me sick to my stomach. Can you imagine if some NHL player beat someone into a coma with their hockey stick? Or an MLB athlete used their bat to give someone brain damage? Why Thrasher even continues to back GX is mind boggling. Why the industry hasn't called out Thrasher and GX is just gross. Shame on all of them. Disgusting fools and assholes. I really hope they are all held accountable.
[close]
GX was definitely called out when it went down and JV went to jail. Not really sure how Thrasher is responsible - are they responsible for anything that a skater does in video or mag? Is converse responsible since dela was there? I get why they are included in the lawsuit but the lawyer gets paid to get the client paid so they go after the deepest pockets.

Can you elaborate on how GX was “called out”? That isn’t really the same as being legally held accountable.

This shitbag went to jail because he couldn’t post bail during his trial — he wasn’t sentenced to any time as punishment for his crime. And yes, this was assault with a deadly weapon. Call me judge and jury, but he should be in jail as punishment. To be held accountable for his actions that have had permanent and lifelong impact on another human being.

Thrasher promotes these assholes. Thrasher funds and publicizes them. So yeah, Thrasher should be held accountable as well. Why was it so important for them to stay at that spot? What was their ultimate purpose for wanting to skate it sooo fucking badly that they felt entitled to beat another human being on the head with their boards? Think about that. Think about the answers to that. And yeah, the other scumbag and Cons should absolutely be held accountable. Seems like he got off for some reason. They have stated behind closed doors that they have no remorse. Fucking demons. That is some next level depravity. KIDS wasn’t cool then and that shitty scumbaggy dirty next level disregard for other human beings isn’t cool now.

mushroom slice

« Reply #1894 on: April 28, 2021, 08:21:48 PM »
Ummm Thrasher pays for this website. Basically thrasher pays for your soap box. I dunno. Food for thought.

iwishilivedinfinla

« Reply #1895 on: April 28, 2021, 08:23:58 PM »
hard to ever look at Dela the same

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1088
« Reply #1896 on: April 28, 2021, 08:26:26 PM »
Ummm Thrasher pays for this website. Basically thrasher pays for your soap box. I dunno. Food for thought.

When someone asks "Why hasn't the industry called out Thrasher," the answer is because Thrasher is the industry.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #1897 on: April 28, 2021, 08:40:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

This is absolutely abhorrent. The fact that 5,309 people liked this is making me sick to my stomach. Can you imagine if some NHL player beat someone into a coma with their hockey stick? Or an MLB athlete used their bat to give someone brain damage? Why Thrasher even continues to back GX is mind boggling. Why the industry hasn't called out Thrasher and GX is just gross. Shame on all of them. Disgusting fools and assholes. I really hope they are all held accountable.
[close]
GX was definitely called out when it went down and JV went to jail. Not really sure how Thrasher is responsible - are they responsible for anything that a skater does in video or mag? Is converse responsible since dela was there? I get why they are included in the lawsuit but the lawyer gets paid to get the client paid so they go after the deepest pockets.
While it's in a ton of things outside of Thrasher related to skating. Just looking at videos they choose to post and air (like someone on GX1000 backlipping into a female security guard in Roll Up), they own the GX1000 copyrite, and their owner was an executive producer, you could argue they either condoned or encouraged having a confrontation with security guards in the process of getting footage for their website. How much of Thrasher's marketing is being "punk rock" and not respecting authority?

Let's put it this way, if any Nike SB skater was involved in an incident like this, a video Nike had confrontations with security in it (and it was a well-established pattern), you are damn right they'd be getting sued.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1329
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #1898 on: April 28, 2021, 08:46:43 PM »
Dan Jensen fractured his skull when he fell backwards onto it. Not trying to cape for these goons at all but the story that they hit him with their boards continues to persist and I think mischaracterizes the situation. They should 100% left the spot when they started to pull the barriers closed.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

inkandimages

« Reply #1899 on: April 28, 2021, 09:11:51 PM »

Ummm Thrasher owned Slap and Juxtaposed but no clue if they are funding my “soap box.” Tell me how that’s relevant, please. Oh wait, I’ll answer for you — it’s not. Your argument is baseless and it seems like you’re just trying to stir the pot based on your other flame throwing comments.

Calling individuals out for their disastrous and destructive and extremely violent behaviors is not just being on a soap box. Calling out the organizations that sponsor and encourage the behavior is also not being on a soap box. Maybe you’re cool with it all — sweet, bro. Pass me a board so I can beat the shit out of your dad/grandpa/brother/son because hey, I’m filled with some anger and rage and god forbid they’re in my way  just trying to do their job. LET ME SKATE MY SPOT. I DESERVE MY CLIP. ALL HAIL THE FUCKING THRASHER GODS. I’M GONNA BE KING OF THE ROAD/SOTY/HAVE THE MOST VIEWS AND I DGAF! I AM PUNK ROCK! I AM SO MAINSTREAM NOW BUT STILL A G! SO GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY WAY. Fuck that noise. Have you no decency? Empathy? This is some disturbing shit.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1900 on: April 28, 2021, 09:19:07 PM »
Dan Jensen fractured his skull when he fell backwards onto it. Not trying to cape for these goons at all but the story that they hit him with their boards continues to persist and I think mischaracterizes the situation. They should 100% left the spot when they started to pull the barriers closed.

How did he fall?   I didn’t watch because that didn’t seem like something I needed to see

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1901 on: April 28, 2021, 10:02:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

How did he fall?   I didn’t watch because that didn’t seem like something I needed to see
This is all from the GX angle on the NYT article and is my interpretation of how things went down.

Dela bails a back 50 as Dan Jensen walks up to him. Dela stands on top of the ledge and they exchange a few words. Jensen bends down and throws Delas board into the street and Dela comes off the ledge, shoving Jensen. They square up, Jensen takes a swing at Dela and then kicks him. The camera misses the moment but it looks like Dela shoved Jensen, causing him to fall backwards and just miss hitting his head on the ledge. While he is down, Jesse throws Jensen's walkie-talkie down the sidewalk. The filmer offers Jensen a hand up which he refuses. Jensen then charges Jesse. Jesse holds his board in both hands, then switches it to his right. It arcs upward over Jensen's head, looking like he might have tried to use it to hit him but Jensen grabs his arms and it falls to the side. Another person in the crew who I don't immediately recognize steps in to pull them apart and, after the three struggle, Jensen falls backwards, hitting his head on the ground. Jensen is clearly out and everybody dips.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1902 on: April 28, 2021, 10:18:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
This is all from the GX angle on the NYT article and is my interpretation of how things went down.

Dela bails a back 50 as Dan Jensen walks up to him. Dela stands on top of the ledge and they exchange a few words. Jensen bends down and throws Delas board into the street and Dela comes off the ledge, shoving Jensen. They square up, Jensen takes a swing at Dela and then kicks him. The camera misses the moment but it looks like Dela shoved Jensen, causing him to fall backwards and just miss hitting his head on the ledge. While he is down, Jesse throws Jensen's walkie-talkie down the sidewalk. The filmer offers Jensen a hand up which he refuses. Jensen then charges Jesse. Jesse holds his board in both hands, then switches it to his right. It arcs upward over Jensen's head, looking like he might have tried to use it to hit him but Jensen grabs his arms and it falls to the side. Another person in the crew who I don't immediately recognize steps in to pull them apart and, after the three struggle, Jensen falls backwards, hitting his head on the ground. Jensen is clearly out and everybody dips.

(Everyone dipped to Mexico according to people who know them)

Thanks for the write-up.  Seems Dela is the main guy in this scene.   

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1903 on: April 28, 2021, 10:34:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

(Everyone dipped to Mexico according to people who know them)

Thanks for the write-up.  Seems Dela is the main guy in this scene.
Even then he looks mostly like he's trying to get away from the situation. Jensen is the only one throwing punches.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
« Reply #1904 on: April 29, 2021, 03:13:17 AM »
It's as easy as saying, "fuck of, kook" and leaving the minute Jensen throws the board into the street. I think Dela is largely responsible for it getting violent...

We all know there are systemic issues with cops and other figures of authority abusing their power. From your description of the footage, Jensen seemed eager to prove something and was aggressive,  like a lot of cops and security are. But Dela immediately shoved him when the board was tossed,  quickly matching that energy and kicking off the power struggle that never should have occurred. Instead of yelling at his friend to leave it alone, Jesse does act to further escalate the situation by kicking the walkie talkie. The guard should have had more self control and not charged at a group of young men holding skateboards, and I'm willing to bet he wasn't trained to try to beat up on skateboarders. However, if they had the sense to leave the spot, none of it would have happened.

We need to remember that these guys weren't just harassed for walking down the street. They were engaged in clearly prohibited activity, and no matter how good the clip is going to be, when it's time to stop it's time to stop. The confrontation is not worth it, even if it never moves past shouting. Skateboarding is not some terrible activity that needs to be squashed with hostility like it so often is, but until shit changes just keep it moving when the time comes.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1096
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #1905 on: April 29, 2021, 07:35:35 AM »
It's as easy as saying, "fuck of, kook" and leaving the minute Jensen throws the board into the street. I think Dela is largely responsible for it getting violent...

We all know there are systemic issues with cops and other figures of authority abusing their power. From your description of the footage, Jensen seemed eager to prove something and was aggressive,  like a lot of cops and security are. But Dela immediately shoved him when the board was tossed,  quickly matching that energy and kicking off the power struggle that never should have occurred. Instead of yelling at his friend to leave it alone, Jesse does act to further escalate the situation by kicking the walkie talkie. The guard should have had more self control and not charged at a group of young men holding skateboards, and I'm willing to bet he wasn't trained to try to beat up on skateboarders. However, if they had the sense to leave the spot, none of it would have happened.

We need to remember that these guys weren't just harassed for walking down the street. They were engaged in clearly prohibited activity, and no matter how good the clip is going to be, when it's time to stop it's time to stop. The confrontation is not worth it, even if it never moves past shouting. Skateboarding is not some terrible activity that needs to be squashed with hostility like it so often is, but until shit changes just keep it moving when the time comes.

Well said, Urtripping.

And always show respect to men and women of a certain age, even if that means you have to be the bigger person.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Red Eyed Swimmer

• Rep: 2
« Reply #1906 on: April 29, 2021, 09:07:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

Can you elaborate on how GX was “called out”? That isn’t really the same as being legally held accountable.

This shitbag went to jail because he couldn’t post bail during his trial — he wasn’t sentenced to any time as punishment for his crime. And yes, this was assault with a deadly weapon. Call me judge and jury, but he should be in jail as punishment. To be held accountable for his actions that have had permanent and lifelong impact on another human being.

Thrasher promotes these assholes. Thrasher funds and publicizes them. So yeah, Thrasher should be held accountable as well. Why was it so important for them to stay at that spot? What was their ultimate purpose for wanting to skate it sooo fucking badly that they felt entitled to beat another human being on the head with their boards? Think about that. Think about the answers to that. And yeah, the other scumbag and Cons should absolutely be held accountable. Seems like he got off for some reason. They have stated behind closed doors that they have no remorse. Fucking demons. That is some next level depravity. KIDS wasn’t cool then and that shitty scumbaggy dirty next level disregard for other human beings isn’t cool now.
But you see what you did there? You started being sick to your stomach about a post that happened prior to the incident and went on about people hitting with sticks and bats when the guard was NOT hit by a skateboard. It was extremely bad judgement by all parties. The skaters should have left and the guard should not have confronted them aggressively. It was on video so I'm guessing he wasn't convicted because the DA realized it was a mutual confrontation and not some random attack. Still thinking its on Thrasher is stretch - what if the clip goes to a Pizza or CONS edit, is Thrasher off the hook? If a skater is hurt during filming is the company responsible? 

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1907 on: April 29, 2021, 09:50:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
But you see what you did there? You started being sick to your stomach about a post that happened prior to the incident and went on about people hitting with sticks and bats when the guard was NOT hit by a skateboard. It was extremely bad judgement by all parties. The skaters should have left and the guard should not have confronted them aggressively. It was on video so I'm guessing he wasn't convicted because the DA realized it was a mutual confrontation and not some random attack. Still thinking its on Thrasher is stretch - what if the clip goes to a Pizza or CONS edit, is Thrasher off the hook? If a skater is hurt during filming is the company responsible?

I think it was a hung jury

inkandimages

« Reply #1908 on: April 29, 2021, 10:17:53 AM »

Even if the IG post was prior to the Black Rock incident, I stand by my feelings that the bloody sidewalk with a GX board next to it is gross and disgusting. Because sure, some skater could’ve fallen and gotten bloody, but I believe the implications of that post are glorifying violent and destructive behavior. Why do I feel this way? Because there is an established pattern of behavior with these specific brands that glorifies those type of actions. This wasn’t a one-off for these guys.

Also, this is about humanity. It’s about respect. Every one of us has a story. I think most of us are on the same page about Black Rock. But what narrative do we have to tell ourselves to be okay with these kinds of events? Ultimately it just gives skaters a bad name and hurts skateboarding. There is no happy ending to this particular story, but I wish that as a collective group of humans there was a more acceptable approach on how to behave and act — towards women, towards the people just trying to do their jobs, and more accountability.

Also, the jury was hung. He didn’t get acquitted. Big difference.

conqueso

« Reply #1909 on: April 29, 2021, 10:19:13 AM »
Where do you think the ego to be able to behave like that comes from? Being gassed up and protected by the mag of course. Something in the culture out there is pretty foul and if were being honest if these were some brown kids nobody ever heard of theyd be on a hellride straight to prison

inkandimages

« Reply #1910 on: April 29, 2021, 10:19:52 AM »

Very well said. Thank you.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #1911 on: April 29, 2021, 10:30:54 AM »
Where do you think the ego to be able to behave like that comes from? Being gassed up and protected by the mag of course. Something in the culture out there is pretty foul and if were being honest if these were some brown kids nobody ever heard of theyd be on a hellride straight to prison

This the same argument about violent music and video games.   That people wouldn't behave aggressively if these mediums didn't "display" or "glorify" violence

I think you have something correct about culture, but it isn't related to skateboarding and goes to the problem of america in general.  I mean UFC and MMA is one of the most discussed hobbies online these days...

excitableboy

• Rep: 92
« Reply #1912 on: April 29, 2021, 11:04:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This the same argument about violent music and video games.   That people wouldn't behave aggressively if these mediums didn't "display" or "glorify" violence

I think you have something correct about culture, but it isn't related to skateboarding and goes to the problem of america in general.  I mean UFC and MMA is one of the most discussed hobbies online these days...

Not sure it's quite the same argument, as violence in music and video games is strictly make-believe. Skate media do show and to an extent exalt real-life confrontation.

At the same time I'm also not sure this is a product of that. Dela is full-grown. He's not doing what he learned in videos is he. He appears to act wildly stupid all of his own accord; I doubt he has footage on his mind. Some security guard's mojo acts up and it gets to you, honestly? For having your board chucked? Calm down man. Militant security guards are tragicomedy. Laugh at them if you must - plenty of skate media do. Then leave.

conqueso

« Reply #1913 on: April 29, 2021, 11:11:28 AM »
No it’s literally nothing like mma. Majority of mma fighters in public are usually reserved and humble and would not need back up if an altercation would occur.
If these kids were skating black rock solo they probably would have listened to this man instead of disabling him for life.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #1914 on: April 29, 2021, 11:38:57 AM »
No it’s literally nothing like mma. Majority of mma fighters in public are usually reserved and humble and would not need back up if an altercation would occur.
If these kids were skating black rock solo they probably would have listened to this man instead of disabling him for life.

who said it was, I said people have a weird fascination for violence.  also why do MMA cats act like the what they do is like tea ceremonies.  This MMA shit is nothing like traditional martial arts, and is why Bruce lee got shit

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Not sure it's quite the same argument, as violence in music and video games is strictly make-believe. Skate media do show and to an extent exalt real-life confrontation.

At the same time I'm also not sure this is a product of that. Dela is full-grown. He's not doing what he learned in videos is he. He appears to act wildly stupid all of his own accord; I doubt he has footage on his mind. Some security guard's mojo acts up and it gets to you, honestly? For having your board chucked? Calm down man. Militant security guards are tragicomedy. Laugh at them if you must - plenty of skate media do. Then leave.

I dunno I've worked and skated around SF from 98-11 and got shit all the time so Im not sure why both sides get so heated.

Jagr

• Rep: 116

Jagr

• Rep: 116
« Reply #1916 on: April 29, 2021, 12:44:19 PM »
To me, one of the most sickening parts is that they all just ran. No one stayed to make sure he got help when he was obviously fucked up.

weregoingunion

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #1917 on: April 29, 2021, 02:12:58 PM »
I dunno I've worked and skated around SF from 98-11 and got shit all the time so Im not sure why both sides get so heated.

exactly. it's not like it was their first time there. they've skated black rock before and have gotten kicked out. they know how it goes.

they just don't give a fuck and it's apparent through the videos and shit you hear they don't. the entitlement in these guys is insane. like posting their van up in people's driveways blasting music and leaving beer cans in front, causing the next crew to deal with the heat caused by these guys. bars are still kinda closed so now they can't be like wallflowers anymore, creeping on all the women at oldies nite or at any of those small ass bars that get so packed they just post up outside all night. jesus, what a shitty vibe whenever these guys were around.

in the original security footage, you can see jansen setting up the barricades and then they're taking them away. of course jansen would be pissed the 2nd or 3rd time around. bully shit. then they dip to mexico for a while til it blows over like some scary-ass hoebois. now dela's living in sac scott-free and jesse's still skating on the low. funny how jamal was supposedly the one that called the ambulance, then got wrapped up in some shit himself. where's he at now, florida? throw yonnie (moved to la), al (hiding in ftc basement) & joogy (pizza box) in the mix and that whole group is toxic as fuck. it's no wonder that crew/scene is falling apart. "arrive. raise hell. leave." while everyone else is left to deal with their shit afterwards.

i mean, they shoulda left at this point:

instead, they chose to do this:

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/skateboard-attack-leaves-san-francisco-security-guard-with-brain-damage/2745/
r.i.p. bubblegum tate
LOAF FOREVER <3

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1918 on: April 29, 2021, 02:22:34 PM »
This has reached Lords of Chaos levels

GoneWithTheSchwinn

• Mods
  • Rep: -9957
« Reply #1919 on: April 29, 2021, 02:27:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Of all this, I am particularly interested, but not surprised, to find out that Thrasher owns GX whole cloth. Makes sense, when you consider that GX is becoming something of a skater streetwear brand right as Thrasher became a little too mainstream for some.
[close]

They likely own Atlantic Drift outright as well

GX started on Slap and moved to Thrasher, they own the name. Not sure about Atlantic Drift since they are selling their own gear separately from Thrasher.

BLACK LIVES MATTER
FUCK 12

"Watch out or the gazpacho police will get you!"