Author Topic: Mark Appleyard- Chromeball interview  (Read 8309 times)

Tiltmode Army Reservist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 22
  • RIP Ben Raemers
Re: Mark Appleyard- Chromeball interview
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2023, 07:15:04 PM »
Expand Quote
One of my all-time favorites. This was an excellent interview, and his story about being there when Arto switch front boardslid the Hollywood High 16 was great. I enjoyed Mark's quotes on PJ Ladd too.
[close]

Was the warm up on the 12 ever filmed?   That was still pretty good in the pre-Arto SOTY world.   (Fakie back lip a13 is a super underrated trick from that part)

I have no idea, but for Arto to do a few flatground kickflips and then suddenly decide he's ready to "warm up" with a switch front board down the 12, before trying it down the 16, is insane to me. It was wonderful to see that Mark was in awe of Arto and Rowley the same way the rest of us were, even though he could definitely hold his own in that group.
RIP Ben Raemers

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2023, 08:30:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
If you think Mike York was middle video you need to sit your ass down and review any of his footage from the 90's. He was a top tier street skater.
[close]

I'm a big Mike York fan, saw him skate a lot in person and bought product off of him at Pier 7, but there is no universe where he was ever a top tier street skater. Yeah he's got his crazy tre flick and could do some solid switch ledge tricks, but in terms of Pier 7 locals, he doesn't stack up to Lavar and Marcus McBride, Henry Sanchez, Rob Welsh, Karl Watson, JB Gillet, etc.

On topic, Apples never would have fit in on Girl. I'm glad he found his band with Arto and Geoff, and French Fred was the maestro pulling it all together. We are blessed these guys joined forces when they did.
[close]
I wouldn't call York mid-tier since the guy opened up both Chocolate Tour and Paco, which are too amazing videos. Like, he never had the skating to end a Crailtap video especially since he was pretty low impact compared to someone like Koston. But, when I think middle video, I think of guys buried with a forgettable part somewhere in the middle, not the guy relied upon to open the video.
[close]

I guess it all depends on how we’re defining top tier. When I hear that phrase I think of people who are in the conversation of best skaters at the time, and in terms of 90s skaters I find it hard to believe York would be mentioned. Top side of mid tier a more accurate description? York is solid, but if you were to take the pier 7 guys he’d be on the the b team with Lee Smith, Pat Washington, Brad Johnson, et al. Wasn’t thinking of it from the perspective of where in the video his parts were.
Yeah, fair enough, I thought he was being referred to as a middle part guy, generally a guy on a team whose parts getting buried in the middle of the video. York always delivered solid opening parts. I'd put him above the guys you listed just now, but yeah he's also not quite Welsh, Henry or Marcus, and Lavar was unreal but a very short run. But, Henry for example has one of the iconic parts on the 90s that exceeds almost all but maybe the 10 best pros from that era (were talking like Koston, Carroll, Daewon, and Guy as his contemporaries there for that style of skating).

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2023, 08:31:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
If you think Mike York was middle video you need to sit your ass down and review any of his footage from the 90's. He was a top tier street skater.
[close]

I'm a big Mike York fan, saw him skate a lot in person and bought product off of him at Pier 7, but there is no universe where he was ever a top tier street skater. Yeah he's got his crazy tre flick and could do some solid switch ledge tricks, but in terms of Pier 7 locals, he doesn't stack up to Lavar and Marcus McBride, Henry Sanchez, Rob Welsh, Karl Watson, JB Gillet, etc.

On topic, Apples never would have fit in on Girl. I'm glad he found his band with Arto and Geoff, and French Fred was the maestro pulling it all together. We are blessed these guys joined forces when they did.
[close]
I wouldn't call York mid-tier since the guy opened up both Chocolate Tour and Paco, which are too amazing videos. Like, he never had the skating to end a Crailtap video especially since he was pretty low impact compared to someone like Koston. But, when I think middle video, I think of guys buried with a forgettable part somewhere in the middle, not the guy relied upon to open the video.
[close]

I guess it all depends on how we’re defining top tier. When I hear that phrase I think of people who are in the conversation of best skaters at the time, and in terms of 90s skaters I find it hard to believe York would be mentioned. Top side of mid tier a more accurate description? York is solid, but if you were to take the pier 7 guys he’d be on the the b team with Lee Smith, Pat Washington, Brad Johnson, et al. Wasn’t thinking of it from the perspective of where in the video his parts were.
[close]
Yeah, fair enough, I thought he was being referred to as a middle part guy, generally a guy on a team whose parts getting buried in the middle of the video. York always delivered solid opening parts. I'd put him above the guys you listed just now, but yeah he's also not quite Welsh, Henry or Marcus, and Lavar was unreal but a very short run. But, Henry for example has one of the iconic parts on the 90s that exceeds almost all but maybe the 10 best pros from that era (were talking like Koston, Carroll, Daewon, and Guy as his contemporaries there for that style of skating).

As many times as I’ve seen Mouse, I couldn’t tell you the part order outside of the last two

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2023, 08:39:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

As many times as I’ve seen Mouse, I couldn’t tell you the part order outside of the last two
haha, I'm good at remembering first video parts but terrible after that until the Enders. I guess I view the opening part as generally shaping the video, and has often been used to show the big Am or young guy on the team. Funny you mention Mouse. Jeron was basically used for Girl like York was for Chocolate. Jeron opened up both Goldfish and Mouse. I find it's a key part of making a great video in opening strong.

I dunno, maybe I just find the first part always generlly pretty memorable, like Mike-Mo in Fully Flared, Westgate in Stay Gold, Apples in Sorry, Omar in Mindfield, Kalis in Time Code, Heath in This is Skateboarding, Marcus McBride in Trilogy, AVE in DC/Photo etc.

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 101
« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2023, 08:50:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

I’m gonna guess:
Jeron
Sheffey
Shared part with Gabriel Rodriguez and I forgot who, Castillo?
Tony Ferguson
Brother from a different mother skit
Mike York
Ben Sanchez
Shrunken Keenan skating with the boom box
Mike and Rick
Gino and Keenan
Rick riding in the woods
Koston
Guy?

Probably mostly wrong, but I know jeron has first part

Edit:
Wanted to add, Mike York’s part in mouse is one of my favorites in the video.  Fast lines with tons of pushing, always made me want to skate as a kid.  I’ll always remember he does a tre flip in a line into a little dip in the schoolyard, looked so sick to me for some reason
« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 08:57:32 PM by metchup »

ToshiroTownune

• Rep: 70
« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2023, 09:25:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Reading comprehension on my part. Saw the top tier part but somehow skipped the middle video. Apologies for taking this down a ranking route as I genuinely dig York and he always brought good vibes to the pier. He's got the pow in his tre flips that J Lee likes so much and I dig his most recent footage too. Man seems to be having a good time on his powell board and 215s.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2023, 01:34:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

I’m gonna guess:
Jeron
Sheffey
Shared part with Gabriel Rodriguez and I forgot who, Castillo?
Tony Ferguson
Brother from a different mother skit
Mike York
Ben Sanchez
Shrunken Keenan skating with the boom box
Mike and Rick
Gino and Keenan
Rick riding in the woods
Koston
Guy?

Probably mostly wrong, but I know jeron has first part

Edit:
Wanted to add, Mike York’s part in mouse is one of my favorites in the video.  Fast lines with tons of pushing, always made me want to skate as a kid.  I’ll always remember he does a tre flip in a line into a little dip in the schoolyard, looked so sick to me for some reason

Shamil Randle in that 3rd part.   Sheffey I should have def remembered, but late 30s brain.   Def know a ton of that soundtrack in order thanks to burned CDs

Eastcoastghostiii

• Rep: 2
« Reply #67 on: March 31, 2023, 06:31:30 AM »

Also completely forgot about that petty ad that Flip put out when he left for Element.

I tried looking for the Flip ad but couldn't find it.... what did they put in the ad?

Edit- thank you rawbertson. found it, sorry was not through my first coffee of the day..
« Last Edit: March 31, 2023, 11:49:44 AM by Eastcoastghostiii »

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2023, 06:45:41 AM »
Expand Quote

Also completely forgot about that petty ad that Flip put out when he left for Element.
[close]

I tried looking for the Flip ad but couldn't find it.... what did they put in the ad?

its in the chrome balled dude... it is geoff and david giving middle finger saying fuck off this isnt a retirement home tree hugger

I feel like we would have seen a lot more cool shit from him post flip if he was a legacy pro for Adidas. Globe and element never produced a lot of content during the 2010s. An apples mulhern edit?

he put out a lot of parts with globe though

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2023, 07:32:24 AM »

Maybe I'm just in an exceptionally good mood, or maybe the espresso I made with my sister in law's $800 Breville Barista Express is starting to kick in, but this ad is FLIPpin' hilarious.

Chromeball continues to be the best skateboarding website.

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2023, 01:58:30 PM »

Dr Hass

• Rep: 4
« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2023, 03:07:16 PM »

Maybe I'm just in an exceptionally good mood, or maybe the espresso I made with my sister in law's $800 Breville Barista Express is starting to kick in, but this ad is FLIPpin' hilarious.

Chromeball continues to be the best skateboarding website.

He don’t quite know what to do with his hands does he, there’s something iffy going on in this area

tadej Pog

• Rep: -527
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2023, 04:03:28 PM »
Yeah man. When Mouse and Chocolate tour dropped, to me and my friends, Mike York was a top tier skater.
Miss you Rusty Berings

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -388
« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2023, 04:10:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Great read.

IF -- big IF -- there's a Mount Rushmore of Canadian skateboarding he's on it. Along with McCrank, Howard and probably McKay.

Those Sorry videos were part of one of the greatest eras in skating. Early to mid-2000s was my childhood. And those guys at Flip were special. Especially for us non-Americans on the message boards.

Apples, Arto and Rowley defined those Sorry vids, in my opinion. Even with all the talent on that Flip roster.

Seeing him and McCrank and McKay and Howard in such huge videos -- Yeah Right, Sorry, DC video -- all made the dream as a Canadian kid that much realer.

Props Apples. And Placebo still hits to this day.
[close]

I'm subbing out McKay for Wade D. That man was the next up out of Canadia post 00s and fully delivered.
[close]

Canada skating Mount Ruchmore is - Rick Howard, Colin McKay, Appleyard and Wade Desarmo.

I dont really understand the hype around Rick McCrank, his skating is boring and his trick selection is very very limited.

🤔

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
« Reply #74 on: April 02, 2023, 12:17:01 PM »
Great interview. Love that Sorry/Really Sorry era of Flip.

TheFandangler

• Rep: 15
« Reply #75 on: April 03, 2023, 08:28:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Great read.

IF -- big IF -- there's a Mount Rushmore of Canadian skateboarding he's on it. Along with McCrank, Howard and probably McKay.

Those Sorry videos were part of one of the greatest eras in skating. Early to mid-2000s was my childhood. And those guys at Flip were special. Especially for us non-Americans on the message boards.

Apples, Arto and Rowley defined those Sorry vids, in my opinion. Even with all the talent on that Flip roster.

Seeing him and McCrank and McKay and Howard in such huge videos -- Yeah Right, Sorry, DC video -- all made the dream as a Canadian kid that much realer.

[close]

I'm subbing out McKay for Wade D. That man was the next up out of Canadia post 00s and fully delivered.
[close]

Canada skating Mount Ruchmore is - Rick Howard, Colin McKay, Appleyard and Wade Desarmo.

I dont really understand the hype around Rick McCrank, his skating is boring and his trick selection is very very limited.

I am extremely baffled that someone could say McCranks trick selection is limited. And to double down on the “very” makes it seem like you’ve got to be taking the piss. It’s one thing of you find his skating boring, that’s opinion I guess, and I can respect that even though I completely disagree, but to say his trick selection is limited is just ignorant.

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2271
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #76 on: April 04, 2023, 09:55:50 AM »

Holy shit what a fucking mimbo. A friend told me to watch this because it was so painful that it was funny and he was right. At one point he skips back to the beginning of the part and then just says the exact same stuff he said the first time which added no insight in the first place. "Southern California."

Also if you want to get completely fucked up, take a drink every time he says "at night" or "generator".

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 293
« Reply #77 on: April 04, 2023, 10:50:50 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Holy shit what a fucking mimbo. A friend told me to watch this because it was so painful that it was funny and he was right. At one point he skips back to the beginning of the part and then just says the exact same stuff he said the first time which added no insight in the first place. "Southern California."

Also if you want to get completely fucked up, take a drink every time he says "at night" or "generator".

This was their worst video part review they have done so far and it's probably why it's the shortest. His Chromeball interview was good but his comments about filming for Sorry did not translate well in video form.

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #78 on: April 04, 2023, 11:38:11 AM »
Apples doesn't realize that Nigel is very much Rockstar

Trilogy

• Rep: -289
« Reply #79 on: April 04, 2023, 12:56:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Great read.

[close]

[close]

[close]

I am extremely baffled that someone could say McCranks trick selection is limited. And to double down on the “very” makes it seem like you’ve got to be taking the piss. It’s one thing of you find his skating boring, that’s opinion I guess, and I can respect that even though I completely disagree, but to say his trick selection is limited is just ignorant.

Ok dude!

LebowskisRug

« Reply #80 on: April 04, 2023, 01:46:17 PM »
I think comparing 90's Girl/Chocolate and the way their teams were built to how Flip was built isn't really 1:1. The Crail camp had a lot of guys on there that brought a specific style to their skating, which could be pretty damn good but likely not the best out there. York fits that perfect. They were not all going for hammers like Apples and the Flip team was. I think Apples said that he wished he had more lines whereas Crail videos always had a lot of lines. Also, it seemed like Crail parts always progressed from start to finish in terms of difficulty and quality and while Flip parts have enders, its more like a constant barrage of hammers.

So based on that at the time I was much more interested in the Crail videos and having seen York and those dudes skate in person I thought he brought a unique combo of power and technical ability that you now see manifested in dudes like Bobby Worrest or Hjalte. Their lines are not Suciu face melters, but their speed and power add nuances to what they are doing. I'll be clear in that I don't think York is or was on the level of those 2, but I have always been drawn more towards how tricks were done then just the sheer difficulty.

Unpopular opinion but I think Appleyard woulda fit better on Crail but likely not pushed himself as hard.

Trilogy

« Reply #81 on: April 04, 2023, 02:11:14 PM »
I don't think Appleyard on Crail would be epic as he was on Flip, Appleyard on Flip was perfect for that post-2000 PD-ish Barcelona skate era, Crail was my favorite company till the year 2000, but after that they lost their edge and became boring.

Kanye Omari West

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -361
« Reply #82 on: April 04, 2023, 08:31:21 PM »
I don't think Appleyard on Crail would be epic as he was on Flip, Appleyard on Flip was perfect for that post-2000 PD-ish Barcelona skate era, Crail was my favorite company till the year 2000, but after that they lost their edge and became boring.

It got boring because the team was at its peak? Weird.

Trilogy

« Reply #83 on: April 05, 2023, 12:03:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

For me peak Koston, Mariano, Carroll, Keenan, York, Brenes, etc, etc was in the 90s.

Kanye Omari West

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -361
« Reply #84 on: April 05, 2023, 02:59:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

For me peak Koston, Mariano, Carroll, Keenan, York, Brenes, etc, etc was in the 90s.

Really??? I just look at that 03 squad as like even the no name dudes were ss flip crook and nollie heel crooking rails then you give the consistent stars still delivering the goods like Koston, Gino, MJ, etc. . All due respect to those that laid the foundation but like when the randoms were even breaking shit off crazy is wild to me.

AitchBeeGayBuh

• Rep: 60
« Reply #85 on: April 05, 2023, 04:22:31 AM »
Right after Herman grinded the Wilshire 15 first try (at the time, his biggest rail) we drove to Beverley HS. After we got out a van pulled up with Appleyard, Atiba, Arto, Trainwreck, Mouly, Evan Hernandez, and a green haired Ellington.

We all just stopped and watched them skate for about 15 mins until cops kicked us out. Arto went straight into hucking switch 360 flips down the nine but didn’t roll away that day. Mouly fucked up with a first try Ollie down the 9, chugged beers, then immediately went into kick flips down it to which he came a helluva lot closer. At that time Herman had not met Evan yet, introduced himself and was telling him that he just 50ed wilshire. Evan seemed unimpressed. Been said before but Trainwreck was young and had the build of a dude who did a bid in prison.

Appleyard right out of the van no warm up kickflipped the 5 and front boarded the rail. Talked to Atiba, still not doing any other tricks first try nollie flipped the 5 then nollie front boarded the 9 which made it in his part. If you look in the background where he lands down the 5 stair you can see Herman, Matt Allen, and yours truly in the background.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2023, 06:41:57 AM by AitchBeeGayBuh »

Trilogy

« Reply #86 on: April 05, 2023, 05:39:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Really??? I just look at that 03 squad as like even the no name dudes were ss flip crook and nollie heel crooking rails then you give the consistent stars still delivering the goods like Koston, Gino, MJ, etc. . All due respect to those that laid the foundation but like when the randoms were even breaking shit off crazy is wild to me.

It's great you think that way and we all have different opinions.

But by that way, by you logic you think current day BLind is better than early 90s bLind because the tricks they do now are more complex than what Mariano, Gonz and J Lee were doing back then??
« Last Edit: April 05, 2023, 06:56:18 AM by Trilogy »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
« Reply #87 on: April 05, 2023, 08:58:02 AM »
He’s done ok on his own, but I suspect he’d tell you without being on Flip there’s no way he would have done what he did…..I’m sure it would feel great that Rick Howard loves you or whatever, but then what?  He left those other teams for a reason, I suspect he would have done the same at Girl….. I get it though… hypotheticals……..

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2023, 09:03:28 AM »
There were already so many Stars / top tier skaters on Girl, i am also of the opinion being on Flip made him stand out significantly more. consider they were already significantly expanding Chocolate with Kenny Anderson and Marc Johnson. Girl seemed to be running out of room for new pros. there was no real wack skater on flip, every single guy was a star. it was pretty cool and there wasnt really any other company doing stuff like that at the time. there was def B and C squads on every team.

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2023, 09:47:33 AM »
There were already so many Stars / top tier skaters on Girl, i am also of the opinion being on Flip made him stand out significantly more. consider they were already significantly expanding Chocolate with Kenny Anderson and Marc Johnson. Girl seemed to be running out of room for new pros. there was no real wack skater on flip, every single guy was a star. it was pretty cool and there wasnt really any other company doing stuff like that at the time. there was def B and C squads on every team.

His move to Flip was the best one, career wise for sure; Sorry came out and the brand exploted even with their shitty products, while on other hand Crailtap was already full of dudes, making hour long videos and had a flow limbo of rippers that never made it:
-daryl angel (dude even got the first slowmo hd part ever but not a spot on the team)
-marty murawski (waited till 2007 but ended on blueprint then obscurity)
-lem villemin (waited for years just to get on cliche for a few years)
-travis stenger (quit all over)
-jesus fernandez (he was never really ON till after the FF video)
-carlos ribero (biggest missed oportunity in their brand story probably!)