Author Topic: POLARIZER THREAD (60s/70s style boards)  (Read 36059 times)

cripmeister

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
Re: POLARIZER THREAD (60s/70s style boards)
« Reply #510 on: June 10, 2023, 01:32:22 PM »
I see what you mean, but still: if any part of your trucks are clipping on shit, just ride the obstacle differently. Try rolling over that sharp edge at more of an angle or something, idk

Yeah I know but here is what is going on with the HW truck. The yoke is closer to the ground than what it is on the Sure Grips, so more likely to catch.

BL0B

• Rep: 416
« Reply #511 on: June 10, 2023, 03:51:48 PM »
Expand Quote
I see what you mean, but still: if any part of your trucks are clipping on shit, just ride the obstacle differently. Try rolling over that sharp edge at more of an angle or something, idk
[close]

Yeah I know but here is what is going on with the HW truck. The yoke is closer to the ground than what it is on the Sure Grips, so more likely to catch.

i'd need to see both the trucks on the same flat surface, in the same frame to see any kinda of difference and even then...... the heated wheel trucked board is tilted way more in this pic.

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #512 on: June 10, 2023, 07:23:17 PM »
Got Mauling today and the results were excellent.  Started off sidewalk surfing and getting the basics, felt some flex but I’m a bigger guy. 

Then I graduated to a mellow hill, most of the good banked driveways were filled for the weekend but I’ve noted them for midweek seshes.  Carving on this thing rules. 

Two little kids skating a curb cut asked if I could do tricks on it and my answer bummed them out.  They told me to get a board I can ollie on  ;D

Then when I came back around for another run, a dude was calling the cops and said those two were throwing rocks/vandalized his shit.  He asked if I knew them.  I feel like I just street skated for the first time again.

biaherl

• Rep: 268
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #513 on: June 11, 2023, 12:09:50 AM »
A heads up on the HW trucks. They will catch going up over steeper banks and such.

Tried them at my local skatepark today and I am a bit disappointed to be honest. Back truck caught on the edge of a somewhat steep bank going up it. None of my Sure Grips ever had this issue on this bank. Looking at the geometry I can see why. I run 56 mm Bones. Anyone else experienced it?

The Heated Wheel truck is a copy on a Chicago truck that was Neil's favorite truck to ride in this style. Neil always said that the Sure grips were trash, he sold them because they were so abundant he couldn't win, and people weren't as picky as he was (also keeping what ever stock of Chicago's he could find his). He made the HW trucks to get rid of the sure grips.

If yours are catching Neil has a solution for you. You may not like it but he'll tell you the truth. He'll probably tell you that you've got to switch to sure grips to skate that bank

I suck at polarizing, I have 6 completes and have only caught my yoke on a street crack with sure grips. My guess is you are getting a lot of flex on that bank

DM heated wheel and ask Ed to ask Neil for you

cripmeister

« Reply #514 on: June 11, 2023, 12:39:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

i'd need to see both the trucks on the same flat surface, in the same frame to see any kinda of difference and even then...... the heated wheel trucked board is tilted way more in this pic.

No matter how you look at it the Sure Grip has better clearance BUT the HW is a better turning truck IMO. The Sure Grip has a Harrys' stud kingpin installed so it adjusts more like a standard truck. A standard kingpin on the HW would be a bad idea.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2023, 12:55:17 AM by cripmeister »

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 167
« Reply #515 on: June 11, 2023, 10:01:55 AM »
Got Mauling today and the results were excellent.  Started off sidewalk surfing and getting the basics, felt some flex but I’m a bigger guy

Then I graduated to a mellow hill, most of the good banked driveways were filled for the weekend but I’ve noted them for midweek seshes.  Carving on this thing rules. 

Two little kids skating a curb cut asked if I could do tricks on it and my answer bummed them out.  They told me to get a board I can ollie on  ;D

Then when I came back around for another run, a dude was calling the cops and said those two were throwing rocks/vandalized his shit.  He asked if I knew them.  I feel like I just street skated for the first time again.

Can confirm- maybe it’s not as flex-y as other polarizers out there, but the flex is present.

BL0B

• Rep: 416
« Reply #516 on: June 11, 2023, 05:23:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

No matter how you look at it the Sure Grip has better clearance BUT the HW is a better turning truck IMO. The Sure Grip has a Harrys' stud kingpin installed so it adjusts more like a standard truck. A standard kingpin on the HW would be a bad idea.

thanks, much better and very interesting. defiantly want to try Sure Grips when i finally get around to polarizing. i thought i was just going to do HW trucks and board before.

boston_bruins

« Reply #517 on: June 11, 2023, 06:36:22 PM »
Sure Grips instead of Heated Wheel trucks?? Surely you jest

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 483
« Reply #518 on: June 12, 2023, 11:44:16 AM »
i swapped my HW stock pivots with soft sure grips and loosened it up a turn or two

we're approaching the perfect turn

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #519 on: June 12, 2023, 12:02:23 PM »
Mauler log, entry 002: 

Took the Mauler on a lunchtime trip to the library.  Really appreciating the Skate Aids, without the nose and tail it’s super useful to climb over cracks and debris.  Haven’t touched the trucks one bit and they’re pretty dang surfy.  Really enjoying having a setup than can be a cruiser when desired, but can’t be used for tricks.  Sometimes I bite off more than I can chew on errands.  Have more plans for this in more specifically banked settings but it’s super fun getting my bearings with it so far.

Also even on a mellow descent this thing gets going so damn fast! :)

cripmeister

« Reply #520 on: June 13, 2023, 03:46:16 AM »
i swapped my HW stock pivots with soft sure grips and loosened it up a turn or two

we're approaching the perfect turn

Yup it makes a really big difference. I run them too with yellow Powerdyne Hop Up bushing (still available in Sweden at least). I am curious how the HW trucks will perform with nylon/delrin pivot cups. I tried it with Sure Grips and the turn was amazing.

Sikost

• Rep: 0
« Reply #521 on: June 13, 2023, 05:45:13 AM »
The shop in Sweden you’re talking about is Kahalani?
I agree the Sure grip cup make a huge difference!
I run my HW trucks with Bont 78a cones and HC Bones med on back trucks, Bont 78a cones and HC Bones soft on front trucks, 18 WB and loving it!

Would be interesting to hear how others set their HW trucks and why!

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #522 on: June 13, 2023, 06:28:59 AM »
Someone who has a drilled polarizer.. what did they set the wheelbase at?

boston_bruins

« Reply #523 on: June 13, 2023, 10:05:58 AM »
19 1/2” axle to axle. Bolt to bolt is not the way to measure polarizer WB

cripmeister

« Reply #524 on: June 13, 2023, 12:02:30 PM »
The shop in Sweden you’re talking about is Kahalani?
I agree the Sure grip cup make a huge difference!
I run my HW trucks with Bont 78a cones and HC Bones med on back trucks, Bont 78a cones and HC Bones soft on front trucks, 18 WB and loving it!

Would be interesting to hear how others set their HW trucks and why!

Yes, Kahalani sells them but I got a couple of sets from skatebox.se. PowerDyne Magic Cushions - Revenge/Rival are the same bushings as the Hop Ups.

Sikost

• Rep: 0
« Reply #525 on: June 13, 2023, 02:02:25 PM »
Tried to order on skatebox.se but they don’t send to France unfortunately 

George Vallore

• Rep: 15
« Reply #526 on: June 21, 2023, 04:11:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
19 1/2” axle to axle. Bolt to bolt is not the way to measure polarizer WB

Confirm it's 19 1/2

Something to take into serious consideration if you prefer another WB. I personally ride 18 1/2 on my setups, and that extra WB threw me off.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 361
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #527 on: June 28, 2023, 02:44:19 PM »
Just got the Foxed graphic with HW trucks, so stoked to give it a ride once it’s dry out.

Anyone run these without grip tape? My “traditional” whip has pretty minimal grip but I kinda want to keep this baby naked, is that totally insane?
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

IpathCats

« Reply #528 on: June 28, 2023, 07:13:33 PM »
Just got the Foxed graphic with HW trucks, so stoked to give it a ride once it’s dry out.

Anyone run these without grip tape? My “traditional” whip has pretty minimal grip but I kinda want to keep this baby naked, is that totally insane?

Totally up to you, but I would grip it.

boston_bruins

« Reply #529 on: June 29, 2023, 07:27:59 AM »
I 2nd that, zipping around and doing quick carves on banks and driveways makes for a lot of torque on the soles of the ol’ shoes, some grip is a must

lulz

• Rep: 54
« Reply #530 on: July 02, 2023, 03:19:08 PM »
Has anyone tried the Mini Logo AWOLs? I’m looking to get a set of 55s but want to check in here first.

They ride like oj mini super juice, but faster.

fernando the skater

• Rep: 120
« Reply #531 on: July 03, 2023, 03:45:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Has anyone tried the Mini Logo AWOLs? I’m looking to get a set of 55s but want to check in here first.
[close]

Yes, the AWOL wheels are great. I've also got 55mm mini juice, and my Mini Logo 80a are cheaper but work as well.

AlSharpton

« Reply #532 on: July 03, 2023, 05:06:10 PM »
Anyone have the specs to the correct size pivot cup for the HW truck?

SorryReallySorryDVD

• Rep: 10
« Reply #533 on: July 03, 2023, 05:14:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yes, the AWOL wheels are great. I've also got 55mm mini juice, and my Mini Logo 80a are cheaper but work as well.

Sounds good. I have a fresh set of Ace 00s ready to go. I’ll get the AWOLs, replacement bushings and pivot cups, new bearings and finish cutting out an old deck then I’ll be polarizing.

I’m thinking Riptide pivot cups since the Ace ones are already crooked and loose, Bones Big Balls and 81A Pig bushings.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #534 on: July 04, 2023, 05:59:12 PM »
Anyone have the specs to the correct size pivot cup for the HW truck?
Sure grip ones fit.
.56” OD
.30” ID

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #535 on: July 07, 2023, 07:40:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Sounds good. I have a fresh set of Ace 00s ready to go. I’ll get the AWOLs, replacement bushings and pivot cups, new bearings and finish cutting out an old deck then I’ll be polarizing.

I’m thinking Riptide pivot cups since the Ace ones are already crooked and loose, Bones Big Balls and 81A Pig bushings.

Just FYI, those soft Pig bushings have zero resistance. I’m guessing they firm up a bit eventually, or maybe skating in the cold would help, but they were just constantly popping out of the washers for me. The top bushing is also shorter than an Ace top.

For what it’s worth, the set of 00s I used to have came feeling a little stiff, so I just swapped in a set of new AF1 bushings and washers and that made them really feel good and carvy.

AlSharpton

« Reply #536 on: July 13, 2023, 07:37:40 AM »

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 361
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #537 on: July 13, 2023, 12:07:29 PM »
https://theheatedwheel.com/collections/phasecaster-wheels

New soft wheels are out

Hell yesssss. Got some white bois for the foxed whip.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

AlSharpton

« Reply #538 on: July 13, 2023, 05:03:57 PM »
Expand Quote

Hell yesssss. Got some white bois for the foxed whip.

Report back when you can. I just picked up some rough riders a week ago. If only I held off. I wonder how they compare to OJ mini super juices. They seem very similar

cripmeister

« Reply #539 on: July 14, 2023, 04:39:00 AM »