Author Topic: bikes  (Read 309194 times)

givecigstosurfgroms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Re: bikes
« Reply #1380 on: June 03, 2020, 10:31:25 AM »
Disc brakes are hideous.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 993
« Reply #1381 on: June 03, 2020, 12:57:49 PM »
I'm stripping my old felt road bike frame, gonna turn it into some kind of weird raw aluminum single speed. Wish i could do the same to the fork but it's carbon. Anyone know of a decent unpainted/relatively plain looking fork?

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #1382 on: June 03, 2020, 07:36:52 PM »
Fuck it.

Started a SLAP Strava Cycling Club: https://www.strava.com/clubs/673079

For all PALS who enjoy time on two wheels as they do four.

Just got my first bike ever last week. I’d like to join the group if you guys don’t mind having a noob that doesn’t know anything yet. My knees aren’t what they once were so I needed an exercise that I could do in between my runs too keep them fresh.

Any advice for a beginner is welcomed but don’t feel obligated

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #1383 on: June 04, 2020, 05:21:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Fuck it.

[close]

Just got my first bike ever last week. I’d like to join the group if you guys don’t mind having a noob that doesn’t know anything yet. My knees aren’t what they once were so I needed an exercise that I could do in between my runs too keep them fresh.

welcome, please join.
What are you riding? Keep your chain and drive train clean, (de grease, and re grease)  don't put too much air in your tires. Depending on what you are riding and your weight.  Make sure your seat  and biek fir is comfortable and get a good bib or shorts if you are going on longer rides.
Those are mistakes that I made and have heard about.
Ride and enjoy.
ps
I also recommend a nice red blinky light to put on your seat post. A friend gave me one as a wedding present and  I use it on every single ride no matter what the conditions are. Anything to catch the attention of a driver who is texting and driving or just distracted.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 06:41:16 AM by Beeda Weeda »

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #1384 on: June 04, 2020, 05:51:35 AM »
Waiting on my funds from GOAT, sold some used dunks I had laying around, purchasing a gravel rig. I love my little shit of a fixed set up, however I think something with slightly more meat on the tire and gears will be better for my suburban bike line riding. Also going to get measured and fit properly instead of just looking at measurements and guessing.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1385 on: June 04, 2020, 10:03:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Fuck it.

[close]

[close]
welcome, please join.
What are you riding? Keep your chain and drive train clean, (de grease, and re grease)  don't put too much air in your tires. Depending on what you are riding and your weight.  Make sure your seat  and biek fir is comfortable and get a good bib or shorts if you are going on longer rides.
Ride and enjoy.
ps
I also recommend a nice red blinky light to put on your seat post. A friend gave me one as a wedding present and  I use it on every single ride no matter what the conditions are. Anything to catch the attention of a driver who is texting and driving or just distracted.

Thanks! I bought a Jamis Renegade Exile, it was recommended to me from a friend that works at a bike shop. I’m assuming it’s a good beginner bike if that’s the case. I haven’t really tested it on a super long ride, but ya I will probably replace the seat at some point. I’ve been wearing my running compression shorts with a pad I took out of some old padded shorts I found in my closet. I have a seat light I haven’t played with yet I figured I’d only need it for night rides but that makes a lot of sense to have it on always. I live in a city and I’m realizing that cars are a bit harder to manage than what I’m used to running or on my skateboard.

Thanks for the tips. Can’t wait to log some miles for the group.

Charlie Hustle

« Reply #1386 on: June 04, 2020, 10:23:16 AM »
I joined! I had never really messed with Strava. Hope it motivates me to get out there. I have a felt commuter bike. It’s comfy.

Lorem_Ipsum

• Rep: 18
« Reply #1387 on: June 04, 2020, 10:30:14 AM »
Joined the strava group! Put 32mm gravelking tires on this weekend after getting sick of having no confidence on anything other than road riding on 28mm slicks. It's sure going to be hard to go back.

Next step, SLAP jerseys....

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #1388 on: June 04, 2020, 12:04:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Fuck it.

[close]

[close]
welcome, please join.
Ride and enjoy.
ps
[close]

Thanks! I bought a Jamis Renegade Exile, it was recommended to me from a friend that works at a bike shop. I’m assuming it’s a good beginner bike if that’s the case. I haven’t really tested it on a super long ride, but ya I will probably replace the seat at some point. I’ve been wearing my running compression shorts with a pad I took out of some old padded shorts I found in my closet. I have a seat light I haven’t played with yet I figured I’d only need it for night rides but that makes a lot of sense to have it on always. I live in a city and I’m realizing that cars are a bit harder to manage than what I’m used to running or on my skateboard.

That is a great bike, I looked it up, it lookslike its the endurance model, very comfortable bar position.It looks like you are set up real good.
I swear by the light now, the more you ride, the more close calls with cars. My biggest cares are people passing other cars coming in the opposite direction and people passing me then turnng right, right in front of me.
a local guy from my area joined the slap club, he's an old guy and must have seen that I joined in his feed, he's probably about 60-70, it made me laugh. He's already at 100 miles this week.
Strava is good vibes.

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 700
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1389 on: June 04, 2020, 02:12:38 PM »
Next step, SLAP jerseys....

Oh shit.  That sounds awesome.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1390 on: June 04, 2020, 03:59:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Fuck it.

[close]

[close]
welcome, please join.
Ride and enjoy.
ps
[close]

[close]
That is a great bike, I looked it up, it lookslike its the endurance model, very comfortable bar position.It looks like you are set up real good.
I swear by the light now, the more you ride, the more close calls with cars. My biggest cares are people passing other cars coming in the opposite direction and people passing me then turnng right, right in front of me.
a local guy from my area joined the slap club, he's an old guy and must have seen that I joined in his feed, he's probably about 60-70, it made me laugh. He's already at 100 miles this week.
Strava is good vibes.

I don’t live in the busy part of the city so a lot of my problems have been 4 way stops where nobody ever comes to a complete stop.

Count me in for a slap jersey

50mm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #1391 on: June 04, 2020, 04:04:06 PM »
Bikes are sold out everywhere right now.

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1392 on: June 04, 2020, 09:02:57 PM »
Whoever rode up by niagara falls, I see you're on the Canada side.  Can you please change your stats to metric. 

That average well over 20mph reminds me that I'm old and slow, and I've got enough to deal with right now.

Thank you,
Joust.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #1393 on: June 05, 2020, 07:22:59 AM »
That is me, I have all my stats set the metric on my end.  Do they show up imperial on your display?

It doesn't matter what speed you go, as long as you roll. I get stoked and say hi to every single cyclist I see  on my routes.

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1394 on: June 05, 2020, 11:39:56 AM »
That is me, I have all my stats set the metric on my end.  Do they show up imperial on your display?

It doesn't matter what speed you go, as long as you roll. I get stoked and say hi to every single cyclist I see  on my routes.
I wondered if that was you.  Yeah, says you did 30 miles, averaging 20.4 mph.  Just pretended you were in a big pace line and not solo.

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1395 on: June 06, 2020, 09:25:53 AM »
Is anyone else having a bunch of problems with Strava?  3 of last 4 rides have been all kinds of fucked up.  I do need a new phone, I am blaming Apple updates, but come on.

Anyway, did my first proper road ride in over two years. 

LesbianPUNCH

• Rep: 25
« Reply #1396 on: June 07, 2020, 07:03:43 AM »
I haven’t had any issues with Strava thus far, but I’m pretty attentive with the app.  I usually manually stop rides during breaks, make sure the clock is rolling before I start moving. I know a few friends of mine have had similar complaints lately, though. 

Also, some of you dudes shred on the bike. Motivating to see.

tumulishoomaroom

• Rep: 48
« Reply #1397 on: June 07, 2020, 07:44:47 AM »
Finally back on the saddle after spending the best part of three months inside... A friend and I went into the Vexin Regional Park (made famous by impressionists painters, Van Gogh's very last days in Auvers sur Oise etc...) and followed the tracks of a gravel race called Gravelxinoise. There are a couple of versions, one with 70km and 1000m of positive climb and another with 100km/1600m... we did the shorter one which was already quite hard ! Really love the Vexin though, barely a hour away from Paris by subburban train and you're surrounded by nature.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 07:47:01 AM by tumulishoomaroom »

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #1398 on: June 07, 2020, 12:20:19 PM »
That’s sick

Motivating me to clean up my single speed. Got a year or so until my daughter will wanna learn and go for rides around my small neighborhood. Prob keep skating beside her for that though

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 218
« Reply #1399 on: June 07, 2020, 03:43:35 PM »
Really stoking on checking out everyone’s routes/rides. You guys all rip.

What’s everyone like to snack on during longer rides? I generally do nothing on rides up to 35-40 miles, and after that I’ll rock clif bars/granola bars beyond that, can’t really hang with the energy gels/blocks. I know someone who swears by multiple peanut butter, jelly, and potato chip sandwiches shoved into the jersey pocket.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #1400 on: June 07, 2020, 07:25:36 PM »

What’s everyone like to snack on during longer rides? I generally do nothing on rides up to 35-40 miles, and after that I’ll rock clif bars/granola bars beyond that, can’t really hang with the energy gels/blocks. I know someone who swears by multiple peanut butter, jelly, and potato chip sandwiches shoved into the jersey pocket.

Haven’t really gone past 30 miles on the fixed. I typically don’t do anything along the ride. Just smash it out and stuff my face after. Not sure why I’ve never considered gels, I use them when I run anything over 13.1.

I’m typically time crunched, so I need to pack as many miles into my free time as possible. I don’t often prep anything, I get home from work throw my cycle shorts on and go back out the door.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #1401 on: June 08, 2020, 04:13:34 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I wondered if that was you.  Yeah, says you did 30 miles, averaging 20.4 mph.  Just pretended you were in a big pace line and not solo.
no pace lines, but I am riding out in the country for the most part and avoid lights and busy areas, I am 100% bike nerd though. (spandex squad)
I use a wahoo element head unit, I used to use the strava phone app, with my phone mounted to my stem using a quad lock, I noticed my phones were getting wrecked by the cold, heat and my sweat so I got it in 2017. Its a beast.
I bring cliff bars on longer rides and just try and eat enough during the day, I bring 5 bucks with me  in case i need water or food. I got chocolate on my handlebars the other day.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 552
« Reply #1402 on: June 08, 2020, 02:37:09 PM »

Usually, if it's under 20, I just work off the calories I eat before ride and have a bottle of electrolyte drink with me. But I'll also keep a gel and bar on me incase I'm facing winds/hills that fatigue me faster.

If I'm doing 25+, I usually nibble bars/food every 30 mins - rule of thumb: drink before you're thirsty and eat before you're hungry. You eat/drink not for the miles you've done, but for the miles you have ahead of you.

Peanut butter and jelly and banana are good. I've been making those rice cake things the pros like (Google Rapha rice cakes) and they're slowly becoming a favorite of mind. Gels are usually only used towards the end to power me home.

Also, word of advice: before you take off for a ride, make sure you have your water bottles with you.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1403 on: June 09, 2020, 06:57:02 AM »
i joined the group but you all are going to be super underwhelmed as i just do mountain biking. it's basically climb up this big hill and then bomb it. like a 20 is minute loop that is only like 1.5-2 miles long but fun as hell.

any other mountain bikers here?

on strava

i've started using wahoo and sync'n to strava because i like to have my hr displayed on my phone.

on the phone mounts i'm thinking about trying this one

everytime i eat shit onto my bars i break my current one which is made of hard plastic

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #1404 on: June 09, 2020, 08:15:38 AM »
i'm building up an old bike a buddy handed down to me. it has a 5 speed cassette that is pretty wrecked, the whole shifting unit is gone, so took the derailleur off and was about to put a single speed kit on it. now i changed my mind, might choose the third sprocket to put a chain on and ride it as a single with the whole cassette in it and save the money for  a whole new wheelset, since both rims aren't exactly the same size anyway. after that i might change the crankset so i can make it a fixie (current crankset is an old one piece unit and the arms are a bit too long, 1900mm, to ride fixed comfortabbly, might hit the ground) and then get an actual nice frame and migrate all the parts into that.

i live in a city full of bikefantatics so i hope i can make a good deal on a used wheelset and crankset.

i found this site that sells njs frames and the cheap ones aren't that expensive around 300-400$, but they look pretty run down and come with dents, which doesn't bother me too much. i might save up for one of those, because it's hard to find a frame in my size and the njs ones come in xxs sizes like 48 cm seatpost tube height, which would be best.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #1405 on: June 09, 2020, 08:21:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
got a new bike and found some sick trails in my neighborhood

i haven't hit either one of these yet, my neighbor just told me where they were. now i've got some stuff to work up too.
[close]
What bike is that? Looks nice, trying to get a mountain bike for a reasonable price but they’re so expensive.
[close]
Specialized Fuse ?
looks fucking sick.

sorry for the double post but i had to get that out. a friend has a nice specialized mtb and i went to their site yesterday. if i had money to burn i'd get a rockhopper just for fun.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1406 on: June 09, 2020, 09:19:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
got a new bike and found some sick trails in my neighborhood

i haven't hit either one of these yet, my neighbor just told me where they were. now i've got some stuff to work up too.
[close]
What bike is that? Looks nice, trying to get a mountain bike for a reasonable price but they’re so expensive.
[close]
Specialized Fuse ?
[close]
looks fucking sick.

sorry for the double post but i had to get that out. a friend has a nice specialized mtb and i went to their site yesterday. if i had money to burn i'd get a rockhopper just for fun.

thanks man, i'm in love with this bike. i got it because there weren't gnarly enough trails for my older full suspension setup and the pandemic had my bike in the shop for 2 weeks and so i ended up buying this on the spot when i was dropping my old bike off for repair.

that said i just found these gnarly trails and now i'm thinking i need a full suspension again. probably keep this one like a cruiser board for running errands and if i got to some pump tracks or mellow trails and then thinking about getting a full suspension setup for hill bombing.

Lorem_Ipsum

• Rep: 18
« Reply #1407 on: June 09, 2020, 09:32:12 AM »

I personally think that nutrition on rides is almost as important as fitness going into it. On my ride yesterday, if I didn't have proper nutrition, I definitely would have bonked out and had to call the lady for a ride, around 40 miles from home. I use a small handlebar bag that I load up with tons of granola bars/peanut butter snacks that really comes in handy if you don't like using your jersey pockets for everything.

One of my favorite things to bring on a ride with me is spam musubi. If you're not familiar, it's spam cooked up with soy sauce, some sugar, whatever else, on top of rice and wrapped in seaweed. It's salty, can be sweet, and has the carb component from the rice with the protein from the spam to keep you going and restore that energy. I had 3 of those on my 87 mile ride yesterday and still felt famished when I returned home. It's definitely better to be overprepared rather than underprepared. You don't want to find yourself in a dangerous situation when your body betrays you, which can happen no matter how ambitious you are.

shucknjive

• Rep: -39
« Reply #1408 on: June 09, 2020, 09:48:03 AM »
irie hug=nic drug delar
mArLeY

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 552
« Reply #1409 on: June 09, 2020, 09:51:53 AM »
One of my favorite things to bring on a ride with me is spam musubi.

I don't know you, but hot damn, I respect the fuck out of you.

Now I want to make some musubis for later when I'm just sitting at home, playing video games, and drinking.