Author Topic: Skate Shit you've Bought Recently  (Read 982254 times)

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 844
Re: Skate Shit you've Bought Recently
« Reply #5040 on: July 15, 2020, 05:19:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Got a 8.25 scumco because I liked the graphic/woodstain. Same length as I usually skate ~32, but the wb is 14 whereas I usually skate a 14.25 wb.

I'm pretty tall and the last time I skated a 14 inch wb was a few years ago and it felt a bit too unstable. Though that was on aces and now I'm on ventures with forged baseplates so looking forward to seeing how it works out.
[close]
dope! Let us know. The only 14wb 8.25 I own is a chocolate. Not too hyped on the shape but I like the dimensions. Need to set it up already
[close]

I set it up and tried it out tonight, wheelbase is wayyyy too short. Couldn't get used to the pop feel either. Thought it would help me learn some flatground and tech tricks, but even if I do get used to it its not the dimension I'd wanna stick with. Damn.
[close]

Way too light and tippy? I rode a Primitive 8.25 x 31.8 x 14 and the pop feel was way too light even with Venture 5.8 Titanium, only slightly better with 5.8 standards.
[close]

Yeah light and tippy for sure, but more so just unstable, feel like I have to be very careful when landing 180 tricks at any reasonable speed to not slip out. I have v-lights so forged plates and solid hangers. Certain flip tricks worked well if I put in less effort, but its not like I pop and jump really hard on my usual setups anyway. The only thing that was noticeably better was switch heels which I rarely do.

I think it would be fine for most grinds and slides but even so I doubt it would be enough of a benefit if at all to justify the decrease in stability from the decreased wheelbase.

Would probably be fine if I was a shorter guy, I can get adjust and get used to the pop feel if I really want to, it would just be a matter of time. But the stability simply isn't there no matter how much the trucks push the wheelbase out. I should probably just stick to 14.2~3ish which is my sweet spot on these ventures.

I have a primitive 8.38 on ice which has a 14.19ish wb, feels like an 8.5 standing on it. I think that one will be a lot more reasonable but definitely wouldn't wanna go shorter than that.

For me the 14" wb works much better on shorter boards. I have one ScumCo deck that is on a short shape I've never seen anywhere else and it's one of my favorite boards ever. It's 8.5 x 31.4 with wide/blunt shaped nose and tail and medium concave. On the normal ones that are 31.8-32 it just feels a little off to me. I think if pwood pushed their standard wb out to 14.25 it would feel more "balanced" if that makes any sense.

If you want to skate a Pennswood deck that's more in line with what you normally ride let me know. I have a corner store shop deck thats 8.38 x 32.25 14.25 wb...its 8.38 in the middle but tapers to 8.25 at the truck holes on both ends. I wanna say it's either a deep silver spoon or kiddie pool, so medium concave. Only skated it a couple times on flat, so it's in good shape. Shoot me a pm if you're interested.

Also if that primitive feels like an 8.5 then I'd measure it. I've had multiple decks come listed as one thing and be a totally different one - 8.38 foundation that measures almost 8.6, 8.25 theories that measures 8.38 etc. If it's egregious enough they might even send you a new one - blood wizard did that for me which I thought was super cool.

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 468
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5041 on: July 15, 2020, 09:26:42 AM »
I’ve seen a lot of info on here about Footprint but not Remind, so I ordered a pair of Remind insoles just to try them out. I have flat feet, like amorphous blob flat so I went with the Destin insoles. They are pretty wide so for some shoes you will have to trim the width. I wear 11 so I ordered the 11-11.5 size and they were the perfect length for an 11 shoe. Went out to skate and expected an adjustment period but they felt at home right away. It’s been less than 24 hours so time will tell but so far I’d say they’re worth it.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #5042 on: July 15, 2020, 10:07:41 AM »
I’ve seen a lot of info on here about Footprint but not Remind, so I ordered a pair of Remind insoles just to try them out. I have flat feet, like amorphous blob flat so I went with the Destin insoles. They are pretty wide so for some shoes you will have to trim the width. I wear 11 so I ordered the 11-11.5 size and they were the perfect length for an 11 shoe. Went out to skate and expected an adjustment period but they felt at home right away. It’s been less than 24 hours so time will tell but so far I’d say they’re worth it.
Amazon? Yeah, haven't seen much as far of review or comments on them either.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #5043 on: July 15, 2020, 10:12:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Got a 8.25 scumco because I liked the graphic/woodstain. Same length as I usually skate ~32, but the wb is 14 whereas I usually skate a 14.25 wb.

I'm pretty tall and the last time I skated a 14 inch wb was a few years ago and it felt a bit too unstable. Though that was on aces and now I'm on ventures with forged baseplates so looking forward to seeing how it works out.
[close]
dope! Let us know. The only 14wb 8.25 I own is a chocolate. Not too hyped on the shape but I like the dimensions. Need to set it up already
[close]

I set it up and tried it out tonight, wheelbase is wayyyy too short. Couldn't get used to the pop feel either. Thought it would help me learn some flatground and tech tricks, but even if I do get used to it its not the dimension I'd wanna stick with. Damn.
[close]

Way too light and tippy? I rode a Primitive 8.25 x 31.8 x 14 and the pop feel was way too light even with Venture 5.8 Titanium, only slightly better with 5.8 standards.
[close]

Yeah light and tippy for sure, but more so just unstable, feel like I have to be very careful when landing 180 tricks at any reasonable speed to not slip out. I have v-lights so forged plates and solid hangers. Certain flip tricks worked well if I put in less effort, but its not like I pop and jump really hard on my usual setups anyway. The only thing that was noticeably better was switch heels which I rarely do.

I think it would be fine for most grinds and slides but even so I doubt it would be enough of a benefit if at all to justify the decrease in stability from the decreased wheelbase.

Would probably be fine if I was a shorter guy, I can get adjust and get used to the pop feel if I really want to, it would just be a matter of time. But the stability simply isn't there no matter how much the trucks push the wheelbase out. I should probably just stick to 14.2~3ish which is my sweet spot on these ventures.

I have a primitive 8.38 on ice which has a 14.19ish wb, feels like an 8.5 standing on it. I think that one will be a lot more reasonable but definitely wouldn't wanna go shorter than that.
[close]

For me the 14" wb works much better on shorter boards. I have one ScumCo deck that is on a short shape I've never seen anywhere else and it's one of my favorite boards ever. It's 8.5 x 31.4 with wide/blunt shaped nose and tail and medium concave. On the normal ones that are 31.8-32 it just feels a little off to me. I think if pwood pushed their standard wb out to 14.25 it would feel more "balanced" if that makes any sense.

If you want to skate a Pennswood deck that's more in line with what you normally ride let me know. I have a corner store shop deck thats 8.38 x 32.25 14.25 wb...its 8.38 in the middle but tapers to 8.25 at the truck holes on both ends. I wanna say it's either a deep silver spoon or kiddie pool, so medium concave. Only skated it a couple times on flat, so it's in good shape. Shoot me a pm if you're interested.

Also if that primitive feels like an 8.5 then I'd measure it. I've had multiple decks come listed as one thing and be a totally different one - 8.38 foundation that measures almost 8.6, 8.25 theories that measures 8.38 etc. If it's egregious enough they might even send you a new one - blood wizard did that for me which I thought was super cool.

32.25 is a little on the longer side for me but otherwise that sounds interesting. Yeah I can see the 14in wb working with shorter kicks but at that point it would be wayyyy too short for me, I'm 6 5 and feel like I can only down size so much before it gets ridiculous. The primitive is pretty bang on 8.38, but is pretty flat and for some reason feels bigger than the last two 8.38s I had. Weird but should be no problem at all.

Hmmmm Nice Bike

« Reply #5044 on: July 15, 2020, 01:32:34 PM »

Esmith5488

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #5045 on: July 15, 2020, 01:40:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Just bought a Real Full SE, Spitfire Radial Slims, and some Thunder Hollow Lights. Got the board, the wheels and trucks should be here by Tuesday.
[close]
Which real did you get
[close]

Silva Clean Air 8.06
Love that shape and that graphic, would have been a instant pickup if I wasn’t running ventures. That 31.5 length is just a tad short for me.

imposter

• Rep: -63
« Reply #5046 on: July 15, 2020, 01:46:10 PM »
8 quasi

DA BIG BODY BENZ

• Rep: -122
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #5047 on: July 15, 2020, 01:48:23 PM »
My 13 year old little brother wants a board so I'm gonna get him an "ok" set up to see if he sticks with it or not. Its only $100 but I picked all the shit myself, its a darkstar with royal trucks, pig bearings, bones wheels and shake junt hardware. I thinks its ok for a first set up considering mine was a fucking walmart board

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 844
« Reply #5048 on: July 15, 2020, 02:39:54 PM »

Whoa howd you get dirtbag P to model for you?

Slugboi22

• Rep: 69
« Reply #5049 on: July 15, 2020, 05:52:55 PM »
Rowans and big boy jeans. To be totally honest, the big boys were kinda an impulse buy (and the price is a bit too high) but the fit is on point with these. Exactly what I was looking for.

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• Rep: 117
  • evensteven
« Reply #5050 on: July 15, 2020, 07:07:27 PM »
will post pictures when im done panic buying. tis is new to me, hoarding skate gear. i worry about shit like the wood drying out or getting brittle and also feel guilty for spending money on stuff over a certain amount but the time i spend skating will benefit me for a lifetime so i feel it's worth it.

so far i have:
2 pairs of janoskis
2 sets of boardycakes wheels (princess cut and fat bundts)
1 shitty defective set of spitfire tablets ( still waiting on the replacements to arrive)
a back up set of bones super reds
2 baker reynolds 838s
another neen willaims 838 on the way. it has a sick green stain, fresh wood dropped today!
some grip
extra hardware
a set of fresh thunder 148s

and i feel i need more because the stuff im seeing has me extremely worried as it pertains to the current state of things and all i can think about is making music and skating, i don't know why.
even the steven

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #5051 on: July 15, 2020, 08:05:37 PM »
trying to go down sizes, so got a Black Label Tyler Mumma 8.6. Cool shape, and dimensions...back truck tapers down to an 8.25, so i think its gonna take a bit of time getting use to it after being on 9" decks.

FUBAR

• Rep: 236
« Reply #5052 on: July 17, 2020, 10:34:43 AM »
Baker Theotis deck (love it)
Thunder 149 lights (for my 8.5)
Toy Machine Leabres deck 8.25
Another set of sml 52mm coffee cruisers

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #5053 on: July 17, 2020, 12:33:15 PM »
GX 8.125" - this might be my favorite shape I've ever skated
FA 8.18" - really good shape as well , riding exact same board right now
Theories of Atlantis NYC spot Towel

sadnocomply

• Rep: 138
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #5054 on: July 17, 2020, 01:31:56 PM »
what trucks you skatin with those decks? Trying to dial down my 8.125s currently

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #5055 on: July 17, 2020, 01:46:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
what trucks you skatin with those decks? Trying to dial down my 8.125s currently

Venture Lo 5.2 , I do have a pair of ACE 33's but they are just too high for me. I'm riding with 51MM tablets right now and really like the set up . I had some 53MM Conical that felt really good too but recently switched them onto the setup with Aces. I think 51MM Conical would be my ideal wheel with those trucks on the 8.125"

weedgod94

• Rep: 0
« Reply #5056 on: July 17, 2020, 01:46:25 PM »
not a purchase but i traded some stuff to my buddy for a set of venture 5.2 his. on an 8.25 rn but i wanna size down to an 8.125 next board. interested in that gx shape too. i was looking at a habitat with the same dims, and theres another one with an 14.25 wb also? I might be more into that.

edit: kinda wish i had lows or at least a forged baseplate but i might just get smaller wheels

sadnocomply

• Rep: 138
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #5057 on: July 17, 2020, 02:49:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Venture Lo 5.2 , I do have a pair of ACE 33's but they are just too high for me. I'm riding with 51MM tablets right now and really like the set up . I had some 53MM Conical that felt really good too but recently switched them onto the setup with Aces. I think 51MM Conical would be my ideal wheel with those trucks on the 8.125"
awake. Hell yeah I have 5.6 but they seem a little too beastly paired with 54mm on an 8.125. I have the same quasi/gx shape it’s so damn good. Love a board at 31.5 length. Maybe I will try 5.2 with a forged plate and 51mm conicals

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #5058 on: July 20, 2020, 07:28:37 PM »

Finally pulled the trigger on a set of V3 in 52mm. Would have like them in 99a but I was getting lots of chips on my V2 Easy Streets.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #5059 on: July 21, 2020, 06:15:54 AM »
Lately I've been purchasing DC, can't believe I wrote that, since here they're on a big sale and the minimum branding on the pairs I got is a big plus.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5060 on: July 21, 2020, 06:45:27 AM »
Got those busenitz vulc 2 for $23 bucks. Just wearing around house and summer chillers they feel fine and minimal. Glad I got bigger size, fit good. Little heel slip but they’re loosely laced atm

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #5061 on: July 21, 2020, 07:25:14 AM »
Got those busenitz vulc 2 for $23 bucks. Just wearing around house and summer chillers they feel fine and minimal. Glad I got bigger size, fit good. Little heel slip but they’re loosely laced atm

Damn, got mine in my regular size. They’re in my state but, the mail has been ridiculously slow recently. I feel bad for USPS workers.

Tempted to pandemic-panic purchase an FA board.

Gave in and picked up the Sage 8.38 and the Sage Hardy’s Hardware. Wanted a Hopps 8.38 but, couldn’t find one and don’t know how big the WB is. May toss the Indys I got from Daddies or throw on my old Ventures.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

MxsDx

• Rep: 98
« Reply #5062 on: July 21, 2020, 09:15:59 AM »
Venture 5.6 V-hollow and 97 duro deluxe Supercush bushings.  I used to skate ventures exclusively as a kid, but have been on Indy's most recently.  Nostalgia and curiosity got the better of me.  I typically ride steep kicks with an 14.25 wheelbase, and am excited to see if I can handle the steep decks with the stretched out ventures, or if I will need a mellower kick to manage them.  Anyone on here have good experience with Ventures on steeper boards (e.g., South Central wood, Dwindle or NHS?)

Weededed

• Rep: 215
  • I never needed it..
« Reply #5063 on: July 21, 2020, 11:11:09 AM »

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5064 on: July 21, 2020, 12:13:14 PM »

ldmch11

• Rep: -4
« Reply #5065 on: July 21, 2020, 12:41:38 PM »
Decided to try this shape out, gonna throw on some thunder 147s

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #5066 on: July 21, 2020, 01:43:19 PM »
Decided to try this shape out, gonna throw on some thunder 147s

Interested to hear your experience

Live Fast Johnny

• Rep: 22
« Reply #5067 on: July 21, 2020, 03:37:46 PM »
Venture 5.6 V-hollow and 97 duro deluxe Supercush bushings.  I used to skate ventures exclusively as a kid, but have been on Indy's most recently.  Nostalgia and curiosity got the better of me.  I typically ride steep kicks with an 14.25 wheelbase, and am excited to see if I can handle the steep decks with the stretched out ventures, or if I will need a mellower kick to manage them.  Anyone on here have good experience with Ventures on steeper boards (e.g., South Central wood, Dwindle or NHS?)

I run Venture V-Light 5.8's on an 8.3/14.25 DOA (South Central) square shape.  They handle great with the steep kicks.  It is my favorite setup right now.

MxsDx

• Rep: 98
« Reply #5068 on: July 21, 2020, 03:59:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I run Venture V-Light 5.8's on an 8.3/14.25 DOA (South Central) square shape.  They handle great with the steep kicks.  It is my favorite setup right now.

Thanks. I have a DOA Kenner/Clockers deck in the mail, which will arrive about the same time as the trucks. Can't wait!

imposter

• Rep: -63
« Reply #5069 on: July 21, 2020, 05:42:10 PM »
Extremely oversized Dickies carpenter pants 
There like 45 Waist