Author Topic: Gear madness support thread  (Read 88217 times)

IpathCats

Re: Gear madness support thread
« Reply #720 on: November 30, 2022, 09:44:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
It's probably more about pop feel than it is about wb. easier to drill one set of baseplates than every deck, because i would think even koston has difficulties getting is board drilled with same shape, just slightly shrunken wheelbase
[close]

shorter wb and lighter pop feel? Just ride aces?
[close]
Hey, I wouldn't go there, just speculating his reasoning.
[close]

i would be very curious to know how close the re drilled ventures are to ace wb.

they're close in height right?
[close]
Are ace still thru diamond? Was there any bad blood there when Koston left Craig co

Not sure. IDK why he stopped riding indys if he was just gonna re drill ventures lol.

FrenchSkater

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 28
« Reply #721 on: November 30, 2022, 10:16:41 AM »
Which is best for a flatground skate style : Independent stage 11 139 or Venture 5.2 High ?

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 470
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #722 on: November 30, 2022, 10:43:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
It's probably more about pop feel than it is about wb. easier to drill one set of baseplates than every deck, because i would think even koston has difficulties getting is board drilled with same shape, just slightly shrunken wheelbase
[close]

[close]
[close]

i would be very curious to know how close the re drilled ventures are to ace wb.

[close]
Are ace still thru diamond? Was there any bad blood there when Koston left Craig co
[close]

Not sure. IDK why he stopped riding indys if he was just gonna re drill ventures lol.

If you look at the wheel placement in relation to the nose of the baseplate it’s kind of like a Thunder where you would slide on the wheels instead of the baseplate. Maybe he likes the slide and wheelbase of a Thunder with the stability and kingpin clearance of Venture?

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #723 on: November 30, 2022, 10:44:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

If you look at the wheel placement in relation to the nose of the baseplate it’s kind of like a Thunder where you would slide on the wheels instead of the baseplate. Maybe he likes the slide and wheelbase of a Thunder with the stability and kingpin clearance of Venture?

Think about this one again. He did not change the relative position of the wheels and the baseplate at all

IpathCats

« Reply #724 on: November 30, 2022, 10:48:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Doesnt work like that, but i was thinking this at first too when we were discussing this a week or so ago. idk if it was this thread or another.

like @goodatmeth said position of the wheels to the edge of the baseplate doesnt change. only the position of the trucks on the board.

Scholesey

• Rep: 24
« Reply #725 on: November 30, 2022, 10:52:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Ace AF1 are the same height as Venture Hi. Not sure about Classic Ace but I think they are like a 1,5mm lower.

Richard Skidder

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #726 on: November 30, 2022, 12:27:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Doesnt work like that, but i was thinking this at first too when we were discussing this a week or so ago. idk if it was this thread or another.

like @goodatmeth said position of the wheels to the edge of the baseplate doesnt change. only the position of the trucks on the board.

Hot damn you fuckers are right! The angle in the photo had me tripping.

bombsaway86

• Rep: 164
« Reply #727 on: December 03, 2022, 10:19:48 AM »
HELP!

I’m having an existential crisis trying to decide on my next set of trucks between Independent and Ace.

I’m on Independent now and nothing else grinds as well. I have Ace bushings in them and the turn is almost as good as Ace, but still not quite there. I also love how durable they are, no QC issues like Ace.

I always liked Ace classics, but I always wore them out prematurely (loose kingpins, wallowed out pivot cavity, off-center axles). I had a set of AF1s which were more durable, but I always felt that they had a sticky grind. I ended up giving them away because I didn’t like the way they grind.

I’m really missing the Ace turn/responsiveness and I hear a lot of people say that the AF1s grind really well. Am I crazy for thinking they don’t grind well? Are my expectations too high from riding Indy’s? The classics had a nice grind, but I don’t feel like dealing with all of the QC issues that come with them.

Should I just stick with Indy’s or give AF1s another chance?

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
« Reply #728 on: December 03, 2022, 11:30:15 AM »
HELP!

I’m having an existential crisis trying to decide on my next set of trucks between Independent and Ace.

I’m on Independent now and nothing else grinds as well. I have Ace bushings in them and the turn is almost as good as Ace, but still not quite there. I also love how durable they are, no QC issues like Ace.

I always liked Ace classics, but I always wore them out prematurely (loose kingpins, wallowed out pivot cavity, off-center axles). I had a set of AF1s which were more durable, but I always felt that they had a sticky grind. I ended up giving them away because I didn’t like the way they grind.

I’m really missing the Ace turn/responsiveness and I hear a lot of people say that the AF1s grind really well. Am I crazy for thinking they don’t grind well? Are my expectations too high from riding Indy’s? The classics had a nice grind, but I don’t feel like dealing with all of the QC issues that come with them.

Should I just stick with Indy’s or give AF1s another chance?
classics for sure grind better than the af1s but i didn’t find my pair massively sticky. ace seems to have pretty good customer service and if you have major issues with classics i’ve seen multiple people here get replacements. sometimes they even send af1s

LebowskisRug

« Reply #729 on: December 03, 2022, 11:46:56 AM »
Stick with Indy's. Maybe try different bushings.

Boog

• Rep: 200
« Reply #730 on: December 03, 2022, 04:13:41 PM »

bombsaway86

« Reply #731 on: December 04, 2022, 05:32:11 PM »

Thank you, I picked up a set Indys. I’m going to do something really crazy this time and try to keep the stock bushings. If I still hate them after a few sessions I’ll throw some Ace bushings in

LebowskisRug

« Reply #732 on: December 04, 2022, 08:16:06 PM »
Just get Indy blues or blacks if you need harder, maybe try the Supercush 88 or some other 80ish duro if you need softer. I'm sure the Ace are nice, but buying 2 sets of bushings that still don't end up the right height seems like a pain in the ass and likely unnecessary.

bombsaway86

« Reply #733 on: December 04, 2022, 10:34:55 PM »
Just get Indy blues or blacks if you need harder, maybe try the Supercush 88 or some other 80ish duro if you need softer. I'm sure the Ace are nice, but buying 2 sets of bushings that still don't end up the right height seems like a pain in the ass and likely unnecessary.

I’ve been using Ace low bushings, they’re just barely shorter than the stock bushings. You can also shave down the standard ones. No need to buy two sets.

I had an indoor mini ramp session today on the new set with stock bushings, nut flush. They felt broken in immediately which was nice. Gotta wait for the rain to stop and get a bowl session in to see how they carve. Hopefully I’ll be satisfied so I can stop messing with my trucks

IpathCats

« Reply #734 on: December 05, 2022, 05:54:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I’ve been using Ace low bushings, they’re just barely shorter than the stock bushings. You can also shave down the standard ones. No need to buy two sets.

I had an indoor mini ramp session today on the new set with stock bushings, nut flush. They felt broken in immediately which was nice. Gotta wait for the rain to stop and get a bowl session in to see how they carve. Hopefully I’ll be satisfied so I can stop messing with my trucks

Indy super soft (white) bushings are crazy soft and wont affect your geo, but youll likely have to crank them a bit.

honestly I've found that finding the hardest bushing you can ride with the nut flush on the kingpin is what works best for me. You might be surprised at how surfy hard bushings can feel. All depends on your geo/weight obviously. I rock the indy hard black cylinder. go conical if you want a deeper more consistent turn. I prefer the eventual stopping point of the cylinders though. I run 56mm classics on standard height indys with the nut basically flush, weigh about 170lbs and i hardly get any wheelbite. my wheelbite marks are MUCH smaller than pretty much every other board i see.

bombsaway86

« Reply #735 on: December 06, 2022, 11:33:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Indy super soft (white) bushings are crazy soft and wont affect your geo, but youll likely have to crank them a bit.

honestly I've found that finding the hardest bushing you can ride with the nut flush on the kingpin is what works best for me. You might be surprised at how surfy hard bushings can feel. All depends on your geo/weight obviously. I rock the indy hard black cylinder. go conical if you want a deeper more consistent turn. I prefer the eventual stopping point of the cylinders though. I run 56mm classics on standard height indys with the nut basically flush, weigh about 170lbs and i hardly get any wheelbite. my wheelbite marks are MUCH smaller than pretty much every other board i see.

Tried to ride one of my local parks on the stock Indy bushings and it was terrible. It was in the low 40s today, so the bushings were rock hard and would not turn. I immediately ordered some Ace bushings when I got home. That should end the madness for now

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #736 on: December 07, 2022, 01:00:10 AM »
Indy stock orange mediums work great, but like most bushings out there, they need to be broken in. Aftermarket conical is even better though
Super Champion Fun Zone

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #737 on: December 07, 2022, 02:05:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

honestly, I agree. I’ve been riding white Indy bushings in venture 5.2 hi’s for the past year. no matter how much I skated them, they just still wouldn’t turn. I’ve never rode ventures with stock bushings. so I put the clear ones I got with venture titaniums in. they honestly turn considerably better than the 78a Indy bushings. and I believe all stock venture bushings are 90a.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1084
« Reply #738 on: December 07, 2022, 06:48:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Tried to ride one of my local parks on the stock Indy bushings and it was terrible. It was in the low 40s today, so the bushings were rock hard and would not turn. I immediately ordered some Ace bushings when I got home. That should end the madness for now

I had some Ace bushings laying around and I put them on my Indys to replace some blown out stock bushings, and it improved the truck for me greatly.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 688
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #739 on: December 07, 2022, 06:10:48 PM »
My Madness has returned. I normally ride an 8.25 with 144s. The current episode of Madness has me fucking around with 149s instead of 144s. Somedays I love them. Some days I hate them.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

IpathCats

« Reply #740 on: December 07, 2022, 06:23:53 PM »
My Madness has returned. I normally ride an 8.25 with 144s. The current episode of Madness has me fucking around with 149s instead of 144s. Somedays I love them. Some days I hate them.

I feel that, that was one my my most recent instances of madness. I ride 8.38 though every now and then 8.25.

I felt like unless I was ONLY skating like flat ground, flatbars, and curbs, skating slow, the 149s we're better overall for me.

The stability and hanger space of a 149 outweighed the ease of flip tricks on 144s.

Now that I've been back on the 149s for a while my flip tricks have completely acclimated.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
« Reply #741 on: December 07, 2022, 06:24:46 PM »
Washers….

IpathCats

« Reply #742 on: December 07, 2022, 06:30:16 PM »
Washers….

I always use enough washers to keep my axel nuts flush, no matter the hanger/board size combo.

That's something I've become particular about haha.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1951
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #743 on: December 07, 2022, 06:32:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Washers….
[close]

I always use enough washers to keep my axel nuts flush, no matter the hanger/board size combo.

Washer madness got me too, was setting up a fresh board and wanted to stick with 2 on the inside. As I was cranking the axle nuts down flush it felt like there was too much wiggle on the wheels. Took all 4 nuts off and added 1 more washer on the inside.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 688
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #744 on: December 07, 2022, 06:52:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Washers….
[close]

[close]

Washer madness got me too, was setting up a fresh board and wanted to stick with 2 on the inside. As I was cranking the axle nuts down flush it felt like there was too much wiggle on the wheels. Took all 4 nuts off and added 1 more washer on the inside.

Run one on outside, too, only on inside?
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1951
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #745 on: December 07, 2022, 07:29:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Washers….
[close]

[close]

[close]

1 on the outside, 3 on the inside
So the axles on my threads are never exposed and the nuts will take the brunt of damage. I really hate rethreading axles, broke 3 Silver tools because of rethreading and it's much cheaper / easier to replace the axle nuts.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

LebowskisRug

« Reply #746 on: December 07, 2022, 09:07:55 PM »
The re-threader on the Silver tool is quite poor. The Ace tool has a better one if you'e going the skate tool route. If you do intend on using it I would recommend applying some light oil.

IpathCats

« Reply #747 on: December 08, 2022, 06:24:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Washers….
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
So the axles on my threads are never exposed and the nuts will take the brunt of damage. I really hate rethreading axles, broke 3 Silver tools because of rethreading and it's much cheaper / easier to replace the axle nuts.

I'm using one on the outside and 2-3 on the inside since some of the are different thicknesses. I also like a TINY bit of play in my wheel. feels weird to me then theyre properly snug to the washers, where they still spin freely but dont have any play.

EDIT: Some premium madness right here, ACE classic washer are the best imo since they are the thickest. I get the best fit when i use only those. IMNOTCRAZYYOURECRAZY

Richard Skidder

« Reply #748 on: December 08, 2022, 06:56:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Washers….
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

I'm using one on the outside and 2-3 on the inside since some of the are different thicknesses. I also like a TINY bit of play in my wheel. feels weird to me then theyre properly snug to the washers, where they still spin freely but dont have any play.

EDIT: Some premium madness right here, ACE classic washer are the best imo since they are the thickest. I get the best fit when i use only those. IMNOTCRAZYYOURECRAZY

Are they thicker than the Quantum washers? I actually love how thick Quantum washers are given I’m riding 148 on 8.4

IpathCats

« Reply #749 on: December 08, 2022, 07:17:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Washers….
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Are they thicker than the Quantum washers? I actually love how thick Quantum washers are given I’m riding 148 on 8.4

not sure. i didnt get washers or extra shields when i ordered my quantums back in the day. I think it was before they did that. Hook me up @Quantum_Bearing_Science !