Author Topic: The Injury Thread  (Read 47874 times)

50mm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
Re: The Injury Thread
« Reply #150 on: November 04, 2019, 11:28:41 AM »
Guess I broke my wrist a week ago bombing a hill
. They didn’t follow up and give me the bone dr referall I was waiting on to see if I need a hard cast instead of this softer one. Probably have to go back for more xrays because I have pain in more areas.

Somehow got scabs on my ass and back without ripping my clothes?? Scary fall. First time I felt my body just rolling in the street from my speed. Thought I broke my leg at first.

Lukabrazi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #151 on: November 04, 2019, 12:27:18 PM »
been dealing with a groin/hip issue on my left side  (regular skater, so my front leg) . I was trying to crooked grind a quarter pipe and all the weight went right towards my groin and I ended up limping for almost a month, have only skated twice since mid-september when it happened. still feel pain randomly and don't think its healing properly.

switchbs180

« Reply #152 on: November 04, 2019, 12:29:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Did anyone of you skate with some kind of ankle protection? I am wearing a brace on my right ankle for two years. It makes my foot a bit stiff but that is still better as a broken ankle.

Thanks in advance pals.
[close]

i am off mine at the moment for the first time in almost ten years.
needed it for almost everything. hiking, workout, long working dys, riding bikes, etc.

started on aircast stirrup which i hate. very stiff, gives me bruises, destroys your shoes and prevents muscle buildup; so it slows down healing and motion range regeneration. (not for sports in my opinion, i broke two riding bmx on sideload impacts, when you need them most the part that connects the two pieces just broke out of the case whit a huge snap and pressure releaf, i thought i tore my foot in half)

then moved to push aequi that was very good. not too bulky, decent range of motion with very good stabilization -> https://www.healthproductsforyou.com/p-push-ortho-aequi-ankle-brace.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI49jG9t3Q5QIVjJyzCh1skAoSEAQYBCABEgLLc_D_BwE

last i had a generic wrap (high) that felt more casual but if you wrap it tight so it supports your foot it fucks up your bloodflow and can be uncomfortable over time (toes get numb and shit like that)
and if you wrap it a bit more loosely it seems to me not more protection than a sock. and never made me feel very safe.

so at the moment i am doing lots of stretching (maxing out range of motion) tip toe walk and squats to improve stability and deck-on-soda-bottle-style ballance board. have been better than ever but it was a bitch of a process.

sorry for the novel, i hope it helps.

yo thanks a lot mate. I am glad you are off your brace. I bet it was a mentally battle too.

that brace in the link looks really nice, would you say it could prevent your ankle from tweaking?
Oh and maybe I will steal your idea from the balance board. 😁

switchbs180

« Reply #153 on: November 04, 2019, 12:41:26 PM »
been dealing with a groin/hip issue on my left side  (regular skater, so my front leg) . I was trying to crooked grind a quarter pipe and all the weight went right towards my groin and I ended up limping for almost a month, have only skated twice since mid-september when it happened. still feel pain randomly and don't think its healing properly.

have you already checked this guy?

https://instagram.com/dr.kylebrown?igshid=7ozbky4fvhg2

you might have to reach a bit to find something about hip/groin issues but that page is great.

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #154 on: November 04, 2019, 01:03:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

you might have to reach a bit to find something about hip/groin issues but that page is great.

gonna follow this guy, thanks!

a battle, for sure. started with walking school and made it all the way to being able to skate again after a ten year break...

ankles are just trickt if they are fucked they tend to screw up your knees, hips and back too. so i'd really recommend getting them well asap. don't relly on gear, do workouts and stretch them well. (also keeping them warm helps, like tall socks when you skate)

the aequi push was really stable and prevents rolling your foot inwards. so it was the safest for me.

PMA

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #155 on: November 04, 2019, 01:20:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

much appreciate! I just started physical therapy for a  "spondylolisthesis" in my L4 and L5 vertebraes and I thought that it might have been connected in some way , definitely was looking for a physical therapist out there who skateboarded and could understand the type of trauma

switchbs180

« Reply #156 on: November 05, 2019, 11:06:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

gonna follow this guy, thanks!

a battle, for sure. started with walking school and made it all the way to being able to skate again after a ten year break...

ankles are just trickt if they are fucked they tend to screw up your knees, hips and back too. so i'd really recommend getting them well asap. don't relly on gear, do workouts and stretch them well. (also keeping them warm helps, like tall socks when you skate)

the aequi push was really stable and prevents rolling your foot inwards. so it was the safest for me.

damn mate. much respect that you made it back on the board after ten fuckin years.
I have a vibration plate and try to do some exercises every day. Will try to see a doctor this week and ask him about that aequi push brace. thanks a lot again.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #157 on: January 18, 2020, 12:57:14 AM »
2 weeks ago I went out skating and tried to wall ride a barrier and it ended up clipping on the way up and I got popsicled. I thought I had broken my tail bone but it stopped hurting but now my lower back and hip bug me.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #158 on: January 18, 2020, 05:03:02 AM »
3 weeks ago, fell out of a tree, landed with my already bad ankle in a nice roll position. Tore tendons and shit. Considering this ankle was already the reason I can barely still skate, I hope all this therapy I'm going to do will help me. Going to put in full time effort once I can move it. Going to be 44 in 2 months, trying to not be negative about where I'm at but I definitely have this fear in the back of my mind of "what if I can't skate right again".

winecrab

• Rep: -176
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #159 on: January 18, 2020, 10:16:46 AM »
smashed my face and broke my front 4 top teeth and bit threw my top lip 8ft to flat it was tight cant chew gum any more with out my jaw poping super hard and it will randomly lock when i yawn sometimes but skatebording is cool tho so its chill

Same thing happened to me twice and my jaw also locks up if I open my mouth to big. Here's my Mikey Taylor in bloom injury. When watching it as a kid I hoped that shit never happened to me but when it happened I didn't feel a thing and my friend ended up superglueing it because I don't have health insurance. It took forever to heal and I have a gnarly ads scar know. It happened at lot 11 in Miami before they made all the sick renovations.

I've been skating since 2001 and I got my first knee injury about a year ago. I was dropping into this kinked bubba and slipped at the top and fell off to the side and when I landed on my feet, my right knee tweaked inwards and I can't afford to go to a doctor so not sure if I tore something or what. It's slowed me down from getting gnar but I can still skate. It mostly hurts throughout the night. Any idea on what it could be? It's been a year and it hasn't gotten better at all:

And here are some random bails:

I have tons of other injuries which is making me seriously consider switching from skating rails and hubbas and just skate low impact and tranny stuff for a while. My love for rails won't let me though. To me it's the funniest thing ever hauling ads and grinding some rails.

V.I. Lenin

• Rep: -12
« Reply #160 on: May 13, 2020, 11:11:00 AM »
Last friday last fucking friday i get unemployment so at least i got next couple months time to skate so much, but about one hour ago i rolled my ankle pretty bad. Now im so pissed off and im going to get really drunk.

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #161 on: May 13, 2020, 12:22:46 PM »
update on my earlier post in this thread from November, ended up being a torn labrum in my hip. I was healed up pretty quickly after a cortisone shot in the area and some PT .

been dealing with a foot injury on my left foot since about March. pain consists of burning / tearing feeling when foot is stretched out in the motion that you'd ollie or kickflip. Xrays showed nothing, just got an MRI result back today that says there is a cyst in there but its above where the pain is coming from and the rest of the MRI showed nothing that the doctor could tell me. Got two injections this morning near the area on my foot and prescribed Diclofenac Sodium which apparently is some sort of arthritis anti inflammatory topical, hopefully this causes some relief. But I'm not feeling hopeful.

The pain only occurs is my leg is straightened out. If my knee is bent, the tendons/nerves don't feel like they are being torn if I bend my foot. But when straightening the leg , if my foot is in that position the pain is almost unbearable . I'm not sure if I should take my MRI to another doctor that might be able to see something that this one can't? This injury has fucking sucked the last two months.

hip bruise

• Rep: 11
« Reply #162 on: May 13, 2020, 01:18:31 PM »
Anybody ever deal with pre-patellar bursitis?
I’ve had this bubble of water/swelling under my kneecap for 10 days.

Been icing at night, trying to elevate it & no skating.

Not painful really, at times some warmth and a constricted kind of feeling on the top of my knee.

Apparently I’m 38 years old with a 68 year old’s knee

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 307
« Reply #163 on: May 13, 2020, 01:38:24 PM »
My toes are all wiggly and can’t support my weight when I’m standing or walking. Anyone know what this is? I can’t seem to wear any shoes that don’t cause pain.

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #164 on: July 13, 2020, 10:52:39 AM »
Starting to roll around on a board after about 5 1/2 months out from an ACL surgery. Have hit the PT hard, twice a week at the facility, and everyday at home. Bought a mountain bike and  putting 5-8 miles on it a few times a week. Have started running a mile a few times a week for this past month as well. Knee is starting to feel really strong, and I can do most of my flat ground tricks and ledge tricks with no pain.
Confessed to my PT I had been skating the past few weeks today, and he basically tole me I still need to wait another 3.5 months before I even start flippng my board, which would be 9 months. Ive had conflicting opinions from a few other sources, just wondering what the old heads on SLAP might have to say about a young bull trying to get back on his board. I am so eager to get back to it, but also never want to go through blowing my knee out again.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 307
« Reply #165 on: July 13, 2020, 11:05:28 AM »
Starting to roll around on a board after about 5 1/2 months out from an ACL surgery. Have hit the PT hard, twice a week at the facility, and everyday at home. Bought a mountain bike and  putting 5-8 miles on it a few times a week. Have started running a mile a few times a week for this past month as well. Knee is starting to feel really strong, and I can do most of my flat ground tricks and ledge tricks with no pain.
Confessed to my PT I had been skating the past few weeks today, and he basically tole me I still need to wait another 3.5 months before I even start flippng my board, which would be 9 months. Ive had conflicting opinions from a few other sources, just wondering what the old heads on SLAP might have to say about a young bull trying to get back on his board. I am so eager to get back to it, but also never want to go through blowing my knee out again.
Don’t flip the board til the doc says so. Learn switch back 50s or something. That’s as cool as a kickflip or learn transition.

Yu Dum

« Reply #166 on: July 13, 2020, 11:39:34 AM »
I've had many injuries in my 16 years of skating,  but the notable ones were in the worst times of my life.
Broke my left leg back in 2010 while skating in Maryland
Torn ACL and meniscus in 2011 (damn near complete tear for ACL and completely shattered my meniscus to the point that they had to cut out the remainder)
Broke my left ankle twice in one year. Second time was a week after getting the cast cut off.
Broken fingers on my left hand and broke my left wrist.
Multiple hits to the head (about 5 times over the entire course of time)
Busted the space between my nose and upper lip. Ended up with 4 stitches and two black eyes.
Chipped one of my front teeth as well and it's slowly getting worse.

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1362
« Reply #167 on: July 13, 2020, 12:37:46 PM »
I broke my foot a few years ago and it's recently been giving me problems while skating. It feels like my 5th metatarsal is cramping up with a dull pain from under my small toe to the middle of my foot. I have hardware in there from surgery and I'm worried it might be the issue. No insurance, So no doctor to consult

dofrenzy

« Reply #168 on: August 27, 2020, 08:30:20 AM »
Hey all, wondering if you have advice or guidance here.

I slammed today and did a split, but instead of my knees coming apart for the split, my knees stayed together and my lower legs did a split.  I barely walked off the park, the pain along the insides of my knees is excruciating, and my knees feel loose and wobbly when I (barely) walk.  This happened about 2 hours ago.  My pain shivers stopped about a half hour ago.

My own plan is to brace my knees to prevent the “loose” feeling there but when my wife gets home I’ll want to be able to tell her I got some sound medical advice (I just won’t tell her I got the advice from people who give medical advice as a hobby on SLAP.

Anyway, it was my 3rd day at a new park (concrete) and 1st day with new setup and I fucked up trying to drop in on a 7-foot concrete QP with no coping (just a 6” or so ledge of concrete, I am *new* with concrete).  Fucking bowl at this park has near vertical walls and I guess I pushed myself too much.  On the bright side I was alone so my howls of pain basically aired out of the bowl and into the sky.  Even my cries of pain get better air in a bowl than me.  Fucking skateboarding man....I am wondering if this is enough for me to give up (today is literally the 15 month anniversary of me starting to skate).  I put some pics and a quick clip on my insta a couple days ago (sorry no slam here, just showing the park, Tiverton, Rhode Island)

The QP I slammed from is foreground in the first picture, on the right.

Anyway, I’m wondering if others with similar experience have advice, like “go to a doctor” or “self medicate” the pain.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #169 on: August 27, 2020, 08:37:26 AM »
Honestly that doesn’t sound very good at all mate, go get a mri. I remember you from other thread. Sorry to hear
listen to cosmic psychos

dofrenzy

« Reply #170 on: August 27, 2020, 08:44:33 AM »
Honestly that doesn’t sound very good at all mate, go get a mri. I remember you from other thread. Sorry to hear

Hey thanks matty_c....I guess I expected someone to tell me to get professional help.  I’ll ask my primary physician for a recommendation, thanks for taking the time to provide some input!

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
« Reply #171 on: August 27, 2020, 08:51:31 AM »
I broke my foot a few years ago and it's recently been giving me problems while skating. It feels like my 5th metatarsal is cramping up with a dull pain from under my small toe to the middle of my foot. I have hardware in there from surgery and I'm worried it might be the issue. No insurance, So no doctor to consult

Shit man, I broke my fifth metatarsal while rolling my ankle like four years ago. I get weird cramps in the middle of my foot, too. I found that taking magnesium glycinate helps with my muscle cramps and stretching my toes/feet/ankles (jenkem’s yoga for skaters has some good ones) helps keep everything limber. Word of warning, magnesium supplements make some people need to shit, so try it at home first. Epsom salt baths also helped get some of the deep tissue swelling down. I hope you can work it out.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1159
  • old and in the way
« Reply #172 on: August 27, 2020, 09:33:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Shit man, I broke my fifth metatarsal while rolling my ankle like four years ago. I get weird cramps in the middle of my foot, too. I found that taking magnesium glycinate helps with my muscle cramps and stretching my toes/feet/ankles (jenkem’s yoga for skaters has some good ones) helps keep everything limber. Word of warning, magnesium supplements make some people need to shit, so try it at home first. Epsom salt baths also helped get some of the deep tissue swelling down. I hope you can work it out.

Hey guys, I've also suffered a Jones fracture years ago with a bad sprained ankle. Mine didn't heal right and there is a slight bend to the bone - like a small,  outward triangle protrusion. Oddly from that I can now wiggle my pinky toe independently. The thing that helped me the most is stretching exercises, swimming, and definitely swimming in salt water. I sprained that same ankle really badly about 2.5 weeks ago and I'm just now trying to do a lot of the same recovery stretches and hopefully seeing my acupuncturist this weekend. I was already in a free physical rehab for my knee and back so when I get info from the doctor there I'd be glad to share it. Hope you both feel better.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 09:41:58 AM by funeral_tuxedo »

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #173 on: August 31, 2020, 08:23:59 PM »
Dofrenzy, did you get to the doctors? How’d you go?

Lukabrazi, or anyone that had one, do those cortisone injections hurt? I got one next week

Edit, hip bruise - my mates got a knee like that. He doesn’t skate, it’s from not wearing his ppe. I believe you can get it drained. His doesn’t bother him. But it’s looks weird for sure. I would get it drained. You in construction?
listen to cosmic psychos

Baswell Cerry

• Rep: 0
« Reply #174 on: August 31, 2020, 09:08:29 PM »
Fuck I'm hesitant to post this cuz i don't want to put the dude or the park on blast. It's a big one in the Midwest. I walk in and it smells like fresh cut wood. No skate-light has been laid, just fresh wood table and boxes and metal coping and the dude in charge is watching everyone skate his park. Well Louis B. In an interview was talking about suicide bolts at this time I read Louis' interview and put one on a brand new Krooked silas Baxter Neil guest board which was an inch shorter than I'm used to riding. My inner nose bolt.

Well I go up on the A frame and try a nollie shuv or something and it flips half way and I just land beside it. Then i get the idea to cave man front 50 on the down part. I get on it with just the front truck and clear the end by supermaning to flat. My back shin clips the end and I figure no big deal.

Turns out i hit the damn corner and the dudes who built it didn't think to deburr or round down that A frame ledge.

I go to stand up and put weight on my leg and shit doesn't feel right. I look at the shin of my dark grey Matix Marc Johnson jeans with the shoe string and my long underwear[/s  and see a clean parallel cut down my pants. I roll my leg up and I'm confronted with  the casing of my shin bone along with the muscle around it and my veins illuminated by the park's white lights.

Think...that can't be right...and check again. Yup fucking that's the inside of my leg due to a 2 1/2 clean ass cut. Well I rip my red, white and blue Insight (what happened to them?) flannel and tied it around real tight, . The builder dude came over and offered to drive me to the hospital while I was freaking out and got 9 stitches.

Yo, as a side note. When you get a hospital bill, tell em you cant pay that shit. Often they'll lower the bill. I went from 1,400 to like 600 or something for my visit.
[Applause]

moneymoneymoney

« Reply #175 on: September 01, 2020, 01:06:14 AM »
i rolled my ankle really bad and even after 2 months, its still pretty fried. even worse is that every once in a while, the inside of my foot from my big toe all the way to my arch starts spazzing out and twitches super gnarly. also, when i stretch my legs in bed, my leg from the knee down gets this shooting pain and my entire foot starts shaking uncontrollably. has anyone else experienced this? i can walk but only on flat surfaces. curbs are challenge and stairs are an absolute "no." on inclines, i have to walk diagonally and very slowly.

dofrenzy

« Reply #176 on: September 04, 2020, 06:45:27 AM »
Dofrenzy, did you get to the doctors? How’d you go?

<snip>

Hey matty_c, thanks for thinking of me!  No doctor for me, for this, for now. 

It's been 8 days since really fucking my knees up, and I am assuming I have strained my MCLs, among other joints and ligaments.  I am sure my knees are changed for life.  Left knee is a little worse.

Just back from ~1.5 mile walking the dogs, and definitely the first day my walking speed is near normal, but I won't do anything without my soft Walgreen's leg braces due to the loosy-goosy knees.

As I walk in a straight line, if I try to turn left or right just a little bit, the inside of the knee that is swinging through the outside of the turn barks fiercely.  There are many positions and movements that poke the injuries, and as the knee pain has subsided I am feeling other pains at the top of my thighs and in my hips, but nothing alarming.

I ice the insides of my knees once or twice a day and take breaks to elevate.  Otherwise I try to maintain a low level of activity.  I believe the pain of disuse can easily cause more suffering than the pain of use while injured.

As for doctors, I am going to give it some more time.  It's only been 8 days, I can move better every day, and fuck it, I'll just say it, I'm pretty fuckin' tough anyway.

What about you matty_c, why are you getting cortisone shots?

Hip_bruise,  don't know if it's the same but I got some swelling below my knee-cap too.  It's the reason I got my first knee-brace.  I didn't ice or anything, I just compressed that shit under the knee-brace.  It never hurt but was crazy swollen.  My Instagram has some pics of the knee braces.

dofrenzy

« Reply #177 on: September 04, 2020, 06:54:49 AM »
i rolled my ankle really bad and even after 2 months, its still pretty fried. even worse is that every once in a while, the inside of my foot from my big toe all the way to my arch starts spazzing out and twitches super gnarly. also, when i stretch my legs in bed, my leg from the knee down gets this shooting pain and my entire foot starts shaking uncontrollably. has anyone else experienced this? i can walk but only on flat surfaces. curbs are challenge and stairs are an absolute "no." on inclines, i have to walk diagonally and very slowly.

At this point you might need an x-ray.  I rolled an ankle a few years back a bit of my fibula was broken off by a ligament (rather than the ligament snap, the bone to which it was attached broke off).

Try rolling your foot on a ball, a hard ball like a golf ball or lacrosse or baseball pressing under the arch of your foot.  Also roll the calf on the ball (lay on your back put the ball on a short table or chair with leg on top of ball).  Things might have tightened up in there as you have protected the injury.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #178 on: September 04, 2020, 02:09:27 PM »
Yeah I would keep those braces on for a bit mate. Looks pretty swollen still in picture. Hopefully in time it tightens back up again
But yeah if you can walk I guess it’s alright, just don’t overdo stuff hey. Maybe in a few weeks you could do some light resistance stuff with knees to try make them stronger

I have had a shitty shoulder for years, it’s easy to get it out of socket and that happened again a couple months ago. But it is still pretty sore and doctor said it is actually my ac joint. Arthritis or something. I mean I don’t even know what ac joint is but yeah they think the steroid injection will help so we’ll give it a go.
listen to cosmic psychos

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1612
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #179 on: September 04, 2020, 03:18:51 PM »
Broke my fibula last November.  It was actually more painful having the temporary splint on for a week and a half before surgery.  The PA did a bad job and I had blisters and stuff. It is weird having pins and plates in.  Sometimes I can feel it. I might get them out if it still feels this way in a few months.

Blind Fisherman, I can't even imagine breaking an ankle twice in one year... that would definitely yield some rage sessions for me.

In 2011 I was bombing a hill, fell, and felt a pop in my knee.  The days and weeks following it felt like intense pulling in that one knee if I tried to walk at anything more than a shuffle pace. Since then, I can still feel a pulling sensation if I let my leg dangle in certain positions when I am in bed.

I did get an x-ray and there was nothing.  I REALLY wish I would have pushed them more to do an MRI.  Now that I have health insurance and a good ortho I think I might seek to find out what is really going on.

Funny thing about the 2011 incident, it was the day of the superbowl, and me being the super cool "core" guy decided to refuse to watch the superbowl.  Accident happens and I realized I have to go to a hospital in los angeles so I figure I'll be there 6 hours easy.  I load up all my books in my backpack and my laptop to study.  Also during this period of time I adopted a style of clothing which I referred to as "hobo couture".  I figured that if I looked homeless then when I was out skating people wouldn't ask me for cash.  This did work for the most part.

Anyway, as I go to leave the hospital after getting the x-ray the security was being all gnarly and took me back to the "check out" area to make sure I gave them my insurance information and everything.

I guess my plan to limit people for asking me for money did not work.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate