Author Topic: Vans - Take It Back  (Read 14784 times)

CrappyChan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -54
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Vans - Take It Back
« Reply #90 on: August 13, 2019, 10:36:10 PM »
The Ugly - Ronnie’s song was one of the lamest covers I’ve ever heard, and it was still the best song in the video.  You can dedicate a video to Jake (RIP) without using the shitty music he was into.
I didnt love that rendition either but that wasnt the best song. Listen to Thrasher skate rock volume 1. If you dont connect with the music that helped shape our culture you dont deserve to be a part of it
"From Todd Falcon to Tony Hawk, the Ben Raybourn story"

City of Drunken Totems

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
  • I lovuh da guile
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #91 on: August 13, 2019, 11:31:38 PM »
Rowley's whole part in Chichagof was mini-ramp skating so you guys can calm the fuck down on the low impact hating. That shit came out 15 years ago.
I don't know if you're helping prove our point or not. But ya that's my issue, Haven't really had any interest in watching rowley skate for years now, Not taking anything away from what he's done of course like I said previously his sorry part is one of the best ever. which is why I have no interest in watching him come through and milk it every 3 or 4 years to coincide with some new shoe or whatever the fuck it is. And its funny people keep mentioning reynolds like his low impact skating isn't legit ledge and manny lines with flip tricks, I'd like to see Rowley ollie up a 3 stair in 2019, even a fucking fakie flip in a line would be nice.

I could literally go through each trick he did and explain why it's weak. full disclosure though I will say I was surprised at the half cab heel blunt thing, Not because its a good looking trick(because let's be honest if anyone else did that it would be gross)but because it was probably hard for him.

Bumpovertrash

« Reply #92 on: August 13, 2019, 11:52:45 PM »
Vans must have the record for shittiest video names

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #93 on: August 14, 2019, 12:56:14 AM »
I've watched it twice now. Definitely appreciated it more on the second viewing.

Rowley still has some serious skills on a board. Kind of weird that a lot of stuff felt like revisiting Propeller. Same spots, similar high bridge grind etc but ultimately I'm a fan. Really dug a couple of noseslide pop overs he did (one to straight and one nollie bs 180 out).
Impossible 50 was very stylish.
Pop shuv out of the skate park in London (?) made me think of his pop shuv down Santa Monica triple set. Underrated trick of his.
Song was sick.

Pedro kills it so hard. I'd love to be able to skate this fearlessly.
Cant believe no one has bought up his second last trick- pop shuv/big spin wall jam.
Backside nose pick on the fence was badass too.

Haven't watched much of Ronnie before but he's pretty dope. Good style. Blunt to fakie on the fence was mental.

Overall this is a great format for Vans. Much easier than sitting through full parts from 20+ guys. 15 min vids are the new full length. Could of done with a team montage I guess but I ain't mad.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 12:57:54 AM by Owen »
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

fur lined sea

• Rep: 239
« Reply #94 on: August 14, 2019, 01:38:49 AM »
Pop shuv out of the skate park in London (?) made me think of his pop shuv down Santa Monica triple set. Underrated trick of his.

Always loved this pop shuv at Derby.

1:55
Globes Opinion made me depressed for years.

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #95 on: August 14, 2019, 02:47:12 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Always loved this pop shuv at Derby.

1:55

Another excellent example. They really suck back up to his feet on the catch. Does Rowley have the best bs pop shuv of all time?
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #96 on: August 14, 2019, 05:27:27 AM »
Expand Quote
The Ugly - Ronnie’s song was one of the lamest covers I’ve ever heard, and it was still the best song in the video.  You can dedicate a video to Jake (RIP) without using the shitty music he was into.
[close]
I didnt love that rendition either but that wasnt the best song. Listen to Thrasher skate rock volume 1. If you dont connect with the music that helped shape our culture you dont deserve to be a part of it
A truly oblivious take.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

CrappyChan

« Reply #97 on: August 14, 2019, 06:22:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
A truly oblivious take.
Sorry man, if you mostly skate at the skatepark, listen to trap and dubstep and dont have respect for what came before, you may ride a skateboard but to me you are not a skateboarder

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 362
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #98 on: August 14, 2019, 07:17:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Rowley's whole part in Chichagof was mini-ramp skating so you guys can calm the fuck down on the low impact hating. That shit came out 15 years ago.
[close]
I don't know if you're helping prove our point or not. But ya that's my issue, Haven't really had any interest in watching rowley skate for years now, Not taking anything away from what he's done of course like I said previously his sorry part is one of the best ever. which is why I have no interest in watching him come through and milk it every 3 or 4 years to coincide with some new shoe or whatever the fuck it is. And its funny people keep mentioning reynolds like his low impact skating isn't legit ledge and manny lines with flip tricks, I'd like to see Rowley ollie up a 3 stair in 2019, even a fucking fakie flip in a line would be nice.

I could literally go through each trick he did and explain why it's weak. full disclosure though I will say I was surprised at the half cab heel blunt thing, Not because its a good looking trick(because let's be honest if anyone else did that it would be gross)but because it was probably hard for him.

Milking it? Dude ate SO much shit for this part. Ollie up a 3 stair? He backside flipped up a wall. What video did you watch?
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

heckler

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #99 on: August 14, 2019, 07:40:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
A truly oblivious take.
[close]
Sorry man, if you mostly skate at the skatepark, listen to trap and dubstep and dont have respect for what came before, you may ride a skateboard but to me you are not a skateboarder
I’m imagining you approaching Josh Kalis or Stevie Williams, presenting them with a poorly recorded punk rawk track from 1987, and telling them that if this particular music doesn’t resonate with them they have no place in skateboarding or skateboarding culture and quietly giggling to myself.

Ocelot

« Reply #100 on: August 14, 2019, 07:58:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Milking it? Dude ate SO much shit for this part. Ollie up a 3 stair? He backside flipped up a wall. What video did you watch?

At this point, I'm just glad to see him on a board at all

Imagine demanding Templeton or Saari footage in 2019

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2252
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #101 on: August 14, 2019, 08:40:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Exactly

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

CrappyChan

« Reply #102 on: August 14, 2019, 08:58:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
A truly oblivious take.
[close]
[close]
I’m imagining you approaching Josh Kalis or Stevie Williams, presenting them with a poorly recorded punk rawk track from 1987, and telling them that if this particular music doesn’t resonate with them they have no place in skateboarding or skateboarding culture and quietly giggling to myself.
Kalis would be down, stevie doesnt deserve to be in skateboarding hes a lame and literally cannot drop in on a quarterpipe of any size. He admitted it when he opened a shop with a mini ramp across the street from our local of 20 years...

heckler

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #103 on: August 14, 2019, 09:02:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
A truly oblivious take.
[close]
[close]
[close]
Kalis would be down, stevie doesnt deserve to be in skateboarding hes a lame and literally cannot drop in on a quarterpipe of any size. He admitted it when he opened a shop with a mini ramp across the street from our local of 20 years...
Everything about this is some gatekeeping ass, intentionally exclusionary shit. Stop while you're ahead.

Also: the irony in deriding skating at a skatepark, but your qualifier for a "true" skateboarder is dropping in on a quarterpipe? Okay.

Glurmpz

« Reply #104 on: August 14, 2019, 09:51:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
A truly oblivious take.
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
Everything about this is some gatekeeping ass, intentionally exclusionary shit. Stop while you're ahead.

Also: the irony in deriding skating at a skatepark, but your qualifier for a "true" skateboarder is dropping in on a quarterpipe? Okay.

I'm still laughing at the idea that Thrasher Skate Rock is somehow mandatory to worship. I've never even heard one of those albums but from my experience with Thrasher videos I'd assume it's a compilation of the worst punk rock music in the country. 

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #105 on: August 14, 2019, 10:12:02 AM »
Stevie Williams is one of the illest street skaters ever. Fuck a quarterpipe and most certainly fuck Thrasher skaterock.

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 776
  • dog stuff
« Reply #106 on: August 14, 2019, 10:18:54 AM »
What the fuck is skateboarding culture even these days

ShyLow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 57
« Reply #107 on: August 14, 2019, 10:21:04 AM »
Just stopped by to say I need a new Kyle Walker part in my life

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 776
  • dog stuff
« Reply #108 on: August 14, 2019, 10:27:46 AM »

you can keep it when you find it thx

CrappyChan

« Reply #109 on: August 14, 2019, 01:15:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
A truly oblivious take.
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

I'm still laughing at the idea that Thrasher Skate Rock is somehow mandatory to worship. I've never even heard one of those albums but from my experience with Thrasher videos I'd assume it's a compilation of the worst punk rock music in the country. 
They're from the 80s. Bad punk hadnt happened yet. And would you seriously turn someone pro who couldnt drop in on an x factor ramp? Ill stoo but if youre really into stevie and kalis why are you going to watch this vans video then sit here and complain about it? I didnt watch the dgk video then start in on them, just knew ahead of time i wasnt gonna fuck with it

City of Drunken Totems

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
  • I lovuh da guile
« Reply #110 on: August 14, 2019, 01:45:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

haha just cause he ate "so" much shit doesn't mean he's not milking it. And he backside flipped up a wall out of a snowboard sized kicker so relax, Also a wall that a lot of other tricks have already been done on.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

And When did I "demand" anything? I was simply not feeling this part, And explained why.

And while we're on the topic of Arto and Ed it seems they both know no one needs to see them lowering their standards and trying to put out parts in 2019.

Glurmpz

« Reply #111 on: August 14, 2019, 01:56:52 PM »

They're from the 80s. Bad punk hadnt happened yet. And would you seriously turn someone pro who couldnt drop in on an x factor ramp? Ill stoo but if youre really into stevie and kalis why are you going to watch this vans video then sit here and complain about it? I didnt watch the dgk video then start in on them, just knew ahead of time i wasnt gonna fuck with it

So much to digest!

Ok, first - yes, there was already plenty of crappy music in the 80's and I'm sure Skate Rock was full of it.

What the hell is an X Factor ramp?! I love this alternate reality where dropping in on said ramp is the measuring stick of a real pro.

Lastly - it may be hard to believe, but some people actually like more than one distinct style of skateboarding, and will watch a Vans video AND a DGK video. Crazy, huh? Even crazier, apparently people can express their own opinions without losing their membership to 'real' skateboarding.

Are all the 'real' skaters hanging out at the X Factor ramp and listening to Skate Rock?

Wizard Fight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #112 on: August 14, 2019, 02:48:45 PM »
What are we taking back?

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #113 on: August 14, 2019, 03:21:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
haha just cause he ate "so" much shit doesn't mean he's not milking it. And he backside flipped up a wall out of a snowboard sized kicker so relax, Also a wall that a lot of other tricks have already been done on.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
And When did I "demand" anything? I was simply not feeling this part, And explained why.

And while we're on the topic of Arto and Ed it seems they both know no one needs to see them lowering their standards and trying to put out parts in 2019.

Oh I get it, you don’t know what milking it means. And you think that skating a huge obstacle doesn’t count as skating a huge obstacle because other people have skated it too. My bad man. It would just be easier for everyone if you said “hey guys, I don’t know what I’m talking about, but here it goes” before every post so I could save that ten seconds to look at a gif or something. Thanks in advance homie.

CrappyChan

« Reply #114 on: August 14, 2019, 03:25:33 PM »
X factor ramp aka the plastic kickers everyone from 99 to 2006 had. Stevie admitted he couldnt drop in on said obstacle. 3 year olds can do that shit. Just saying thats totally embarassing. All I said was respect history, not surprised vans put 80s style punk in there

ShyLow

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #115 on: August 14, 2019, 04:06:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

you can keep it when you find it thx

His last part won SOTY but u weren't impressed.  ;D

skatingisntspecialstupid

« Reply #116 on: August 14, 2019, 04:52:29 PM »
Can someone use a tape measure on one of these xfactor ramps? Or maybe stand your board up next to one? I want to know how gnarly they are and how lame Stevie is. I bet he never even body slammed a table at a punxshow.
Don’t dip your head in or your board will end up behind you

os89

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1182
« Reply #117 on: August 14, 2019, 04:58:46 PM »
What are we taking back?

The same thing we do every night, Wizard Fight, try to take over the world!

NegativeCreep

« Reply #118 on: August 14, 2019, 06:17:22 PM »
tnt up to his old tricks I see

Dirk_Diggler

« Reply #119 on: August 14, 2019, 06:56:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Oh I get it, you don’t know what milking it means. And you think that skating a huge obstacle doesn’t count as skating a huge obstacle because other people have skated it too. My bad man. It would just be easier for everyone if you said “hey guys, I don’t know what I’m talking about, but here it goes” before every post so I could save that ten seconds to look at a gif or something. Thanks in advance homie.