Author Topic: Has skateboarding changed or have I???  (Read 4134 times)

GAY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3336
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
Re: Has skateboarding changed or have I???
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2018, 11:12:18 AM »

midevilco

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2018, 11:14:03 AM »
It's funny.  It seems like you've reached the age where you've been around long enough to see the skate scene (and styles) change but not around long enough to realize all of this is just one big cycle.  It's a little different each time, but the overall vibe is basically the same. 

Go back and watch some old Vision skate videos from the mid 80's.  When Vision Street Wear came out back in the day, they had some serious crazy styles and colors.  Dudes were wearing bright colors with big logos, freaking berets with little skulls on em, and multi colored shoes (left foot red, right foot blue) and an extra shirt tucked in the back like a cape (see Hosoi and Gator for examples).  Then Airwalk shoes came out.  Before they kooked out, they actually made some pretty solid skate shoes for a while there.  It wasn't long until the mainstream picked it up.  Hell, I knew Football Jocks in high school who couldn't spell skateboard much less stand on one who wore nothing but Airwalks and had a couple VSW shirts in their rotation.  Swatch is making a comeback now too!  I know I had at least two or three in Junior high.  It's all a big cycle.   I'm 42 and now I'm starting to see stuff i saw as a kid coming out again.   Give it a bit, it'll all come back around eventually.

100% this. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -387
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2018, 11:41:02 AM »
Well I'm mostly around hipster kids who try to skate loose trucks but have no control and look like shit on a board unless I skate real early then it's normal OG's that look like they have jobs and kids because they do...

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 654
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2018, 08:43:44 PM »
According to IASC's numbers skateboarding has less core members and more people who do it occasionally.

They try to blame it on post-modernism, but that is weak excuse and allows them to blame everyone else and not look at themselves.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?