Author Topic: THE GINO IANNUCCI INTERVIEW - Jenkem  (Read 19132 times)

paraquat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 200
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: THE GINO IANNUCCI INTERVIEW - Jenkem
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2014, 04:37:05 PM »

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2014, 06:07:41 PM »
Not to be a dick but I honestly don't believe it's unreasonable to expect footage out of a dude who's getting paid to do a job where producing footage is one of the requirements (or at the very least, an expectation per the status quo). Basically, he's been getting paid a living wage to not do a whole lot for the last 11 years or however long it's been since Yeah Right. I understand he's gone through serious life struggles and I sympathize on that front, but at the same time as a professional whose ass will get fired if I don't produce some kind of work on a day by day basis I don't sympathize with someone who's been able to make his living producing 3 tricks a year for over a decade. I don't think a full part is too much to ask, or even a half of a part. And this is coming from a fan.
What you wrote makes perfect sense but you don't sponsor him. You don't employ him. So what you expect out of a rider is completely irrelevant. The only say you have in any of this is how you spend your money.

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2014, 06:44:45 PM »
Am I the only one that feels Gino might be headed to Pops territory as far as hate and overall let down. I never use to see anybody talk hate on Gino and people would always justify his lifestyle or lack of footage on some kind of Gino only technicality. But I can see people are starting to feel fed up similar to when the pops interviews starting popping up without any footage to back it up.

Bill

• Rep: -32
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2014, 07:15:06 PM »
What's most baffling is that Jason Dill, who I'm almost positive doesn't have two brain cells, now has two board companies. 

So Dill has more cavities than brain cells ? Seems to be working out pretty good for him & Ave. He's been in the industry long enough to know what works, & how to build/run a team. He was with Natas while he wrangled up one of the top teams ever. He learned from the best
Rule #1

Fashion Never Function

shit_for_brains

« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2014, 07:16:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Not to be a dick but I honestly don't believe it's unreasonable to expect footage out of a dude who's getting paid to do a job where producing footage is one of the requirements (or at the very least, an expectation per the status quo). Basically, he's been getting paid a living wage to not do a whole lot for the last 11 years or however long it's been since Yeah Right. I understand he's gone through serious life struggles and I sympathize on that front, but at the same time as a professional whose ass will get fired if I don't produce some kind of work on a day by day basis I don't sympathize with someone who's been able to make his living producing 3 tricks a year for over a decade. I don't think a full part is too much to ask, or even a half of a part. And this is coming from a fan.
[close]

i agree with what you're saying, but why do people act like Gino isn't skating or producing footage anymore? they even posted his most-recent stuff in the interview

different edit with actual skate sounds

and what about someone like Cardiel? he can't film parts anymore, so should he not have a board?

(fuck Daniel Castillo though. lil dude doesn't deserve anythang).

There's a big difference. Gino drinks and spent some time in jail. Cardiel got run over while on tour and physically cannot skate.

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2014, 07:26:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

i agree with what you're saying, but why do people act like Gino isn't skating or producing footage anymore? they even posted his most-recent stuff in the interview

different edit with actual skate sounds

and what about someone like Cardiel? he can't film parts anymore, so should he not have a board?

(fuck Daniel Castillo though. lil dude doesn't deserve anythang).
[close]

There's a big difference. Gino drinks and spent some time in jail. Cardiel got run over while on tour and physically cannot skate.

I hate that argument. Cardiel would without a doubt still be ripping pools and blasting airs had he not got hurt and can be seen riding a board through a park just for fun and the thrill of it still to this day even with his devastating injury. It seems like people have to force Gino to get on a board at this point, which I can see it being a hassle and annoying after a while.

ChillMurray

• Rep: -36
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2014, 07:34:48 PM »
Cardiel and Gino should never be compared as far as deserving a board. Cardiel was forced out the door to a severe injury and still tried to skate when he was told he would never walk again. That's a lot different than self inflicted legal issues. Cardiel is one of the dudes that deserves and hopefully will have a board until he dies.
RIP Pimp C

Bill

• Rep: -32
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2014, 07:37:05 PM »
^^^^
Okay, So what's Danny Garcias excuse then ? Seems like Castillo was riding that train for ever too, But I guess they finally gave Castillo his walking papers. Don't forget Boulala is still listed as a Flip Team rider too

I'm friends with an old pro from the early-mid 90's and he told the Boss to stop making his pro models, Because he was over skating and didn't wanna milk it. Funny thing is, The boss man told him he could still have a pro model & make some extra cash, Even though he pretty much stopped skating & was working his 9-5. He still had a handful of models after his request to stop.

Sorry for name dropping, With out actually name dropping
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 07:42:48 PM by Bill »
Rule #1

Fashion Never Function

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2014, 07:38:54 PM »
you guys are mixing ur weird dreams with  reality.   You look at the recent footy of gino someone posted  (which has sick and original skating) and you go and say that he dosnt deserve this or that. Or saying that he "bites the hand that feeds him"  - i dunno bout all that shit talk
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 07:40:30 PM by givecigstosurfgroms »
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

ill_Murray

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2014, 07:47:27 PM »
Expand Quote
What's most baffling is that Jason Dill, who I'm almost positive doesn't have two brain cells, now has two board companies. 

[close]

So Dill has more cavities than brain cells ? Seems to be working out pretty good for him & Ave. He's been in the industry long enough to know what works, & how to build/run a team. He was with Natas while he wrangled up one of the top teams ever. He learned from the best

I'm not familiar with the man's dental habits.

The team has been around for less than a year, how can you gauge how well it's doing? 

You're talking about many years, many drugs and many beers ago, the last time I saw Dill I mistook him for a homeless person babbling about how he wanted some acid. 
ill murray, can you remind me why you think im a kook

Stanley Spadowski

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 324
  • Can I still be the janitor?
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2014, 08:02:33 PM »
I always have been and always will be a fan of Gino. Maybe a change will be good for him? Sound like he's stoked on a small company shaking up the industry.

"And you know, maybe in the long run you?d rather see more profit, but I?m kind of psyched that it?s not gonna be a Zumiez type board company or something like that."
"These floors are dirty as hell, and I'm not gonna take it any more!"

ROCKxADIO420

« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2014, 08:08:24 PM »
hold the fucking phone how many goddamn cavities does jason dill have?

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2014, 08:40:08 PM »
The article seemed really one sided.

I heard he caused a lot of shit at crailtap over the last few years... and then just leaves.

Don't bite the hand that feeds you

hahahaha you silly bastard, you are funny.

another great interview from jenkem

m477

• Rep: 8
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2014, 09:09:03 PM »
How can anyone compare Gino, pops and Cardiel??

Cardiel - injury/tragedy
Pops - stopped skating, fell of the earth, ???
Gino - still rips with unique style. Give the guy a break, he's 41 and is selective with his coverage, he even admitted he's past his prime. His friends at crailtap/FA like paying him because he's a legend, marketable, inspirational and still skates. If he had no sponsor, slap would be up in arms about such blasphemy

Great interview and I love his current outlook on skating. I also liked hearing his thoughts of when everything got gnarly and his negative "am I relevant" outlook. Cool how some pros have come full circle back to having fun and still be able to maintain a career. Skate industry is tough.

midevilco

« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2014, 09:11:32 PM »
Putting Dill in charge of your career has to be -EV, founders are important.

bandwayrules

• Rep: 2
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2014, 09:20:52 PM »
Pro skateboarders are not paid for producing footage, they are paid for moving product.  Now for most pros that also requires footage, but there are a handful of guys out there who can move units regardless (Gino, Cardiel, Stranger, Howard, etc). 

shark tits

« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2014, 09:24:30 PM »
Pro skateboarders are not paid for producing footage, they are paid for moving product.  Now for most pros that also requires footage, but there are a handful of guys out there who can move units regardless (Gino, Cardiel, Stranger, Howard, etc). 
stop enabling them. boycott whoever ain't had a part in 5 yrs. [except ricky o]

wattscain

« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2014, 09:34:49 PM »
I think some people need to revisit their assumption that Gino is still marketable or has been marketable in over 10 years. The only objective measure of that would be to see how strong his board sells were. It's not a perfect measuring stick but what else you got since he hasn't had a pro shoe in forever. I don't know if we could count those "pro" colorways for Nike because a lot of Nike SB stuff sells regardless of the name attached to it. 

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 386
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2014, 09:37:12 PM »
I think some people need to revisit their assumption that Gino is still marketable or has been marketable in over 10 years. The only objective measure of that would be to see how strong his board sells were. It's not a perfect measuring stick but what else you got since he hasn't had a pro shoe in forever. I don't know if we could count those "pro" colorways for Nike because a lot of Nike SB stuff sells regardless of the name attached to it. 

And judging by the fact that he'd get maybe one or two boards every Chocolate series, he might not have been moving that many boards.

pepperpotts

• Rep: -33
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2014, 10:06:21 PM »
I hope ave and dills work ethic rubs off on Gino and he quits bitching about being 41 and realizes age is just a number and quits being a fucking little pussy

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2014, 10:46:53 PM »
He helps legitimize brands, he did that for SB and will help do that with FA/Hockey. He's a legend and helps balance out the whole young supreme kid vibe due to how many am's are on FA. While I agree comparing Cardiel and Gino is insane, putting him in the same boat as pops is almost as ridiculous. Gino hasn't openly bad mouthed sponsors, is 10 years older, still got some footage for pretty sweet and is a much bigger name. Gino's also never really put out that much footage but what he has is gold, his footage from mouse to yeah right can't be much longer than 6 minutes, and people are putting modern expectations of 3 to 4 minute parts on a guy whose 41.

GeorgeCostanza

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2014, 12:06:35 AM »
Talk of whether or not so and so deserves what is so blown out on slap. Gino still rips.
So Colllin have the same t-shirts, seven years by now, at least...

kools

• Rep: -45
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2014, 01:52:11 AM »

I assume you'll have those figures for us after lunch?
Just pop them on my desk.

ratherwatch

« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2014, 02:10:17 AM »
i like that he's taken a risk and recognized a new movement with small brands taking over in the industry.
Small brands might be taking over in the downsized media because their friends finally hung around long enough to get a half- job in there, but the passe Flips and Elements of this world still shift the units to buy the ads which keep the mainstream skate media alive, for now.
It will be interesting to see how long that paradigm continues when a brand that gets wall to wall coverage still only sells 10,000 boards a year and its team are all broke and selling their sportswear packages.

plod

« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2014, 02:18:09 AM »
Sort of off topic but I bet Pops asked to get on and was turned down. Not cool enough for Dill but with the 101 theme Markovich needs a sponsor..... Lawd knows he rips
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 02:45:29 AM by plod »

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2014, 05:27:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
What you wrote makes perfect sense but you don't sponsor him. You don't employ him. So what you expect out of a rider is completely irrelevant. The only say you have in any of this is how you spend your money.

Exactly.

wattscain

« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2014, 05:28:25 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I assume you'll have those figures for us after lunch?
Just pop them on my desk.

That's my point. I don't expect your average person to have that information therefore all this talk about pros being marketable or a way to balance out a brand is just guesswork. And it's probably the worst kind of guesswork because it's so emotionally driven. This discussion sounds like a bunch of guys with fond memories of a skater that they can't let go so they use it as an excuse for everything.
"He'll be back"
"He's just being selective"
"His name alone is what matters"
"He's 41 now, so..."
"He legitimizes brands"

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2014, 06:41:30 AM »
Gino is more marketable than Dill

slickazballz

• Rep: -5
« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2014, 08:08:19 AM »
I hate that argument. Cardiel would without a doubt still be ripping pools and blasting airs had he not got hurt and can be seen riding a board through a park just for fun and the thrill of it still to this day even with his devastating injury. It seems like people have to force Gino to get on a board at this point, which I can see it being a hassle and annoying after a while.
[/quote]

I think the obvious answer is: if the boards sell, then there's no reason they shouldn't have a board out.  Beyond just the pure business side of it, if a guy was able to make enough of an impression in the industry that he can sell boards even after he's hung it up and is no longer releasing footage, then why shouldn't companies continue to sell his board?

EDIT: I'm obviously not very good at using the quote function on this chatboard.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 08:10:41 AM by slickazballz »

Getty

• Rep: 48
« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2014, 08:16:42 AM »
Jenkem gets the interview we've wanted for years. Killing it.

Gino sounds like he's in a wiser place. Sounds levelheaded and psyched to be healthy and skating. Good fucking news.