Author Topic: Beatrice Domond pro for FA very soon  (Read 276787 times)

Lucky_Basek

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 55
Re: Beatrice Domond pro for FA very soon
« Reply #150 on: August 23, 2022, 05:17:13 PM »
Why would anyone object to a young Black woman, who clearly has a genuine love for skateboarding, being given a pro deck by the highly successful company for which she has been a longtime rider?

Get shit to do.

Hear hear

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
« Reply #151 on: August 23, 2022, 05:28:44 PM »
Why would anyone object to a young Black woman, who clearly has a genuine love for skateboarding, being given a pro deck by the highly successful company for which she has been a longtime rider?

Get shit to do.

Asked and answered.   

She hasn’t improved at all since she was first introduced (not that there has been much in the way of footage to judge this) and since her introduction, the subsequent female skaters that have emerged onto the scene have lapped her several times over in skill and productivity, while having a fraction of the opportunities Beatrice has had (ie multiple vans colorways)   

To give her a board over others feels like a cynical marketing move to capitalize on her being a young black woman rather than rewarding a young black woman (like universally beloved Samarria if an example is needed) for what they bring to skateboarding.   

Most of us understand skateboarding isn’t a meritocracy and that names can sell irrespective of talent, but many struggle to see how she is popular enough considering there are so many other options across many differing demographics for female skaters to look up to than when Beatrice first emerged and was an anomaly.     

dustyassrocketswitchv

• Rep: -137
« Reply #152 on: August 23, 2022, 05:37:58 PM »
Expand Quote

Get shit to do.
[close]

Asked and answered.   

She hasn’t improved at all since she was first introduced (not that there has been much in the way of footage to judge this) and since her introduction, the subsequent female skaters that have emerged onto the scene have lapped her several times over in skill and productivity, while having a fraction of the opportunities Beatrice has had (ie multiple vans colorways)   

To give her a board over others feels like a cynical marketing move to capitalize on her being a young black woman rather than rewarding a young black woman (like universally beloved Samarria if an example is needed) for what they bring to skateboarding.   

Most of us understand skateboarding isn’t a meritocracy and that names can sell irrespective of talent, but many struggle to see how she is popular enough considering there are so many other options across many differing demographics for female skaters to look up to than when Beatrice first emerged and was an anomaly.   

eloquently put. 
big texas cummer

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #153 on: August 23, 2022, 05:48:22 PM »
Expand Quote

Nelly is an example of a non male rider on a trendy brand that doesn't seem like she's being exploited for being female. She tries really hard and eats shit for clips. I don't blame Beatrice for taking the opportunity but it's not a good move on the company's part in the long run to overmarket your rider before she's made her stamp on her own skating. I think she will sell boards in the short run but will run out of steam as having female skaters on your team becomes less and less of an abnormality. Anyways, I hope Nelly turns pro before Beatrice but I don't think that'll be the case.
[close]

This. Exactly who came to mind. Nelly definitely deserves a pro board before Beatrice Domond.
will definitely purchase a Nelly board when the time comes.

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 773
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #154 on: August 23, 2022, 06:14:59 PM »
Any women here to offer their opinion.

Lots of dudes telling a black woman what she should do lol.  Let her skate.

nothing's been the since same

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #155 on: August 23, 2022, 06:15:03 PM »
Expand Quote

Get shit to do.
[close]

Asked and answered.   

Why do you care what opportunities she gets afforded though? It's the decision of F.A. and Vans to utilize their resources to give signature models to whomever they choose. It has nothing to do with you; you either buy it or you don't. I think David Loy's a cornball, but idgaf if Birdhouse makes decks for him; it's no skin of my nose.

Capitalizing on her race? That's a bit of a pessimistic reach, like a conspiracy theory. If you're going to factor in her skin color, at least do it in a positive manner. She's their longtime rider who has been dedicated to their brand pretty much since its inception. Numerous pros have recently departed the brand, leaving multiple spots to fill. Why not her? Enjoi can do whatever they want with Samarria. Usually we criticize companies for leaving certain riders as forever-ams and never acknowledging them with pro decks (i.e., Shorty's with Toan or Menace/City Stars with Javier). Here we have a company doing the right thing, and you want to fault them for it?

Again, what's it to you? If F.A. spends their money on a signature model for her, it's either going to sell or not sell. If it sells, cool. If it doesn't, it won't make sense financially and they'll stop making it.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #156 on: August 23, 2022, 06:49:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Get shit to do.
[close]

Asked and answered.   

[close]

Why do you care what opportunities she gets afforded though? It's the decision of F.A. and Vans to utilize their resources to give signature models to whomever they choose. It has nothing to do with you; you either buy it or you don't. I think David Loy's a cornball, but idgaf if Birdhouse makes decks for him; it's no skin of my nose.

Expand Quote
[close]

Capitalizing on her race? That's a bit of a pessimistic reach, like a conspiracy theory. If you're going to factor in her skin color, at least do it in a positive manner. She's their longtime rider who has been dedicated to their brand pretty much since its inception. Numerous pros have recently departed the brand, leaving multiple spots to fill. Why not her? Enjoi can do whatever they want with Samarria. Usually we criticize companies for leaving certain riders as forever-ams and never acknowledging them with pro decks (i.e., Shorty's with Toan or Menace/City Stars with Javier). Here we have a company doing the right thing, and you want to fault them for it?

Expand Quote
[close]

Again, what's it to you? If F.A. spends their money on a signature model for her, it's either going to sell or not sell. If it sells, cool. If it doesn't, it won't make sense financially and they'll stop making it.

Oh come on.   Nothing that is discussed on these boards ever really effects any of us in a personal way, nor does what a company spends their money.   That’s kind of a disingenuous argument to make on a skateboarding message board and also doesn’t hold much water as a personal ideology (if it doesn’t affect me, let people do what they want)

You brought up skin color first, so don’t get at me for responding to that.   If you don’t think Dill wasn’t trying to Malcolm MacLaren it up and go for a “look” over talent, as Baker and others have done on occasion in it past then I admire your lack of cynicism.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #157 on: August 23, 2022, 07:05:24 PM »
I bring up her race because, in America, Black women are one of the most discriminated against groups of people (as I understand it, just a couple spots less-discriminated against than disabled lesbian/queer/trans Black women).

So when a Black woman finds success in her chosen field in this country, it makes sense to celebrate it rather than discount it.

Especially when, by all accounts, said Black woman seems to be genuine, loyal and a positive force in the community.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #158 on: August 23, 2022, 07:40:58 PM »
I bring up her race because, in America, Black women are one of the most discriminated against groups of people (as I understand it, just a couple spots less-discriminated against than disabled lesbian/queer/trans Black women).

So when a Black woman finds success in her chosen field in this country, it makes sense to celebrate it rather than discount it.

Especially when, by all accounts, said Black woman seems to be genuine, loyal and a positive force in the community.

I have no idea about the last line - is she?   

Completely agree about the discrimination, which is why I mentioned when someone like Samarria (who everyone agrees fits the criteria you named) went pro, everyone was uniformly stoked.   Out of curiosity, what do you chalk the mixed feelings about Beatrice going pro up to?   

(Looking into it, there is a dearth of black female skaters as opposed to white American, Canadian, Asian, European, South American ones.   Outside of Samarria, Beatrice, and Briana King, I don’t personally know more Black female skaters names.    That may be a separate issue outside of this, or it maybe is exactly the issue)

Johnny $witchblade

• Rep: -87
« Reply #159 on: August 23, 2022, 07:45:48 PM »

Nobody's telling a black woman what she should do wtf.

Johnny $witchblade

« Reply #160 on: August 23, 2022, 07:47:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Get shit to do.
[close]

Asked and answered.   

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

David loy is definitely a cornball his skill undeniable.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #161 on: August 23, 2022, 07:53:46 PM »
Out of curiosity, what do you chalk the mixed feelings about Beatrice going pro up to?   

Busybody haters trying to take food out of a Black woman's mouth.

Johnny $witchblade

« Reply #162 on: August 23, 2022, 07:55:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Get shit to do.
[close]

Asked and answered.   

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

Bro...you factored in her skin color in like the first sentence of your original post.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #163 on: August 23, 2022, 08:09:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Out of curiosity, what do you chalk the mixed feelings about Beatrice going pro up to?   
[close]

i meant, what do you chalk up the different reactions for Samarria and Beatrice to?

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #164 on: August 23, 2022, 08:28:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

i meant, what do you chalk up the different reactions for Samarria and Beatrice to?

No offense (I think we generally agree on subjects) but that's just not something I would ever even spend any time analyzing.

If I had to give you an answer, I would say busybody haters trying to take food out of a Black woman's mouth.

Johnny $witchblade

« Reply #165 on: August 23, 2022, 08:41:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

No offense (I think we generally agree on subjects) but that's just not something I would ever even spend any time analyzing.

If I had to give you an answer, I would say busybody haters trying to take food out of a Black woman's mouth.

You're way too obsessed with her skin color to the point that it comes off insincere.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #166 on: August 23, 2022, 08:51:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

You're way too obsessed with her skin color to the point that it comes off insincere.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #167 on: August 23, 2022, 08:53:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

That’s fair.   And I agree that you and I are often on the same page, which is why I was interested in probing this area of disagreement a little more.   

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #168 on: August 23, 2022, 10:35:19 PM »
Much respect, Atiba Applebum.

Don

• Rep: -31
« Reply #169 on: August 24, 2022, 12:25:31 AM »
Really happy for Beatrice, fuck slap

Scrotal_Recall

« Reply #170 on: August 24, 2022, 02:30:31 AM »
This thread is such a drag - you sound like a bunch of 75 yr olds

Diamond_Dallas_Pudge

• Rep: -46
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #171 on: August 24, 2022, 03:04:27 AM »
What the fuck are you all talking about

Nobody with a No comply like that should be pro

zahed

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: -24
« Reply #172 on: August 24, 2022, 06:48:39 AM »
Make Beatrice pro, FA!

Make Nelly pro, Limo!

caked

• Rep: -12
« Reply #173 on: August 24, 2022, 06:52:59 AM »

woman here. for me personally, Beatrice is eclipsed by several other skaters: Samarria Brevard, Ariana Spencer, Adrianne Sloboh, Arin. I don't follow her skating for a reason, it just hasn't entranced me. It also seems like she's trying to do some modeling as well and that rubs me the wrong way. I personally hate the whole trend of pro skaters being models on the side. Seems whack but I'm aware that I love to be judgmental.

I think it's great that Beatrice is potentially going pro but I also don't care either way. She's not really on my radar and that's okay. I don't follow the FA team nor does the brand really attract me, so it's whatever.

I can't really comment on the social/cultural magnitude of Beatrice potentially becoming pro - I am a woman, but I'm white so my privilege affords some bias. I assume and hope that there are younger black skaters that are STOKED on this news. That is a win no matter the circumstances. Giving the BIPOC women skate scene more representation, more visibility, is absolutely a net positive for the community.

As an aside - there are a few women skaters that I am anxiously awaiting becoming pro for their board sponsors: Nicole Hause, Andrea Benitez, Jenn Soto, Candy Jacobs to name a few.

More women pros pls. I want to buy their boards lmao

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #174 on: August 24, 2022, 08:19:02 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

woman here. for me personally, Beatrice is eclipsed by several other skaters: Samarria Brevard, Ariana Spencer, Adrianne Sloboh, Arin. I don't follow her skating for a reason, it just hasn't entranced me. It also seems like she's trying to do some modeling as well and that rubs me the wrong way. I personally hate the whole trend of pro skaters being models on the side. Seems whack but I'm aware that I love to be judgmental.

I think it's great that Beatrice is potentially going pro but I also don't care either way. She's not really on my radar and that's okay. I don't follow the FA team nor does the brand really attract me, so it's whatever.

I can't really comment on the social/cultural magnitude of Beatrice potentially becoming pro - I am a woman, but I'm white so my privilege affords some bias. I assume and hope that there are younger black skaters that are STOKED on this news. That is a win no matter the circumstances. Giving the BIPOC women skate scene more representation, more visibility, is absolutely a net positive for the community.

As an aside - there are a few women skaters that I am anxiously awaiting becoming pro for their board sponsors: Nicole Hause, Andrea Benitez, Jenn Soto, Candy Jacobs to name a few.

Sloboh I was trying think of her as someone more deserving than Beatrice. Does she not have Insta? All the tags meow puts on don’t lead anywhere. Also sheena (some one posted her killing a diy and has style) both more deserving and people of color.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2022, 09:53:06 AM by Murge »

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #175 on: August 24, 2022, 08:27:45 AM »
I'm imagining BEATRICE written in huge gothic font with barbed wire accents, and I'm not mad.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #176 on: August 24, 2022, 08:29:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Sloboh I was trying think of her as someone more deserving than Beatrice. Does she not have Insta? All the tags meow puts on don’t lead anywhere. Also sheena (some one posted get killing a diy) both more deserving and people of color.
Is it Highlander rules?

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #177 on: August 24, 2022, 09:54:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Sloboh I was trying think of her as someone more deserving than Beatrice. Does she not have Insta? All the tags meow puts on don’t lead anywhere. Also sheena (some one posted get killing a diy) both more deserving and people of color.
[close]
Is it Highlander rules?

No because one of the names mentioned isn’t close to being a Highlander like the other 2.

I get your point though.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #178 on: August 24, 2022, 10:12:53 AM »

Are you a part of the community that she is? It seems like you assume a lot. In many interviews with female pros they mention that there seems to be a consensus that certain females who's skill and reach is not on par are afforded opportunities for her looks. It's not about Beatrice being a black woman it is about Dill exploiting that. Now, it's his brand and he can do what he wants, but in skating the tradition has always been that there has to be some demonstration of skill or representation on a consistent basis for some time before a pro status is afforded. This is the reason that so many people had issues with the Braille camp. Beatrice doesn't put out footage, doesn't seem to have reach beyond the immediate NYC Supreme inner circle, and what she does put out is on par with your local skatepark skaters that have been at it a year or two.

Why does it matter? Skating is constantly full of stories of riders who had all the talent and good will but were passed on for various reasons be it timing, brands folding, or simply not being as marketable as others. There are limited roster spots and a shit ton of people vying for them at any given time and Beatrice being given a coveted spot does not significantly elevate any aspect of skating. You can play the "young black woman" card all you want, but you can also go on Instagram and find plenty young non-white female skaters that are ripping far harder and it's fairly obvious that she is where she is because of who is backing her.

Personally I don't care as FA has recently been much more about marketability and image over substance.  Dill constantly finds and promotes riders that sell to 15 year old kids of which I am not one. Sean Pablo, for example, isn't bad but I simply don't care about his style and image. Teenagers who are finding their own identity in life might appreciate him more and that's totally cool, but it's not like we can't acknowledge that basic fact and let it be what it is.

$$LESH

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Rep: 165
« Reply #179 on: August 24, 2022, 10:50:31 AM »
maybe i’m bias because i grew up around her for a long time but she’s always been very intelligent and genuinely a good person. i’m really happy for her, she deserves it.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 09:35:31 AM by $$LESH »