Author Topic: Beginning of the end for ZUMIEZ?!?  (Read 5925 times)

white rapper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -80
Beginning of the end for ZUMIEZ?!?
« on: June 06, 2016, 06:56:02 AM »

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
Re: Beginning of the end for ZUMIEZ?!?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 07:12:50 AM »
pizza griptape fans mourn
good come sausage

via

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 239
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 07:25:04 AM »

straight

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 07:30:09 AM »
+1 for Nike

brwrxstl

• Rep: -71
    • Tumblr avatar image
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 07:42:35 AM »
Let's be real without Zumiez there probably won't be too many core shoe companies left for people to pretend they care about...

Dontfearthereefer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -232
  • Head kook
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 07:52:54 AM »
The zumeiz here only carries Nike/vans/cons/supra. So I don't know how that will affect core brands..
Not much of a surprise though, whatever zumiez carries west has for 10$ cheaper.

If there is a God he'd give my city a shop

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 889
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 08:24:45 AM »
I always forget wht a nice head of hair Bruce Willis had in Die Hard.

sfa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 178
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 09:45:26 AM »
The reason Zumiez sales are down are the same exact reasons most core skate shops have seen a decline in sales. A lot of the brands that were really paying the bill fell through the floor.

Core skaters have a hard time realizing/accepting this, but brands like Diamond, Obey, the Hundreds, Rook ect. really helped skate shops stay ahead in terms of dollars, sometime even keeping shops in business.

There are some really great stores out there that haven't gone down that trend road, but few of them are making bank.

If you really want your local core skate shop to stay around, really think about the fact that every dollar from every skater matters. Including you.
I need a coffee

beazlocal

• Rep: -28
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2016, 10:00:36 AM »
Let's be real without Zumiez there probably won't be too many core shoe companies left for people to pretend they care about...

Opposite really, big sport brands etc can't survive without zumiez, smaller core brands can and do

Hope they disappear and take with them all the sports brands too, see ya fucking later suits

PAWL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -68
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2016, 10:18:05 AM »
its just a loss in quarter 1..... fuckers probably easily make up for it during christmas.
yo mike mo new age ape style high five with my reborn hand.

2008 psychedelic experience. thanks.

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 118
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2016, 10:27:30 AM »
The zumeiz here only carries Nike/vans/cons/supra. So I don't know how that will affect core brands..
Not much of a surprise though, whatever zumiez carries west has for 10$ cheaper.

The thing is Zumiez keeps alot of your major hard goods companies in business, if Zumiez goes out of business companies like your Girls, DLX, Dwindle, Baker, Kayo, NHS, Habitat, Sk8mafia, tum Yeto are all gonna suffer. Zumiez orders so much stuff from all these brands that their mininum operation cost are probaly based on Zumiez numbers. Companies will scrap whole lines if Zumiez decides they wont carry it. Maybe this will work better for the smaller companies cuz theyre all ready in good with the locally owned and operated shops, but i can't see small brick and mortar shops picking up the slack for a loss of Zumiez sales for your big brands.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2016, 10:29:33 AM »
Also online companies just hugely effect brick and motor stores. Back in the days, you could never order straight from companies but now most stores all have an inline system and even offer discount pricing on top of that with free shipping. There really is no need to go to a Zumiez unless you are in a real need to get stuff early. Zumiez should just be an online store as well. I am sure all the mall shops brings sales down to a degree.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Sold Out

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 94
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2016, 10:38:53 AM »

This has to be one of the dumbest comments ever made on slap... You actually think Zumiez is helping core shops?

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2016, 10:46:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This has to be one of the dumbest comments ever made on slap... You actually think Zumiez is helping core shops?

Bread Harrity

• Rep: 244
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2016, 11:03:46 AM »

SLAYERrules666

• Rep: -9
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2016, 11:11:36 AM »
They are worth roughly $177,000,000. With minimal debt. Losing $2,000,000 ain't a good thing but it ain't breaking the bank.

concerned_parent

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2016, 11:24:34 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
good come sausage

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2016, 11:37:13 AM »
They are worth roughly $177,000,000. With minimal debt. Losing $2,000,000 ain't a good thing but it ain't breaking the bank.
Their stock dropped a couple of cents, that's it. Also, the entire market has been posting losses, even Apple did this quarter. Zumiez is going along with the rest of the economy. I bet your favorite local shop didn't do very well last quarter either.
The strange thing is the financial markets overall are hardly budging, and even slightly rising at times, despite insanely bad news- major companies are all posting losses, hiring virtually stopped last month across the economy. Honest advice Pals, hunker down, make sure your boss likes you, and start saving, shit may hit the fan HARD soon economically. The fact that things haven't really budged all that much even with that news is the scariest part.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2016, 12:29:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Their stock dropped a couple of cents, that's it. Also, the entire market has been posting losses, even Apple did this quarter. Zumiez is going along with the rest of the economy. I bet your favorite local shop didn't do very well last quarter either.
The strange thing is the financial markets overall are hardly budging, and even slightly rising at times, despite insanely bad news- major companies are all posting losses, hiring virtually stopped last month across the economy. Honest advice Pals, hunker down, make sure your boss likes you, and start saving, shit may hit the fan HARD soon economically. The fact that things haven't really budged all that much even with that news is the scariest part.

I hope you are right. My job isn't totally recession proof but it's better than some jobs. I can't wait for housing to plummet again.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

concerned_parent

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2016, 12:41:58 PM »
let's start a kickstarter to buy all the huf socks
good come sausage

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2016, 12:47:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I hope you are right. My job isn't totally recession proof but it's better than some jobs. I can't wait for housing to plummet again.
Me too. It would mean that I could possibly purchase a shoe box sized apartment only an hours travel from my place of work.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2016, 01:06:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
Me too. It would mean that I could possibly purchase a shoe box sized apartment only an hours travel from my place of work.

When the kids currently being crippled by student loans come of the age people usually buy houses and they go "uh oh we don't have any money", you'll be able to buy whole city blocks.

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2016, 01:08:33 PM »
Somewhere I was reading it's imminently based on the false presumption on the housing market and investing in it, and schools. If you're interested check out Kevin O'leary housing market and James altucher college
Zumiez has a quality design they can actually sell but on the flipside any of those brands has to actually do good or already be doing good - so it's supposed to be a medium between the skateshop not a replacement and I've always looked at it that way even before with Pacsun they couldn't replace skateshops
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

brwrxstl

• Tumblr avatar image
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2016, 01:11:34 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
The thing is Zumiez keeps alot of your major hard goods companies in business, if Zumiez goes out of business companies like your Girls, DLX, Dwindle, Baker, Kayo, NHS, Habitat, Sk8mafia, tum Yeto are all gonna suffer. Zumiez orders so much stuff from all these brands that their mininum operation cost are probaly based on Zumiez numbers.

+1 That's exactly what I was thinking for companies like Globe, DVS, and Lakai too.

brwrxstl

• Tumblr avatar image
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2016, 01:25:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I feel like things always slow down before there's an election

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2016, 02:36:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I feel like things always slow down before there's an election
During the Gilded Age, the most unstable point in American economic history, there was a recession about once every 7 years. Counting back, 2008, 2001, 1992....we're getting close to that point again, and it wouldn't shock me if, without any intervention, we've fallen more or less back into that 7 year rollercoaster business cycle.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2016, 06:46:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think the point he's trying to make is companies like Lakai, Soletech were heavily bankrolled by non core shops.....

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2016, 06:59:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Opposite really, big sport brands etc can't survive without zumiez, smaller core brands can and do

Hope they disappear and take with them all the sports brands too, see ya fucking later suits
You don't know what you are talking about. Active having a massive restructuring and going into bankruptcy protection hurt core brands way worse than Nike or Adidas. The reason is, so much stuff is sold to them on co-consignment, that if those stores go out of business those brands are left owed a lot of money. That can be fatal to smaller brands, Nike can write it off as the cost of business. Remember when Active came out of bankruptcy they started talking about being core and not carrying Nike anymore, the main reason for that is likely Nike wrote them off and wouldn't do business with them, whereas Sole Tech, Crailtap, Black Box etc were owed so much money by Active that they needed to help get them out of that hole.

Salty Lame Ass Poosey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -265
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2016, 07:00:25 PM »

Zumiez stores are designed with an "organized chaos" theme "that is consistent with many teenagers' lifestyles."[6] Zumiez stores are stocked with couches and video games to encourage customers "to shop for longer periods of time and to interact with each other and the store associates."
Skateboarding don't owe you shit but wheel bite in the rain -Jake Pheps

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1078
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2016, 07:33:44 PM »
My guess is that 2mil is mostly footwear and some apparel.
Hardgoods are working across the country, more people are skating, less people feel the need to directly support A shop for their shoes and clothing unless it's A small specific brand only available there, but they want that shop deck/small brand deck.
If by mid year they continue to decline they might consider closing a few doors and having more meetings about who is buying what and how to cater to them.