Author Topic: The Thunder Thread  (Read 139039 times)

CarcassToss

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 27
Re: The Thunder Thread
« Reply #2130 on: May 08, 2024, 12:55:19 PM »
From what someone has told me about their set they turn like an Indy Forged and still have a Thunder pop feel. So, I guess a Venture cast with more immediate turn, shorter WB, lighter pop, not sure about kingpin clearance or anything else. Shop owner proclaimed them as his new favorite truck and loves the set he tested so hopefully they aren't terrible or as flawed as many other updates/offerings from major brands. It definitely rekindled my gear nerdery and excitement.

Dmng

• Rep: 11
« Reply #2131 on: May 08, 2024, 02:01:04 PM »
I’ve just changed the blue bushings out of my hollow light for the red rebuild kit and they can’t both be same 90 duro. The stocks light blue ones feel much harder
  Thanks Tom & slap members!

I’m curious to ride it tomorrow ! Hopefully I won’t discover wheelbite city 
« Last Edit: May 08, 2024, 03:37:44 PM by Dmng »

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1008
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #2132 on: May 08, 2024, 02:22:01 PM »
The last thing I'd want is a slower turning thunder (unless it's after the apex where they bite)...but even then...

DinnerDog425

• Rep: 14
« Reply #2133 on: May 08, 2024, 04:32:50 PM »
I’ve just changed the blue bushings out of my hollow light for the red rebuild kit and they can’t both be same 90 duro. The stocks light blue ones feel much harder
  Thanks Tom & slap members!

I’m curious to ride it tomorrow ! Hopefully I won’t discover wheelbite city
I had the same issue with the black bushings that came with a set of night hollows. Swapped in the orange 90 duro bushings night and day difference.

diplodocus

• Rep: 154
  • long neck
« Reply #2134 on: May 08, 2024, 10:50:56 PM »
Madness got the better of me. I switched up from 149 to 151 on my 8.5 and it skates so much better now. So much more stable. Everything just feels way better. I've only skated 8.5 trucks for the last few years.  Previously didn't want to size up cause of weight, but decided I would try since it would be on hollow lights. Wish I tried this sooner.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2135 on: May 09, 2024, 12:53:00 AM »
Nothing beats trucks bigger than board. Skating 8.25 in 149 and it feels perfect.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

someguy185

• Rep: 0
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2136 on: May 09, 2024, 04:21:51 AM »
It’s funny, seems to be a lot feedback on Thunder that the trucks aren’t so good but they’ve got such a stacked team.

Just about to ride my 148’s on an 8.38. Upped in size for first time since an 8.25.

Also why are the team hollows so hard to find in raw?

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1973
« Reply #2137 on: May 09, 2024, 05:46:43 AM »
Madness got the better of me. I switched up from 149 to 151 on my 8.5 and it skates so much better now. So much more stable. Everything just feels way better. I've only skated 8.5 trucks for the last few years.  Previously didn't want to size up cause of weight, but decided I would try since it would be on hollow lights. Wish I tried this sooner.

I've been planning on trying this the next time I set up a board and reading this is validating. I happen to have some standard 151s on a cruiser, and I'm hoping having just a smidge more truck will be beneficial.

CarcassToss

« Reply #2138 on: May 09, 2024, 07:05:54 AM »
It’s funny, seems to be a lot feedback on Thunder that the trucks aren’t so good but they’ve got such a stacked team.

Just about to ride my 148’s on an 8.38. Upped in size for first time since an 8.25.

Where is this feedback? I love Thunders and see tons of happy riders on them. Locally they're tied for most common truck with Indy.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2238
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #2139 on: May 09, 2024, 08:53:45 AM »
It’s funny, seems to be a lot feedback on Thunder that the trucks aren’t so good…
Wait… What?!?
Thunders are great trucks: pop is my favorite, pinch is fantastic, generally quite light, turn is practically telepathic it’s so quick to initiate.
Their only downside for me is that that same reactive turn is limited by how soon you get into wheelbite territory.
I don’t run risers, generally so at my preferred setting, I’m unable to ride anything above a 53mm wheel w/o getting pitched ass-over-teakettle coming out of anything fakie/switch because I suck & my technique is shit.
But Thunders… really solid trucks.
Just throw some risers under them if you ride ‘em looser & wanna run 54mm or up.
Somehow, after decades spent almost exclusively on Thunders, all of my set ups are now either Indy or Ace.
A tragic, really.
Def going to look into these new “T2” versions if they ever come out.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2024, 09:04:35 AM by Lou Strux »

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

diplodocus

• long neck
« Reply #2140 on: May 09, 2024, 09:00:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've been planning on trying this the next time I set up a board and reading this is validating. I happen to have some standard 151s on a cruiser, and I'm hoping having just a smidge more truck will be beneficial.

For what it’s worth I searched a bunch on here to see the consensus on 151 on 8.5 and there was only positive feedback. So definitely worth trying.

someguy185

• Rep: 0
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2141 on: May 09, 2024, 09:34:09 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Where is this feedback? I love Thunders and see tons of happy riders on them. Locally they're tied for most common truck with Indy.

I have seen a fair bit of talk around the base plate length being an issue. Additionally I see the venture thread is about 3 times as long. Seems a lot more interest and discussion going on there.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 309
« Reply #2142 on: May 09, 2024, 09:49:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I have seen a fair bit of talk around the base plate length being an issue. Additionally I see the venture thread is about 3 times as long. Seems a lot more interest and discussion going on there.
The reason for this. The sole reason for this is Bobby Worrest.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1008
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #2143 on: May 09, 2024, 10:03:04 AM »
Expand Quote
It’s funny, seems to be a lot feedback on Thunder that the trucks aren’t so good…
[close]
Wait… What?!?
Thunders are great trucks: pop is my favorite, pinch is fantastic, generally quite light, turn is practically telepathic it’s so quick to initiate.
Their only downside for me is that that same reactive turn is limited by how soon you get into wheelbite territory.

I don’t run risers, generally so at my preferred setting, I’m unable to ride anything above a 53mm wheel w/o getting pitched ass-over-teakettle coming out of anything fakie/switch because I suck & my technique is shit.

It's as if you read my mind. I swear it's the ONLY truck that fucks with me soooo bad coming out fakie/switch (I've mentioned that before and got berated).

Do you run stock? I've been messing around with the 97/100 thunder bushings and they really help while not really feeling 'tight' or restricted...BUT I have to run ~52 mm wheels (cast or forged).

diplodocus

• long neck
« Reply #2144 on: May 09, 2024, 10:24:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
The reason for this. The sole reason for this is Bobby Worrest.

Ha yeah when that Bobby Venture part dropped a while back, it had everyone wanting to switch to Ventures. Myself included.

I think most of the dislike of Thunders comes from the Indy/Ace crowd so I don't take it very seriously since the trucks are just so different. Thunders main issues are wheelbite, stock bushings, and baseplate. Imo the baseplate thing is so overblown. It can be managed with changing technique or harder wheels. I'll die on this hill.

Thunders aren't flawless, but for me it is easy enough to manage the flaws by changing my wheels and bushings. I'm running 97a Thunder bushings with Riptide pivot cups and 53mm conical wheels.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2145 on: May 09, 2024, 10:49:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Wait… What?!?

[close]

It's as if you read my mind. I swear it's the ONLY truck that fucks with me soooo bad coming out fakie/switch (I've mentioned that before and got berated).

Do you run stock? I've been messing around with the 97/100 thunder bushings and they really help while not really feeling 'tight' or restricted...BUT I have to run ~52 mm wheels (cast or forged).
@Xen, was running stock 90s.
Prolly should’ve put a barrel in there before throwing in the towel.
90 barrel bottom & a 92-94 top might’ve got ‘em where I wanted them.
Gave my last set away to @BartHarleyJarvis a while ago so I may just have to die wondering.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #2146 on: May 09, 2024, 10:52:45 AM »
I mostly rode Indys. My noseslides were okay, not great but I could do them. Although never really long. Now I am on Thunders and my noseslides are still mediocre. But it feels like, the Thunder baseplates could help me to learn better noseslides someday.
IG: @flowterspace

CarcassToss

« Reply #2147 on: May 09, 2024, 11:41:57 AM »
I've had stock 90's that feel like marshmallows and other that feel like rocks. The newer clear blue ones seem harder.

I've ran 54's on Thunders for years, medium tight. I don't wheelbite more, but when I do I'm not riding out of it like I can with other trucks. If I didn't currently only own Ventures and want to ride them into the ground I'd likely be on Thunders.

Obijuan91

• Rep: 18
« Reply #2148 on: May 09, 2024, 01:37:15 PM »
I had a thunder itch and I got my hands on my old 147s skated them on a 14 inch wheelbase. Itch gone. Idk why the pop felt better on 149 thunders for some reason but I’m completely over them. Team Indy and Royal. That is all. Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2024, 03:24:49 PM by Obijuan91 »

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1154
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #2149 on: May 09, 2024, 03:10:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Wait… What?!?

[close]

[close]
Gave my last set away to @BartHarleyJarvis a while ago so I may just have to die wondering.

I rode them with love @Lou Strux

I actually think they're in the hands of @Gene_Harrogate now.....

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2150 on: May 09, 2024, 03:19:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Wait… What?!?

[close]

[close]
[close]

I rode them with love @Lou Strux

I actually think they're in the hands of @Gene_Harrogate now.....
Sisterhood of the Traveling Thunders.
Beautiful!