Author Topic: Independent Trucks Mid  (Read 75994 times)

LebowskisRug

Re: Independent Trucks Mid
« Reply #630 on: June 30, 2023, 09:02:30 PM »
Are yours forged or normal plates?

sle_epy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -96
« Reply #631 on: June 30, 2023, 09:33:42 PM »
Are yours forged or normal plates?

Forged
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #632 on: June 30, 2023, 09:37:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Reporting back on the Indy mids... I really like these trucks, first and foremost because they don't let you cheat. You have to be a lot more balanced from jump or the wheel bite is real. They're def going to force me to clean up my form a little. Landing stuff is a lot more satisfying because of it.

Grinds are just really nice and feel sort of softer? The turning radius is amazing compared to thunder. Way more maneuverable without having to have your trucks wildly loose. Thunder bushings are a lot harder but this is some sort of happy medium as far as the Indy stock bushings go.

I also like the weight of the truck, it actually seems to help with some tricks. My thunders always felt kind of light, but these feel just about right and seem to help the board rotate more balanced.

Things I didn't love but will get over: due to the wheel base thing, I had to figure almost all my flip tricks back out. Not the end of the world tho, I walked away feeling good I was capable of figuring it out. Wheel bite sucks but guess I should just get gud.

Ollie's feel more consistent and the weight of the truck seems to help a lot. I also like that they're lower, the tail hits faster and is more predictable when done well. The predictability is kind of nice, it let me focus on other aspects of technique. I haven't ridden trucks that felt so consistent in how they factor in when doing flip tricks.
[close]

They're 50.5mm tall, what size wheel are you rocking? I had to drop to 51/50mm and harder duro bushings (92+)
[close]

I'm riding 52 mm formula 4s but I've had them for a few months so my guess is they're prob more like 51 or a tiny bit less (I skate a lot of street in Detroit so wheels take a beating). They're naturally looser than thunders, so I ended up tightening the kingpin with prob a 3/4 turn of the bolt.

They are still looser but after a single session it's like I've been skating them forever. Turning on them feels so intuitive and natural that I actually had to back off a little bit because my turns into things were a touch sharper than on thunders, which you have to put some oomph into.

They also made me balance way more. I'm seeing more consistency with flip tricks literally over the course of like a week. Probs never gonna skate anything else. I actually really like the stock bushings. They seem slightly softer than thunders. Landing tricks feels more chill on them.

They're my favorite indys (the forged); you should be fine at 52/51 in cast or forged (depending on how loose you ride); sure they'll wheelbite but nowhere near as bad (stock) as thunders for me).

LebowskisRug

« Reply #633 on: July 01, 2023, 07:25:24 AM »
Curious to see if Indy finally solved the IKP issue

sle_epy

« Reply #634 on: July 01, 2023, 07:40:58 AM »
Curious to see if Indy finally solved the IKP issue

I haven't had any issues yet. The clearance is nice, no break in period.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #635 on: July 01, 2023, 08:53:52 AM »
The issues were with it eventually loosening on its own. You can solve this with a dab of blue loctite if it happens to ya. I haven't seen this with Slappys so far.

sle_epy

« Reply #636 on: July 01, 2023, 09:17:18 AM »
The issues were with it eventually loosening on its own. You can solve this with a dab of blue loctite if it happens to ya. I haven't seen this with Slappys so far.

Damn I love where they're at rn. Might just super glue the thing in.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #637 on: July 01, 2023, 09:28:03 AM »
re: wheelbite....where they bite you don't get the same contact point and ejection seat as you do with thunders.  With Ventures its the other extreme where I land standing on my wheel and I'm riding away at 45 degrees laughing. 

I put in Krux because I think somehow I think it looks better....

sle_epy

« Reply #638 on: July 01, 2023, 09:38:46 AM »
re: wheelbite....where they bite you don't get the same contact point and ejection seat as you do with thunders.  With Ventures its the other extreme where I land standing on my wheel and I'm riding away at 45 degrees laughing. 

First few days I was getting TOSSED. Particularly bad on a fakie heel flip. One of those flatground eat shit moments where you lay there for two minutes. After I adjusted I haven't had any issues. I think my balance skill went up a few notches overnight. Those stop rock level falls on tricks you have locked in wake you right the fuck up.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #639 on: July 01, 2023, 11:40:50 AM »

Chalking it up to them just using a plain old nut jamed in there and not a the shaft nut setup that Krux/Indy/Royal use...

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #640 on: July 01, 2023, 12:18:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Chalking it up to them just using a plain old nut jamed in there and not a the shaft nut setup that Krux/Indy/Royal use...

My DIY jammed (epoxied) nut Indys come loose all the time. I am really curious why some of these IKP trucks always seem to rattle loose and some hold up just fine.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

brownjenkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #641 on: July 01, 2023, 01:42:46 PM »
I had one session on my brand new forged 144 Mids a few weeks ago and the kingpin was loosening gradually over time. It wasn't anything dramatic but it was noticeable enough that it would have definitely become a problem for me.

I recently put some blue Loctite 242 on them because aside from the kingpin thing, I actually really liked them. No movement at all during session number two. I undershot the tightness though and they're a little loose for my liking. I'm pretty sure I got the tamest Loctite available so adjusting won't be a problem. I just hope the Loctite maintains some integrity after adjusting.

One thing I did notice during my second session was the bottom bushings were rotating a bit. The front one only about 30 degrees and the back one did almost 180. By the end of the session they seemed to have settled into position. I mark my bushings with a little black dot when I first get trucks in case I need to take my trucks apart, I know what orientation they were in when I took them apart. I've done that as long as I can remember and I don't recall that happening before.

logjammin

• Rep: 346
« Reply #642 on: July 01, 2023, 02:07:56 PM »
I run Ace classic hangers on stage 11 IKP baseplates. I have the 6 hole IKP plates cause I took them off some shitty 159 Reynolds mids that I got for super cheap. I actually like 6 hole plates better aesthetically, I know it's dumb haha. Anyways, yeah I even recently had my shit come loose even while using loctite which hasn't happened before so that had my madness going crazy like wtf? Took them apart and cleaned everything and let the new loctite cure for a full 24hrs and that did the trick. I think if it's kinda dirty in there and you don't let it cure for a good while, it might still bust loose. Either way, even the shaft nut design still doesn't prevent loosening it's just gonna happen if you don't gooch that kingpin full of blue Smurf sauce.

sle_epy

« Reply #643 on: July 01, 2023, 02:18:28 PM »
I run Ace classic hangers on stage 11 IKP baseplates. I have the 6 hole IKP plates cause I took them off some shitty 159 Reynolds mids that I got for super cheap. I actually like 6 hole plates better aesthetically, I know it's dumb haha. Anyways, yeah I even recently had my shit come loose even while using loctite which hasn't happened before so that had my madness going crazy like wtf? Took them apart and cleaned everything and let the new loctite cure for a full 24hrs and that did the trick. I think if it's kinda dirty in there and you don't let it cure for a good while, it might still bust loose. Either way, even the shaft nut design still doesn't prevent loosening it's just gonna happen if you don't gooch that kingpin full of blue Smurf sauce.

I'm kinda starting to wonder if everyone here outweighs me by a lot, or if I just got a good set.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #644 on: July 01, 2023, 04:22:01 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

First few days I was getting TOSSED. Particularly bad on a fakie heel flip. One of those flatground eat shit moments where you lay there for two minutes. After I adjusted I haven't had any issues. I think my balance skill went up a few notches overnight. Those stop rock level falls on tricks you have locked in wake you right the fuck up.

on topic, i want to try indy mids.

to your post….i’ve never had heelflips, much less fakie heels, on lock. i can do heelflips, but they feel, and have to look, highly unnatural. like i figured out where to put my feet and then press the buttons in the right order. or some shit. maybe i am a heelflipper, because i’ve tried SO MANY kickflips in my life, and i go months without thinking about a heelflip, and then occasionally i’ll land a shit one.
anyfuckingways, i’ve definitely taken some slams on fakie heels (always in games of skate), that were not like a regular flatground slam. full on dead guy off of the top rope.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #645 on: July 01, 2023, 04:25:17 PM »
Jabari Pendleton?  That’s the only person who I can think of that’s a fakie heel guy…..

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #646 on: July 01, 2023, 04:25:24 PM »

6-hole plate’s definitely look better, more butch.

i cannot help be come off as judgmental here: why the ace hanger, with the indy plate? isn’t that opposite of what would be good?

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #647 on: July 01, 2023, 04:26:34 PM »
Jabari Pendleton?  That’s the only person who I can think of that’s a fakie heel guy…..

fucking excellent call out there. i really enjoy his footage.

sle_epy

« Reply #648 on: July 01, 2023, 06:12:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

on topic, i want to try indy mids.

to your post….i’ve never had heelflips, much less fakie heels, on lock. i can do heelflips, but they feel, and have to look, highly unnatural. like i figured out where to put my feet and then press the buttons in the right order. or some shit. maybe i am a heelflipper, because i’ve tried SO MANY kickflips in my life, and i go months without thinking about a heelflip, and then occasionally i’ll land a shit one.
anyfuckingways, i’ve definitely taken some slams on fakie heels (always in games of skate), that were not like a regular flatground slam. full on dead guy off of the top rope.

Definitely some sniper level type shit. I think it's because you really have to sit in a fakie heel to land it and fully commit. Do that going backwards, with wheel bite, on like two pushes, and you're fucked. To your post, I'm def a heel flip girl, they just have always worked and proper. Took me like three years of religiously working on kickflips to get to the same point with them.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #649 on: July 01, 2023, 06:26:53 PM »
I disagree, if you have any power or hops fakie heels are super easy. It's a trick where just kicking super hard after a strong pop does the rest for you.

I low key hate them because that's one of the tricks that breaks my tails.

sle_epy

« Reply #650 on: July 01, 2023, 06:48:47 PM »
I disagree, if you have any power or hops fakie heels are super easy. It's a trick where just kicking super hard after a strong pop does the rest for you.

Reads like a 30 second pro trick tip.

"Set up for a heel going a good speed, pop really high, and just flick really hard, land bolts and roll away"

Ok.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #651 on: July 01, 2023, 08:49:03 PM »
Maybe it's me and the people I skated with growing up, but it was considered one of the easiest things once you learned em and for a while we gave each other shit for doing 'fake nollie heels'. So its possible I've just done a lot of them cuz by "give each other shit" I mean "everyone gave me shit". Also got some shit for sw shuvs

logjammin

• Rep: 346
« Reply #652 on: July 02, 2023, 01:47:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

6-hole plate’s definitely look better, more butch.

i cannot help be come off as judgmental here: why the ace hanger, with the indy plate? isn’t that opposite of what would be good?

I was on stage 7 baseplates with AF1 hangers but the one plate doesn't hold the nut anymore and I was too lazy to JB weld it, so I pulled out some classic hangers and tried it with the stage 11 plates and it works. The turn still stays Ace, and I'll take an Ace hanger any day over an Indy for aesthetics. But obviously, the main reason is because I need inverted kingpins and Ace doesn't offer that option yet. I've seen that joey pulsifer dude testing some prototypes, though.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #653 on: July 02, 2023, 08:10:47 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

"Set up for a heel going a good speed, pop really high, and just flick really hard, land bolts and roll away"

Ok.

in the olden days, like single digit 411 vm days, billy pepper had a switch varial heel trick tip that was as you say, just flexing.

i’m not tall, and that trick wanted to possibly credit card me.
i’m stoked @LebowskisRug and them were running the fakie heel. i thought they were underrated, and not nearly as easy as nollie/switch heels.

@logjammin the ace hanger does look very nice, i’ve always favored the look. my jerkwad comment was based off of the turning of ace, their superior characteristic, coming from the kingpin/baseplate, and indy’s having the better durability/better grind, in the hanger.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #654 on: July 02, 2023, 08:12:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Ok.
[close]

in the olden days, like single digit 411 vm days, billy pepper had a switch varial heel trick tip that was as you say, just flexing.

I'll never forget Tim Brauch explaining how to do a blunt to tre flip.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #655 on: July 02, 2023, 09:18:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Ok.
[close]

[close]

i’ll need to find that one.
hopefully he said ‘ride away clean’.

as awkward as some of the old thrasher writing could be, it ran laps around the transworld stuff. those dudes sucked so bad and would just say the same things over and over, ‘style for miles’, that kind of thing. it was always so grating.
now i’m just ranting

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #656 on: July 02, 2023, 09:59:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Ok.
[close]

[close]

[close]

i’ll need to find that one.

Please do. I haven't seen it since my mom helped my dub a copy of that 411 tape in ~1993.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #657 on: July 02, 2023, 10:17:53 AM »
Lol’d seeing Koston just getting pitched on the fakie heel…..

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 136
« Reply #658 on: July 03, 2023, 01:16:49 PM »
Anybody else here tried teflon tape?

I used tellow teflon tape or Gas rated teflon tape and my kingpin has not come loose on my mid standard 144s. These are the first ones that came out as well if that makes a difference.

They skate great but wheelbite more thatn my 151 thunder hollow team trucks.

I like magic carpet riding over monster trucking, so i switched to the 144s

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #659 on: July 03, 2023, 01:25:58 PM »
Anybody else here tried teflon tape?

I used tellow teflon tape or Gas rated teflon tape and my kingpin has not come loose on my mid standard 144s. These are the first ones that came out as well if that makes a difference.

They skate great but wheelbite more thatn my 151 thunder hollow team trucks.

I like magic carpet riding over monster trucking, so i switched to the 144s

Damn, this is a really good idea. I've got some DIY IKP 144s which always come loose despite ample blue Loctite, and I've got rolls and rolls of Teflon tape, so I'm going to try this next.