Author Topic: Why's Guy gone into hiding  (Read 31027 times)

arcam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -65
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Why's Guy gone into hiding
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2015, 06:53:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I prefer the modern day Morrissey Guy to the gangster jerry curl Guy (via Mouse).
[close]

That's because you have no taste it's the other way around
[close]

felix.

• Rep: -34
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2015, 09:08:39 AM »
because he probably feels ashamed for bailing on lakai and riding for nike. he probably lies awake at night thinking if he made the right choice.

Xtal

« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2015, 04:20:01 PM »
He sold his soul for a paycheck. To think that he wasn't getting paid a fair wage riding for Lakai and Girl is naive. He was one of the most marketable riders.

GOKU

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2015, 07:01:08 PM »

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 732
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2015, 07:23:25 PM »
Who cut Guy's hair
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

StabMasterArson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 774
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2015, 09:52:37 PM »

Global Moderator

« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2015, 06:02:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Who cut Guy's hair
[close]

His Barber.  ;)
Honesty, these stupid hair cuts these guys are rocking is one the the dumber trends to ever be adopted in skateboarding.

paraquat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 200
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2015, 11:37:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Who cut Guy's hair
[close]

His Barber.  ;)
[close]
Honesty, these stupid hair cuts these guys are rocking is one the the dumber trends to ever be adopted in skateboarding.
Have a lot of people made fun of puff-face p rod's hair?

tb303

• Rep: -141
  • acid drop
« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2015, 12:28:30 PM »
Let him hide, he's had his entire life exposed by the skateboarding media

boofpremium

• Rep: -1
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2015, 12:42:00 PM »
He sold his soul for a paycheck. To think that he wasn't getting paid a fair wage riding for Lakai and Girl is naive. He was one of the most marketable riders.

He's 39 years old. It's naive to think that lakai and girl can provide him with enough to live on for the rest of his life. Nike probably offered to double what he's getting and how could you turn that down?? Although I still don't understand why he left girl, Nike proposed something he couldn't refuse.

felix.

« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2015, 12:55:27 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

He's 39 years old. It's naive to think that lakai and girl can provide him with enough to live on for the rest of his life. Nike probably offered to double what he's getting and how could you turn that down?? Although I still don't understand why he left girl, Nike proposed something he couldn't refuse.
Quite easily, as it's obvious nike has no actual interest in skateboarding other than their ability to make money off of it. How can you love money more than skateboarding when skateboarding has given you everything you have? How can you want to promote and support a soulless corporation over riding for a friends and team-mates company which is rooted in skateboarding?

Tabletop

• Rep: -70
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2015, 01:13:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Quite easily, as it's obvious nike has no actual interest in skateboarding other than their ability to make money off of it. How can you love money more than skateboarding when skateboarding has given you everything you have? How can you want to promote and support a soulless corporation over riding for a friends and team-mates company which is rooted in skateboarding?

Because they pay more, make better shoes and better video clips than your friends sinking ship.
Your also 39 by this stage.

Xtal

« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2015, 08:20:37 PM »
Because they pay more, make better shoes and better video clips than your friends sinking ship.

Nike and any other sporting goods company knows the only way to get pros is to buy them. That's all they have, money. Not a single drop of love, passion, or interest in skateboarding in and of itself. Money.

boof nailed it. When you start to love money more than skateboarding you're fucked.

conqueso

« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2015, 08:50:39 PM »
Money will always be more important than skateboarding.  I don't know what reality you're living in ^

Xtal

« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2015, 09:03:37 PM »
Money will always be more important than skateboarding.  I don't know what reality you're living in ^

Money is more important than a lot of things for many people on Earth. Not me.

I've been broke and homeless with a backpack on my back and a board under my feet and never felt happier in my life.

paraquat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 200
« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2015, 05:19:46 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Money is more important than a lot of things for many people on Earth. Not me.

I've been broke and homeless with a backpack on my back and a board under my feet and never felt happier in my life.
Are you pushing 40 with a family?

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2015, 05:42:49 AM »
  nike is a smart move for guy
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2015, 06:08:13 AM »
The guy (lol) was a crack addict/ tweaker on skid row for a big chunk of his life... it's hard to blame him for wanting a bit of financial security. It would be nice to know what happened with girl because there's not an obvious motive there.

Shredface

• Rep: -44
« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2015, 06:39:45 AM »
All of you talking shit on Nike forget in the early 2000s they were saving shops by not selling sb anywhere but real skate shops . Most of you twits weren't born yet so learn your history . They had a nice sized team and treated them well. After Sandy Bodecker left , they lost their way and now treat skateboarding like every other sport, they buy everyone and everything.... Look at the nba or nfl.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 535
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2015, 08:17:10 AM »
are you saying nike singlehandedly saved skateboarding in the early 2000s by only selling the sb line in skate shops? I really doubt that's true. skateboarding survived the 90s without any help from nike. pretty sure it would have been fine.

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 732
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2015, 08:38:49 AM »
All of you talking shit on Nike forget in the early 2000s they were saving shops by not selling sb anywhere but real skate shops . Most of you twits weren't born yet so learn your history . They had a nice sized team and treated them well. After Sandy Bodecker left , they lost their way and now treat skateboarding like every other sport, they buy everyone and everything.... Look at the nba or nfl.

That was 16 years ago, bruhbruh. If you're going to talk about this like it's relevant and happened yesterday, bring up the fact that the good that Nike possibly did for some shops way back when is outweighed by the fact that many local shops (The one I support, in fact) are currently fucking in debt to Nike because the sneaker heads aren't trying to go chill at the small local shop waiting for blue lobsters anymore. The sneaker heads either don't exist or try and cop at the local Zumiez so they can cross the hall and cop a SnapBack to match the rest of their disgusting kit they just bought. Also regarding the 'Nike SB kept local shops open, your statement, although arguably within the realm of possibility at best, can't be verified. What shops were in danger of going under but were saved by the benevolent corporation? Did Nike sign over that check to pay the rent for the shops? Was nobody in there at all buying anything? I call bullshit, especially considering skateboarding was fucking booming in the early 2000s. Were these shops not around in the mid-late 90's? Skateboarding only got bigger year by year at that point, and you're arguing that it was solely Nike saving these shops when every kid wanted a skateboard in 2000?
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Xtal

« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2015, 09:27:08 AM »
The guy (lol) was a crack addict/ tweaker on skid row for a big chunk of his life... it's hard to blame him for wanting a bit of financial security. It would be nice to know what happened with girl because there's not an obvious motive there.

You missed the point. He already had all the financial security he needed when he was on Lakai and Girl. Nobody fucking needs or deserves Nike money.

You're completely wrong. Nike never "saved" shops by selling their shoes there. All the local shops around me besides a couple have STOPPED selling Nike because their business practices were complete shit. There was no say in what shoe models or colors you would be getting in your shop. There were other details that I can't remember but basically some shops got the good end of the stick and others got the shit. All the shops that stopped selling Nike are doing great. Vans have made a huge comeback and are big sellers along with some of the other core shoe companies. Nike entered core shops simply as a means, it was never done in the interests of the shops themselves.

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -325
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #52 on: December 26, 2015, 09:41:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Nike and any other sporting goods company knows the only way to get pros is to buy them. That's all they have, money. Not a single drop of love, passion, or interest in skateboarding in and of itself. Money.

boof nailed it. When you start to love money more than skateboarding you're fucked.

So nike was cofunded by Bill Bowerman . https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Bowerman

over his career, he trained 31 Olympic athletes, 51 All-Americans, 12 American record-holders, 22 NCAA champions and 16 sub-4 minute milers. During his 24 years as coach at the University of Oregon, the Ducks track and field team had a winning season every season but one, attained 4 NCAA titles, and finished in the top 10 in the nation 16 times.

No passion ?

If there was no money in skateboarding , we would have very few pros .  I made a thread about Nike and Adidas in skateboarding before , I not many people there were trashing Nike / Adidas . Seems people only trash them when you can make quick harsh comments . Most people seemed to agree that the skateboading industry is fucking itself over by making inferior products and such

So many skater have a weird image of skating . Skating is a life style , skating is a art , we are better them

MMA is a art no ? Marial arts is a art form , its deff a life style since all you do is train .  Ice hockey is a art , Ice hockey is a life style .
Basketball is a art , you seen stephen curry shooting 3s ?

Every skate company is buying pros . with flowing products , giving people pro models , giving them a paycheck . Skaters skate the product they are given , wear the shirts and hats with sponsors name

Xtal

« Reply #53 on: December 26, 2015, 10:17:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

So nike was cofunded by Bill Bowerman . https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Bowerman

Expand Quote
over his career, he trained 31 Olympic athletes, 51 All-Americans, 12 American record-holders, 22 NCAA champions and 16 sub-4 minute milers. During his 24 years as coach at the University of Oregon, the Ducks track and field team had a winning season every season but one, attained 4 NCAA titles, and finished in the top 10 in the nation 16 times.
[close]

No passion ?

If there was no money in skateboarding , we would have very few pros .  I made a thread about Nike and Adidas in skateboarding before , I not many people there were trashing Nike / Adidas . Seems people only trash them when you can make quick harsh comments . Most people seemed to agree that the skateboading industry is fucking itself over by making inferior products and such

So many skater have a weird image of skating . Skating is a life style , skating is a art , we are better them

MMA is a art no ? Marial arts is a art form , its deff a life style since all you do is train .  Ice hockey is a art , Ice hockey is a life style .
Basketball is a art , you seen stephen curry shooting 3s ?

Every skate company is buying pros . with flowing products , giving people pro models , giving them a paycheck . Skaters skate the product they are given , wear the shirts and hats with sponsors name

When I say Nike doesn't have passion, I meant about skateboarding specifically, because its not a sport. They're interested in the profits. When it comes to sports, I'm sure they're very passionate. And I guess to an extent core companies are "buying" skateboarders but the pros are mostly making the decision to join a team based on the people they vibe with and the sense of community.

Koji-Wu

« Reply #54 on: December 26, 2015, 10:30:10 AM »

felix.

« Reply #55 on: December 26, 2015, 10:35:03 AM »
Guy needs to be very careful not to fall off the wagon again, a dramatic increase of wealth and feelings of inadequacy due to lack of fortitude* is a very slippery slope for a former addict. But who knows maybe Koston brought him along to some narconon thetan brainwash shit and the only drug he would ever want now is the totally awesome and totally true teachings of L.ron.

* I don't see how you can feel good about riding for nike these days unless you have a strong predisposition for avarice.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 802
« Reply #56 on: December 26, 2015, 10:35:46 AM »
seems like a lot of naive teenagers in this thread.  

also 15 years in, and Nike is still looked at as "take the money and run".  

go to a trade show sometime and tell me how many of your favorite "core" skate companies are actually owned/run/backed by real skaters.  
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

too much

« Reply #57 on: December 26, 2015, 10:44:52 AM »
Nike never saved shops lol wtf...Shops got scammed hard trying to earn the Nike SB contract only to find out they had to purchase the entire line, i.e. shoes you don't skate in. Skaters have only liked dunks and janoskis/selects so now the shop has to carry over 15 different shoes? Wtf? So now in order to sell the shoes to hype beast kooks they got to buy streetwear shit to attract those customers into the store.

Nike turned skate shops into lame ass street wear boutiques. Lots of shops went out of business because of this due to not being successful on the brutal Nike contract.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 10:47:25 AM by too much »

boofpremium

• Rep: -1
« Reply #58 on: December 26, 2015, 10:45:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Getting a check from Nike doesn't mean you love money more than skateboarding. You think he could really retire off of lakai money? Of course not. Guy definitely didn't just jump to Nike without hesitation, I'm sure it was hard as shit for him to leave. But the thing is if you asked mike Carroll and Rick Howard they would say he did what was best for him.

LastTry

• Rep: -2
    • Last Try Skateboarding avatar image
« Reply #59 on: December 26, 2015, 12:00:44 PM »
Nike hardgoods coming soon. Full line of boards and wheels.

They make soccer balls, baseball bats, tennis racquets, now they are going to make skateboards.