Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4824778 times)

MC3 and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #26070 on: November 03, 2020, 08:02:34 PM »
loophole makes a 53?
currently on the hunt for some of their 52mm wheels for my next setup...

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

MxsDx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 98
« Reply #26071 on: November 03, 2020, 08:58:27 PM »

So a brief session in a pair of Half Cab Pros (I’m a dedicated cupsole guy) led to two weeks of extensive madness. I’m back in cups but somehow I ended up on Indy?!?! Second set ever, I bought them on sale and they sat basically unused until now.

DOA flat 8.25
Hollow 144
Loophole 53mm

The Indys feel great, as much as I hate to say it. HELLRIDE 2020.

Sick setup. I knew they where loopholes the second I saw the blacktop stains. The wheels are fantastic, but man do they get dirty.

Slayer666

• Rep: -30
« Reply #26072 on: November 04, 2020, 02:48:12 AM »
Yea them bois get real dirty but they feel real great

chris.

• Rep: 184
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #26073 on: November 04, 2020, 05:03:13 AM »
@WizardOf0dds I’ve ridden basically everything but Indy in my years on and off the board. I was on Ventures most recently. I like Ace and Thunder too depending on the deck. I guess I’m glad to have another option to ride now. And I can’t find a shoe better than the Legacy Slim right now.

@FrozenIndustries I had a great session on the Loopholes yesterday. I put some better bearings in them and I’m gonna keep them on my main board for a while.  I never had the icy feeling mentioned by others, kinda the opposite, but they are in a good place now.

And no Loophole doesn’t make a 53 and now that I think about it I can’t remember what size I bought :o

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #26074 on: November 04, 2020, 06:46:08 AM »
@WizardOf0dds I’ve ridden basically everything but Indy in my years on and off the board. I was on Ventures most recently. I like Ace and Thunder too depending on the deck. I guess I’m glad to have another option to ride now. And I can’t find a shoe better than the Legacy Slim right now.

@FrozenIndustries I had a great session on the Loopholes yesterday. I put some better bearings in them and I’m gonna keep them on my main board for a while.  I never had the icy feeling mentioned by others, kinda the opposite, but they are in a good place now.

And no Loophole doesn’t make a 53 and now that I think about it I can’t remember what size I bought :o

Same, going between those and F4s (99 52mm conical full) the loopholes are WAY grippier. I am totally fine with it given how well they deal with rough ground.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #26075 on: November 04, 2020, 08:58:23 AM »
I feel like there would be quite a few DLX / AH or similar 8.38 decks, Indy 149s, Spitfire 56mm classic fulls out there (which is what I am riding right now), but I used to have a lot more black eagles and similar setups, all with the same sticker job, etc.

So does this take setup madness to whole new levels?

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 355
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #26076 on: November 04, 2020, 10:29:20 AM »
lolll, do you....buy a full new complete every time?!?

CannerSpaghetti

« Reply #26077 on: November 04, 2020, 10:47:01 AM »
I feel like there would be quite a few DLX / AH or similar 8.38 decks, Indy 149s, Spitfire 56mm classic fulls out there (which is what I am riding right now), but I used to have a lot more black eagles and similar setups, all with the same sticker job, etc.

Why

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 767
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #26078 on: November 04, 2020, 11:01:16 AM »

What the fuck why

What's the point if each setup is exactly the same

Crap

• Rep: 77
« Reply #26079 on: November 04, 2020, 11:07:57 AM »
You can take the trucks off when you're done skating the deck.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -764
« Reply #26080 on: November 04, 2020, 11:19:35 AM »

Lol
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1088
« Reply #26081 on: November 04, 2020, 11:36:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Lol

I was hanging out at the skate shop once when this kid came in with a broken board. The after while he was picking out the deck the shop worker asked the dad to hand him the broken board. As the dad was handing over the board, he was asking how much the wheels(referring to the entire truck setup) were. Shop guy, being a normal human being, says everything looks perfect so we can switch them to the new deck. The dad look at his son and asked him he knew they only needed to by decks and could keep the rest, in a way assuming they were both ignorant to this. The kids face just fucking melted, cause the shop dude blew up his spot. He was getting brand new setups every time he broke a deck.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -764
« Reply #26082 on: November 04, 2020, 11:46:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Lol
[close]

I was hanging out at the skate shop once when this kid came in with a broken board. The after while he was picking out the deck the shop worker asked the dad to hand him the broken board. As the dad was handing over the board, he was asking how much the wheels(referring to the entire truck setup) were. Shop guy, being a normal human being, says everything looks perfect so we can switch them to the new deck. The dad look at his son and asked him he knew they only needed to by decks and could keep the rest, in a way assuming they were both ignorant to this. The kids face just fucking melted, cause the shop dude blew up his spot. He was getting brand new setups every time he broke a deck.

No way hahahaha
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 543
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #26083 on: November 04, 2020, 01:52:43 PM »
That’s a flex for sure Mark but I’m not sure if that makes it a good thing.

I’m all for riding the same setup back to back but usually only one at a time

JB77

« Reply #26084 on: November 04, 2020, 02:39:25 PM »

I can’t wrap my mind around this.  I saw it earlier this afternoon and almost commented...

But, I thought I should maybe take some time to consider your motivations here.  Maybe I was missing something? 

But, no... I can’t make any sense of what I’m seeing here.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #26085 on: November 04, 2020, 03:04:14 PM »
^ This is wild..I just noticed that the replicas have all been skated! That does make it even more perplexing.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 550
« Reply #26086 on: November 04, 2020, 03:41:21 PM »

Put together a new setup as a way to get my mind off last night’s elections:

Creature Baekkel 8.6 (full nose)
Ace 44
Bronson raw
Spitfire F4 table 53mm
Jessup grip (I think)
Random bolts

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
« Reply #26087 on: November 04, 2020, 05:36:27 PM »

8.25 Prime/Socal blank
Ace 44s, Riptide pivot cups
OJ Hardline elite 53s

my first pair of Blazers.  had a rough go first day out
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26088 on: November 04, 2020, 05:44:29 PM »
lolll, do you....buy a full new complete every time?!?
Why

I feel like sometimes I could look back on what I had assembled in the same way a junkie looks at the track marks up and down his arms and feels some sort of regret for how things have turned out, or you could think of it as a definitive statement to the state of my mental health, but all that aside, I actually had a lot of different options, mainly being the hardness of the wheels and how worn down most of the completes were, riding 99s in original and Formula Four, plus some in 97, 95, 92, quite a few trucks grinded down to the axle, even half of them that I had kept as is ready to pass on to anyone who needed a decent board, which I can say most have now found better homes.

This was around the same time as 144s came out, so I had set up quite a few new ones on 144 Indys, and left the others with the 139s still on them as I wasn't sure if I like the feel of the wider trucks or not.  I think I even reset up quite a few that I had taken apart, just to even out the number of completes there as well, such is the OCD of my skateboarding mind.

I am now 40+ don't have kids, or other addictions and rarely spend much money on anything else in life and being "shop guy" I had access to a lot of product less than RRP, which I bought over time and pretty much have a "set for life" thing going on (as well as running my own shop of sorts for the last twenty years).

Out of that whole lot of almost 20 completes (yes there were more not in the picture), I only have about four remaining as completes now, all the rest given away as completes, or pulled apart and passed on to others who either didn't have a skateboard, or sold at minimal $$$.  There are still three I keep at an indoor skatepark I help out at, again for people to ride so they can feel what a good complete should feel like, and it was a much easier way of letting people know what some product was like before they bought a new one off the shelf, or when they asked about softer wheels, they could try some in 99, 95 and 92 duro without having to take their own wheels off and swap them over.

I realise how this might look and am not trying to "flex" and have never been a "look at all my stuff / I have more than you" kind of guy either, so although I got up this morning, after being awake til 4am on a mental health bender, and thought I should not have put that up on here, it would be silly to delete it now too, seeing as there are all the replies with the post still in there.

This was quite the wake up call seeing so many setups that I had at that time, and although I have about half a dozen completes now in the 8.38 variety, it is no where near on the scale that this was at around that time.

I have a purpose built shed (same space as a double garage 6 x 6 m) with a small ramp in it and lined the walls with mostly broken and used boards and other fun stuff which makes it feel more like home and is a lot nicer than blank walls.  It is just my happy place, not something I really show off or ever think of as anything other than a story of my life.

So that is about it, I think.

Easy enough.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #26089 on: November 04, 2020, 05:45:28 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Same, going between those and F4s (99 52mm conical full) the loopholes are WAY grippier. I am totally fine with it given how well they deal with rough ground.
loopholes are grippy? My conical 56mm make me feel like I’m fucking leo valls reveritng and powersliding all over the shop

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26090 on: November 04, 2020, 05:46:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Lol
[close]

Ha yes!

Totally had similar situations like this more than I can ever recall, when the kid is trying to get a lot more than they actually need.

tom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 990
  • the moon rules
« Reply #26091 on: November 04, 2020, 05:59:00 PM »

I wonder if that dude could hook it up with an 8.12 eagle cause I only have one left myself and none of the local shops have any in stock

and yeah I peeled the sticker off and put it on my new board ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

fuck you bama

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 550
« Reply #26092 on: November 04, 2020, 05:59:59 PM »
How’s the shape of that Muska board?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26093 on: November 04, 2020, 06:04:36 PM »

I wonder if that dude could hook it up with an 8.12 eagle cause I only have one left myself and none of the local shops have any in stock

Yeah totally, if you lived in Australia...   :)

tom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 990
  • the moon rules
« Reply #26094 on: November 04, 2020, 06:06:18 PM »
How’s the shape of that Muska board?

I swear the dudes at what I’m assuming is Prime copied/traced the Generator 8.12 shape as close as they possibly could

Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah totally, if you lived in Australia...   :)
Perhaps another time then
fuck you bama

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #26095 on: November 04, 2020, 06:09:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
loopholes are grippy? My conical 56mm make me feel like I’m fucking leo valls reveritng and powersliding all over the shop

That's wild! Yeah, mine don't even compare to F4s in terms of slide. Mine feel way grippier and when they do slide it's slower and has a lower bark.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1008
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #26096 on: November 04, 2020, 06:10:47 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I can’t wrap my mind around this.  I saw it earlier this afternoon and almost commented...

But, I thought I should maybe take some time to consider your motivations here.  Maybe I was missing something? 

But, no... I can’t make any sense of what I’m seeing here.

My oversized gear collection is comprised of different decks, wheels and trucks, this is a whole different level of OCD =D

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #26097 on: November 04, 2020, 06:28:37 PM »

Ace 44
Bronson raw
Spitfire F4 table 53mm
Jessup grip (I think)
Random bolts

This rules. I love how aces look with tablets.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #26098 on: November 04, 2020, 07:00:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Lol
[close]

[close]

Ha yes!

Totally had similar situations like this more than I can ever recall, when the kid is trying to get a lot more than they actually need.
This brought back a funny memory from when I was a kid.
I was living in my hometown, small 200k city, with no access to anything skateboarding related whatsoever.
DC started to pop in a retail shop and of course people working there were clueless. A friend got those DC, which I can't remember the name (they were grey with black details, kinda similar to Lyrics), for skating (duh).
Idk how is in other countries but here in Chile you have 90 days warranty on pretty much anything so if you have a problem they will replace what you got or give you the money back. Thing is that this guy would skate the shit out of those shoes (bare in mid we were 14 at the time) and on day 89 he would go to the store like "check, the shoes are all destroyed". Since the people working there had no clue about how skateboarding works they didn't knew that griptape fucks shoes (ffs, probably they didn't even knew that skateboards have griptape) so they would give him new shoes because of the so called warranty.
He did that 4 times in a row, so 1 year of free shoes.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #26099 on: November 04, 2020, 09:03:19 PM »
Expand Quote
(Set-Up in Question)

Ace 44
Bronson raw
Spitfire F4 table 53mm
Jessup grip (I think)
Random bolts
[close]

This rules. I love how aces look with tablets.

Kinda looks like a Tech Deck. I like it as well.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.