Author Topic: Woodshop Directory 2020 Thread  (Read 114660 times)

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 841
Re: Woodshop Directory 2020 Thread
« Reply #660 on: October 28, 2020, 03:49:18 AM »

I was thinking I needed to get you (and your valued input) in on this, more than anything else, especially with something I don't know about, like that.

Also I still see an amazing amount of mis information, eg they say these are the best wood with the best glue or epoxy or whatever, but then they are often not, or one run might have been that and then the rest are now on something else.

There is a lot of misinformation, which is why I usually go straight to the company and ask them. Still, some people genuinely don't really know that their clutch decks are made in Mexico because the rep they're dealing with is based in the USA and they say they use 100% USA wood which confuses some people. That's one of the reasons this thread is such a valuable resource, although it's still not 100% so always do your homework if you're not sure.

Also, really "best" is such a subjective thing. Everyone has their own preferences so while I love PS wood and hate control, you'll find people who are the exact opposite. Opinions change over time too, if you had asked me last year  I'd probably tell you Pennswood was the best because that was what I was into at the time (and hometown bias) and that PS sucked. Nowadays I don't think Pennswood would even crack my top 5 and PS would probably be number 1 or 2.

Hardgoods, particularly decks, are in a really weird place right now. Everyone is so backed up and the big guys (bbs, PS) are prioritizing large orders like dlx, bakerboys etc and people are just getting wood wherever they can, so it's definitely worth doing some research before you buy a new board. If you're able to go to a local shop and check it out in person that's always the best option.

Bob Loblaw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 10
« Reply #661 on: October 28, 2020, 07:31:40 AM »
Pass~Port and WKND are different manufacturers, but both under Hyperion Distribution?

What woodshop makes Roger?

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #662 on: October 28, 2020, 07:48:11 AM »

Also, really "best" is such a subjective thing.

If you're able to go to a local shop and check it out in person that's always the best option.

When all the marketing and promo blurbs say "Our wood is the best in the business" for so many brands, I almost stop listening, but nothing makes more sense to the people I try to help as much as laying out half a dozen different woodshop decks for people to stand on and work out what they feel that they personally like the most.  That is the best and often most unique experience that some skaters can have, because I have no interest in telling them what they should or shouldn't be getting.  What I like to ride might not be what you like to ride, which is what makes so many different brands viable, but even after all that some will choose their product on graphic or brand alone.

In saying that, sometimes the funniest thing from working in a shop or just being around skateboarders is hearing the love / hate between certain brands, but more so between brands of the same wood shop, so when a skater comes in saying "I love brand X but hate brand Y and Z" I can't help but have a chuckle when I know they come out of the same woodshop.  Yes there can be significant differences, but when I have them stand on the boards, sometimes they cannot tell them apart.

Sorry if I am going on too much, as it is very late here and I should be asleep.

This is my favourite for the moment:

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #663 on: October 28, 2020, 08:14:45 AM »
Pass~Port and WKND are different manufacturers, but both under Hyperion Distribution?

Passport is BBS
WKND is PS Stix

The distributor is the middleman, so can take on as many or as few brands as they are able, no matter where the individual brands get their boards made, and then send them to all their accounts (the skate shops) in a given area.

Roger decks I could see the tops of look to have the letter stamp, which is most common from but not limited to Clutch.

https://www.clutchdistribution.com/popsicle.html

Bob Loblaw

• Rep: 10
« Reply #664 on: October 28, 2020, 09:10:17 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Passport is BBS
WKND is PS Stix

The distributor is the middleman, so can take on as many or as few brands as they are able, no matter where the individual brands get their boards made, and then send them to all their accounts (the skate shops) in a given area.

Roger decks I could see the tops of look to have the letter stamp, which is most common from but not limited to Clutch.

https://www.clutchdistribution.com/popsicle.html

Good to know, thanks for the knowledge

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #665 on: October 28, 2020, 01:56:34 PM »
Roger is ASF/Clutch. If it's Letter/Number stamp on the top between the front truck holes that's the ASF mold/size code. I think sometimes it's reversed like instead of O8 it'll say 8O but its usually letter first then number.

There's some other woodshops that use a similar nomenclature, like woodchuck has a C7 mold but its not stamped and prime has a U5 but it's usually printed rather than stamped and it's between the tail truck holes along with the size. Some day if I get bored I'll try to put together a little guide for ways to ID where a deck is from. Obviously theres some that are really easy and you can pick out from a photo like PS (or BBS when they do laser engraving) and dwindle, then there's some that are more subtle and you kind of have to have the deck in your hand like Pennswood and south central.

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
  • <3
« Reply #666 on: October 28, 2020, 03:37:23 PM »
Probably has been mentioned before, but I'm sleep deprived and go through all the pages of this thread:

What wood manufacturer does Darkroom use? Drkrm? Either way I'm assuming generator or ps
The chillest1

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #667 on: October 28, 2020, 05:00:08 PM »
Probably has been mentioned before, but I'm sleep deprived and go through all the pages of this thread:

What wood manufacturer does Darkroom use? Drkrm? Either way I'm assuming generator or ps

BBS/Generator

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 339
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #668 on: October 29, 2020, 12:48:08 AM »
Where are/were Mystery boards pressed?

Someone is selling them really cheap and with my preferred dimensions nearby.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1942
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #669 on: October 29, 2020, 01:09:54 AM »

Wish I had a concrete answer but the Mystery deck I got recently only came with a Surplus Distribution sticker (https://www.instagram.com/surplusskate/, www.surpluskate.com is a dead link). Didn't see any laser engraving near the bolt holes.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #670 on: October 29, 2020, 01:30:15 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Wish I had a concrete answer but the Mystery deck I got recently only came with a Surplus Distribution sticker (https://www.instagram.com/surplusskate/, www.surpluskate.com is a dead link). Didn't see any laser engraving near the bolt holes.

Have you skated it? If there is no identifiable woodshop I might not take my chances.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #671 on: October 29, 2020, 01:43:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Have you skated it? If there is no identifiable woodshop I might not take my chances.

Nope, it's wider than I like 8.38 so I'm keeping it as a wall hanger. Sorry I don't have a better answer, I shot an email to Mystery and they told me to ask Surplus, then Surplus didn't answer my question about the woodshop. If they are cheap they could be worth a try, maybe don't order 10.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #672 on: October 29, 2020, 08:17:22 AM »
The Mystery decks I saw here were from two different woodshops, one I know to be the quick and easy cheap wood, but most were on something that felt a lot like BBS but I don't think quite were BBS, if that makes sense.  It was definitely good, nice shape, lasted well, which I have a feeling is Clutch / ASF but could be something else.  Looks like these and one might have even had a K stamp, or I might just be wishing it did:

https://www.instagram.com/asfmanufacturing/

https://www.instagram.com/asf_distribution_intl/

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #673 on: October 29, 2020, 08:43:29 AM »

Nope, it's wider than I like 8.38 so I'm keeping it as a wall hanger. Sorry I don't have a better answer, I shot an email to Mystery and they told me to ask Surplus, then Surplus didn't answer my question about the woodshop. If they are cheap they could be worth a try, maybe don't order 10.

Pic of the top / stand on it on carpet or a mat and see if it feels like the BBS concave?

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #674 on: October 29, 2020, 10:27:31 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Pic of the top / stand on it on carpet or a mat and see if it feels like the BBS concave?

I'll do that when I get down to some spring cleaning over the weekend. The deck is in a storage box and living in a tiny apartment makes moving stuff in and out a pain.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #675 on: October 29, 2020, 11:04:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

NO NOW!!!!!

But no really, it is not a worry.

The Mystery decks in pics I have seen from US shops have what looks more like the BBS or Tumyeto warning sticker, certainly different from the small black size circle sticker on local ones here.

I'll do that when I get down to some spring cleaning over the weekend. The deck is in a storage box and living in a tiny apartment makes moving stuff in and out a pain.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #676 on: October 30, 2020, 03:47:56 AM »

I think they were from the black box Mexican woodshop (can never remember the name) years ago and then when they closed they went somewhere else and now I have no idea. Clutch would be my best guess simply because they seem to be the preferred manufacturer for smaller/less popular brands. If you're able to look at them in person or get the seller to send a high resolution photo you might be able to make out some distinguishing marks or mold stamp. Alternatively, you could just send an email or DM them like a man and ask.

The Mystery decks in pics I have seen from US shops have what looks more like the BBS or Tumyeto warning sticker, certainly different from the small black size circle sticker on local ones here.

Theres at least one (and probably several) Chinese manufacturers that use an almost identical red/white warning sticker to the BBS one. I've also seen them from smaller places like sk8 factory in the US. Ive been fooled by those stickers more than once, which is another reason why it's always best to either check them out in person if you can.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #677 on: October 30, 2020, 04:29:57 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I think they were from the black box Mexican woodshop (can never remember the name) years ago and then when they closed they went somewhere else and now I have no idea. Clutch would be my best guess simply because they seem to be the preferred manufacturer for smaller/less popular brands. If you're able to look at them in person or get the seller to send a high resolution photo you might be able to make out some distinguishing marks or mold stamp. Alternatively, you could just send an email or DM them like a man and ask.

Expand Quote

[close]

Theres at least one (and probably several) Chinese manufacturers that use an almost identical red/white warning sticker to the BBS one. I've also seen them from smaller places like sk8 factory in the US. Ive been fooled by those stickers more than once, which is another reason why it's always best to either check them out in person if you can.

I already asked the seller. They gripped the boards and don't remember any identifiers or markings. Might just have to take the plunge.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #678 on: October 30, 2020, 06:30:56 AM »

Amazing isn't it, the old "lets copy this pro brand" in the belief they will sell more product.  Seen it and it works.

I think too there is such a different list of the lower tier companies source of wood in the US to here, cause I think the boards here have been heat transferred here as needed, so they can do them on whatever wood they like, same as the USA too I guess, but they seem to have a bigger and more stable market there.  Different again to some other countries who do heat transfers in their own warehouses on their own locally sourced wood.

I would be looking forward to the 2021 wood shop list, if you are up to it, because I don't think anyone else would have the same knowledge as you do, as well as the drive to keep a list updated.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #679 on: November 03, 2020, 02:30:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Magenta have some 8.38's x 31.75 with a 14" wheelbase
[close]

BRB!!! Been looking for this!! Bless you. haha

Anyone know where I can find these? Google is no help.
[close]

https://www.noteshop.co.uk/products/magenta-zebra-deck-8-375

They're listed as 8.375. I didn't scour the net too much but here's one on a UK site.
[close]

Thanks! They are sold out currently. I didn't think it would be so hard to find them. The size and the brand. haha

People looking for 8.3 approximate size with about 14 wheelbase...

Anyone know or able to help?

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
« Reply #680 on: November 04, 2020, 09:02:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Magenta have some 8.38's x 31.75 with a 14" wheelbase
[close]

BRB!!! Been looking for this!! Bless you. haha

Anyone know where I can find these? Google is no help.
[close]

https://www.noteshop.co.uk/products/magenta-zebra-deck-8-375

They're listed as 8.375. I didn't scour the net too much but here's one on a UK site.
[close]

Thanks! They are sold out currently. I didn't think it would be so hard to find them. The size and the brand. haha
[close]

People looking for 8.3 approximate size with about 14 wheelbase...

Anyone know or able to help?

Thanks for looking out. I spent all night still searching and nothing so far.

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #681 on: November 05, 2020, 12:31:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Are primitive price point decks BBS as well?
[close]
I heard from a “reliable source” that Primitive bought Clutch.

Dont think so team boards are from China
[close]

Is this newest run of Primitive BBS? They look a lot like clutch O Shape in their most recent insta posts.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2220
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #682 on: November 05, 2020, 12:57:20 PM »
Anybody know who’s pressing Scram’s wood?
I’ve picked up two for the stockpile during the COVIDs, and they’re... well, different.
Way too thick to be BBS, and the kicks & cave are not the same either. No tell tale markings, either.
Did I mention they’re super thick?
Anyhow, I haven’t set either of them up yet, and their origin won’t affect whether or when I ride they, so it hardly matters to me.
I am aware, however, that the wood shop directory is a point of great pride for all the S&G board heads, so in the interest of upholding one of our finest institutions, I ask if any fellow PALS have current info on Scram.
Shalom.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #683 on: November 05, 2020, 01:02:58 PM »
I’ve picked up two for the stockpile during the COVIDs, and they’re... well, different.
Way too thick to be BBS, and the kicks & cave are not the same either. No tell tale markings, either.
Anyhow, I haven’t set either of them up yet, and their origin won’t affect whether or when I ride they, so it hardly matters to me.
I am aware, however, that the wood shop directory is a point of great pride for all the S&G board heads, so in the interest of upholding one of our finest institutions, I ask if any fellow PALS have current info on Scram.
Shalom.

Whenever I hear about a board being xtra thicc, South Central comes to mind. That being said, I have never seen a Scram IRL so what I have to say is pretty irrelevant. I just love to chat.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #684 on: November 05, 2020, 01:07:34 PM »
Shalom.

I’m curious too. I’ve had three Scrams and they are all definitely thicker than any other BBS I’ve had and don’t feel like South central either. Neither the concaves nor the thickness feel consistent with either wood shop as far as I have seen. The most recent Scram I had sogged out pretty quick which I haven’t experienced with either wood shop too.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #685 on: November 05, 2020, 02:26:04 PM »
From 2017 Generator but more recently looks like Watson...

« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 02:48:33 PM by Mbrimson88 »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #686 on: November 05, 2020, 02:45:18 PM »
Also seen some Watson stickers on the top side of Scram Skates decks, but don't know how long ago that was from, guessing it was from even earlier than Generator or maybe they have gone back there again now.

One that was over here felt the same as Suicidal and Dogtown decks (both Watson), so yes quite thick and about average concave and kicks, so if not, then maybe one of those smaller USA woodshops.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #687 on: November 05, 2020, 03:08:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Shalom.
[close]

I’m curious too. I’ve had three Scrams and they are all definitely thicker than any other BBS I’ve had and don’t feel like South central either. Neither the concaves nor the thickness feel consistent with either wood shop as far as I have seen. The most recent Scram I had sogged out pretty quick which I haven’t experienced with either wood shop too.

Scram is Prime, or at least the latest ones are. Never skated one myself so I'm just going by pics so I don't know how recent of a change that is or whatever. Prime does the size print on top ply between the bottom truck holes and U5 is their standard concave mold. You can buy U5 blanks from socal and a few other places. 

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Scram_Scramhain_Pop_Deck/descpage-SRSCRMH82DK.html

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #688 on: November 05, 2020, 04:10:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Shalom.
[close]

[close]

Scram is Prime, or at least the latest ones are. Never skated one myself so I'm just going by pics so I don't know how recent of a change that is or whatever. Prime does the size print on top ply between the bottom truck holes and U5 is their standard concave mold. You can buy U5 blanks from socal and a few other places. 

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Scram_Scramhain_Pop_Deck/descpage-SRSCRMH82DK.html

Ahhh, gotcha, thanks for the info! The one that I liked most was this

https://www.paradeworld.com/products/scram-skate-btp-lupe-dope-shaped-skateboard-deck-880-7-3928518852675/

Which had a real nice steep concave/kicks and didn’t dog out at all. I would definitely mess with this shape again, or blanks with that mold

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #689 on: November 05, 2020, 04:39:53 PM »

Ahhh, gotcha, thanks for the info! The one that I liked most was this

https://www.paradeworld.com/products/scram-skate-btp-lupe-dope-shaped-skateboard-deck-880-7-3928518852675/

Which had a real nice steep concave/kicks and didn’t dog out at all. I would definitely mess with this shape again, or blanks with that mold

I don't really know a lot about Scram, so those older decks could have been from somewhere else for all I know. With the way things are right now everyone is just getting wood from wherever they can, so the prime thing might be new for all I know... that Samhain deck just caught my eye a while back so I looked into it a bit and figured out they were prime.

I will say that I bought a prime blank last year (pretty sure it was U5) and wasn't really impressed with it. It was a little longer than I like and the tail was pretty steep, so the shape wasn't a great fit and I didn't think the wood was great. It wasn't bad or anything, but it didn't impress me. That being said, who the hell knows how long it had been sitting on a shelf in North Carolina or if they use lower grade wood for the blanks or if it was just a dud or what. I just never had the desire to try it again after that, but I wouldn't avoid a deck just because they used it either.