Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 719830 times)

Murge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #4170 on: May 22, 2022, 07:44:16 AM »
Im sorry for asking this, i know its been discussed x amounts of times already but i really cant decide between Radials, reg. conicals and og classics..

Ive been on two pairs of 53mm conical fulls before but want to shave off a little weight as i like to ride 55-57mm for longevity.

Is conicals the in between shape of the three?

I haven’t had the OG classics but I have been eyeing them. I have had radials and I enjoyed them but I’m on regular conicals now and I think I prefer them over the radials.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1156
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #4171 on: May 22, 2022, 08:20:00 AM »
Im sorry for asking this, i know its been discussed x amounts of times already but i really cant decide between Radials, reg. conicals and og classics..

Ive been on two pairs of 53mm conical fulls before but want to shave off a little weight as i like to ride 55-57mm for longevity.

I haven’t had the og classics but I’m riding sets of conicals and radials right now. The conical is my preferred street/ledge wheel, you can usually get them in smaller sizes (52/53).

Radial is a good do it all wheel and they usually produce them in bigger sizes. I’ve got them on a huffer set up right now. It’s definitely the most in between shape in my opinion. Good surface riding area but a much rounder shoulder than conical

beandemon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 181
« Reply #4172 on: May 22, 2022, 08:24:59 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I haven’t had the OG classics but I have been eyeing them. I have had radials and I enjoyed them but I’m on regular conicals now and I think I prefer them over the radials.

Pouring over the spitfire shape charts, the OG classic is basically like a regular conical with a lil’ wider contact patch. Like you started with a 56mm conical and rode it to 55mm, it would be really close to a fresh 55mm OG classic. Radials are actually close to CF’s in width with a slightly narrower contact area. So, based on the numbers, I would say regular conical would save the most weight, OG would last the longest. Radials would be a lateral move from CFs.

Ive been riding 58mm OG classics in classic formula all spring and like them enough I’ve considered the same wheel in formula four to see if it does less of everything and more of everything, only better.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #4173 on: May 22, 2022, 01:11:58 PM »
Regular conicals have a tiny bit more rounded sidewalls as OG classics in the same size.

I am on some 52mm conicals and really like them.
IG: @flowterspace

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
« Reply #4174 on: May 22, 2022, 11:57:04 PM »
OG classic is my fav bowl wheel ever now. Slammed so hard on Radials when they rolled over the coping onto the deck. I did a couple parking lot slappies and they (radials) roll up on curbs good. Those 55mm Oski Radials are for sale, only skated one day
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 10:31:34 AM by braksabbath »

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #4175 on: May 23, 2022, 10:20:16 AM »
OG classic is my fav bowl wheel ever now. Slammed so hard on Radials when they rolled over the coping onto the deck. I did a couple parking lot slappies and they roll up on curbs good. Those 55mm Oski Radials are for sale, only skated one day

Hah!  I’ve had the opposite experience with OG Classics. Skated a wooden bowl where the coping is inconsistent in terms of protrusion and how close the sheeting is. There a section where the coping sticks way out and there’s a pretty big gap between it and the top sheet. You can basically get stuck below the coping and it shoots your board away when you give it the umshalla to get on the coping. Like getting rejected on a layup.

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #4176 on: May 24, 2022, 11:57:41 PM »
I just got a pair of Conical Full 56mm to replace my defective Radial Full 56mm.

It's crazy how big both wheels are. Radial Fulls felt like monster truck wheels for better or for worse. I didn't realize the 56mm Conical Fulls would be almost as big.

The width leap from 54mm to 55mm is massive on Conical Fulls.

I like big wheels but Radial Fulls were definitely pushing it for me in the width department. Looks like these Conical Fulls will be more of the same.

It's actually really interesting comparing the CF 1:1 with Bones V6 56mm. Despite being the same width, the Bones have a deeper cut away and narrower riding surface. I measured them out of curiosity and the difference was the V6 were a full 10% lighter weight.

I really want to try some OG classics next. Looks like those have a deep cut away too.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

DERBY

• Rep: 267
« Reply #4177 on: May 25, 2022, 04:00:23 AM »
60mm tablet fulls would be so fucked

Bumba

• Rep: 32
« Reply #4178 on: May 25, 2022, 06:47:06 AM »

Radials have lasted way longer than f4 classics. Same feel and look to them but that wider riding patch helps a ton

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1341
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #4179 on: May 30, 2022, 09:27:15 PM »
60mm F4 97s are hitting shops. I have been waiting for that exact wheel for so long now. My old dude nostalgia set-up can finally be completed. Shoutout to Jeff Carlyle for pushing for them to go 60
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #4180 on: May 31, 2022, 02:22:04 AM »
I’m “stuck” with a couple sets of classics. I haven’t ridden such a skinny wheel since the Manderson pro wheel shape came out.

It’s all in my head right and these will serve me just fine?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1037
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4181 on: May 31, 2022, 04:29:17 AM »
I’m “stuck” with a couple sets of classics. I haven’t ridden such a skinny wheel since the Manderson pro wheel shape came out.

They sure do skate well.

Funny though cause I would always be down to swap for something else, but shipping just seems not worth it (even just here in AU) with sales like the OCD 30% off and Formula Four sets for AU $55 anyway.

What size do you have and what size and shape would you prefer, if you could swap them for something else?

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 792
« Reply #4182 on: May 31, 2022, 06:01:42 AM »

i used to skate cfs all the time, switched to classics when i couldn't find any 99 cfs, after that i got a set of og classics and i can't do them anymore.

classics get wider with wear too
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

downtodevin

• Rep: 36
« Reply #4183 on: June 03, 2022, 08:14:35 AM »
A few weeks ago Spitfire posted a Max Palmer clip from Limosine’s video, does anyone know what wheels Max uses?

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
« Reply #4184 on: June 03, 2022, 09:54:39 AM »

I just switched to Spitfire classics after spending about 2 years on wider wheels (lock-ins, OG classics, conical fulls, radial fulls).  Honestly, once you get past how they visually look skinnier they’re great.  I actually think they’re more fun- they’re a little more erratic and exciting sliding around carving and turning and they slide so much better on noseslides, tailslides, and lipslides on ledges.  Outside of 5050s I don’t think the lock-in is noticeably worse on grinds.  I have 55s though.  Idk if I could skate 52s or something.  The wheel might just look too small.

lilboosie

• Rep: 227
« Reply #4185 on: June 03, 2022, 10:10:22 AM »
anyone looking for some lock ins. i see that they dont really have them anymore and im switching back to classics. going to post to classified today. they are 55 but ill measure them to see if they wore down. didnt skate them much

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 188
« Reply #4186 on: June 03, 2022, 02:13:03 PM »
anyone looking for some lock ins. i see that they dont really have them anymore and im switching back to classics. going to post to classified today. they are 55 but ill measure them to see if they wore down. didnt skate them much
Not sure what sizes but 35th north had a couple pairs last weekend when I was in there. You might want to give them a ring.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #4187 on: June 03, 2022, 02:37:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Not sure what sizes but 35th north had a couple pairs last weekend when I was in there. You might want to give them a ring.

A few pairs of wheels I’m on it.

Top shop for sure

Fooj

« Reply #4188 on: June 03, 2022, 03:05:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
My bad, misread your post. Thought you were in search for some.

lilboosie

« Reply #4189 on: June 03, 2022, 03:22:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
My bad, misread your post. Thought you were in search for some.

no worries! you might have helped out others looking for some

RaptorHunter182

• Rep: 2
« Reply #4190 on: June 04, 2022, 01:11:22 PM »
My favorite wheels. So many great shape options (the Classics and Conical Fulls are my two favorites) and I've never flatspotted a pair. Totally worth getting and reverts on them feel like heaven.

lilboosie

« Reply #4191 on: June 04, 2022, 05:15:21 PM »
How's the slide on 97a compare to 99a f4s?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1015
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4192 on: June 04, 2022, 05:35:37 PM »

It slides, but not as well; just requires more effort.

FuzzGNU

« Reply #4193 on: June 04, 2022, 05:44:33 PM »

Wasn't a fan of the slide. That is my main complaint with them (besides being a bit bouncy and muted feeling). They are hard to get sliding, and then they are really sticky once they do slide. Takes a lot of effort to not get bucked off a standard powerslide from my experience.

They tackle crust super well though, so a wheel with great utility... just not the most "fun" wheel.

When the Powell SSF 93a eventually come out, I recommend those over F4 97a. Similar amount of crust tackling, but feels like a harder wheel and slides super well.

lilboosie

« Reply #4194 on: June 04, 2022, 06:19:01 PM »
Hm. Time to decide if I want more grip or less slide .

Fooj

« Reply #4195 on: June 04, 2022, 06:52:27 PM »

They slide really good for how much they help with the rough ground, but i definitely noticed a little difference when bluntsliding.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #4196 on: June 04, 2022, 10:00:27 PM »

I prefer it for powerslides as it gives a bit more resistance and actually slows you down
On waxed concrete ledges it feels the same just stickier, have to push a bit more

However on some metal coping and other materials it seems to catch and stick a lot more

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
« Reply #4197 on: June 08, 2022, 06:29:27 PM »
lock ins are back in shops

glow in the dark wheels look like regular spitfires in person not really any green tint or whatever still potato color

97 radial fulls on the way

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
« Reply #4198 on: June 08, 2022, 07:21:49 PM »
glow in the dark wheels look like regular spitfires in person not really any green tint or whatever still potato color

great news everybody!

FuzzGNU

« Reply #4199 on: June 08, 2022, 08:01:02 PM »
lock ins are back in shops

97 radial fulls on the way

I hope they glow well, those could be sick looking for night VX footage.

Heads up... Radial Fulls are BIG and heavy. Absolute monster truck wheels even at 56mm. I can't imagine how big they are at a higher diameter.

56mm Conical Fulls are noticeably larger than 54mm Conical Fulls (they start really growing in width at 55mm for some reason)... and 56mm Radial Fulls are even bigger than Conical Full 56mm. I'm someone who loves big wheels, and the Radial Fulls were sliiightly too big/heavy for me.

I'm glad they are making it in 97a... that seems like the right duro for that size/shape. If I want a wheel that big and wide, it better tackle crust crazy well, and the 99a just weren't cutting it. 97a do a much better job. Should be a nice ATV/cruiser wheel, but I'm going to be sticking with the new Bones/Powell 93a until Spitfire responds with something new.