Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 717052 times)

big_kev_215 and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1084
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #3540 on: June 30, 2021, 01:24:08 PM »
Just bought some Spitfire 97a wheels from Skate Warehouse the other day, when they had their 20% off sale. There are still plenty available

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/searchresults.html?search=products#search=products&searchtext=97a+spitfire

And yes, I'll say it again - these are the best wheel I've found for anyone who isn't skating in flawless parks or in places with persistent rain and the freeze/thaw cycle.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

PrettyRicki

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 10
  • Symmetrical boards <3
« Reply #3541 on: June 30, 2021, 01:24:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The summer drop of Spitfire wheels are on the website. There aren't any 97du on there?!  :'(

https://www.spitfirewheels.com/
[close]

Whaaaaa?

What the fuck

I love mine. Only ever see everyone else say the same.
[close]
Yes there are...

Oops, you're right. I have no clue how I missed that. Really glad they're still around.

Looks like production could have been coming back to almost normal (before urethane shortages cause production issues again, that is).
Interested to see how many of these Radials in 54 or 56mm make it to places too, seeing as some people really liked them or wanted more.

It's nice they're offering the raw/white colored ones but at least the Radials got a lot of sizes of the Skate Like a Girl series in the past year. I swear that colored wheels are more slick though. Also, I noticed that just because they're on the spitfire website, doesn't mean you'll be able to find them anywhere online or at a shop.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3542 on: June 30, 2021, 01:51:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The summer drop of Spitfire wheels are on the website. There aren't any 97du on there?!  :'(

[close]

Whaaaaa?

What the fuck

[close]
Yes there are...
[close]

Oops, you're right. I have no clue how I missed that. Really glad they're still around.

I know the site sometimes takes a bit to load, so as it is all pic squares, it would be easy to miss if they didn't load as you wouldn't see it.

Re current catalog

They have the full lines of all sizes of the current wheels showing in this one, but as said before, I haven't seen anything over about 56mm apart from the F4 OG 58 and the 97 CF 58 in the last year.

Don't know how many and of what is released, or if they are all snapped up with pre books, but I have seen some huge orders in US shop Instagram posts recently - pretty much all the sizes, colours, etc.

I guess that often doesn't translate to being easy to find or available online, especially as a few of those shops don't really put things into their online store as they sell very well in their physical locations.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

PrettyRicki

• Symmetrical boards <3
« Reply #3543 on: June 30, 2021, 02:06:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Whaaaaa?

What the fuck

[close]
Yes there are...
[close]

[close]
They have the full lines of all sizes of the current wheels showing in this one, but as said before, I haven't seen anything over about 56mm apart from the F4 OG 58 and the 97 CF 58 in the last year.

You're right, they're hard to find but a google search came up with these. Although shipping to Australia might be rough.

https://www.oldskullskateboards.com/spitfire-f4-99d-og-classic-60mm-skateboard-wheels-set-of-4/

http://www.satelliteboardshop.com/skate/wheels/spitfire/formula-4-classic-99d-60mm-pid-26038

https://www.amazon.com/Spitfire-Skateboard-Wheels-Classics-Formula/dp/B08NMYJYT7/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=spitfire%2B60mm&qid=1625087028&sr=8-1&th=1&psc=1

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3544 on: June 30, 2021, 02:09:10 PM »
For people in EU, or maybe Germany at least, this place seems to have a lot of wheels...

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3545 on: June 30, 2021, 02:16:37 PM »

You're right, they're hard to find but a google search came up with these. Although shipping to Australia might be rough.

There are still some out there - all the 60mm wheels I am sitting on are not going anywhere, unless it is for very specific people I know who ride them, but for most people who could ride anything, what they can easily get in 56mm is plenty big enough.

Before I had a skate shop of my own, I had ordered from places like Skull Skates a bit over the years and it wasn't too bad for shipping, but there are usually local options in every country that many people wouldn't know about, or at least easier ways to source the "hard to find" things, if you know where to look.

PrettyRicki

• Symmetrical boards <3
« Reply #3546 on: June 30, 2021, 02:21:42 PM »
For people in EU, or maybe Germany at least, this place seems to have a lot of wheels...

Damn I want those 48mm lil smokies in that first picture! I have some 50mm ones but I didn't know they made them as small as 48mm.

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #3547 on: June 30, 2021, 02:57:14 PM »
I'm interested in trying those 56mm Radials. Anyone have any commentary on the difference in riding experience from Conical Fulls?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3548 on: June 30, 2021, 03:45:19 PM »

Damn I want those 48mm lil smokies in that first picture! I have some 50mm ones but I didn't know they made them as small as 48mm.

They are almost the little hidden gems of Spitfire - not in catalogs, not listed anywhere other than shops, supposed to be a pricepoint wheel (although some shops still have them at premium prices) but also come in various shapes too, eg classic, tablet, conical full, etc mostly 50 but also 48mm.

I'm interested in trying those 56mm Radials. Anyone have any commentary on the difference in riding experience from Conical Fulls?

For 56mm size in both that I had, the radials are not as wide and are just a bit easier to get on and off coping when I skated transition and ramps with them.  Didn't really use them for much else, other than going fast, but they both have a decent side to "lock in" on ledges and similar too.

I did find anything over 54 in conical full is a bit much for me in width and profile, but I really like the bigger classics and classic full rounder shapes in bigger sizes.  They also wear down a lot better for me too, eg when 56-58 classics are down to 52mm, they are wider with a slight edge but still feel like classics, not the sharper edge of conical full wheels.  Radials are the same as classics, in that they are not as wide, slightly rounder and don't end up with a sharp edge.

That is just me though, as I know some people love the conical full in the bigger sizes.

PrettyRicki

• Symmetrical boards <3
« Reply #3549 on: June 30, 2021, 04:11:36 PM »

Radials feel a lot like slightly worn down Classics where Conical Fulls are a very beefy wheel that gives lots of traction.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
  • &#633;&#477;&#652;&#477;&#633;o&#607; llo&#7450;
« Reply #3550 on: June 30, 2021, 05:42:27 PM »
Looks like production could have been coming back to almost normal (before urethane shortages cause production issues again, that is).

Interested to see how many of these Radials in 54 or 56mm make it to places too, seeing as some people really liked them or wanted more.

At the end Radials are like Classics full rightm
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3551 on: June 30, 2021, 07:35:25 PM »

At the end Radials are like Classics full right

Radials are almost the same width as normal classics, but a much squarer profile.

Classic Full are a wider wheel overall, so add 1 to 2 mm to the middle width of classics, but yeah only 1 or 2 mm total width difference, to .5 mm difference between classic to radials.

I should take a pic of the Classic Full packaging, but they actually get all the measurements wrong for the larger sizes, the 56 and 58 mm wheels.

Fixed the widths to be more accurate, although I think they were maybe .5 mm wider in the 56 and 58 mm sizes.

Spitfire Chart
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 04:58:28 AM by Mbrimson88 »

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1951
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3552 on: June 30, 2021, 10:17:04 PM »
Bummer there aren't Radial Slims in the catalog, those are my favorite shape. They make Classics feel chunky by comparison.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1008
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #3553 on: June 30, 2021, 11:29:03 PM »
Bummer there aren't Radial Slims in the catalog, those are my favorite shape. They make Classics feel chunky by comparison.

Same. After riding tablets (which I've determined I don't like at all for curbs), I switched back to radial slims. Easily the most underrated wheel in the line-up; I hope it being MIA from the catalog doesn't mean it's going away/replaced by the Tablets.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 11:43:17 PM by Xen »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3554 on: July 01, 2021, 12:10:13 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

They are almost the little hidden gems of Spitfire - not in catalogs, not listed anywhere other than shops, supposed to be a pricepoint wheel (although some shops still have them at premium prices) but also come in various shapes too, eg classic, tablet, conical full, etc mostly 50 but also 48mm.

50mm/51mm tablets:

https://www.paradeworld.com/search/?query=lil%20smokies

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #3555 on: July 01, 2021, 01:38:24 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Same. After riding tablets (which I've determined I don't like at all for curbs), I switched back to radial slims. Easily the most underrated wheel in the line-up; I hope it being MIA from the catalog doesn't mean it's going away/replaced by the Tablets.

Facts. Radial slims >>>>>>> tablets by a landslide

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3556 on: July 01, 2021, 04:26:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Wish they did more limited run pro graphics on the Radial Slims, this shape never gets the pro colorway love.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3557 on: July 01, 2021, 08:36:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Wish they did more limited run pro graphics on the Radial Slims, this shape never gets the pro colorway love.

One assumes that a pro would actually ride them to warrant a colorway right? Maybe no one does? That's how wheel shapes go away...classic slim/full, the A.W.O.L shape (F1 shape, never an F4 shape)...if sales/pros aren't there why make them?

F4 Classic slim:

white guy in a durag

« Reply #3558 on: July 01, 2021, 09:03:19 AM »
RIP classic full. I think it's a bit of self fulfilling prophecy though; more people would probably buy classic fulls if the graphic on big heads wasn't so dog shit.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -764
« Reply #3559 on: July 01, 2021, 11:14:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I'm intrigued. What makes them so good.?
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

PrettyRicki

• Symmetrical boards <3
« Reply #3560 on: July 01, 2021, 11:24:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

The sharp sides on the tablets (and lock-ins) made them grind kind of weird, like it was slowing it down instead of rolling along. The tablets I've tried also made shuvs and some flip tricks behave different as well.

I've only tried Radial slims in 51mm (both 99du and 101du) and it made my board feel like some sort of dead toy but they grinded and slid well. Maybe it was that particular deck or my truck setup, I might try them again in the future with a different setup.

I did really, really enjoy my set of 51mm Radials 99du (not slims) but they were only offered in green for the Skate Like a Girl collab.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #3561 on: July 01, 2021, 11:34:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Unless you really really need that maximum immediate riding surface on the thinnest wheel, radial slims pretty much do everything tablets do but better.

Same width, still a good amount of riding surface (more than classics), lock in pretty much just as good as they're still a square ish wheel (I skate round rails a good amount and the lock in difference is very minimal). But because they taper a teeny bit and have a slight sidecut, they feel a little more nimble, less clunky and slappy better.

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #3562 on: July 01, 2021, 12:52:22 PM »
RIP classic full. I think it's a bit of self fulfilling prophecy though; more people would probably buy classic fulls if the graphic on big heads wasn't so dog shit.

Do y’all really care about graphics? Mine are gone in less than a week.

white guy in a durag

« Reply #3563 on: July 01, 2021, 01:33:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Do y’all really care about graphics? Mine are gone in less than a week.
It's a psychological thing, like getting thrown off because you know your socks are mismatched. Even if no one sees them, and the graphic is completely worn off, I'll know they looked like ass when I bought them and will resent them. This is why I will never buy STFs; the v4 is a great shape but the highlighter green patterns are so putrid my vibe will be wrong for as long as I'm riding them.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3564 on: July 01, 2021, 03:36:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I know this has been posted before, but the Daan V L wheel was the last one I recall, maybe the only one of the 99 duro radial slim pro wheel.  I think there were others with coloured options and 101 but I tend not to pay so much attention to them.

As for these ones, I actually had a very lightly used set come through my hands and they were a great little wheel to skate, before they went to someone else.

I am not such a big fan of graphics on wheels (and usually machine them off before I skate them) but that graphic is pretty cool and I would be lying if I said I have never bought wheels just for the graphic alone.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3565 on: July 01, 2021, 05:30:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

The sharp sides on the tablets (and lock-ins) made them grind kind of weird, like it was slowing it down instead of rolling along. The tablets I've tried also made shuvs and some flip tricks behave different as well.

I've only tried Radial slims in 51mm (both 99du and 101du) and it made my board feel like some sort of dead toy but they grinded and slid well. Maybe it was that particular deck or my truck setup, I might try them again in the future with a different setup.

I did really, really enjoy my set of 51mm Radials 99du (not slims) but they were only offered in green for the Skate Like a Girl collab.

I thought it was just me, the tablets made everything but ledge skating and straight ollies feel off
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Unless you really really need that maximum immediate riding surface on the thinnest wheel, radial slims pretty much do everything tablets do but better.

Same width, still a good amount of riding surface (more than classics), lock in pretty much just as good as they're still a square ish wheel (I skate round rails a good amount and the lock in difference is very minimal). But because they taper a teeny bit and have a slight sidecut, they feel a little more nimble, less clunky and slappy better.

Clunky is the right way to describe the tablets, especially the taller you go.

Anyone know how the OG classics compare to radial slims?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 11:10:53 PM by Xen »

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #3566 on: July 01, 2021, 06:57:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I know this has been posted before, but the Daan V L wheel was the last one I recall, maybe the only one of the 99 duro radial slim pro wheel.  I think there were others with coloured options and 101 but I tend not to pay so much attention to them.

As for these ones, I actually had a very lightly used set come through my hands and they were a great little wheel to skate, before they went to someone else.

I am not such a big fan of graphics on wheels (and usually machine them off before I skate them) but that graphic is pretty cool and I would be lying if I said I have never bought wheels just for the graphic alone.

This graphic is too nice. Reminds me somewhat of a Zoo York board that I had: I wanna say Jeff Pang, tiger balm. Venture mids (at least I think they made a mid truck somewhere in the 95-97 ish years).

As to f4s: fave wheels. I tried to do the conical full thing, and just never like them. I pretty much just like the classic shape. I liked the Mike Anderson sfw wheel tho, and that was chunkier….whatever. Pretty big fan of the 97s I have, hopefully they make them smaller.
Anyone have some pros and cons to the classic formula vs the f4s? Meaning, is there any pros to the classic formula?
Wheels have gone from not an afterthought, but they certainly weren’t my first consideration with a setup, to being the thing that changes the rest of the parts: switched from skating the deck size and truck style I like, to accommodate bigger wheels.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3567 on: July 02, 2021, 01:06:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Lock better than Lock-Ins - less side wall rub for a more natural grind
Wider riding patch than classics
Narrower than a Classic or Conical
Slight curve to the lip makes scoopy tricks easier, albiet less than a classic

TLDR- technical like a Classic, grippy like a Conical, but skinnier like a classic should be
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3568 on: July 02, 2021, 01:24:32 AM »

I thought it was just me, the tablets made everything but ledge skating and straight ollies feel off

Clunky is the right way to describe the tablets, especially the taller you go.

Anyone know how the OG classics compare to radial slims?

I went and dug them out and have all of them now sitting on my desk to compare - Tablets, OG Classics, Radial slims and Conical wheels.

Why Conicals?  Well just to compare all of them and I would almost say the normal Conical wheels are the closest to Radial slims for the side profile and overall size, width and riding surface, with OG Classics closer to Tablets in the side profile, even though the OG cut in and Tablets do not.

As for the specs, diameter / width / riding surface as follows:

Radial slim  ....  52  /  30     /  18.5
Conical       ....  52  /  31.5  /  19.5
Tablets        ...  52  /  29    /  20
OG Classics  ..  52  /  31    /  21.5
Classics      ...  52  /  32    /  15.5

EDIT:  I know I often do things that others might think crazy, including taking an angle grinder to wheels to shape them into slightly rounder wheels (usually from old Conical Full wheels) but when I am looking at the Conical wheels, if you took a touch off each side at the widest point they would pretty much be Radial slims, but I probably would not recommend doing this unless you are fairly confident of what you are doing.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2021, 01:36:15 AM by Mbrimson88 »

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
  • &#633;&#477;&#652;&#477;&#633;o&#607; llo&#7450;
« Reply #3569 on: July 02, 2021, 05:16:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

This graphic is too nice. Reminds me somewhat of a Zoo York board that I had: I wanna say Jeff Pang, tiger balm. Venture mids (at least I think they made a mid truck somewhere in the 95-97 ish years).

As to f4s: fave wheels. I tried to do the conical full thing, and just never like them. I pretty much just like the classic shape. I liked the Mike Anderson sfw wheel tho, and that was chunkier….whatever. Pretty big fan of the 97s I have, hopefully they make them smaller.
Anyone have some pros and cons to the classic formula vs the f4s? Meaning, is there any pros to the classic formula?
Short answer: No, unless you like flat spots.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.