Author Topic: Ryan Clements | The Nine Club With Chris Roberts - Episode 51  (Read 12721 times)

Sleazy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Ryan Clements | The Nine Club With Chris Roberts - Episode 51
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2017, 07:29:05 PM »
pro skaters stay in the game a lot longer these days, it's not just people burning out in their early 20s. it's surprising to me that people can't relate to guy taking way more money to ride for adidas than es. who wouldn't do that? if you got offered double with perks for a different job would you really not take it?

they aren't making music and having to sell their artistic souls, they are joining teams that are making some great product and getting paid way more to skate with legends and fly first class to spots.

clement's is just helping these guys not blow it while the getting is good. skating went corporate a long ass time ago.

Joe Pesci

« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2017, 10:22:59 PM »
pro skaters stay in the game a lot longer these days, it's not just people burning out in their early 20s. it's surprising to me that people can't relate to guy taking way more money to ride for adidas than es. who wouldn't do that? if you got offered double with perks for a different job would you really not take it?

Pay your bills with core points

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1520
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2017, 01:52:17 AM »
Fighting for an individual PRO's future to save skater owned skateboarding is like fucking for virginity.

There have always been smart and dumb skateboard PROs and do you know how you define a smart sportsman? Smart sportsmen know that their careers are temporary and plan for life after retirement. They get some sort of a degree and can make a living when their bodies can't take abuse anymore.

Clements is pushing for the exact opposite: make kids into sports superstars (like in other major sports) that are set for life after their short careers (Daniel Haney, what a fucking legend). Good for them, but skateboarding gets badly raped in the process. And his motivation for doing to is totally selfish - to take his share managing them.

micky682

« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2017, 08:38:40 AM »
Fighting for an individual PRO's future to save skater owned skateboarding is like fucking for virginity.

There have always been smart and dumb skateboard PROs and do you know how you define a smart sportsman? Smart sportsmen know that their careers are temporary and plan for life after retirement. They get some sort of a degree and can make a living when their bodies can't take abuse anymore.

Clements is pushing for the exact opposite: make kids into sports superstars (like in other major sports) that are set for life after their short careers (Daniel Haney, what a fucking legend). Good for them, but skateboarding gets badly raped in the process. And his motivation for doing to is totally selfish - to take his share managing them.

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2017, 08:57:59 AM »
the effect this episode had on me was going and buying a pair of the eS SLB mids.

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 171
« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2017, 10:16:26 AM »
the effect this episode had on me was going and buying a pair of the eS SLB mids.
Once I'm finishing my current stock of shoes, I will probably purchase some Etnies Jameson XT and some Lakai flaco high.
Then again, if I find some dunks or NB# 533 for 45e or less it will be hard to say no.

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1972
« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2017, 12:26:03 PM »

You mean to get paid for his job?

I just finished the episode, and while it was definitely very business-centric I think you guys are going kinda overboard with it. A lot of skateboarders aren't very savvy to money management and legal mumbo jumbo (duh) so his services make perfect sense. It's a job, and it's not like it's an unheard of job either. Why is it selfish to be compensated for your job?

essal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2017, 12:51:48 PM »
Why is it selfish to be compensated for your job?
because everything in skateboarding should be free!!! free!!! free!! free max b

Fecal Fury

• Rep: 60
  • 1800-18-18-18
« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2017, 03:11:36 PM »
i fucking loved this episode

This episode was intriguing as fuck and clearly shows the divide between those here with entrepreneurial tendencies and those without.

Ya'll haters are blind to the realities of the industry and the fact that when Skating became as big as it is now, money followed and the burnouts who created something of value couldn't sustain or compete on the business side of things.
Adapt or die. Or sit on the internet bitching about how things weren't as they once were.

All I heard from this episode was a dude with a legitimate love for skating who's doing exactly what Sleazy said:

clement's is just helping these guys not blow it while the getting is good. skating went corporate a long ass time ago.

micky682

« Reply #69 on: June 07, 2017, 04:26:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This episode was intriguing as fuck and clearly shows the divide between those here with entrepreneurial tendencies and those without.

Ya'll haters are blind to the realities of the industry and the fact that when Skating became as big as it is now, money followed and the burnouts who created something of value couldn't sustain or compete on the business side of things.
Adapt or die. Or sit on the internet bitching about how things weren't as they once were.

All I heard from this episode was a dude with a legitimate love for skating who's doing exactly what Sleazy said:

Expand Quote
[close]
Nah, Capitalism is destroying this world and has been for a while. I thought more skaters would be against these types of people.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 146
« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2017, 04:49:37 PM »
Agreed with the entrepreneur talk.  Been listening to a lot of Gary V talk about how to start your own business

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #71 on: June 07, 2017, 10:19:04 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

He's complicit in destroying entrepreneurship within skateboarding for a small fee and calling himself one in the process.

I have the feeling that anyone beginning his statements with y'all haters isn't capable of sustaining much either.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 10:20:48 PM by ChronicBluntSlider »

able

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 635
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2017, 11:20:39 PM »
What an alpha male... 👏 👏

I've only heard half of this but I feel like just stopping and taking a shower

I don't want to get any of this on me
ableSkateMag.com

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1587
« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2017, 11:56:13 PM »
The only thing I could really relate to is the part about owning Toyotas.....

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2017, 06:51:05 AM »
WHY THE FUCK NOBODY TALKS ABOUT THAT DIEGO NAJERA SHOE??????????????
come on kelly I what to see them better

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 171
« Reply #75 on: June 08, 2017, 08:32:35 AM »
These are colorways of the sesla and maybe the accel slim.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #76 on: June 08, 2017, 09:12:09 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
These are colorways of the sesla and maybe the accel slim.

Not to mention that Kelly had those available, I know that's his apartment so duh, but they were right there with him so Clements didn't blind side him with Diego talk.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
« Reply #77 on: June 08, 2017, 09:48:14 AM »
The only way I look at this is back in the days, there was only the few that were getting big checks like P-Rod, Nyjah, etc and now Clements is allowing a lot of skaters to get these big checks. I think the only way this balances out among say the Slap pals if he helps out the core skaters that we all love. Like if he helped out T-Gunns get some sponsorship since he seems to be out on a lot, I think most of us would be happy with that. By the end of it though like a lot of things in the skate world, the core brands are the ones who lose out. I do believe core brands need to practice different business strategies but it's tough when competing with Nike, Adidas, etc.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #78 on: June 08, 2017, 11:20:58 AM »
I think the only way this balances out among say the Slap pals if he helps out the core skaters that we all love.

he said he does pro bono work for people and i'm sure that includes some cool, legit skaters

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #79 on: June 08, 2017, 11:28:30 AM »
Expand Quote
I think the only way this balances out among say the Slap pals if he helps out the core skaters that we all love.
[close]

he said he does pro bono work for people and i'm sure that includes some cool, legit skaters

you also gets a tax write off whenever you donate to charitable causes or do something charitable like pro bono work.  
Key to life is to do something you like/love even though a paycheck may not be attached to it

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #80 on: June 08, 2017, 12:03:49 PM »
here is a sentence it never thought i would say....

i think kelly hart is a really smart person.

he is one of the few skateboards who i like more after listening to them talk.  pretty sure i said it in another thread but its pretty clear kelly is listening and taking in everything.  i wouldnt be shocked if in 5-10 years hes quietly built himself an empire inside of skateboarding. I also really appreciate how he absolutely cornered clement's into a spot where all he could do was try to bullshit his way out.  I do respect Clements hustle but his inability to take honest criticism or accountability for his actions  is pretty off-putting. he seems like a nice enough person but part of me is looking forward to all the insta fallout that happens when hes caught with his hand in someone else's cookie jar or playing both sides.

after listening to this episode i think i also will be jumping on the eS train when i buy my next pair of shoes.

ADD ON: this was fucking great episode.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 12:14:08 PM by tortfeasor »
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #81 on: June 08, 2017, 12:37:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

you also gets a tax write off whenever you donate to charitable causes or do something charitable like pro bono work.  
Key to life is to do something you like/love even though a paycheck may not be attached to it

who's key? that's a personal concept... the key for me at this point is my kids. i think for a lot of family guys when you get older can't just spend all your free time selfishly on rewarding projects that don't pay. i made the switch from rewarding projects to hustling projects after having kids. raising a family is expensive. i die tomorrow, in 50 years, no one is going to care about the skateboard magazine that i spent 2 years of my life busting my ass on and never made a dime off of but got a lot of personal satisfaction from. but my kids will still give a shit about the time invested in them. different people measure value of life, legacy, meaning of life, etc... in different ways.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #82 on: June 08, 2017, 12:42:26 PM »
My favorite thing about eS, and why everyone should support them, is because they supported skateboarders by shelving the brand and told everyone who worked for them to suck their collective dick. That's why they have legends like Rick McCrank, Rodrigo TX, and Bobby Worrest.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1189
« Reply #83 on: June 08, 2017, 01:14:03 PM »
My favorite thing about eS, and why everyone should support them, is because they supported skateboarders by shelving the brand and told everyone who worked for them to suck their collective dick. That's why they have legends like Rick McCrank, Rodrigo TX, and Bobby Worrest.

hardly art, hardly starving

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
« Reply #84 on: June 08, 2017, 01:55:17 PM »
here is a sentence it never thought i would say....

i think kelly hart is a really smart person.

he is one of the few skateboards who i like more after listening to them talk.  pretty sure i said it in another thread but its pretty clear kelly is listening and taking in everything.  i wouldnt be shocked if in 5-10 years hes quietly built himself an empire inside of skateboarding. I also really appreciate how he absolutely cornered clement's into a spot where all he could do was try to bullshit his way out.  I do respect Clements hustle but his inability to take honest criticism or accountability for his actions  is pretty off-putting. he seems like a nice enough person but part of me is looking forward to all the insta fallout that happens when hes caught with his hand in someone else's cookie jar or playing both sides.

after listening to this episode i think i also will be jumping on the eS train when i buy my next pair of shoes.

ADD ON: this was fucking great episode.

It sort of reminds me of the movie Money Ball with Brad Pitt. Kelly found a unknown skater to have on a smaller team and he was sort of farmed there. That is the best when you get someone that is good who no one knows but once he blows up, other scouts will try and pick him up. It's sort of a sad reality on things. Shoe sponsors have to be the one thing that skaters are willing to break to ride for a bigger company. At least with boards, people seem more loyal there or even clothing for that matter.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 900
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #85 on: June 08, 2017, 01:59:34 PM »
Ya es has only 3 dudes on the team. If they decide to actually make a team again I may support them, but the whole year long dump they took is pretty shitty.

I still other sole tech since I have emericas and etnies currently.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #86 on: June 08, 2017, 02:11:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

you also gets a tax write off whenever you donate to charitable causes or do something charitable like pro bono work. �
[close]

who's key? that's a personal concept... the key for me at this point is my kids. i think for a lot of family guys when you get older can't just spend all your free time selfishly on rewarding projects that don't pay. i made the switch from rewarding projects to hustling projects after having kids. raising a family is expensive. i die tomorrow, in 50 years, no one is going to care about the skateboard magazine that i spent 2 years of my life busting my ass on and never made a dime off of but got a lot of personal satisfaction from. but my kids will still give a shit about the time invested in them. different people measure value of life, legacy, meaning of life, etc... in different ways.

You're talking about being responsible and doing what your supposed to do...I didn't say work for no pay, or get no compensation for your projects.... I said doing what you love doesn't always mean there is a paycheck that's attached to it ...take it how you want to but many successful business people interned for free and offered free services so they build their reputations...I get you gotta take care of your family, but once they grown you gotta evaluate what it is your willing to leave behind as your legacy.  A lot of people are a fine with working unhappily, not saying this is anyone in particular, but statistics show majority of people are mis-employed and some think its as serious as unemployment.  That is what I meant by key to life....

« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 02:12:48 PM by Abyss1 »

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1520
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
« Reply #87 on: June 08, 2017, 09:51:25 PM »
After only aidas and nike and maybe nb# are left, who are you going to negotiate with then? The skaters will loose all negotiation power since their options will be extremely limited. A guy with a shoe will be making top dollar, others not so much.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1587
« Reply #88 on: June 08, 2017, 11:07:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

you also gets a tax write off whenever you donate to charitable causes or do something charitable like pro bono work. �
[close]

[close]

You're talking about being responsible and doing what your supposed to do...I didn't say work for no pay, or get no compensation for your projects.... I said doing what you love doesn't always mean there is a paycheck that's attached to it ...take it how you want to but many successful business people interned for free and offered free services so they build their reputations...I get you gotta take care of your family, but once they grown you gotta evaluate what it is your willing to leave behind as your legacy.  A lot of people are a fine with working unhappily, not saying this is anyone in particular, but statistics show majority of people are mis-employed and some think its as serious as unemployment.  That is what I meant by key to life....

It's rad we have a lot of older guys around but don't you sometimes think skating was a lot better when pros didn't have to make adult decisions.....it wasn't about dudes doing what's best for their families?  Wasn't that term created by pro athletes? 

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #89 on: June 09, 2017, 12:16:53 AM »
After only aidas and nike and maybe nb# are left, who are you going to negotiate with then? The skaters will loose all negotiation power since their options will be extremely limited. A guy with a shoe will be making top dollar, others not so much.
Hasn't really hurt other sports markets. I mean, look at the history of eS biggest rider (or atleast one of). Koston left eS because they didn't think he was valuable enough to give a share of the company, so he went to another skater owned brand and found out they were cooking the books. Nike and Adidas will always need relevant riders for promotional reasons and will pay them well. Hell, they spend probably 100x what they spend on skating outfitting AAU teams in basketball, so the people who look up to their local high-school player think it's cool to wear their gear. Nike's taken a similar approach with skating, just look at how many people they flow.

Nike/Adidas/NB# and those shoe brands may do some very shady shit, but they will never drop riders. Their business and advertising models are built around the best of the best wearing their product across all sporting industries. Plus, Vans is going nowhere, although they are almost as corporate as everyone else.