Author Topic: Coles & Kyota -  (Read 1611 times)

benboardbreaker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 48
Coles & Kyota -
« on: September 23, 2021, 08:02:10 AM »

A little video from Quarter Snacks Youtube. These two guys reminds me of the likes of Eric Pupecki, Shamil Randle, Ben Sanchez etc. Not the best skaters trick by trick, but they look good for the eye and probably has a huge influence on the current fashionable skate trends.

When I watch mid nineties stuff I put on some of the above mentioned names. There where many better skaters trick by trick, but these guys skated with style.

Do you guys agree with my comparison?

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1145
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Coles & Kyota -
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 08:04:29 AM »
Yes
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2021, 08:05:38 AM »
yes i agree

i've been following these kids for awhile now, have some mutual friends on the periphery and used to see them skating around NY when i was a lil grom. This part is really fucking good and the growth into their own distinct styles and personalities over the past couple of years has been super cool to see. While this isn't everybody's cup of tea, there certainly is a reason these two get so much love

hope Alltimers puts both of em and Elijah Odom fully on.

#switchgod

• Rep: -98
  • One love.
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 08:28:18 AM »
These two guys reminds me of the likes of Eric Pupecki, Shamil Randle, Ben Sanchez etc. Not the best skaters trick by trick, but they look good for the eye and probably has a huge influence on the current fashionable skate trends.

I always liked Pupecki's front Willy grinds at EMB and the switchflips down 3 where it looked like Shamil was going to die. Totally apt comparison.  ???

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 335
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2021, 08:35:47 AM »
yes i agree

i've been following these kids for awhile now, have some mutual friends on the periphery and used to see them skating around NY when i was a lil grom. This part is really fucking good and the growth into their own distinct styles and personalities over the past couple of years has been super cool to see. While this isn't everybody's cup of tea, there certainly is a reason these two get so much love

I think Elijah is on - https://www.alltimers.com/pages/league

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2021, 08:36:48 AM »
Expand Quote
yes i agree

[close]
hell yeah

slappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1224
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2021, 08:58:16 AM »
I liked this for the most part, but as far as willy grinds go you can't capture lightning in a bottle twice. The one Kyota did at the ledge he noseslides in this was kind of sick, but we don't need anymore. I find Coles trick selection less egregious and like watching him skate. His backlip around the corner and handrail stuff at the end were pretty great.
CRACK RAIDER RAZOR

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2021, 09:17:06 AM »
Frog losing them really was a huge L

bluntfullofmid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 0
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2021, 09:36:08 AM »
Expand Quote
yes i agree

[close]

Im pretty sure that Sully Cormier listed on the roster but i was under the impression he was about to get hooked up from Baker
"yall act like abusin' women is so bad."
- Crailtap

bongboarder420

• Rep: 60
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2021, 10:22:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
yes i agree

[close]

[close]

Im pretty sure that Sully Cormier listed on the roster but i was under the impression he was about to get hooked up from Baker

i think that’s Salomon Cardenas listed as Sully

zozu

• Rep: 122
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2021, 03:32:29 AM »
theres something really endearing about Coles skating, both of them have really grown into their styles recently.

crucify me but I thought the willy-crook-fakie was a cool combo

kilgoret

• Rep: -35
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2021, 05:24:23 AM »
i prefer human type ability skating but these two ain't it. mentioning pupecki and shamil is blasphemous tbh.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 06:11:48 AM by kilgoret »

benboardbreaker

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2021, 05:40:56 AM »
i prefer human type ability skating but these two ain't it. mentioning pupecki and shamile is blasphemous tbh.

I hear what you say. My comparison is not in the sense of how they skate - They skate very different from these guys in the mid nineties. My argument is that both the mid nineties guys and these new breed skaters wasn't the best of the best, but they had style and tapped in or influenced the new wave of skating. They had a big influence on skating and it seems like these two guys and others have the same impact on skating now a days. If you go to a skate spot and see the young guys how they want to skate and dress  etc. they want to look like these dudes.

I still wear my Polo gear and baggy clothing, fitted hats because of the old dudes mentioned here. Influence.

banksandledges

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2021, 10:13:04 AM »
Not sure we're watching the same video.  In terms of style one kid looked like wee-man and the other like the Tinman. I get these kids are influential in the NYC skate scene but it's more from their energy and being skate rats.  Sorry but when you mention Pupecki and Shamile along with these two you're going to lose the audience a little, or at least myself.  I think your point is better suited for strictly the influence they may have in a fashion sense. 

benboardbreaker

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2021, 11:04:39 AM »
Not sure we're watching the same video.  In terms of style one kid looked like wee-man and the other like the Tinman. I get these kids are influential in the NYC skate scene but it's more from their energy and being skate rats.  Sorry but when you mention Pupecki and Shamile along with these two you're going to lose the audience a little, or at least myself.  I think your point is better suited for strictly the influence they may have in a fashion sense.

I think you missed what I wrote. I don't compare their skate style. I compare that both of these group of dudes wasn't the best skaters in their time, but their way of skating and carrying them self has a great impact on skate culture. If you go to a skatepark and watch the kids that are popular at the moment way younger then us, then this style that these guys have is the shit right now. It was the same with Pupecki and Shamile etc. back then. I remember where I grew up the older skaters thought that these skaters wasn't good enough to be pro. But I loved them.

Feel free to disagree. It was just a thought that I had about the similarity from back then.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 11:12:06 AM by benboardbreaker »

fuckingawesomesauce

• Rep: 11
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2021, 11:20:03 AM »
Kyota good Willy grind bad 

TD

• Rep: -2
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2021, 05:32:33 AM »
I agree; they both have a style that I just enjoy watching. I really dig how much Kyota has grown into his skating over the past few years. (in my head) it sucks that he's not on frog anymore, but I think he's doing cooler shit than frog anyway

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 317
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2021, 06:58:24 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think you missed what I wrote. I don't compare their skate style. I compare that both of these group of dudes wasn't the best skaters in their time, but their way of skating and carrying them self has a great impact on skate culture. If you go to a skatepark and watch the kids that are popular at the moment way younger then us, then this style that these guys have is the shit right now. It was the same with Pupecki and Shamile etc. back then. I remember where I grew up the older skaters thought that these skaters wasn't good enough to be pro. But I loved them.

Feel free to disagree. It was just a thought that I had about the similarity from back then.
Fool here comparing current trendy kids to Eric Pupecki.

keepthefunkalive

• Rep: 130
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2021, 08:31:15 AM »
That nollie back heel was definitely worthy of the slo mo. Got damn. William grinds seem to be gaining in popularity for some reason. That's the second edit I've seen in like a week with that trick. Definitely not hating on it, but I'm not pumped either.

Sluggloaph

• Rep: 25
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2021, 08:55:38 AM »
Kyotas parts always make me wanna skate and there always like sum thing different, like the Billy grinds or that one part where he dropped in on the basketball ball net jawns. So sick. Other boul also was rad with the rails and blindside flippage
Whoa. Danger.

GuessAgain?

• Rep: 57
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2021, 11:22:51 AM »
Is Kyota a short king? His feet looking pretty tiny on that set up, I like it though, seems too give his skating a really different look. I didn't know these guys got down on handrails like that too.

I'm a baggy pants kinda guy but the thought of them dragging on the floor or getting caught under my feet while skating is anxiety inducing for me, these guys style it out and don't give a fuck though which is pretty sick.