Author Topic: Oh Dill...  (Read 27296 times)

somethingmustbreaknow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
Re: Oh Dill...
« Reply #120 on: December 19, 2016, 12:13:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

it's a gimmick, in the way that putting neat pictures and words on the bottom of your skateboard so people will buy it is a gimmick.

it is not a gimmick, in that it's a genuine representation of this person's (Dill) esthetic and artistic sensibilities.

Sure it's kind of trashy, but we're not in wet willy territory here
[close]

Not to be combative, but I think using tragedy as an opportunity to make one's self look interesting and hip while simultaneously making money off said tragedy/personality marketing campaign is WAY more trashy than some sad cartoon graphic meant to appeal to seven year olds at Walmart.
[close]

I was referring to Dill's artistic sense as being trashier/more disposable in nature than McKee's: underexposed selfie vs. skillfully drawn and coloured illustration.
The comparison I was trying to make, was about marketing. Wet Willy seemed clearly to be the result of trying to sell boards to as many kids as possible, regardless of whether they skated. With this Dill graphic, of course he hopes it sells, but it seems in line with FA overall artistic direction, rather than being a market-researched grab at mainstream success. I just don't think any focus group would tell you that kids are wanting this in their stockings. Impeccable fuschnikens reference btw

[close]

That makes sense. Thanks for not being offended at my response botefdunn. Definitely wasn't trying to come for you. Now I am though...to give you a HUGE CHRISTMAS HUG!!!
[close]

you're Slap soty every year in my book gay, don't even know how you walk that line, but you look good doing it. Merry christmas to you too!!
[close]

Starting my day singing/dancing this in the mirror is one of my tricks:
Right Said Fred - I'm Too Sexy (Original Mix - 2006 Version)
^ are they gay?

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 736
« Reply #121 on: December 19, 2016, 12:34:05 PM »
not sure if you're referring to our banter, or Fred, or the beefcake pretending to play bass. Given the context, I'm going with yes.

especially the part about christmas!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 12:40:36 PM by botefdunn »

bo golden

« Reply #122 on: December 20, 2016, 12:16:02 PM »
That Dill / 9-11 meme had me rolling on the floor.  Good one whoever came up with that!

Did the Natas 101 "Challenger" graphic cause any controversy? I remember when that came out and I was like, "Whoa!", but I still wanted it.

TEMP-GNAR

« Reply #123 on: December 20, 2016, 12:19:56 PM »
ISUCK dropped a bin laden graphic the day after 9/11

Harem

« Reply #124 on: December 20, 2016, 01:21:55 PM »
If you've got Strobeck on Instagram, watch his live Q&A w Dill that's happening right now.

BacksideWallride

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -24
« Reply #125 on: December 20, 2016, 03:52:13 PM »
Post 101 Dill can get fucked. The audacity of this kook is off the charts. I couldn't believe he said Khaki was upriver/stream whatever when he's friends with Ozzy fucking Osbourne and modeling shoots with uncle pedophile Terry. The love he's getting for that horrid 9/11 board reflects how out of touch kids are with reality these days.

Fuck you Dill, I know you love yourself enough to scour these boards. At least I know you will see this.

Worldstar.

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #126 on: December 20, 2016, 05:52:37 PM »

shitsandwich

• Rep: -53
« Reply #127 on: December 20, 2016, 07:05:57 PM »
If you've got Strobeck on Instagram, watch his live Q&A w Dill that's happening right now.

Did anything interesting get answered?

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 108
« Reply #128 on: December 20, 2016, 08:13:39 PM »
Expand Quote

it's a gimmick, in the way that putting neat pictures and words on the bottom of your skateboard so people will buy it is a gimmick.

it is not a gimmick, in that it's a genuine representation of this person's (Dill) esthetic and artistic sensibilities.

[close]

Not to be combative, but I think using tragedy as an opportunity to make one's self look interesting and hip while simultaneously making money off said tragedy/personality marketing campaign is WAY more trashy than some sad cartoon graphic meant to appeal to seven year olds at Walmart.

Is it any worse than the people who made movies reenacting the events for profit? Or the companies that make and profit off all the 'Never Forget' merchandise? Except they're legitimately preying on tragedy and marketing directly to people who are emotionally effected. Dill is just selling shock value to skateboarders and people that wish they skated.

stabbedbywiggers

« Reply #129 on: December 20, 2016, 08:22:14 PM »
man this shit isnt even shock value, its just a picture

doublesteveburger

« Reply #130 on: December 20, 2016, 09:32:45 PM »
man this shit isnt even shock value, its just a picture

I know it's pretty shocking

BacksideWallride

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -24
« Reply #131 on: December 21, 2016, 05:41:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Is it any worse than the people who made movies reenacting the events for profit? Or the companies that make and profit off all the 'Never Forget' merchandise? Except they're legitimately preying on tragedy and marketing directly to people who are emotionally effected. Dill is just selling shock value to skateboarders and people that wish they skated.

No it's not worse. It's the same. When I saw those "Let's Roll" t-shirts days after I thought the profits better fucking be going to the families, though I doubt they did. They went into some non-skating Dillweed's pockets.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 535
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #132 on: December 22, 2016, 08:18:40 AM »
Dill will get the last word in when he says, "I wanted to start a dialogue. It was MEANT to be controversial."

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #133 on: December 22, 2016, 08:32:35 AM »
I remember when Gabe Rodriguez had the Jesus graphic opposite Natas' Satan one and his mom got really upset when he skated it b/c it was blasphemous to  desecrate a depiction of Jesus like that. 

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 99
« Reply #134 on: December 22, 2016, 08:53:46 AM »

i still have that board in the shrink wrap.
"See you are like Mark David Chapman and my posts are John Lennon. You having nothing to offer so the best you can do is try to assassinate my beautiful posts. My Dental Plan is Strawberry fields and you are a sexually frustrated fat man."  ---NigNogNooo---

Cuban_Lynx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1432
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #135 on: December 22, 2016, 08:55:39 AM »
Adrian Lopez's Bin Laden deck is a completely different story.

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #136 on: December 22, 2016, 10:17:13 AM »
I remember when Gabe Rodriguez had the Jesus graphic opposite Natas' Satan one and his mom got really upset when he skated it b/c it was blasphemous to  desecrate a depiction of Jesus like that. 
people will find a way to get butthurt over anything.

I.C. Weiner

• Rep: -7
« Reply #137 on: December 22, 2016, 10:44:40 AM »
How is this any different from an episode of South Park or  something when they joke about horrible things within the year of them happening yet we all laugh and think its breaking taboos but everyone gets pissy over this and this isn't making a joke, its just two images.

I'm not even American and still see 9/11 memes everywhere, it's prime bait for edgy humour. But this isn't a tasteless joke, it's just two separate pictures of the towers. The only argument against the board I have is that they're monetising off tragedy, but that's nothing new...

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #138 on: December 22, 2016, 01:11:33 PM »
Jason dill is trying too hard to be unique. we get it, you are edgy and cool. you have force fed it to us since you  photo part, I never bought it.
I stopped paying attention to dill after the aws section in  411...1998

eastcoaster

• Rep: -41
« Reply #139 on: December 22, 2016, 01:39:25 PM »
It was an inside job /thread

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • Free Max B
« Reply #140 on: December 22, 2016, 03:49:24 PM »
dill probably smoked mad crilz that day so if anything he is exploiting the fact and making money off being a crackhead...still. free max b
FREE MAX B

violentpizza

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
  • pregnant pussy
« Reply #141 on: December 22, 2016, 04:18:53 PM »
5 page thread. Mostly posts from people who don't care about this guy or company. Lol. I think it's cool as fuck but I wouldn't buy it.

French manicure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 286
« Reply #142 on: December 22, 2016, 04:55:51 PM »
5 page thread. Mostly posts from people who don't care about this guy or company. Lol. I think it's cool as fuck but I wouldn't buy it.

Its got nothing on those Pops threads that would get like 20 pages for a sequence of him doing an ollie.

violentpizza

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
  • pregnant pussy
« Reply #143 on: December 22, 2016, 06:15:37 PM »
Those got really dark, really quick and stayed that way for a looooongtime

scaryghoul

• Rep: -8
« Reply #144 on: December 22, 2016, 07:11:23 PM »
Those got really dark, really quick and stayed that way for a looooongtime

Any chance these threads still exist?

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -626
  • who knows
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #145 on: December 22, 2016, 07:21:31 PM »
where is home?

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #146 on: December 23, 2016, 04:14:46 AM »

Slappydarkslide

« Reply #147 on: December 23, 2016, 06:36:21 AM »
I'm not the biggest Dill fan, and I understand why people think he's a kook.  But there's a difference.  All interviews and footage are sought after, he's not putting that shit out himself.  As far as the board, there's nothing offensive about it.  That pic of him and the towers is 15 years old, I'm surprised it took him this long to put it on a board, I knew it was inevitable.  All things aside, that day was fucked up.  I was in the north east at that time and I thought the world was ending...

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #148 on: December 23, 2016, 07:52:16 AM »
I don't think people find it offensive, they just see it as  a kook who is trying to hard, like I immediately think of tom green sucking a cows utter on family guy when I see this shock value shit.

dill jumped the shark yeas ago. (the shark was the fire hydrant in that etnies ad)

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #149 on: December 23, 2016, 07:54:14 PM »

true that x10