Author Topic: Mob Griptape - any issues?  (Read 12985 times)

moonordie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Mob Griptape - any issues?
« Reply #90 on: August 03, 2019, 09:38:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Local shop owner said he’s laid quite a few sheets of that new plain black Grizzly (without the bear or font) on a few kids’ boards and has never had a sheet of grip apply so easily without bubbles and slice like butter. He’s been in business for decades and has probably gripped thousands of boards, so that says something. Think I’ll try that next if there’s no black magic available. He did mention it costing way too much for a sheet but at this point I’m willing to pay the extra.

Also, that crease pictured above is exactly what I was talking about ^
[close]

This is now like the third time I've heard this. I'd be willing to give the plain a go. I've read that it's in between Jessup and Mob as far as grip, but how does it last?

Tried it recently, is exactly a happy medium between Mob and Jessup. It lasted the same as Mob in my experience
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #91 on: August 03, 2019, 11:53:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Local shop owner said he’s laid quite a few sheets of that new plain black Grizzly (without the bear or font) on a few kids’ boards and has never had a sheet of grip apply so easily without bubbles and slice like butter. He’s been in business for decades and has probably gripped thousands of boards, so that says something. Think I’ll try that next if there’s no black magic available. He did mention it costing way too much for a sheet but at this point I’m willing to pay the extra.

Also, that crease pictured above is exactly what I was talking about ^
[close]

This is now like the third time I've heard this. I'd be willing to give the plain a go. I've read that it's in between Jessup and Mob as far as grip, but how does it last?
[close]

Tried it recently, is exactly a happy medium between Mob and Jessup. It lasted the same as Mob in my experience

Much appreciated.

ohthembones

« Reply #92 on: November 14, 2019, 02:20:03 PM »
I just got what I consider to be my third dud sheet in a row. The first two had small rectangular areas with no visible adhesive and my latest sheet isn't perforated anywhere other than the backing sheet. I always put grip down like I'm expecting it could air bubble but wow! Mob with no perforations with as thin and rigid as it's gotten is a nightmare to put down on something with steep concave. First time since I was a kid just learning to grip that I've had to poke numerous holes in grip to get the air bubbles out. The bad thing about MOB is they're really hard to see but you can hear them when rolling a wheel over it or smoothing it out with the backing sheet.

I think I'm going back to Iron Horse, which even without perforations was so easy to apply! I may give that new Jessup a try too.

Diocletian

« Reply #93 on: November 15, 2019, 07:22:20 AM »
Mob is garbage. The lay, the creasing, the air bubbles, the slicing. Everything. It makes gripping a board stressful when it should be relaxing. Jessup forever.

Skart

• Rep: -33
  • Ham control
« Reply #94 on: November 15, 2019, 09:41:58 AM »
Tripping on how many people have issues with mob

I can grip eyes closed no issues but never had it sub 45°F on grip day

Mob M80 is nice
i need a break from this thread dawg. knowledge doesnt feel like power anymore

Smartass

• Rep: 46
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #95 on: November 15, 2019, 10:56:10 AM »
I think I'm going back to Iron Horse, which even without perforations was so easy to apply! I may give that new Jessup a try too.

Please don't do that to yourself. Give the new Jessup a try, from my limited experience with it, it reminds me of Black Magic. 

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #96 on: November 15, 2019, 12:40:39 PM »

Mob M80 is nice

The struggle is real. When grip goes bad in the fall/winter (in Canada) it's a cascade of shit.

M80 is more than fine. But seriously, fuck die-cuts in any and all forms.

sneakpeekmeek

• Rep: 2
« Reply #97 on: November 15, 2019, 01:33:51 PM »
Expand Quote

Mob M80 is nice
[close]

The struggle is real. When grip goes bad in the fall/winter (in Canada) it's a cascade of shit.

Last couple sheets of M80 I've used didn't have any die-cuts

Diocletian

« Reply #98 on: November 15, 2019, 02:30:39 PM »
One time I had Mob m80, it wasn’t as horrible as regular mob, but the freshly gripped board only sat in my room overnight, and when I went to set it up the next day and noticed the adhesive somehow just dissolved. Peeled the entire sheet off in one clean motion. Fool me once, fool me twice...back to Jessup.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #99 on: November 15, 2019, 02:51:52 PM »
Expand Quote

Mob M80 is nice
[close]

I’ll leave the grip near a heat vent or in my kitchen when I’m cooking when it’s cold to try and get it warmer. I’m not sure if this helps but now it’s habit.

ohthembones

« Reply #100 on: November 15, 2019, 05:04:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Please don't do that to yourself. Give the new Jessup a try, from my limited experience with it, it reminds me of Black Magic.

If it shows up here at my one proper skate shop in Okinawa I'll give it a try. I won't order grip from the US anymore as it never seems to arrive in decent shape.

ohthembones

« Reply #101 on: November 15, 2019, 05:12:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Mob M80 is nice
[close]

[close]

I’ll leave the grip near a heat vent or in my kitchen when I’m cooking when it’s cold to try and get it warmer. I’m not sure if this helps but now it’s habit.

Fortunately I don't have to deal with winter dryness here in Okinawa. I can only imagine how much harder that makes for storing and applying grip. It's really ideal conditions here for grip. I think MOB is just having quality control issues. I've also noticed a difference in how thin/rigid some sheets are compared to others.

Is MOB M-80 any thicker or more pliable? Right now I think the one shop here has MOB, MOB M-80 and Shake Junt. Next trip I'll take a look at the M-80.

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions!

Lashes2ashes

• Rep: 7
« Reply #102 on: November 16, 2019, 06:07:14 PM »
Strange all the issues people are having with mob, been skating again six months after stoping fifteen years ago, both of my decks in that time have mob grip. Never had any air bubbles and even though my last sheet had a crease in it you can’t tell once I gripped my board. Also not like I’m great at gripping a board, only done it like ten times in my whole life lol.