Author Topic: AWS NORMALIZE 4/24/2024  (Read 6148 times)

Mandatory Reload

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 79
Re: AWS NORMALIZE 4/24
« Reply #90 on: April 25, 2024, 07:37:09 AM »
Sammy Montano came though with a good part, but the rest was kind of a let down. All the dudes I cared most about had like one clip, Yaje had some nice stuff. Then the rest was like 10 new kids I don’t care about. Sammy saved the last 5 minutes or so. Why do companies put on so many fucking people and bloat the fuck outta their rosters?? Like focus on the core group of stylish skaters who’ve been with the brand for a while. Nope instead let’s focus on a buncha new faces you’ve never heard of.

Yeah I think this was really the problem with the video and it was exacerbated by putting the "established guys" montage first. Baker (and lots of other companies) do this same format all the time: 2-3 full parts, often from somewhat newer up and coming guys, and a montage of the rest of the team in the middle. They present it as a video focused on the 2 full parts, and it's a treat that you get clips from the rest of the team in the middle. That's essentially what this was, 2 full parts from Zach and Sammy, with a montage from the rest of the team with a handful of clips each, except they presented it as a full length and put the montage first. Should've been branded as a Zach and Sammy video, Zach opens the video, montage in the middle, Sammy closer. Boom everyone's happy, no one's disappointed. Maybe they thought they couldn't get people to watch a "Zach and Sammy" video without promising clips from the established guys.

that being said, i liked the edit otherwise, and the skating was great. Alien does have a pretty solid team with at least 5 or 6 skaters that I find genuinely exciting (Joey O'Brien my king my lord), if they can get the branding and vibe together they could have a pretty solid program going over there.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #91 on: April 25, 2024, 08:32:49 AM »
I prefer Bunker Down but like Joey O’Brian. They went from Paul Lilani to these new ams that will be gone in a few years anyways. Granted Paul did leave on his own but none of these new guys have the “it” factor.

D10S

• Rep: -53
  • la patineta no se mancha
« Reply #92 on: April 25, 2024, 08:37:28 AM »
Sammy held it down! It's been great to see him rise from am to top pro at AWS. Trick selection was on point, and I second that 90s vibe to his kit/style that someone mentioned. His best part so far?

ToySanta

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 114
« Reply #93 on: April 25, 2024, 09:39:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Sammy Montano came though with a good part, but the rest was kind of a let down. All the dudes I cared most about had like one clip, Yaje had some nice stuff. Then the rest was like 10 new kids I don’t care about. Sammy saved the last 5 minutes or so. Why do companies put on so many fucking people and bloat the fuck outta their rosters?? Like focus on the core group of stylish skaters who’ve been with the brand for a while. Nope instead let’s focus on a buncha new faces you’ve never heard of.
[close]

Yeah I think this was really the problem with the video and it was exacerbated by putting the "established guys" montage first. Baker (and lots of other companies) do this same format all the time: 2-3 full parts, often from somewhat newer up and coming guys, and a montage of the rest of the team in the middle. They present it as a video focused on the 2 full parts, and it's a treat that you get clips from the rest of the team in the middle. That's essentially what this was, 2 full parts from Zach and Sammy, with a montage from the rest of the team with a handful of clips each, except they presented it as a full length and put the montage first. Should've been branded as a Zach and Sammy video, Zach opens the video, montage in the middle, Sammy closer. Boom everyone's happy, no one's disappointed. Maybe they thought they couldn't get people to watch a "Zach and Sammy" video without promising clips from the established guys.

that being said, i liked the edit otherwise, and the skating was great. Alien does have a pretty solid team with at least 5 or 6 skaters that I find genuinely exciting (Joey O'Brien my king my lord), if they can get the branding and vibe together they could have a pretty solid program going over there.

Great points all around. Even before Baker was doing it with regularity DGK did Blood Money with Boo & Marquise, and you could go back to Tim & Henry’s Pack of Lies. Alien just needs the faith & the insight, maybe.

BreakfastSandwich

• Rep: 1
« Reply #94 on: April 25, 2024, 09:47:46 AM »

I wanted more from some of the other guys.

I really liked Sammy’s part. Looks like Joey is going to destroy the internet with a solo part. I agree with the idea of separating this from previous Alien teams. If viewed with Mindfield and Photo as a backdrop, it doesn’t compare. However if I remove those previous videos and just watch this one, I really enjoy it. 

I actually really like that Thrasher collab video the most of the new Alien. I watch it all the time. Glad Alien is still going.

CarcassToss

• Rep: 24
« Reply #95 on: April 25, 2024, 09:50:31 AM »
If Don still occasionally did art and some of the Darkroom guys were on Alien with a bit of the am fat trimmed it would probably be a much more solid, well-rounded, Midwest-centric iteration of the brand. Sorta feels like a "we have Quasi at home" kinda vibe. I know I previously said I liked a lot of the recent footage, but as a full length I ended up feeling pretty mixed about that statement.

McBrandt

• Rep: -14
« Reply #96 on: April 25, 2024, 09:58:55 AM »
I was gonna use that Gwar song for my homie video 11 years ago but the homies weren't having it, so I never did. I always thought it'd be good for a skate video, but that said I don't think it fit Sammy's part at all. Oh well.

backspinflip

• Rep: -33
« Reply #97 on: April 25, 2024, 10:50:52 AM »
Sammy Montano's part was nice but such a shit song to end it with. I'm not talking about the jam session during credits, that's wasn't super either, but it still would have been better than Sammy's last song.

I will say it was a good call showing that noseslide to wall ride twice. it's an insane trick and I was so distracted by how shit the song was I sort of missed it the first time around

What's up with filming that old bitch for like 10s too? No respect for the elderly

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
« Reply #98 on: April 25, 2024, 11:14:36 AM »
Sammy Montano's part was nice but such a shit song to end it with. I'm not talking about the jam session during credits, that's wasn't super either, but it still would have been better than Sammy's last song.

I will say it was a good call showing that noseslide to wall ride twice. it's an insane trick and I was so distracted by how shit the song was I sort of missed it the first time around

What's up with filming that old bitch for like 10s too? No respect for the elderly

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #99 on: April 25, 2024, 11:28:18 AM »
If Don still occasionally did art and some of the Darkroom guys were on Alien with a bit of the am fat trimmed it would probably be a much more solid, well-rounded, Midwest-centric iteration of the brand. Sorta feels like a "we have Quasi at home" kinda vibe. I know I previously said I liked a lot of the recent footage, but as a full length I ended up feeling pretty mixed about that statement.

yeah, if they got those dudes and Dave Ackles and crew they would be in a good spot. Maybe the time has passed for that.

douchenozzle

• Rep: 32
  • "I am the party"-DLR
« Reply #100 on: April 25, 2024, 12:07:48 PM »
I prefer Bunker Down but like Joey O’Brian. They went from Paul Lilani to these new ams that will be gone in a few years anyways. Granted Paul did leave on his own but none of these new guys have the “it” factor.
Really? Zach Mcbride and stuff from Felipe Munhoz in this and other stuff doesnt do anything for you? Dumb take

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1244
« Reply #101 on: April 25, 2024, 12:16:15 PM »
edit murdered by the music for me

also maybe not the best look to put two goofy footers from philly b2b

good skating though

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1159
  • old and in the way
Re: AWS NORMALIZE 4/24/2024
« Reply #102 on: April 25, 2024, 12:45:26 PM »
That edit took some really good skating and turned it into throwaway.

lulz

• Rep: 52
« Reply #103 on: April 25, 2024, 12:48:18 PM »
should just wait til the official Alien day on 4/26

nvrmnd. 

Can we get this on page one, please?)
Well, not like this, but where the video is watchable…. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Shortys Hardware

• Rep: 110
« Reply #104 on: April 25, 2024, 01:12:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Great points all around. Even before Baker was doing it with regularity DGK did Blood Money with Boo & Marquise, and you could go back to Tim & Henry’s Pack of Lies. Alien just needs the faith & the insight, maybe.

Might be a interesting thread idea...me and my friends call it the tim & henrys formula for these types of modern videos. would be cool to get a list going of all these types of videos. I think it was jamie thomas who bought it back with the zero promo in 2006, 2 new pro parts, 2 montages, straight to the internet.

Is this even alien 2.0? half the team that was is in bunker down are gone

Coffee

• Rep: 40
« Reply #105 on: April 25, 2024, 01:22:33 PM »
Not bad but wish JOB had more than one trick. Also the music sucked but the skating and the visuals where really good.

RoughStylin

• Rep: 33
« Reply #106 on: April 25, 2024, 05:48:58 PM »
I ain’t an alien video without Dyrdek. I don’t make the rules.

Local skater

• Rep: -28
« Reply #107 on: April 26, 2024, 03:28:16 AM »
That Felipe guy did not fit in at all imo

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #108 on: April 26, 2024, 08:34:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Good flick.

That opening song is one of my favorite songs. Idk what it's from tho.

Check it in check it out or whatever. I'm pretty sure it's from an old tv show
[close]

That first song is known as the “Most Mysterious Song on the Internet,” as its name and artist have not been able to be identified. There’s a whole community actively trying to find out who made it, and - as a fan of the mystery - I can’t recall any theories of it being in an old TV show. Maybe you’re just theorizing (it’s fine, the song sounds familiar to a lot of us) but if you really feel like you remember it being on a show, you should share your experience on the Subreddit, r/TheMysteriousSong. The case has grown cold as of late and any new lead is a good lead.

That's crazy. Lol
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

231st Street

• Rep: -203
« Reply #109 on: May 01, 2024, 10:06:19 AM »
Have watched 4-6 times.