Author Topic: Guitar Thread  (Read 20285 times)

Brguy

Re: Guitar Thread
« Reply #180 on: March 27, 2022, 10:25:47 AM »
Expand Quote
My E string saddle broke as I was going to change strings, I was checking the block behind the strat and it just fell off, now when I put it back on the spring just spits it out of the screw (I find it's actually kinda funny). At least I didn't open the new strings package before it happened, gotta wait until next week to get the new ones.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
You guys got any tips for taking it up to the next level? I've always been a very rudimentary player, mostly strumming, not much scale work at all but I'm trying to get sharper and get a band of the ground
[close]
To me for theory and chord/scale/arpeggio stuff, books and exercises over and over are the only way...
Youtube videos and online lessons bring too much scatter to the process. Nice to change your ideas some times though
[close]

Maybe a mix of theory reading, YT lessons involving scales and triads, and learning real songs that apply the techniques you're trying to learn.

What kind of style are you aiming for?
[close]
Youtube is only good if you want some concepts to get into your head of to look at specific exercises, otherwise it's theory books and time to memorize/apply those things you learned. I'm currently not practicing this pdf I got here which has a pretty good foundation, it starts on basic concepts, moves on to a shit ton of chords, inversions, 7ths and all that jazz and then it goes to scales and arpeggios, no YT lesson will give you that much structure, hell, sometimes not even a teacher will.
[close]

What is it?
I played in punk/crust bands for years and just picked up guitar again. Want to get deeper into learning this time
Acordes, Arpejos e Escalas - Nelson Faria. As you can see, it's a brazilian book so it might not be ideal in this case, although if you know the basics about tablatures and chord notations the info is still there with standard nomenclature, (letters for notes, b and #, m for minor, etc). But if you want I figure you could easily find something in english with the same content, just try to look for something that has a very general theme, nothing like "buy this and shred a lot", something that looks like it's focused on theory and that approaches both acoustic and electric the same way.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #181 on: March 27, 2022, 10:37:23 AM »
flea, just pull the tubes and buy the same ones
[
Expand Quote
^^ This, but that being said…

Looks like four 6L6 tubes and 3 12AX7 preamp tubes
[close]

Werd. Thanks
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

rukes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 217
  • Yabba dabba doo
« Reply #182 on: March 27, 2022, 03:32:11 PM »
Do you always have to pull both pre and power though?

I could be completely wrong here because it's been years since I was really into guitar and amp stuff, but maybe the pre's are ok and the power tubes just need replacing? Could save our pal some $$$?

Or else tubes are cheap these days and it's better just ripping them all out and starting afresh?
Is it true?  Or did you read it on the slap message board?

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 993
« Reply #183 on: March 27, 2022, 03:36:49 PM »
pre tubes rarely need replacement as far as i know. my bass head has had the same 3 12ax7 for like 15 years and it's fine. they don't handle large power loads and are not subject to the kind of wear and tear that power tubes are.

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 52
« Reply #184 on: March 27, 2022, 05:04:25 PM »
Good point about the preamp tubes.

On the amp tip i got pretty lucky this month... ended up getting a silverface champ for free. Ordered it on reverb and UPS lost the package. I was refunded and then it showed up on my door two weeks later lol.

Also for the dude asking about music theory, check out the berklee guitar method book. You can find a pdf pretty easily. A couple of my friends who went to berklee also gave me folders of guitar and theory lesson materials, i could upload them for you

Uh Oh

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 369
« Reply #185 on: March 27, 2022, 05:35:53 PM »
^ Unreal luck. Go play the lotto.

Yes, you all are right. I just tried to call out what I saw in the head. If the signal is low or not there at all, the preamp tubes could be bad.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1420
« Reply #186 on: March 27, 2022, 05:59:26 PM »

On the amp tip i got pretty lucky this month... ended up getting a silverface champ for free. Ordered it on reverb and UPS lost the package. I was refunded and then it showed up on my door two weeks later lol.

Also for the dude asking about music theory, check out the berklee guitar method book. You can find a pdf pretty easily. A couple of my friends who went to berklee also gave me folders of guitar and theory lesson materials, i could upload them for you

Please do

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
« Reply #187 on: March 27, 2022, 06:50:06 PM »

how are you liking the champ? ive been eyeing one...

Andmoreagain

« Reply #188 on: March 27, 2022, 07:52:44 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I like it a lot. Very nice for apartment playing. I was pleasantly surprised by how late it breaks up w/ single coils. The humbuckers start crunching up around 6 though.

@DaleSr

https://we.tl/t-8LfqMyRRaw

Lmk if this works. Its not in any order and I'm not really sure what's in there but there's some useful stuff for sure.

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 672
« Reply #189 on: March 28, 2022, 05:41:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
I like it a lot. Very nice for apartment playing. I was pleasantly surprised by how late it breaks up w/ single coils. The humbuckers start crunching up around 6 though.
@DaleSr
https://we.tl/t-8LfqMyRRaw
Lmk if this works. Its not in any order and I'm not really sure what's in there but there's some useful stuff for sure.
Cheers

I wanted to learn jazz so I started with Mikey Baker's book. Took me about a year to go through everything.
https://www.amazon.ca/-/fr/Mickey-Baker/dp/0825652804
Sounds very 50s but gives a solid foundation for "jazz" chords and the basic principles of moving shapes around.

SchizophrenicFatBoy

« Reply #190 on: March 29, 2022, 11:58:16 AM »
I'm adding a Blues Driver, Fuzzface Mini and Metal Zone to my signal chain. Does it matter what order they go in, since they're all gain pedals? I would like for the Fuzzface Mini to be at the end of it, because I'm getting an expression pedal that I want to use for both the Fuzzface and the Space Echo-RE202, which is a delay/reverb pedal. At the moment, I just have a Dunlop wah pedal and Ernie Ball overdrive.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #191 on: March 29, 2022, 02:54:19 PM »
I'm adding a Blues Driver, Fuzzface Mini and Metal Zone to my signal chain. Does it matter what order they go in, since they're all gain pedals? I would like for the Fuzzface Mini to be at the end of it, because I'm getting an expression pedal that I want to use for both the Fuzzface and the Space Echo-RE202, which is a delay/reverb pedal. At the moment, I just have a Dunlop wah pedal and Ernie Ball overdrive.

I would run the metal zone then the driver. Idk about the fuzz face I’ve not had one yet.

(A)pl(E)

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #192 on: March 30, 2022, 08:56:59 AM »
I can’t speak directly to the mini, but the fuzz face circuit is known for not liking stuff in front of it due to low input impedance. Google “fuzz face input impedance” for more info.

Brguy

« Reply #193 on: March 30, 2022, 02:18:26 PM »
Got the saddles, but the screw didn't go in one of them, cheap shit, at least one of my old ones was still pretty new looking. I think the strings might even be lower, at least they feel like they have less tension now.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #194 on: March 31, 2022, 07:17:54 AM »

I would go fuzz face > wah > blues driver > metal zone > space echo.

I don't think you'll be able to use an expression pedal with any of those dirt pedals. Fuzz faces are famous for cleaning up when you turn the guitars volume knob down, so I'd give that some practice.

I also don't know what ernie ball overdrive you have, but honestly you should be fine with those other three dirt pedals. I wouldn't worry about trying to get everything you have chained up all the time.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #195 on: March 31, 2022, 04:59:04 PM »
I was wondering and I might have asked before but why would someone put the pickup out of parallel? I didn’t notice until after I put strings on it but lits hella firm too. The pickup don’t wiggle or anything. It sounds good but is there a reason to likely bend it into that position?
(A)pl(E)

beandemon

« Reply #196 on: March 31, 2022, 06:53:00 PM »
I was wondering and I might have asked before but why would someone put the pickup out of parallel? I didn’t notice until after I put strings on it but lits hella firm too. The pickup don’t wiggle or anything. It sounds good but is there a reason to likely bend it into that position?

You mean angled like a fender bridge pickup or just not lined up square with the strings?  If angled like pretty strat/tele bridge, the theory is the closer to the bridge, the “tighter” and closer to the neck is bassier,  so lower lows and higher highs. If it’s angled the other way, it’s usually said to provide tighter lows and mellower highs. If the pickup is just misaligned, somebody goofed.

Brguy

« Reply #197 on: April 01, 2022, 11:15:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You mean angled like a fender bridge pickup or just not lined up square with the strings?  If angled like pretty strat/tele bridge, the theory is the closer to the bridge, the “tighter” and closer to the neck is bassier,  so lower lows and higher highs. If it’s angled the other way, it’s usually said to provide tighter lows and mellower highs. If the pickup is just misaligned, somebody goofed.
Not so much a theory when you consider how it's exactly how it sounds on neck/bridge pickups.

SchizophrenicFatBoy

« Reply #198 on: April 01, 2022, 11:32:52 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I don't think you'll be able to use an expression pedal with any of those dirt pedals. Fuzz faces are famous for cleaning up when you turn the guitars volume knob down, so I'd give that some practice.

I also don't know what ernie ball overdrive you have, but honestly you should be fine with those other three dirt pedals. I wouldn't worry about trying to get everything you have chained up all the time.
Thanks for the recommendation. I underestimated the Boss pedals.

I can't get the Fuzzface or Wah to work. When the Fuzzface is on, I can't get any sound from the output. When it's off, the overdrive/blues driver/metal zone work.

I daisy chained the pedals to the power supply on the back of the pedal board. All of the pedals are 9V but I do have three 18V slots. I'm not sure what to do, or if I need to use batteries for the Dunlop Wah & Fuzzface Mini. I don't want to experiment because I read that I can short circuit the pedals by using the wrong batteries or cables.

edit: Wah pedal has some issue but everything else is great.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2022, 03:31:50 PM by SchizophrenicFatBoy »

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #199 on: April 02, 2022, 07:37:19 AM »
I love boss/Digitech. Japan should always be proud of their goods an shiz.

Expand Quote
[close]

So the bridge humbucker is sunken on the side with the pole pieces. Best way I can describe it is it’s like a little wedge ramp if you dropped in from the abr1.

Also I opened the control cavity. What a mess. They definitely used some dull ass bits when Routing it out and I need to shield it better.

I noticed it has white clips to plug in the pickups to the pots which are tiny little things.

I was wondering it’s a 2004 guitar and it doesn’t have a pcb system but does that mean I can just hit up Gibson and ask them for a replacement pickup for a pcb system and just plug it in without Soldering it?
(A)pl(E)

beandemon

« Reply #200 on: April 02, 2022, 09:21:24 AM »
I love boss/Digitech. Japan should always be proud of their goods an shiz.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

So the bridge humbucker is sunken on the side with the pole pieces. Best way I can describe it is it’s like a little wedge ramp if you dropped in from the abr1.

Also I opened the control cavity. What a mess. They definitely used some dull ass bits when Routing it out and I need to shield it better.

I noticed it has white clips to plug in the pickups to the pots which are tiny little things.

I was wondering it’s a 2004 guitar and it doesn’t have a pcb system but does that mean I can just hit up Gibson and ask them for a replacement pickup for a pcb system and just plug it in without Soldering it?
Ah, gotcha. I don’t know exactly which method your guitar uses for pickup height adjustment, but make sure it’s not binding on the low side first. If it’s using something like foam under the pickups to act like a spring against the height adjustment screws, add more on the low side to raise it up.

There’s a few companies doing solderless connectors to make swaps easier, but there’s no standard so I still think soldering is the way to go. PCB’s are way harder to mod or work on. There’s so few components, it only makes sense for manufacturing, not serviceability.

Andmoreagain

« Reply #201 on: April 03, 2022, 09:28:10 AM »
I bought a $38 clone of the worlds most expensive overdrive pedal on wish.com.

It sounds really nice but I couldn't imagine spending $3000 on one lol.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #202 on: April 06, 2022, 06:46:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I can't get the Fuzzface or Wah to work. When the Fuzzface is on, I can't get any sound from the output. When it's off, the overdrive/blues driver/metal zone work.

I daisy chained the pedals to the power supply on the back of the pedal board. All of the pedals are 9V but I do have three 18V slots. I'm not sure what to do, or if I need to use batteries for the Dunlop Wah & Fuzzface Mini. I don't want to experiment because I read that I can short circuit the pedals by using the wrong batteries or cables.

Only use the 18v outputs for pedals that can handle it. If they can, it's usually noted. Otherwise, you could fry the pedal if you give it too much.

Not sure how to help with the wah. Maybe take it to the guitar store and see if anyone there has anything to say.

How do you guys feel about wahs in general? A lot of players I like used them and it's pretty common in psych rock, but I feel like I hate how it's used in most other things. Like its super cheesy, but it's cool when Ron Asheton uses it. Fast playing bluesy guys and shredders can fuck off with the wah.

krookedjuice

• Rep: 31
« Reply #203 on: April 06, 2022, 10:47:32 AM »
Don't feel like taking pictures at the moment but picked this up a little while back.

i've been putting off buying this for a while:  https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SeaMachineV3--earthquaker-devices-sea-machine-v3-chorus-pedal
there's some used for a solid price and might pull the trigger. anyone use that or know of anything comparable?  all the videos of people demoing that seems to have the tone i'm after.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #204 on: April 06, 2022, 01:58:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Only use the 18v outputs for pedals that can handle it. If they can, it's usually noted. Otherwise, you could fry the pedal if you give it too much.

Not sure how to help with the wah. Maybe take it to the guitar store and see if anyone there has anything to say.

How do you guys feel about wahs in general? A lot of players I like used them and it's pretty common in psych rock, but I feel like I hate how it's used in most other things. Like its super cheesy, but it's cool when Ron Asheton uses it. Fast playing bluesy guys and shredders can fuck off with the wah.

I like wah for soloing. It makes my crust so much doper. I pretend I’m slash.
Don't feel like taking pictures at the moment but picked this up a little while back.

i've been putting off buying this for a while:  https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SeaMachineV3--earthquaker-devices-sea-machine-v3-chorus-pedal
there's some used for a solid price and might pull the trigger. anyone use that or know of anything comparable?  all the videos of people demoing that seems to have the tone i'm after.

My first nice guitar was a G&l strat in this colour kinda. I got it at an antique shop in Marblehead in the 90s. They had mad guitars at the time. I was just learning. We took it apart to re finish and when my homie Brett died I lost it.

The guitar was so nice. I wish I had it today.
(A)pl(E)

Andmoreagain

« Reply #205 on: April 06, 2022, 02:35:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I like wah for soloing. It makes my crust so much doper. I pretend I’m slash.
Expand Quote

[close]

My first nice guitar was a G&l strat in this colour kinda. I got it at an antique shop in Marblehead in the 90s. They had mad guitars at the time. I was just learning. We took it apart to re finish and when my homie Brett died I lost it.

The guitar was so nice. I wish I had it today.
Those G&L strats are sick. Especially the older ones.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 04:23:55 PM by Andmoreagain »

SchizophrenicFatBoy

« Reply #206 on: April 06, 2022, 02:59:01 PM »
I got the wah to work by putting it in front of the Fuzzface Mini. Wah only sounds okay if I use it in transitions but it's not really my thing. Sometimes, I spend too much time experimenting with it, and it almost makes sounds similar to a talkbox. If Jimi didn't use it, I probably wouldn't have bought one.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #207 on: April 06, 2022, 06:44:39 PM »
I got the wah to work by putting it in front of the Fuzzface Mini. Wah only sounds okay if I use it in transitions but it's not really my thing. Sometimes, I spend too much time experimenting with it, and it almost makes sounds similar to a talkbox. If Jimi didn't use it, I probably wouldn't have bought one.

All jimi’s gear was modified.
When I get a new wah I adjust the little wheel inside and re grease it. I wish I knew how to mod the peddle to get a larger sweep.

(A)pl(E)

ilovegay

• Rep: 9
« Reply #208 on: April 20, 2022, 06:35:36 PM »
I am looking into buying a new acoustic guitar. I consider myself a decent player, and want something with a good sound for playing around the house and recording on GarageBand. I currently just have a couple crappy ones and want something new that sounds good and is fun to play.

I am intrigued by the baby Taylor’s and the Fender Malibu, but I don’t know anything about small bodies. 

I am probably willing to drop about a grand and am just wondering if anyone has any good recommendations.

I just need to hit up a couple shops and start playing around, but any recommendations would be appreciated.

artskool

• Rep: 31
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #209 on: April 26, 2022, 12:38:33 PM »
I've recently been playing smaller bodied guitars- got a 70's Yamaha FG75 that is super comfortable for playing around the house. Sounds pretty decent, but not amazing recorded. Much better than a modern day cheap acoustic if you can find a good one. Some of the recording king small body guitars are pretty cool for under $500, but don't sound that amazing.

You might be able to find a used Martin 15 series, which are super nice to play and sound pretty great. I'm thinking about selling my 2007 DC-15E to upgrade to a more $$$ Martin. DM me if you're interested.

I am looking into buying a new acoustic guitar. I consider myself a decent player, and want something with a good sound for playing around the house and recording on GarageBand. I currently just have a couple crappy ones and want something new that sounds good and is fun to play.

I am intrigued by the baby Taylor’s and the Fender Malibu, but I don’t know anything about small bodies. 

I am probably willing to drop about a grand and am just wondering if anyone has any good recommendations.

I just need to hit up a couple shops and start playing around, but any recommendations would be appreciated.